Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does a character from MLP:FIM remind you of another character from another show?

TheMarkz0ne

So I was just wondering if any other character from the show reminds you of any actor, or character, something from story, or even a myth of some kind?

As for me, I was wondering if Sonic the Hedgehog inspired Rainbow Dash. I really think it's obvious. Because why would they give a character in the show the ability to go att he speed of sound and break the sound barrier. I am a fan of both characters and whether it was intentional or not I really think Sonic has something to do with Rainbow Dash existing.

Which comparisons do you have?

Edited by DashForever
Older specific thread fit under newer and more general one, so OP edited to ask for general replies.

Well both characters being able to break the sound barrier isn't much evidence. It just seems like a coincidence.

Thought I'm not sure, I believe they are completely seperate, with no connection.

~Luna

I don't think so. Sonic the Hedgehog is not the only fast character in the world of fiction. And while they both may be blue, and have some similar character traits, I don't think Rainbow Dash was inspired by Sonic. Lauren Faust has stated that her personality is based on Fyre Flye (sp?) from G1, or at least the way Faust saw her. Design wise, she was borrowed from G3 of My Little Pony.

So while they have some striking similarities, it's more coincidental than anything.

• Brohoof 2

Eh no not really, while they're both competitive and cocky, as well as fast. RD isn't based off sonic. They just have a similar character archetype.

Just because a characters fast and kinda full of themselves, doesn't mean they're a sonic clone. Neither does breaking the sound barrier really.

Not exactly. They might have the same traits in speed and in personality but, Faust wasn't inspired by Sonic to make Rainbow Dash. They might have similarities but, Rainbow Dash wasn't inspired from Sonic the Hedgehog.

Basically, they don't tie into each other at all.

• Brohoof 1

I really don't see the connection. At all.

You know, following this train of thought, you can just as well say Twilly is "obviously" based on Gandalf, because they both use magic and sort of changed form to something else during their story.

What I'm trying to say here, it's not obvious and she isn't "really" based on Sonic, it's just a connection you made for reasons of your own.

• Brohoof 1

You know, following this train of thought, you can just as well say Twilly is "obviously" based on Gandalf, because they both use magic and sort of changed form to something else during their story.

Dude, I knew it all along! Twilight the Gray!

Though on topic, it's not "obvious", it's just a coincidence. The personalities of the Mane 6 are based upon the way Lauren Faust used to play with the earlier toys, from what I've heard.

You know, the only comparison that can be drawn is that they are fast.

I could just as easily say that Rainbow Dash is inspired by stealth bombers because stealth bombers are capable of fast flight. There really are no comparisons between RD and Sonic.

• Brohoof 1

All of the Mane 6 characters are based on very common personality types so you could just easily make the same argument with any of them really. Yes there are many similarities between Sonic and Rainbow Dash but I don't Sonic is quite a cocky as Rainbow Dash though Rainbow is becoming a bit less arrogant lately. I have noticed similarities between some of the mane 6 characters and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Leonardo-Applejack

Donatello-Twilight Sparkle

Michelangelo- Pinkie Pie

Raphael-Rainbow Dash

• Brohoof 1

I really think it's obvious. Because why would they give a character in the show the ability to go att he speed of sound and break the sound barrier. I am a fan of both characters and whether it was intentional or not I really think Sonic has something to do with Rainbow Dash existing

No Rainbow Dash isn't based on Sonic the hedgehog.

Originally Lauren wanted the character Firfly from the G1 ponies to be in the series. She was her favorite character and she wanted her to be in the show. But the name was copyrighted (don't know all the details) so they couldn't use her name or design.

So eventually Lauren made Rainbow Dash with Firfly's personality.

So Technicaly Rainbow is based on Firfly.

You might as well say Rainbow Dash was based on the Flash from DC comics, or Quicksilver from Marvel comics. "Really fast self-absorbed yet heroic jock" is a stock character that's been around since the 40's, and probably before.

I was a hardcore sonic fan, kinda still am, but not much activity happening with sega at the moment...

Anyways...

Both are the fastest thing around...

Both are blue

Both are cocky

Both like adventures

Both live and learn XD

Both can break the sound barrier

Both are impatient

And over all... Sonic is still faster.

• Brohoof 1

-Both blue

-Both super fast

-Both cocky & adventure-loving

-Both boy or boy-like (tomboy)

-Both have cute orange sidekicks (Tails and Scootaloo xD)

-Both exceedingly loyal to their friends, and their own ideals

Dash and Sonic have many similarities, but I doubt Dash is a reference to Sonic. They're similar, but they're also fairly different. For example, while they're both cocky free spirits who love adventure, Sonic is laid-back as all hell about everything, whilst Dash is a hot head with a short temper (which means she's actually a lot more like Knuckles, one of Sonic's friends and rivals). They have many different personality dynamics once you start to really look into their characters.

I suppose believing in a connection isn't unexpected, but I just don't think so, personally. It certainly is a lot of great similarities, though. I've certainly taken them into consideration for why I love Dash. I've been a Sonic fan since I was eight, so I saw him a lot in her, and still do.

post-4006-0-28539300-1364155339_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I thought Rainbow Dash was mostly based off of one of the older MLP ponies.Firefly or something like that?But I can definitely see the resemblances between RD and Sonic.Heck,I wouldn't be surprised if Faust actually drew a bit of inspiration for RD from Sonic.

I don't know if this belongs here, so if I have misplaced this thread, feel free to correct me mods. And I am sure that others have seen this, but I felt like I should make a discussion thread of sorts. I noticed that Rainbow Dash, as a character, is very similar to Sonic the Hedgehog. Thinking about it:

Both move at high speeds

Both have some sort of Super form (Super Sonic and Elements of Harmony)

Both are capable of breaking the sound barrier

Both have a very upbeat can-do attitude.

Both are, quiet frankly, awesome 

Both are blue (I know that is unimportant, but I mean, come on.)

I was wondering if maybe Lauren Faust got inspiration from Sonic for Rainbow Dash's character, or if it was just a coincidence.

They have similarities but Rainbow Dash is actually just a remodel of herself from a previous MLP Generation, Gen 3 I believe, feel free to correct me on this...

Her personality however had a little bit of an overhaul to be how she is now...

Her design is based on her old design with a little update, not based on Sonic...

So I think its more a coincidence then Lauren Designing RD after Sonic....

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

In  the show and comics the creators have put famous actors and characters from movies and other T.V shows in the MLP. Like is the Cutie Pox episode we see characters from, The Big Lebowski. In the comics we see 2 characters that John Belushi played. In the first comic we see his character Jake Blues from the Blues Brothers and in the micro Rarity comic his character Bluto from Animal House can be seen in the background. The most famous background character Time Turner looks like Doctor Who.

So I was just wondering if any other character from the show reminds you of any actor, or character, something from story, or even a myth of some kind?

So fare I have come up with 3 characters.

The first 2 I want to look at  are Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake.

Pound_Cake_Pumpkin_Cake_sitting_smiling_

(Who knows me should have know these 2 were coming up.)

Pound_Cake_smiling_S2E13.png

First let me go over Pound Cake.

Pound Cake  reminds me of Hercules or Superman.

Reasons why are.

1. Both have parents who are earth based. Meaning not of the same kind.

2. When ever a Pegasus is looked at they have a strong connection with Greek Myth.

3. Hercules had a pegasus. (Only going on Disney Movie for that one.)

4. Both can fly.

5. Both have super strength.

It could be either Hercules or Superman. I would go with Hercules because the writers like to keep pegasus in the greek myth.

Pumpkin_Cake_smiling_S2E13.png

Now Pumpkin Cake does not remind me of any character, but an idea that was used in a story. Pumpkin reminds me of the magic pumpkin in the story Cinderella. So the idea for might have come from that story. So not a character, but an item in a book.

The last one I just came up with today and I am throwing it out. 

Chrysalis_ceremony_podium_cropped_S2E26.

Queen Chrysalis reminds me of the Wicked Witch, from the Wizard of OZ. 

Why?

1. Both are very powerful with magic.

2. They control drones of creators that do what ever they say.

3. Both have a black and green color to them.

So those are the character that remind me of other characters.

Does anyone in the show remind you of someone?  

Edited by pinkiefan1287

(edited)

The Flim Flam brothers are the spitting image of Lyle Lanley the monorail salesman from the Simpsons episode Marge vs. The Monorail.

The brothers even had the town chanting for cider, just as this guy had the town chanting for the monorail. It's a Music Man triangle.

Lyle-Lanley.jpg

Edited by Flipturn ツ
  • Brohoof 3