Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FiM Comic Book Series Discussion

lardbobobo

It has a little bit of the canon elements in the show while, the elements in the comics are in the middle when you relate it to the fans head canon of the show or some of the canon in the show. So, I would suggest reading the comics to find out.

I love and thoroughly enjoy the comics, and I really do think they should be considered canon.
I mean, they're official, right? They're endorsed by Hasbro, the comic team does work closely with the show's writers, and they fit in so well with the show. They're in fact so true to the show, both in the writing and in the general lore that I'd like to think that they provide a different insight into the world that can't be incorporated into the show, and the comics are just so well done that personally, I do consider them canon. 

I think the comic COVERS should be canon. Botcon had an exclusive cover with Optimus Prime holding Pinkie Pie. This puts MLP in the Transformers universe. Transformers also crossed over with GI Joe, so that puts them all in the same universe. I'm sure the connection can be taken further.

Edited by BronyNumber42

Like all content, it's as canon as you want it to be. The *show* conflicts with itself on some minor points already, and that's just going to grow as time goes on. Plus the 'officially canon' books with their differences show this up even clearer. The comics, because there are more of them and they're aimed at a different audience, will trend more blatant as well.

It's something you'll get used to. Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who fans have had a much longer time to come to grips with the shifting canon and 'expanded universe' concepts, so it's not unexpected for MLP:FiM to start feeling the effects of this now. Take a page from their books.

The bit that usually tips the brain, is when you realize that MLP:FiM is actually fanfiction itself, based on the G1 movies that Lauren Faust watched when she was a kid. And that the current writers are effectively writing fanfiction based on Lauren's stuff. Other than Hasbro's stamp of approval, who doesn't really care as long as it continues to advertise toys, there's nothing to differentiate any of this stuff outside of possibly some subjective quality levels.

The point of fandom is we get to choose how we tell the story of my little pony friendship is magic canon or non-canon. I'm sure those artists in IDW felt the same.

If it were up to me, I'd marry Rarity and have her ditch spike. XD Naw just kidding. But that's besides the point.

Well I can't really answer this question, so I'll pick indifferent. The reason is because I have not read any of the comics so I don't really know what to think. I mean, I have no clue about what happens in them or something. I hope I will be able to buy one on the internet sometime (can't buy them in Sweden :P ) but every time I check the ones I want are sold out :v

Well, Andy Price himself said how canon the works were was up to us, the readers. I personally see them as semi-canon, that they can be seen as canon as long as the story of the comic in question does not conflict with what we see in the show, which I see as the higher canon authority. Therefore, if there ever is a clash, I'll go with the show.

I'd like to use this topic to talk about the recent IDW comic issues 9 and 10, a two parter centered around Big Macintosh. (Will contain spoilers so if you didn't read it back out of the page to avoid spoiling any details)

Some hot topics I'd like to discuss are:

•Big Mac's mind/thinking process (and his role as a story's protagonist)

•Fleetfoot (and some other BG pony) in love with Big Mac

•Luna and Big Mac on the Ferris Wheel

•Luna's Shirt

•Summer Wrap Up?

•Cheerilee speculation

•Snips' talent speculation

•Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's Charlie Brown reference

•Big Mac Saves the future

•Mane Six referencing a "Sun Stone" adventure

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)

*Ahem*

Well it seems either no one here reads the comics or I just need to kick start this:

Personally while reading this I thought the bombshell of the comic was a subtle panel in #10 of Princess Luna giving Big Mac a kiss on the cheek. (He was hilariously startled) I was caught off guard by this because was the most unexpected thing to happen in the arc.

Normally romantic pairings bother me however this one didnt. Unlike most pairings Luna and Big Mac had a previously growing bond in the last comic (#9). The two of them were partners in the summer wrap up festival games and grew together as a team and friends (Luna forced him to be her partner at first but he started to enjoy himself later). This is when Luna tells him she likes talking to him and enthusiastically begins a scavenger hunt while he sneaks away. Despite him avoiding her in #9 he somehow ends up on a Ferris wheel with her in #10.

So for this one time for me this romantic pairing will be acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy folks!

I picked up Volume 10 of MLP Comic as Big Mac's arc concludes and gotta say its pretty neat.

There were :lol:  moments in there (I wont spoil) but it turned out good.

In the Micro Comic, Princess Celestia has her own story and I liked it.

No spoliers here but lets just say its well worth getting. ;)

Cant wait for Volume 11 wich will have a new arc Featuring Shining Armor & Princess Cadence.

The Next Micro comic iis Spike The Dragon In November and The Micro series concludes in December with Princess Luna.

Dont worry theres the MLP Annual,the comic version of Equestria Girls movie.

(And not to mention the EG novel by GM Berrow)

Both will come out in October.

And look for the MLP Animated series comic as well.

See ya!

Where is the best place to get the Micros? I've only been reading the main series since they're at Hot Topic. I guess I'd have to hit up a Comic Book store. There is a new one that opened up last month not too far from where I live, so maybe I'll check there.

I recently read issues nine and ten of the My Little Pony comic, and I enjoyed them quite thoroughly. It was nice seeing a bunch of characters, like Trixie and the Flim Flam brothers, and I think Big Mac was written and handled very well.

I've only read the first two main arcs, but so far I'm really not impressed. Am I the only one who doesn't like those comics?

The writing is really lacking interesting stories, it's filled with in-your-face forced shout-outs and background references, the characterisation is really weak compared to the show and the comics jump the shark several times for absolutely no reason.

Seriously, the Chrysalis arc has the mane six fall for the old "turning against each other" trick that discord pulled, for moronic reasons. They know they're going up against shape-shifter who can impersonate them, yet instantly fall for it. The brony cave troll gag was supposed to be witty, but just felt incredibly awkward and forced. Most of the trouble that the ponies got into was pointless padding with shark jumping after shark jumping. Worse part is, the story didn't lead anywhere and there was no fresh and new moral to it.

Then there's the Nighmare Rarity arc. Filled with pointless padding, Luna has shitty characterisation, the Nightmare Forces are a complete asspull and actually manage to make Luna seem dull and uninteresting, the whole evil plan make no sense, and the interactions between Luna and the Ponyvillians punches a massive plot hole in Luna eclipsed.

I don't know if the later issues get better, but from what I've seen, these comics really fail to deliver.

Howdy folks!

In case people are wondering how i get my MLP Comics I get them at the local comic books shops where I live.

(There a 2 in my area)

But yes the last issues were great and cant wait what IDW has planned for 2014.

See ya!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading the comics and getting a lot of great information from them.  I'm wondering, are they canon?  Can anypony get confirmation from a reliable source on whether or not they are.  What do you think?

I've never read the comics, but if I had to guess, I don't think they would be canon. Reason being is because if it was, wouldn't the show make references to events that happened in the comics? 

They're as canon as anything else, to be honest. Given that several of the books (not comics) are billed as canon by Hasbro and have already contradicted the show in some ways, it's pretty obvious that canon is a lot more fluid than many would hope.

The writers for the comics are in contact with the writers of the show, and supposedly are trying to avoid any major contradictions with each other. But that will only extend so far.

Personally, I'm used to situations where there is no actual canon. Most comics, anime, and the like self-contradict on a regular basis. And my primary fandom is actually Doctor Who, where trying to assemble a canon time-line out of that mess is a pointless exercise.

So this obsession everyone has with canon in MLP is actually kind of amusing to me. laugh.png

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 1

I feel that if a canon is to be established then undermining it by creating contradictory canon is a bad idea because the process will ruin fiction. Long established fiction such as Star Wars was ruined in that way. I don't think the comics are canon. They are likely separate stories from FiM. I don't know about the books but I hope they aren't canon either. They shouldn't be.

well,

ones cannon for one thing and ones cannon for the other.

The books are there own mythos.

See when you overly put to much hope into things like that you set yourself up for soul crushing disappointments like the star wars fan base did with their books.

The comics greatly add to the lore of MLP: FiM, and even cover a number of plotholes, as it goes into detail like the show never could.

For example more information on Queen Chrysalis and the changelings. There is Nightmare Moon going into more detail on Princess Luna and the force that turned her into Nightmare Moon.

Honestly, as long as there's no major contradictions, I feel the comics should be treated as canon... or I should say those my personal feelings on the subject.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

Unfortunately, they are not canon.

It would be great though, as they have and do a whole bunch of stuff that hasn't been seen on the original, and it's a fan's dream ideas come true!

But either way, I'm just glad to see some non canon fun with the comics of any kind. 

Twilight Sparkle the Crystal Heart Spells can be treated as canon and so can the comics be treated as such. Both are officially sponsored merchandise by Hasbro, officially published books and comics.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

Howdy all!

Im back and picked up Volume 11 of the comic featuring a new story arc involving Shining Armor & Princess Cadence.

For those who are curious how Shining first met Cadence you're in for a treat wink.png

Without spoliers I liked it and its funnylaugh.png

(Nearly fell out of my chair)

Cant wait for the conclusion next month.

Not to mention the MLP Annual (Equestria Girls comic)

The EG Novel

And the Animated series book as well.

See ya!

Edited by OtakuBrony