• Homeworld
    • Warhammer 40,000
    • Company of Heroes
    • Halo Wars
    • FTL: Faster Than Light
    • Total War
    • LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth
    • Other

Since the rework of Age of Empires 2 is on the way, I felt like reflecting over the genre as a whole. Do you like the genre? If so, which are your favorite games?

I personally love Age of Empires 2 and 1, I pretty much grew up with these games img-1288802-1-tongue.png

Otherwise, Starcraft and Warcraft are truly brilliant and never gets old

Edited by Soundgarden
  • Brohoof 1

FTL (Faster then Light) is my favorite. I know it's not as popular; but it's ridiculously fun and addicting. But then again: I rarely play RTS.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

FTL (Faster then Light) is my favorite. I know it's not as popular; but it's ridiculously fun and addicting. But then again: I rarely play RTS.

How could I miss this game? This is probably my third favorite RTS (after AoE and Starcraft), it's brilliant, unique and as you said, addicting. Gotta add this to the poll happy.png

Although not very popular amongst mainstream gamers, it's incredibly popular in the Indie game community. 

Edited by Soundgarden
  • Brohoof 1

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Command and Conquer series (including Red Alert) hands down. Supcomm because of its massive scale and great ideas (resource system, strategic view, awesome units, etc.) C&C because... it's C&C. Too good to be ignored. From non rts strategies I like Civilization series. Damn, it made me want to play Civ 2 so badly now.

Oh heck yeah! I used to love the hell out of these games as a kid. My first PC games were pretty much all RTS games with a few exceptions. I played a lot of Earth 2150, Afrika Korps vs Desert Rats, Blitzkrieg 1,2, Codename Panzers, etc. I have a feeling that the genre isn't doing too great nowadays, but then again...everything but FPS is in the same shoes right now.

Edited by Zacharias

Oh yeah, I really liked Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. Especially the Dark Crusade expansion pack. I used to always play as Chaos. I just loved their voices. Well actually, pretty much everything about the voice-acting in that game was awesome to me. I can't really say I agree with the new design of Dawn of War II, but I guess I can understand what they were thinking. I'm more into huger-scale battles. If they made a third game in the same vain as the first, that would be really awesome.

Also, have you thought of adding the Total War series? That's pretty well-known, especially Rome: Total War, which I think is also their best.

• Brohoof 2

I'm gonna go ahead and say Age Of Empires is best. But thats only because it was the first I played, but since I've played a few like Halo Wars and I just got CoH a while a go, and I love them all! So I guess I can't choose!

(edited)

Oh yeah, I really liked Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. Especially the Dark Crusade expansion pack. I used to always play as Chaos. I just loved their voices. Well actually, pretty much everything about the voice-acting in that game was awesome to me. I can't really say I agree with the new design of Dawn of War II, but I guess I can understand what they were thinking. I'm more into huger-scale battles. If they made a third game in the same vain as the first, that would be really awesome.

Also, have you thought of adding the Total War series? That's pretty well-known, especially Rome: Total War, which I think is also their best.

That's something I though about, but I decided not to, because Total War contains both Turn Based and RTS elements. I generally wanted to take distance from the Turn Based games and focuse on the more "purer" RTS games

I'm quite surprised to not see a single vote on Starcraft yet, or any comments about it at all. It's considered to be one of the most influental and popular RTS series of all time.

Edited by Soundgarden

I don't have a favourite, but i played some:

Age of Empires I, II, III,

Red Alert 1, 2

Starcraft 1

Warcraft II, III (kinda, because i got the third one for the custom maps, not the default RTS)

Empire Earth II

As for something slightly more new (for me at least), i think Sins of a Solar Empire seems like a really good RTS series.

Nothing wrong with any of them.

while I've got Warcraft III and Starcraft II, I personally find SC somewhat better, though I haven't played it much in a while...and usually when I do play it, I prefer standard campaign mode. I doubt I'll ever play online against another person, much in the same way I don't engage in PvP in WoW. I'm not sure if I'd get Heart of the Swarm or not...if I do, I'd probably get the CE, just for the extra stuff that comes with it...but even then, I may just stick with the standard version. :|

Now we're talking!

The voice acting in the Dawn of War series is really good, and I loved ordering around my units just to hear them talk. I agree that the Dark Crusade Expansion was really, really good; got to play as the fearsome Necrons and the mighty Tau. Can't argue with that!

With Dawn of War II, I didn't like that the battle size shrunk, but I did like the additions of being able to level up your leaders, as well as the fact that the Tyranids are in it.

And Total War is totally a great RTS series, SoundGarden. Sure, it does have turn based elements, but all of the fighting is resolved on the battlefield, not to mention it has a skirmish mode that is pure RTS format. I can understand wanting to stick to RTS, but Total War is such a great series that it definitely needs to be included.

As for my own personal favorites, I don't think anyone has mentioned Sins of a Solar Empire. I love that game a lot. I also love the Command and Conquer series, especially Yuri's Revenge.

(edited)

Now we're talking!

The voice acting in the Dawn of War series is really good, and I loved ordering around my units just to hear them talk. I agree that the Dark Crusade Expansion was really, really good; got to play as the fearsome Necrons and the mighty Tau. Can't argue with that!

With Dawn of War II, I didn't like that the battle size shrunk, but I did like the additions of being able to level up your leaders, as well as the fact that the Tyranids are in it.

And Total War is totally a great RTS series, SoundGarden. Sure, it does have turn based elements, but all of the fighting is resolved on the battlefield, not to mention it has a skirmish mode that is pure RTS format. I can understand wanting to stick to RTS, but Total War is such a great series that it definitely needs to be included.

As for my own personal favorites, I don't think anyone has mentioned Sins of a Solar Empire. I love that game a lot. I also love the Command and Conquer series, especially Yuri's Revenge.

Very well, Total War shall be added, though it doesn't follow the idea of this thread. Sins of a Solar Empire is something I overlooked, added as well

That's the last one I add btw

Edited by Soundgarden
  • Brohoof 1

Very well, Total War shall be added, though it doesn't follow the idea of this thread. Sins of a Solar Empire is something I overlooked, added as well

That's the last one I add btw

Thank you, Soundgarden! Didn't select either of those, though; my favorite RTS series is definitely Command and Conquer, even if some of the latest games were a little weak.

Starcraft 2 is my favourite RTS, I love the total war games, although I wouldn't call them an RTS(Real Time Strategy) defined by every action taking effect in real time as apposed to on a turn based system. Total War are turn based, with the exception of the battles ;)

Starcraft Brood Wars will always be my top of the top favorite RTS and favorite GAME ever. I severely miss playing it competitively, I miss ICCUP, and the public/regional matches Game Stop or Game Spot would hold. Greatest game I think I will ever play.

• Brohoof 2

I love Starcraft. Especially, since you need a lot of strategy to win battles and make very smart decisions on your next move. I really do love games like that, where you need to focus and be smart on whatever move you execute.

Starcraft Brood Wars will always be my top of the top favorite RTS and favorite GAME ever. I severely miss playing it competitively, I miss ICCUP, and the public/regional matches Game Stop or Game Spot would hold. Greatest game I think I will ever play.

Starcraft Brood Wars is an awesome freaking game, and I absolutely love playing it from time to time with some buddies of mine.

I'm really good as Zerg in that game... can't say the same for Starcraft 2 though. I suck as Zerg in that game.

• Brohoof 1

No question Starcraft. Especially with the recent release of Heart of  the Swarm, and of coarse the planned release of Legacy of the Void. I first saw the original Starcraft when I was 3, (i think) and since then RTS in general has been my favorite type of game. But once again, especially the Starcraft series .

Oh heck yeah! I used to love the hell out of these games as a kid. My first PC games were pretty much all RTS games with a few exceptions. I played a lot of Earth 2150, Afrika Korps vs Desert Rats, Blitzkrieg 1,2, Codename Panzers, etc. I have a feeling that the genre isn't doing too great nowadays, but then again...everything but FPS is in the same shoes right now.

Man I remember Blitzkrieg. Oldie but good. I do believe my all time favorite has to be the Close Combat! series, especially 3: The Russian Front! The first decade or so of the CnC games were also amazing but in my opinion Generals: Zero Hour was their last great one.  

Of course no series can ever beat the majesty that is Total War (Rome ftw) but that isnt truly just an RTS sooooo 

OR American Conquest! Almost forgot about that great one!

Edited by Doc Ginger

My first real PC game was StarCraft: Brood War, and it's still a favorite. I'm not very good anymore, though.

But if anybody here wanted a few games, I'd be up for it.

Other than that, I'm mostly into turn-based strategy these days, mostly 4X games and tactical RPGs.

• Brohoof 2

My personal favorite is split up by a few games...so my favorite's list is as follows:

Stronghold & Stronghold: Crusaders

Total Annihilation

The first Starcraft, although I didn't have internet so I only played against the computer.

Age of Empires I & II

Empire Earth I & II

Sins of a Solar Empire

And I'm sure there are more that I could name but I think I'll stop there.

• Brohoof 1

@,

OP I can't belive it. You don't have the best RTS game ever on your list.

Lord of The Rings - Battle For Middle-Earth II

That game.

Best game ever. I played it way too much. I was one of the few people who had reached max level.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

I really don't play many RTS's anymore, or play many in general, I mean I've only played Starcraft and Halo wars on that list I think, but I think Starcrafts my favorite, the whole game is pretty complex and fun aswell as complex and it keeps your mind working thats for sure, however I suck at it, and I really don't play it anymore, but still only choice I could think of picking I guess.

Halo wars was pretty cool, I just didn't really like it for somereason idk why :P.

Dangit, you're making me choose between Dawn of War and Starcraft. For the sake of this poll, I'm voting for Dawn of War, but I like the both of them almost equally.