Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight has become an alicorn: how many bronies left?

MK15

So.... here we are. Twilight has become an alicorn. One of my best friend betrayed me, not only has left the fandom but he has become a hater.... Now tell me, there were other bronies that left or have become haters for this? If I can say, it is very stupid to act like this...

• Brohoof 15

I'll tell you this MK15 a true fan wouldn't leave the fandom because of that alicorn transformation, a true fan knows it's all about the personalities of each pony being intact. Even if all of the mane 6 could somehow transform into Alicorns, as long as AppleJack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy keep their uniqueness the show will be good.

Even then the characters are so darn cute, I don't see why you would stop watching. I'm sticking to this fandom as much as I am fan of Pokemon which is older than MLP:FIM and was a big hit back in the day.

Edited by Pinkie Pie 3 U
  • Brohoof 14

Are you absolutely bloody kidding me?

What the hell, bronies? What in the honest hell? You're leaving just because Twilight decided to grow wings? Are you retarded or something? Well, I guess we aren't the smartest bunch in the world :/

Seriously guys...I'm going to miss you. I don't even know you, and I'm already feeling the impact that it's having on the fandom. We'll surely recover, but I think these wounds are more than skin deep.

• Brohoof 23

Why quit because of stuff that happens in canon? Fanon will always be there with all its content if you don't like what Hasbro are doing.

Although I have to say that I don't like how so many are leaving...by the time I'll be finished with my MLP games, there will be noone out  there to play them!

• Brohoof 2

*sees the name of the thread*

oh-boy-here-we-go.jpeg

This is bullshit to be honest. You're friend sounds like an idiot. 

Oh uhdurr, a character grew wings so now I'm going to over-react and leave the fandom and become a hatur.

We haven't even seen Season 4 yet, we have no idea how this is going to be excecuted.

So he should give it a chance before flipping shit.

Edited by Wubsie
  • Brohoof 12

It's sad to see how much the fandom's been divided as of late, but I'm still optimistic. I'm sure many bronies have left, either because of Twilicorn or the other MLP controversies, but it's not like we've never been through these things before. It's not like we're the exception to all the fandoms that exist, either. Star Wars is still popular despite the prequels. We're still going strong, and it's likely that we'll remain strong for the foreseeable future. MLP and bronies aren't dying--not by a long shot.

As for me, I don't plan to leave any time soon. I may prefer Twilight as a unicorn, but I'm not going to let her physical appearance change my perception of her. As long as she remains Twilight (and I'm not saying she shouldn't change at all--that's inevitable considering her new powers and responsibilities), then I won't complain. It's her heart that matters, not her appearance. For that, I'm optimistic about Season 4, and looking forward to what's in store for us.

Edited by Twilicorn
  • Brohoof 6

So people have left, when season 4 airs many of them will likely come back.

But as someone has already posted a true fan would not be perturbed by the fact that the character has undergone a physical change. Its not like her personality has altered at all (or at least as we have seen so far).

• Brohoof 1

It's sad to see how much the fandom's been divided as of late, but I'm still optimistic. I'm sure many bronies have left, either because of Twilicorn or the other MLP controversies, but it's not like we've never been through these things before. It's not like we're the exception to all the fandoms that exist, either. Star Wars is still popular despite the prequels. We're still going strong, and it's likely that we'll remain strong for the foreseeable future. MLP and bronies aren't dying--not by a long shot.

I've done a bit of thinking.

Say there's around 1000-2000 active members here. This is a good sample size for the entire fandom. 1500, maybe. Did a bit of digging around and found that 40 people have left because of Twilicorn. So, this means that 1 in every 40 bronies has left the fandom. This equates to 0.025% of bronies, or 9 degrees on a PIE graph.

If you go on word and chuck that in a graph, that's a big blow to the fandom. :S

I got no idea how some bronies are overreacting fools, well, it's a whole damn fandom with some obsessed people with the show and we are human after all, and humans usually hate change.

• Brohoof 1

Well I do know that a lot of the fandom has left and some on here have left too. I will just say the fandom has been divided majorly since the finale and it is quite sad too see. 

If anyone wants to know the truth, click the tag. If you want to keep making a fuss over this for your own self-gratification, never mind.

You really want the truth? :D I knew I could count on you.

OK, here's the deal: it's not a division at all. It's a difference of opinion, or really many opinions. Not the same thing.

I would bet anything that Derpygate was more divisive than this, because it touched on sensitive issues and wasn't just about the show itself. And even that was not as bad as the arguments many other fandoms have every month. Trust me on this, I've been exploring these groups and their boards for eight years. We are really very lucky. :)

Bronies leaving over Twilicorn has never been a major problem IMO. And it probably never will as long as Season 4 does a good follow-through. How many of these departures are proven and not just hearsay? I suppose a few people really have opted out, and I'm sorry about MK15's friend reacting as badly as he did, but I think he's in a very small minority. Look at me. I've been one of the biggest critics of the S3 finale and its discouraging implications, but I'm not going anywhere. A poorly timed and ill-considered change to a character does not mean I love Twilight or the ponies any less.

And becoming a hater? :unsure:  That would just be a waste of time, and energy. I've got bills to pay.

So people have left, when season 4 airs many of them will likely come back.

But as someone has already posted a true fan would not be perturbed by the fact that the character has undergone a physical change. Its not like her personality has altered at all (or at least as we have seen so far).

And that's not true. That's a passive-aggressive dig at Twilicorn naysayers which adds nothing to the discussion.

Let's not question people's dedication or burn any bridges here. Because one thing you said was true: many of them probably will come back. "I am a greater fan than thou" is the wrong lesson to take away from this. If we want to be a different, better kind of fandom, let's act like it. Allow each other to react to the change how we will, without having to say they're wrong (or right) about it.

If we can do that, we're all going to be fine.

img-1218224-1-Pinkie_Pie_skating2_S1E11.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 6

If anyone wants to know the truth, click the tag. If you just want to denounce MK15's anonymous "friend" for your own self-gratification, never mind.

Here's the deal, it's not a division at all. It's a difference of opinion. They're not the same.

I would bet anything that Derpygate was more divisive than this, since it touched on sensitive issues and wasn't just about the show. And even that unfortunate episode was not as bad as the arguments that many fandoms have regularly. Trust me on this, I've been exploring fandoms and their boards for eight years. We are really quite lucky. :)

Bronies leaving over Twilicorn has never been a major problem IMO, and it probably never will as long as Season 4 does a good follow-through. I suppose a few people actually have opted out, and I'm sorry about MK15's friend reacting as badly as he did, but I think he's in a very small minority. I've been one of the biggest critics of the S3 finale and its discouraging implications, but I'm not going anywhere. A poorly timed and ill-considered change to a character does not mean I love Twilight or the ponies any less.

And becoming a hater? :unsure:  That would just be a waste of energy. I've got bills to pay, young'uns.

And that's not true. That's a passive-aggressive dig at Twilicorn naysayers which adds nothing to the discussion.

Let's not question people's dedication or burn any bridges here. Because one thing you said was true: many of them probably will come back. "I am a greater fan than thou" is absolutely the wrong lesson to take away from this. If we want to be a different, better kind of fandom, let's act like it. Allow each other to react to the change how we will, without having to say they're wrong (or right) about it.

We're all going to be fine.

Oh I wasn't trying to make a dig at those that did leave or act holier than thou, I just meant that as far as I was concerned its the personality that matters not the physicality. For example if I were watching a show and a character I liked suddenly became disabled I wouldn't actually mind that, as long as it made sense.

But if a characters personality changed without any form of explanation or build up that would be something that would make me consider moving on.

Different people will put up with different things, levels of tolerance and all that.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, if you leave the fandom just because of the last episode, you are being rather childish and quite the drama queen.

I get it, some people dislike it a lot, but then don't comment and leave or just say something along the lines of "Ok, I don't really enjoy that anymore.", even tho that is still weird, if you really enjoyed at least the two seasons and the community.

But I've seen mostly this "WTF OMGOMG no!!! I hate hasbro I hate bronies! U all suck!" ragequit-type. Honestly, I find it to be quite amusing, but I can see why I would be concerned and less amused if my friend did it.

• Brohoof 4

Hmmm....well, it is indeed a shame, that people will leave a fabulous show and fan base for a silly reason like this. 
I always believe that MLP was able to attract mature audiences, thus why it was so well made, but now after seeing how many people have left for such a silly reason, perhaps I was wrong. This change could be for the better, or perhaps it might not change the show at all, but we can't say until season 4 comes around. I have always loved the show and continue to do so, because I always appreciate how well it's made, how funny it is, how likeable the characters are, and how the show always makes me smile and laugh at least once every episode. Happiness fuel in a nutshell, that's MLP :)

• Brohoof 1

I understand why people were against Twilicorn, i for one did not like the idea of her becoming an Alicorn. Although i somehow, don't understand why people would leave the fandom because of her becoming an alicorn. Just because she has wings and has become an alicorn doesn't mean she isn't the same Twilight we knew before.

Know that Twilight is very high on my top favorite ponies and i care for her just as much as any other Twilight Sparkle fan would.

It's just good to know that they at Hasbro and DHX aren't affraid of making changes, otherwise the show couldn't develope, im not talking about huge changes.. But they need to be able to do little changes from time to time.. Otherwise the show would come to an end pretty quickly.. But if we alow them to make changes to the show, then we can expect a lot more episodes in the future.. Otherwise they would just run out of ideas in the end. But instead we will probably see seasons filled with new adventures.

Also, Twilight becoming an alicorn was planned before season 3. Lauren Faust wanted Twilight to become Celestia's successor. So it had been planned a long time ago.

So it never was Hasbro pulling the strings, it was her destiny.

Bronies are known to be loyal fans, well maybe we just lost some that weren't that loyal after all.

At least bronies should give season 4 a chance before they come to a conclusion, we have only seen Twilight as an alicorn for a few minutes. People should at least give her a chance.

• Brohoof 1

I think people are over reacting

Just because a main character went through a major change you should think of the reasons why it happenedv(even though it tells you in the finale) twilight deserves to be an alicorn because she went through so much so stop over reacting and have an

ALICOOOORRRRNN PARTAYYYYYYY

• Brohoof 3

First off, the brony fandom as a whole is much bigger than this one forum. Many bronies frequent other sites like Equestria Daily, Derpy Hooves News, /mlp/, Derpibooru, as well as an even larger chunk who don't visit anyof those websites. The last time we had an head count, I'm pretty sure we were something like 85,000+ strong (again, only counting those who frequent the main pony websites).

Some have left, but not a large enough chunk for it to impact the fandom (less than 3% if I had to guess), so we should all stop worrying that the fandom is going to tank.

• Brohoof 2

I'm still here and every brony I've ever known is still here. Although it's deeply divided us so did Derpy-gate and we're all still here. I wager this will all blow over when season 4 premieres.

Edited by Leatherneck

It is sad to see some people leave over twilicorn but there is really nothing any of us can do about that. I will probably still stay for a while even if twilicorn goes as badly as I fear it will because we at least still have fanfics, fanart and a pretty good community.  I may have been against this whole thing but even I admit that it is possible for this to work out and have faith that it will if Hasbro steps back and lets the writers do their jobs.

• Brohoof 1

Also, Twilight becoming an alicorn was planned before season 3. Lauren Faust wanted Twilight to become Celestia's successor. So it had been planned a long time ago.

So it never was Hasbro pulling the strings, it was her destiny.

But Hasbro did pull the strings on "when".  If they did it right, it would have been a more fleshed out story instead of a 1 episode musical that went too fast even for kids to understand. 

• Brohoof 2