books The Book Thread

Octavia2

(edited)

I had to read that book for school, and the 4th part I did find way more interesting than the other parts because of the intelligent, rational horses. It was like every horse on that island was Twilight Sparkle.

But there are definitely some things that don't seem utopian to modern society, like slavery. The Houyhnhnms had a caste system and kept slaves. Also, they worshiped cold logic and abandoned all emotion. That may have been ideal for Swifts time, but in modern day it sounds pretty creepy.

Dorian Grey was pretty good. It was boring at the beginning, but I loved the ending.

Right now I'm reading Fallout Equestria Project Horizons. I'm about a third of the way through so far.

Edited by Slendermane
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well I just finished The Hobbit and am reading The Lord of the Rings in honor of The Hobbit movie coming out. I am soon to read all of Ayn Rands work soon (help me haha). Just finished reading both of Stephen Fry's autobiographys. I have so many books to read/re-read. Stuff by Patrick Süskind (love him), Anthony Burgess, Ken Kessy, Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe, Mario Puzo, Homer* (looking forward!! Started a while back but had to stop), good ol' Lewis Carroll, Joseph Conrad and what not. Also some lowbrow stuff from Matthew Reilly, Grieg Beck and Charlaine Harris.

Almost forgot :P The fabulous Oscar Wilde haha. I'm sure I have forgotten many other ones I am planning on re-reading and whatnot as well haha

Edited by TheFabulousPony

Well I just finished The Hobbit and am reading The Lord of the Rings in honor of The Hobbit movie coming out. I am soon to read all of Ayn Rands work soon (help me haha). Just finished reading both of Stephen Fry's autobiographys. I have so many books to read/re-read. Stuff by Patrick Süskind (love him), Anthony Burgess, Ken Kessy, Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe, Mario Puzo, Homer* (looking forward!! Started a while back but had to stop), good ol' Lewis Carroll, Joseph Conrad and what not. Also some lowbrow stuff from Matthew Reilly, Grieg Beck and Charlaine Harris.

Almost forgot :P The fabulous Oscar Wilde haha. I'm sure I have forgotten many other ones I am planning on re-reading and whatnot as well haha

Yes yes yes I love Tolkien and Wilde :3

Anyway I bought this giant volume of Sherlock Holmes novels and stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, so I'm reading A Study In Scarlet now.

Yes yes yes I love Tolkien and Wilde :3

Anyway I bought this giant volume of Sherlock Holmes novels and stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, so I'm reading A Study In Scarlet now.

Ah yes, I have his complete works also :3 I can't wait to read it! It looks awesome haha Edited by TheFabulousPony

I basically just read fantasy novels, with R.A. Salvatore being my favorite author. A Song of Ice and Fire is so awesome, although I never bought the books until I saw Game of Thrones. I feel bad about that, but they're great books nonetheless.

I basically just read fantasy novels, with R.A. Salvatore being my favorite author. A Song of Ice and Fire is so awesome, although I never bought the books until I saw Game of Thrones. I feel bad about that, but they're great books nonetheless.

Is Game of Thrones worth a read? I've heard alot but never actually bothered to look it up at all or anything...

Is Game of Thrones worth a read? I've heard alot but never actually bothered to look it up at all or anything...

It's definitely worth reading, but there's less adventure and more intrigue than other fantasy novels. When you latch onto a character it's hard to stop reading the series.

It's definitely worth reading, but there's less adventure and more intrigue than other fantasy novels. When you latch onto a character it's hard to stop reading the series.

I can relate, I hate starting a new book after reading a previous one because I'm too close to the characters. But yea, thanks for the suggestion.

I can relate, I hate starting a new book after reading a previous one because I'm too close to the characters. But yea, thanks for the suggestion.

With A Song of Ice and Fire it's easy to tell if you'll like the characters or not. Just go watch some Game of Thrones clips or episodes. A few things were changed here and there, and the books are more in depth than the television series is.

• Brohoof 1

Has anyone read the book seres Kingdom Keepers? It's a very good book and easy to get into. It's about these kids who get turned into holograms and get sent into Disney world at night. There they have to fight Walt Disney's villains he came up with and they nearly die on some of the rides.

It's pretty good and it's fun.

Anyone here ever read the Bartimaeus Trilogy? Some of the best fantasy literature I've read in a long while, it's a shame it's labelled as a children's book - most people don't give it a chance. Currently rereading it for the first time. :P

• Brohoof 1

Anyone here ever read the Bartimaeus Trilogy? Some of the best fantasy literature I've read in a long while, it's a shame it's labelled as a children's book - most people don't give it a chance. Currently rereading it for the first time. :P

I HAVE read this but it's been such a long time and is in fact an incredible series. Very amazing and has DEMONS!. Maybe I just like occult things, I dunno.

• Brohoof 1

Is Game of Thrones worth a read?

If you dont fear long stories with enormous amount of characters than it's definitely worth reading! It's only fantasy series I keep reading.

Books, I love them)

Here my favourite autors and books.

Erich Maria Remarque

Cant realy decide which one of his books i love the mosy, I think it's "The Night in Lisbon" and "Shadows in Paradise". (Honestly I like stories with flavour of despair and hope at the same time)

Thomas Mann

And my favourite - "The Magic Mountain" - this book years ago gived a lot of meat for my brain, and changed my perception of the world.

Hunter S. Thompson

Dont realy have favourites among his books, I just respect him as a person.

Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky

My first favourite autor, read and liked almost all his books, but especially "The Idiot" and "Demons".

Anton Pavlovich Chekhov

Dont think it's posible to choose favourite among his stories, i've tried and failed. Also I realy respect him as a person.

Johan August Strindberg

And my favourite definitely "The son of Servant" - it have changed my view on life.

Ryunosuke Akutagawa

Like his stories especially last ones (That were writen lesser than for year before his death).

As you may be already mentioned, I fond of autors whose books contain feeling of despair and hope (may be they have official name - I dont mind) - Dostoyevsky, Akutagawa, Strindberg, Chekhov even Thompson.

Here I have to stop, or I will write for real long time :)

Junky by William S. Burroughs. Figured I'd try one of his more 'accessabile' novels after struggling through Naked Lunch. Pretty good so far.

How you even struggled through "Naked Lunch"? I've tried five times already :)

• 4 months later...

One of my favourite books as a child was Pauline and the Prince In the Wind by James Kruss.  i also enjoyed Poochie Flower Power by sandra beris, Oink and Pearl by Kay Chorao, Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom by Bill Martin Jr and John Archambault, and Whisper the Winged Unicorn by Katherine Stiles.

My mother even embroidered me a pillow with Poochie flower-power on it  :wub:

I'm reading Ender's Game.

Good book. I highly recommend it.

I'm a fan of Rick Riordan's books, such an Percy Jackson and The Olympians and The Kane Chronicles

I've never read a John Green book, but I WANT TO SO BADLY!

But I can't read 2 books at once, sadly.

I am currently reading 'An utterly impartial history of Britain (or 2000 years of upper class idiots in charge). You can probably guess what it's about, but it is very funny. I also thoroughly recommend 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusack, about a little German girl who steals for idem books and harbours a Jew during the holocaust. Excellent read, the use of imagery and symbolism is superb and it's narrated by death itself. What more could you want?

Here is a list of my favorite books and book series, in order:

1. Harry Potter (series) by Rowling, J.K.
  2. Redwall (series) by Jacques, Brian 
  3. Sea of Trolls (book; there are two others in the series that I haven't read yet) by Farmer, Nancy
  4. A Separate Peace (book) by Knowles, John

i'd like to call your attention to the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson).

I enjoy it SO much because of its completely fictional geography and characters (and not to mention the ABILITIES of most of the characters) and because of how well Jordan is able to tell a story.

His language is a tad bit involved, but mostly that all goes toward describing the surroundings and feelings of the characters at the time.

Also, there is a GREAT deal of suspense, action, intrigue, and a touch of romance that make this series probably my favorite. (i say probably because of the number of books that ive read in my time and how hard it is to choose between them!).

Edited by TomRockSmash

Well assuming graphic novels count i would say deathnote. It's an really amazing manga. I suggest you check it out. It can be hard to understand at sometimes only because the main character and the antagonists are like geniuses and they're plans are amazing.

• Brohoof 1

Well assuming graphic novels count i would say deathnote. It's an really amazing manga. I suggest you check it out. It can be hard to understand at sometimes only because the main character and the antagonists are like geniuses and they're plans are amazing.

Dude i have totally been planning to read that for some time now!

Your description of it makes me think of something like artemis fowl on speed lol...