Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP characters who you thought were a different gender

TwiliciousAlkoi

For some odd reason, when I first saw Rainbow Dash I thought she was male. :P But, then it only took me about 5 seconds of the looking at Dashie during the 1st episode to see that she is well female, obviously.

• Brohoof 5

Gonna be honest here. I thought Derpy was male for a second...... Yea i'm stupid I know but I really did think that she was for a little while.

For some odd reason, when I first saw Rainbow Dash I thought she was male. tongue.png But, then it only took me about 5 seconds of the looking at Dashie during the 1st episode to see that she is well female, obviously.

Yeah I gotta agree with both of ya. Rainbow seemed like a male to me until I heard the voice and Derpy just sorta looks like a male.

• Brohoof 4

At first glance, I thought that Braeburn was female, then I learned that everyone is gay for Braeburn so that made it okay to find him femininely attractive.

Also, the first time I watched the show I thought RD was male.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 4

I thought Scoots was a guy at first glance. That's why she stood out to me so much when she was introduced. My thought process was something like "OH MY GOSH IT'S AN ACTUAL MALE CHARACTER AND HE'S KINDA BAD@$$ AND HE'S YELLING AT THE ANNOYING PINK KID! SUCCESS!" Then I found out she was a girl. Kinda should've seen it coming honestly... I never really thought Dash was anything but female though. Guess I'm in the minority.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

The only character I think I got their gender wrong was Owlowiscious. The name kinda sounds like a girls name and Owlowiscious eyelashes look like a girls eyelashes. But overall I don't think I got an gender wrong.

I never thought Rainbow Dash was a guy. The tone of her voice sounded like a girls and she just looked like one.

Angel Bunny. Still not entirely sure. He / she is kind of a brat, though - and brattiness knows no gender.

(Eat your damn salad sundae, you ingrate.)

I think angel bunny is a boy. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the ponies ever used the he/she with angel in the first place. He does kinda look like a boy.

• Brohoof 1

Whenever my dad talks about Rainbow Dash he uses 'he' and I'll correct him.  He just says; "Well she's like a boy!  Shes almost like---" and of course I'll interrupt and say; "You're just like everybody else..."

derpy_emoticon2.png

• Brohoof 1

I thought Fluttershy was a guy...

Just kidding lol tongue.png

But I don't think I ever thought any of the characters were a different gender. I can't really remember XD

It's also been such a long time since I remember first watching the show. whenever posts like this ask me to go back.. i'm just blink.png .

*clears throat* Flutterguy anyone? Bridle Gossip?

I thought "Angel Bunny" might have been a girl, but when Fluttershy referred to him as a boy, it was clear.

Also, Philomena. Yeah, it's a girl's name, but that thing definitely had a face more resembling that of a male.

Pretty much just the pets, since they can't talk. Everyone else is obvious.

I'm really surprised no one's mentioned Zecora yet.  Not sure if I thought she was male or female when I first saw her.

Problem is, one of the usual telltale clues of gender in MLP is the snout.  Female snouts are smaller and rounder, while male ponies are larger and more angular.  And hers is more in the male pony style.

• Brohoof 1

RD and Derpy. I didn't realise that they were female until RD was referenced as a 'she'. Also, I used to think that there was no difference between the head styles of mares and stallions.

I was a real dummy back then.

So far I haven't mistaken anypony for the wrong gender yet though I think much of that is because the friend who introduced me to the show did tell me in detail about it so I already knew Rainbow Dash who is often mistaken for a stallion is a mare.

• Brohoof 1

Derpy wasn't obvious to me right away either. It got easier once I realized that female was the default gender on this show, though.

And I just cried for everypony who speaks spanish but not English.