Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So... How do YOU cook your Ramen?

Samrules350

A lot of great ideas here.

I take two bricks of Ramen and crush with my fist while still in the sealed package. My GF calls it, "beating my food into submission." and she likens it to vestigial macho caveman hunting instincts. She is rather dainty with hers.

anyhow, I add the water and seasoning, stir and nuke. Wala, I'm done.

Now I want to try some of the ideas here and impress the GF.

Around my place we don't call it ramen. We have our own kind of instant noodles, and a damn good one at that :o

Usually I put everything, noodles, seasoning, and dried vegetables, to a bowl and pour it with hot water. Wait for a bit and dinner is ready! If I want to be fancy, I would cook three of them together in a pot and add in some meat or fresh vegetables.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the most patient person... I usually pour some hot water into the cup and let it sit until the noodles are somewhat moist and edible. There is a lot of liquid left over, so I end up with a miserable murky soup and realize that I should have let it cook for a bit longer.
And then I just jump out of the window and break all of my limbs as punishment for my dishonorable mistake. sad.png

I've never tasted Ramen before. :# I've heard a ton of shit about it, but never once put it in my mouth.

thats-what-she-said-300x300.jpg

But yeah, I don't even know what they are besides being noodles. My friends have offered them to me, but they look somewhat blegh, honestly. D;

• 3 weeks later...

In the UK we don't get ramen at all. What is it exactly? Is it just spaghetti pasta and bits of meat mixed into it or is it a special type of pasta?

I'm from the UK and I'm pretty sure we do get ramen, I'm not familiar with the brands but they sell dried noodle type shtuff in a bag.... If you ever come across it be sure to buy some, it's delicious. derpy_emoticon2.png (They might be called instant-noodles, I'm not sure).

I put my ramen in a bowl, add the flavor packet, put a saucer on top and stick it in the microwave for like 2 minutes.

My friend actually does the same thing but puts it on for like 5 minutes.

Oh, and Oriental flavor is the best.

(edited)

Cook?

Cook?

COOOK?

I never thought of that :3

I just crush the noodles while its in the, and then I open, take the seasoning, pour it in, and eat it like I'm eating something like chips.

Also, Beef or chicken is the best :3333

Edited by Jacob2Cl0wn

I use basic cup ramen (college student swag :P), and I heat it up in the microwave. More specifically, I cook it just like in that scene from Lucky Star where Konata makes ramen.

Le sigh....

• Brohoof 1

how i make ramen: when making ramen i just boil water, throw it in and wait till its soft then i take it out and add the flavoring

I'm from the UK and I'm pretty sure we do get ramen, I'm not familiar with the brands but they sell dried noodle type shtuff in a bag.... If you ever come across it be sure to buy some, it's delicious. img-1520576-1-derpy_emoticon2.png (They might be called instant-noodles, I'm not sure).

Hmmm, like super noodles? You have to add water and microwave those tough, is that the same time?

I've had pot noodle's but I thought ramen was different from them :x!

Well, the closest thing we have here to ramen are ramen noodle packages in the supermarket.

What I do is prepare them with hot water, then have another bowl where I have the flavouring and the oils. Add water, stir, add water etc. Keep doing so until you have dissolved all the flavouring with the least amount of water, making it very concentrated. In the meantime we're about halfway with preparing the noodles, this is where I let all the water out and add the water with the flavouring in the other bowl.

While I wait for the noodles to suck up most of the flavoured water, I stir the noodles to keep them at a nice temperature and let all the noodles suck up the flavouring equally.

Add some random things depending on what you want. Sometimes it's hot spices like chili pepper or sambal ajam (don't ask me why, but it tastes wonderful) otherwise, when I need an extra shot of energy I add nutmeg I grounded myself or cinnamon.

After that it's pretty simple, remove water, add soy sauce, add green asparagus, shrimps, roasted meat, corn, egg, whatever. Depends on how you've prepared it and what overall taste ya wanna achieve. For some quick noodles, you just add things that don't need to be cooked or heated up.

Experimenting with noodles is fun, it's easy and cheap. Definitely something to start out with when you try your hand at cooking.

Hmmm, like super noodles? You have to add water and microwave those tough, is that the same time?

I've had pot noodle's but I thought ramen was different from them :x!

Yep. Although Pot-Noodles are by far my favorite non-edible sludge, I could probably live of that stuff.... Super Noodles are instant-noodles but that's basically the same thing meh thinks.

Yep. Although Pot-Noodles are by far my favorite non-edible sludge, I could probably live of that stuff.... Super Noodles are instant-noodles but that's basically the same thing meh thinks.

I have to agree, i used to eat Tesco value noodles, I had 1 pot noodle and it actually had a taste rather then just being sludgy starch in a pot. I don't mind paying the extra to make my food edible :P

I eat it in two different ways. The first way is the simple way which is how the package says.

The 2nd way is the cook the noodles and then drain all the water out. Then, I stir fry them with some veggies and a protein while adding in some of the seasoning provided by the package themselves. This turns them basically into an entire meal, and it is delicious! :)

Well, seeing as I'm a Brit, we don't seem to have ramen. We have Pot Noodle and Super Noodle instead.

What I do is fill the pot up to the filling line with a tiny bit extra.

Then I wait for the water to do it's work for a few minutes.

After that, I add the sauce that comes with it and stir it with a fork.

I just boil some water, add the noodles and mix, then let it sit. As for the instant stuff in the cup,

I boil water in the kettle and simply, add it to the raw yummy stuff and wait.

My friends tend to complain and get on to me being saying I'm old fashioned for putting it on the stove, while they add water and put it in the microwave for either kind... dry.png

So this is a thread dedicated to ramen...

Post everything related to ramen!

Basically tell everyone the insane ways you cook and make ramen! I usually just put some ramen chunks in a bag and crush them, then sprinkle some seasoning in the bag and eat it like chips.

Ah yes, hobo chips. These are perfect for a cheep camping snack at least that is what I would use them for back when I was in scouts.

Anyway, on to answering your question OP. I have been perfecting my Ramen cooking techniques over the past few years, what I usually do is start by boiling some water. After the water has come to a boil, throw the seasoning, uncooked noods, and the hot water into an over sized bowl. I then put a plate over top of the bowl and put it in the microwave and let it sit for a few minutes. I don't cook it in the microwave, I have just noticed the noods get a little more "puffy" in the microwave.

After a few minutes have passed (sometimes I will even wait 10 minutes), I will drain half of what the noods do not absorb. Then dash in some soy sauce and Parmesan cheese and BLAM you have some SanchO approved Ramen noods.

If anypony has any other ideas on how to season/load up their Ramen let me know! 

• 4 months later...

I can't stand those instant ramen things and there is too much sodium in one of those packets...

There's a local asian store that sells fresh ramen noodles, so I usually go over there for noodles.

Boil said noodles and strain them in cold water.

I make my broth separately using Bonito flakes in a tea bag(I dislike the flavour of Kombu so I skip out on that), some sesame oil, some mirin sauce, a little bit of garlic powder and onion powder with some black pepper.  Maybe bake some fish or grill up some korean BBQ.  Place the noodles in a bowl and add the broth(just make sure you don't over fill it.)  I usually eat my noodles with chopsticks and drink the broth when I'm done(or drink the broth first and then eat the noodles.)

Enjoy.

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Edited by Anishna
  • Brohoof 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kvdq8cRNBM

I cook mine like this. About a week or so before I get hungry I'll start building the machine and allow about 3 days to take it down again when I finish cooking. I even hire a Japanese game show host to commentate the event. It takes a while but the taste is worth it.

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy
  • Brohoof 1

1. Boil water with a pinch of salt to prevent noodles from turning to mush.

2. Add noodles.

3. Cook 3 minutes or until noodles are tender, but not mush.

4. Add more salt if noodles turn to mush. (this really works in making them notmush again)

5. Remove from heat, drain a little bit of excess water, and stir in the seasoning. (oriental is the only one I eat)

6. Take out all the noodles and slurp down the soup juice.

I only like the seasoning water.  :D Don't care for the noodles.

take the pack of ramen and crush it abit. i don't like the ramen really long.

put it in a bowl with water and microwave for like, 3 - 4 minutes.

take it out, usually drain the water or leave just a little in it.

put in the flavor pack.

usually also put in hotsauce, bbq sauce or chili powder for more tastes, depends on my mood.

then stir and eat. :3

2 ways. if you're refering to the Mr. Noodles type stuff in a plastic wrapper.

1, dump into bowl+ add hot water,stir. add in flavour packet,sir..then eat.

2: crush the noodles in the bag,spread flavour packet inside bag, shake then eat. which is more the snacky way of eating them IMO.