Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you dislike your first name?

Le Kvlt Dawn

By the bloody hand of the First Born Son do I hate my name. It's Zachary, but I shorten it to Zak (no, I didn't spell that wrong). There is, at minimum, one Zak for every twenty'r so houses in my town. If you stand in a crowded mall and say, at normal volume, the name Zak in this town, about eight people will respond to it on instinct. It's so annoying!  :angry:

Edited by UmbraScriptor

Nope, not at all, my name is Kevin and I like it a lot! It's the word that identifies me and everyone in real life knows me by that name so I really like it. It's a little bit strange since it is not a common name in my country but that makes it more original, and it is alright for me.

I got used to it, though I'm not a big fan of my name. And for some unknown reason, I like it more in English. Evelyn sounds much better than Ewelina XD

I think it is awesome! Which language is Ewelina in?

At first I didn't like my first name, but it's really growing on me. It's uncommon in my area too, so bonus points to my parents for being original and not picking 'Lauren'.

I think it is awesome! Which language is Ewelina in?

Polish, I think. w is used instead of v in Polish.

My first name is Thomas, although I much prefer to be called Tom. I was told that my original name was going to be Sam, but... to be honest, I'd rather be Tom than Sam.

• Brohoof 1

Let's see... Dionysios. I have the name of two saints one of which forgave his brother's killer, and another who was judge of High Court in Athens and was one of the first believers of Jesus, i have the name of the Ancient Greek god of Wine and Revelry. I feel kinda proud really... but i guess i am not disliking it.

• Brohoof 1

I kinda hate my name. My name is Jimmy. What I dislike about it is that it's supposed to be a nickname for James but, my name is NOT James. So I get asked "Is your name James?" a lot and it's pissing me off. Why couldn't I have a had a more "normal" name?

So anyone else have any similar issues with their name? 

My husband is named James, and I hate it when people call him Jim or Jimmy....what I don't understand is that James and Jim are single syllable words that really make no difference in terms of calling someone either names. Plus, Jimmy is 2 syallables, making it longer to say, so what gives? I guess I am at the opposite end of spectrum from you over what people call my husband....that and I had a really grumpy butt boss named Jim....

Edited by Treble Bolt

Always hated "Jeremy" - sounds too 'fancy' for my tastes. That, and too much association with a certain Pearl Jam song. I much prefer to be addressed by my first and middle initials, J.V., or just by variations of my middle name (Vin, Vince, Vinny). Although I suppose it could be worse; mom originally wanted to name me Patrick.

No offense intended towards anyone here named Patrick, of course. I'm sure I'd like the name a lot more if it weren't associated with a certain slack-jawed starfish. :huh:

nope, i actually like it! i mean, i can't imagine calling myself anything other then "Jeroen".

also, it's fun to watch americans struggle with how you pronounce it! :3

Something along the lines of yuh-rune? :P

Edited by Thrashy

@, close, tough not quite there :P

i think it's sounds more in the direction of something like 'yehroon'... tough it's really hard to explain since the R is pronounced harder then in the american tongue

I've grown to like it over the last year or so, kinda wish I had a more unique name, but I can't really complain. Actually, despite how common it is I don't really remember meeting anyone with my name.

I really, really hate it when people call me Jim, which my family refuses to stop doing.

I love my name since it's not all that common and it will fit nicely once I'm an elderly woman, but I do have one problem with it;

My first name is Marlene. Now, did you read that as Mar-leen? If so, I may correct you and say that it's actually Mar-lane-uh, but at this point after enduring years of it being mispronounced in school no matter how many times I correct some people, I don't correct anyone anymore unless they're people I respect and want to get to know better. 

(edited)

Not really. My first name is so... Different. I have always been made fun of in school because of it. At school, a few people find pronouncing my name awkward, so they call me something else. I got used to it though. I'm not posting it because it is so different that I'm sure by looking it up you'd find me as the first result.

Edited by Judgement

Well if you must know, my name is...

Carlos! It's a nice name I think; easy to pronounce, it's not overused, and it make my initials "CC" :).

• Brohoof 2