Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you dislike your first name?

Le Kvlt Dawn

Honestly I dont hate my first name but I do still dislike it. Mostly because everyone spells it wrong or pronounces it wrong. Seriously how do you just magically add another letter to a name!? But other than that I still like my name a bit even if it is fairly common around where I live (I know about 4 other people in my neighbor hood with the same first name)

I don't dislike it, it's just my last name which is the real problem, it's so easy to make fun of and make nicknames out of. My first name is Caitlin, which is pretty normal :)

Haha, oh, Caitlin just so happens to be my favorite female name (with that exact spelling aswell) ;P

My name is Marco. Which is, uh, okay I guess. I get asked a lot if I'm Italian though :s

My name is Dakota, and I really don't like that name.  I find it rather annoying to say and write down on papers.  I'd rather be a Sean.

Why would you rather be a Sean? and a Sean spelled that way? Why not Shaun? or Shawn? Does it matter which way it's spelled to you or do you just not care?  Personally if I was going to spell that name I would spell it Shawn first. 

Yeah I only know two other Avery's personally. Another fun fact, when my gf went to some college fair a guy hit on her and his name was also Avery, talk about weird hunh? I thought that was hilarious. Eh as for Pointdexter I don't think it would have worked for me, I could see myself being called Dexter, but since I'm so used to hearing Avery it doesn't ring as well. :P

Whoop his rump. Haha, that is a coincidence though.

There are a bunch of male/female names that I can't stand.

No offense to you all, but there are a bunch of;

Sam

Pat

Jess

Logans

Dylans

Alex

Dan

These are ones that I don't like. I'm sorry if I offend, but I know both a female and male with each of these names. It's difficult to explain; I just can't put my tongue on why I don't like 'em.

Why would you rather be a Sean? and a Sean spelled that way? Why not Shaun? or Shawn? Does it matter which way it's spelled to you or do you just not care?  Personally if I was going to spell that name I would spell it Shawn first. 

I like that spelling, and in all honesty I pulled that name out of no where.  It's one of many.  On the list there is Wolfgang, DJ, and Aj

Jon. Just... Jon. It feels kind of bland on my tongue. My middle name's Carlo, and I'm puertorican, so normally I would've been named juan/juancarlo, which sounds a lot better to me. But no, it's just Jon, meh. I can't say I hate my name, but I just don't like it. Plus, there's 5 Jons/Johns in my grade, so it gets kind of annoying when you turn around every 20 seconds to someone calling out to the jock with the same name as you, just to get yelled at by a pissy for not looking forward.

I really like my first name!  I knew several people who share the same name i do.  Although I prefer  being called by the first four letters of my name.  if you call me by my full first name.  It makes me feel like i did something wrong. 

Edited by angels_gal

I like that spelling, and in all honesty I pulled that name out of no where.  It's one of many.  On the list there is Wolfgang, DJ, and Aj

Lol, I want to name my son (when I settle down, hopefully with my current gf after college) Edward James (first and middle names) and called him EJ. Any thoughts? I really like the thought of it. My mother said she named me Avery because she didn't want me to have a nickname, yet here she is calling me "Ave"  -_-  *sigh* I want to call my son EJ and then when something is actually wrong, then I will refer to him as Edward .

• Brohoof 1

Lol, I want to name my son (when I settle down, hopefully with my current gf after college) Edward James (first and middle names) and called him EJ. Any thoughts? I really like the thought of it. My mother said she named me Avery because she didn't want me to have a nickname, yet here she is calling me "Ave"  -_-  *sigh* I want to call my son EJ and then when something is actually wrong, then I will refer to him as Edward .

EJ is a rather different name as I haven't heard that combination of letters anywhere.  Edward is another name that is different, don't know alot of Edwards.

EJ is a rather different name as I haven't heard that combination of letters anywhere.  Edward is another name that is different, don't know alot of Edwards.

That is exactly why I want to name him that.  Apparently my mother was very close to naming me Elijah James (My middle name is Elijah) and Frankly I don't like the name.  It took me so long growing up to learn how to spell it.  ): but I did like the James, so I changed it to Edward because I love that name..... mostly because of this: 

If you don't know Cowboy Bebop that character's name is Edward and he is just adorable.So yeah that's kinda how I came up with Edward James. :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't particularly feel comfortable giving out my name, but I'll talk about it.

As first names go, I guess it's alright. It's a nice name, as a name. However, I feel that it's horribly unsuited to me. To me, I feel like the kind of people who tend to have my name are the exact opposite of what I am. To me, it seems like the kind of name that posh, popular, materialistic, shop-aholic girls would have. And that's not me at all, and the very thought kinda makes me cringe. Not that there's anything wrong with that if someone wants to do that, but it's just not for me. For that reason, I prefer to go by a nickname by anyone who's close to me. I feel that it's much, much more suited to me. I've even considered changing my name to that name, before. But I at this stage in my life, living overseas, there'd be too much complication with changing all my documents. And there's also the fact that my name isn't technically a real name, so I feel like I'd end up facing a lot of ridicule for it, or at best, confusion. It seems like it'd be a real hassle to have my nickname as my real name, even though that's how I think of myself, and to me, that's who I am. But that's basically what I think of my name.

To reply to the original poster, though...

I kinda hate my name. My name is Jimmy. What I dislike about it is that it's supposed to be a nickname for James but, my name is NOT James. So I get asked "Is your name James?" a lot and it's pissing me off. Why couldn't I have a had a more "normal" name?

So anyone else have any similar issues with their name?

I once had an English teacher with that problem. Her real first name was Angie, but everyone would always think that her name was Angela. It was an annoyance for her, as well. So while I don't personally share your experience, there definitely are people out there who do, even if they're not on this forum.

Edited by Clover Heart

I have an usual name. Kendi. My mother named me it for who knows what reason. You would think that having an unique name would be a good thing. Nupe. I have issues with people spelling/saying my name wrong. I've gotten "Kandi" "Candi" "Kyndi" "Kindi" and all sorts of variations. A pain. @_@

I have an usual name. Kendi. My mother named me it for who knows what reason. You would think that having an unique name would be a good thing. Nupe. I have issues with people spelling/saying my name wrong. I've gotten "Kandi" "Candi" "Kyndi" "Kindi" and all sorts of variations. A pain. @_@

Seems like it's honestly just not that hard to pronounce it.   I'm saying Ken (as in like Ken-yah) and then Dee at the end.  Ken-dee phonetically. 

Seems like it's honestly just not that hard to pronounce it.   I'm saying Ken (as in like Ken-yah) and then Dee at the end.  Ken-dee phonetically. 

You are right. It really isn't that hard to pronounce at all. But for some reason some people can't seem to wrap their mind around it.

no, but i like my middle name a  little better. (Maria ^_^  NOT MARIE :angry: )  there were 7 girls in my /homeroom/ that had the same first name as me. D: 

my mothers other plan for my name? FELICIA  wthay.

the army changed my grandpa's name.  he was born as herman jr, and the army said no, jr is not a middle name.. so now the jr is at the end and he doesnt have a middle name haha.  i dont know why his folks just didnt call him herman william---jr.  ? 

Edited by SweetJeans88

I've probably posted before, but I'm posting again, because that's just how I roll.

Cameron. Ca-me-ron. The more I say it, the more I don't like it. I suppose it's decent, but it means "bent nose" in Scottish. I don't really want to be known as "bent nose boy" or anything of the sort. My friends call me "Ca-moron", which I'm totally alright with. Ca-moron sounds a lot better than Cameron, in my opinion. I guess I like my middle name (Michael). It's quite a common name, but it's common for a reason. It's a good-sounding name. As for my family name... What are you, some kind of crazy stalker?

I don't dislike my IRL name, but it's kinda meh.

I'm 'Greg'. Just....'Greg'.

It's not bad, per se, but it's...well, normal. It doesn't say anything about me, who I am, what my personality is....

That's kind of why I LOVE it when everypony online calls me by Night Shine, or 'Nighty', or 'Shine', or any other nicknames. :3 It's cute, it has a lot of deeper meaning (I may be just a normal moody kid by day, but I shine at night <3), and it always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling whenever anypony calls me by it. :D

Now for me it depends on where you want to ask my first name...since here, actually your surname is your first name (No, I'm not Japanese or wherever they have it like us as well)

I'm ok with my non-surname first name (no, I'm not really called Zacharias, it's just a nickname OF a nickname), it's pretty rare and it doesn't sound like shit in English (actually my surname can literally be translated to English which will be useful if I ever move to Canada or the US)

Edited by Zacharias