• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

The computer which I use is the family computer. It's rather meh. It has a quite good graphics card (I don't know any specifics off the top of my head) and is running on Ubuntu. Dat's about it. :P

• Brohoof 1

The computer which I use is the family computer. It's rather meh. It has a quite good graphics card (I don't know any specifics off the top of my head) and is running on Ubuntu. Dat's about it. :P

YAY for Ubuntu!

My working box is following:

Core2Quad 2.4GHz

4GB RAM

ATi HD6770

2x 24" Asus FullHD monitors

Kubuntu 11.10 //Makes the awesome!

At home I've got a 27" 2.8GHz i5 iMac

• Brohoof 2

you can find out your graphics card name by doing this in the terminal ;)

lspci | grep "VGA"
  • Brohoof 1

As long as I can watch Ponies on Youtube, it can be called a computer. Even if it's a PC. And even if it's Vista.

So true my friend. :)

I run two Mac OS X's. The laptop is slower than Tank, but the desktop can compete with Rainbow Dash.

(edited)

Phenom II X4 955 (was going to get a Bulldozer but everypony knows how they turned out)

Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard (more on that in a minute)

Radeon 6970

8GBs DDR3-1600 (G.Skill Ripjaws - great value, but I had to set the timings manually because they defaulted to 1066)

NZXT White Phantom case (wanted the black or red but white was on sale at Newegg at the time)

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 for just about everything, Windows 7 for all modern games and most of my Steam library; and Windows XP for some older stuff that doesn't work well with Win7, Wine, or any other emulation technique. Triple-booting is a bit of a pain, but I can live with it.

I have one problem with the motherboard: it has a Realtek 8111E network adapter. This is only a problem with Linux. The Linux kernel includes the r8169 driver and as far as I know it works well with all NICs that require it, but it doesn't have the r8168 driver that I need for this NIC. So I downloaded the latest driver from Realtek's site. The installation script doesn't work, so I extracted it myself and added it to my kernel modules list for it to load at boot. My network adapter is still using the wrong driver. I completely delete (or so I thought) the r8169 module and blacklist it. It's still using it. No matter how much I struggle I can't get it to use the proper module. Most of the time my network connection works normally, but at times it gets dreadfully slow or unresponsive. I happened to have a PCI 8169SC Realtek network card laying about so I installed it, resulting in kernel panics I haven't been able to solve. I also have a wireless Realtek adapter plugged into a different computer running XP that constantly drops the connection and needs a frequent driver reinstallation.

The moral of this story is don't buy a Realtek network card under any circumstances if you're using Linux, and even if all you use is Windows and Mac you should probably avoid them as well. Always check what kind of NIC a mobo has before you buy it, and if it's a Realtek 8111E, BUY A DIFFERENT BOARD. I can't tell you how many forums I've crawled through looking for a solution, and many others are afflicted with this problem too. Realtek has always sucked. We use a PXE at work for imaging computers and using many other useful utilities. We just bought a large quantity of laptops with Realtek network adapters that won't pixie boot properly and we've been struggling with reconfiguring the driver to make it work.

If you're thinking of buying a cheap, store brand network adapter of any sort, you should probably pass it up for a reputable brand like linksys or netgear. Most of those products, Newegg's Rosewill network adapters for example, are cheap, re-branded Realtek devices.

thats the downfall of playing on pcs :(

when you finally get something put together its already virtually outdated

oh ya, it'll definitely be easier. At least you know if you buy a xbox this year it'll still play games designed for it next year

Well, the computer can become a bit archaic, but a rig that can smoke a new console when it's launched will always vastly outperform it. I built my computer sometime near the end of 2006, and it could decimate the PS3. Obviously the same was true five years later. I couldn't play everything "maxed out" anymore, but what I got was still far superior to the console experience. I wanted more, so in November of last year I rebuilt it with modern hardware, but there was no need if I was content with my already superior visuals; I wanted more, but I didn't need it. I don't know where people get the idea that just because newer hardware exists than what they have that they must upgrade. Or that computers require constant upgrades to keep up with the consoles, whose hardware never changes.

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 1

Main PC

-----------

core i5 quad

4 ggb ddr3

2TB HDD

ATI Radeon 5770HD 1GB DDR 5 limited edition supa dupa cooling (dunno the actual name, but something along these words :D)

Screen: 2x 15" CRT at 1024x768 (Hay, bet I have better colors and response rate then 90% of you folks! :D Plus, at such resolution I can still run everything maxed even tho the PC is almost 2 years old now.

Notebook

-------------

Eee PC 1000H, 1 GB RAM, but hey, what Fghik said

Older PCs:

-------------

Amd Sempron 2600+

512mb ram

win 2000 Professional -2nd best OS after win7!

some good ol' nvidia card with 128mb gram

Amd Sempron 2800+

ATI Radeon 2600+ pro AGP

1GB ram

40gb hdd

Then I have six other PCs with 486s or 386s, but I don't really use them.

I run XP on my desktop back home.

It's a decent machine, though it can't really run newer games on anything but low.

However I plan on getting another PC when i'm back , so hopefully i'll have something that'll be ready for "Next-Gen"

(edited)

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz

2 GB of ram

Inspiron 530

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460 1GB

500 watt power

with 1 TB of space

Not to sure what else to tell you, Might upgrade to a ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5

Edited by Simcity11100

I use two computers.

One for gaming one for old school stuff.

Gaming rigg:

OS: Windows 7 and some sort of ubuntu distro. (I change these alot)

Inctel Core i7 960 @ 3,5 Ghz (Runs stable there. It's original clock was 3,2)

12 Gb of 1600mhz RAM.

1 300 Gb WD Velociraptor 10000rpm . (I got it cheap)

1 1Tb WD HDD 5900 rpm

1 2TB Seagate HDD 5900 rpm

1 HIS HD5870 Icooler V

DVD RW.

No extra soundcard.

And at the moment i'm running two screens.

Main screen: Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920x1200

Secondary: BenQ G2420HD 24" 1920*1080

Secondary:

This one is a old Compaq from about 1999

Intel pentium 3. at aboutish 2Ghz.

1,5 Gb of RAM.

3 HDDs at a total of 120 Gb

GeForce3 Ti 200

1 Cd rom.

1 DVD RW.

EDIT:

Oops... Forgot my school laptop.

Hp Probook 13"

Intel core i3 @ 2,4Ghz

4Gb Ram

Intel HD 3000 Graphics

320Gb HDD

Screen: 1366*768

(This computer i pay for through my school. So no OC or dualbooting here)

And that's it.

pfft, windows 98? wish owned a working piece of old hardware.

I run XP on my desktop back home.

It's a decent machine, though it can't really run newer games on anything but low.

However I plan on getting another PC when i'm back , so hopefully i'll have something that'll be ready for "Next-Gen"

windows 8 is coming out soon. Windows 7 is a really good OS though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I run a custom rig i built about a year now. I never really gave it a name of its own, maybe I will some day.

Dekstop Specs:

* Cooler Master HAF 932 Case

* AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2Ghz

* ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AMD 890FX AM3

* 6GB of Corsair PC12800 DDR3 Ram

* EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB GDDR5

* Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

* Razer Naga Molten MMO Gaming Mouse

* HP 24" LCD Monitor

I am really in love with this new keyboard I recently bought, The Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, it was $80, but i feel its an investment worth while since a good keyboard is important when you spent as much time on the computer as I do. That and I really love the clicky sound it makes whenever I am typing. I never want to stop typing because of it hehe.

I also have a HP DV7 laptop, and a Dell Mini (Inspiron 910) Netbook.

Edited by Zelorin

Laptop specs (mostly taken off of my control panel since I can't remember everything off the top of my head):

• Model: HP Pavilion dv7 (3063-cl according to the labels on the bottom)
  • Processor: AMD Turion II Dual-Core M520, running at 2.30 GHz
  • 4.00 GB of RAM
  • 500GB hard drive

I don't think it's anything special, but I think it boots up and runs at a nice pace so I'm happy. At least right now it's not my mom's old desktop computer, which is some HP machine with Windows XP and (last I checked) 256MB of RAM. It takes forever to completely boot up, or at least to the point where it can open up and run Firefox; she's timed it at over half an hour. :blink:

This is just my opinion, but the way I see it; not knowing your computer's hardware is as stupid as not knowing what you drive to work every day.

Well that really depends on how computer savvy you are and how much you care about computer specs. The same goes cars, some people might only know the make and model and that it's because they aren't interested in the finer details.

I bought a Sony Vaio laptop last year, mostly to cater gaming and portability.

Specs:

• Windows 7 64-Bit
  • Intel i7 2630QM @ 2.00Ghz (2.9Ghz Turbo Boost)
  • Nvidia GeForce GT540M Overclocked @ 800Mhz 1GB DDR3
  • 500GB Hard Drive + 1Tb Portable Hard Drive.
  • 4.00 GB RAM
  • Blu Ray Disc Drive
It is pretty decent for what I need it for, comfortably runs Battlefield 3 at medium settings and runs most games pre-2009 at max settings.

I'll go first.

Regular laptop:

2.9GHz AMD Phenom II x2 N640

320GB HDD

4GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

Windows 7 Home Premium

Developer laptop:

1.9GHz AMD Athlon II 64 x2

160GB HDD

3GB DDR2 RAM

nVIDIA Geforce 8200G M

Unwind Linux 2013 (soon, now it's just Arch Linux)

I know my developer laptop sucks, which is why I'm going to look for a new one LOL. You?

2.6GHZ AMD athlon X2 dual core Processor 5000+

1TB+ HDD

2GB RAM

32-bit OS Windows 7 ultimate

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT + DirectX 11

A pretty crappy PC when it comes to gaming, but it has a lot of space.

Oh.. and the OS is legit.. I SWEAR!