Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So... How do YOU cook your Ramen?

Samrules350

Ugh no.I don't anymore, seriously I, can't eat instant ramen noodles anymore, i keep a bunch in my pantry for guests and our roommate, who actually makes fried ramen which is magical.

I do go.and buy actual ramen noodles from a local Asian grocer and.use them in stir fries and will boil them in low sodium.chicken broth with veggies but instant pacakge ramen days are over

• Brohoof 1

I bring PRECISELY two cups of water (taking water adhesion to glass into consideration) to a rolling boil, put on my spacewalk-grade oven gloves  (cuz I'm a pussy who doesn't like having hot hands ) and drop the whole block in, but make sure EVERY SINGLE NOODLE GETS IN (I don't even let a little piece stay in the packet).  After precisely ten seconds, I take a fork and push the noodles underwater until the fork reaches the bottom of the pot.  At this point, I keep stirring and do not stop until the exact specifications for my chosen tenderness of noodles are met.  At this point, I stir the noodles one more time to make them spin in the pot, then I add my flavour packet (ensuring, with scale, that less than a gram of flavour stays in the packet), stir it up, put my gloves on again, and gently pour the thing into a pot.  Then, I sprinkle exactly three rotations of a pepper grinder in a triangle formation so that it floats on the water, and maybe chop up a green onion sprig or two and sprinkle those in.

And there you have it - a quick, simple way to make ramen!

(edited)

The way I cook now is by the package mostly. I wait till the water boils, then I stick both the noodles and the flavouring on top. Then when the noodles start to soften I use dem chopsticks to determine weather the noodles are soft enough, and I may taste some if im not sure.

About 98% of the time it has turned out to taste the way I want it to be, so I know my method of cooking is actually well.

The one thing I dont do is drain all the water n such. I keep it there just to continue on the taste, and sometimes my mom will force me to drink it all when I dont wanna.

Now I dont mind doing that, but its just when im forced to I dont like it.

Edited by 1_0_4_3268764 0 OK 0

(edited)

Anyone else have the "packaged in bowl" type ramen, rather than the "brick of noodles" type?

I usually have one of these:

shin_ramyun.jpg

1) Boil water.

2) Partially open lid.

3) Pour water in.

4) Let it soak.

5) Enjoy.

By the way, *nothing* beats actual fresh, non-instant ramen.

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 1

- Boil water on stove

- Before it bubbles, stir in chicken-flavored powder with wooden spoon

- Wait for bubbles

- Add noodle block

- Once noodles start to separate, add two room-temperature eggs.

- Poach said eggs

- Once poaching is complete, pour contents into bowl

- Break yolks, stir them in, and enjoy!

Omnomnomnom

Anyone else have the "packaged in bowl" type ramen, rather than the "brick of noodles" type?

shin_ramyun.jpg

My mom has that same bowl but with tons and tons of other stuff.

She loves puttin in lots of other vegetables and even hotdogs in that stuff. Trust me, it may look kinda disgusting but its actually not half bad.

I keep mine whole, and boil them just enough so that start to come apart from the square (about 1 1/2 min).  I don't like any pasta fully cooked (to the point where it'll stick to the wall).

If I use the flavor packet, i drain almost all the water out of the pan, so that when the flavor packet is added, there's no soup left over. 

If I don't use the flavor packet (which is almost always the case), I drain ALL the water out, add butter, and put loads of Parmesan cheese on it, sometimes with a dash of garlic powder.  

The only flavor of ramen I'll eat with the packet is Creamy Chicken Flavor.

Oh! and all the crumbs that are left over in the bag when I put the block in the pot, I eat solid...crunchy :D

img-1423210-1-shin_ramyun.jpg

1) Boil water.

2) Partially open lid.

3) Pour water in.

4) Let it soak.

5) Enjoy.

By the way, *nothing* beats actual fresh, non-instant ramen.

I enjoy the bowls now and then, though most of the nong shim have beef fat in them so once I went veggie I had to find something else. I get Sapporo Ichiban. I often get the Miso flavor of the brick type, and the soy sauce flavor of the bowl type. With those I cook them precisely as instructed on the package. 

When I get Top Ramen (either oriental or chili) I often microwave them. Just put the noodles in a ziplock bowl, add water, nuke, add seasoning packet, enjoy.

I also get a "chow mein" style where you take two cups of water and boil the noodles but let them soak up the water. Then toss them on a plate, add seasoning packet and seawead packet and enjoy!

I have a variety of chopsticks and fancy bowls but I am no stranger to the ziplock bowl and plastic fork as well.

I have a recipe for home made ramen I want to try at some point.

- Put a small pot of water on medium-high heat.  2 cups for every packet used.

- In a small sauce pan, grease with sesame seed oil and butter and sautee mushrooms (portabella or shittake preferred), garlic, green onions, bean sprouts, and carrots on high heat until cooked through (Meat is optional; try to match with flavor of ramen and dice into small pieces)

-Add Mushroom Soy Sauce, Sarachi Hot Sauce, and salt and pepper to taste in sauteed veggies and stir.  Set aside. (And if really spicy today, add habanero or ghost chili sauce)

-Once water begins to bubble, but not boil, add half of the seasoning packet, a teaspoon of a corresponding bullion, soy sauce, salt, white pepper, a pinch of sugar, pinches of basil, cilantro, savory, thyme, and more sarachi and set temperature to simmer.

-Whisk one egg in bowl until well blended, pour SLOWLY in simmering broth while stirring

-Simmer for 5 minutes

-Add sauteed veggies, stir and increase heat back to medium high

-When boiling, add noodles

-Stir and cook until noodles are soft but not soggy and easily broken

-Serve immediately.

• Brohoof 1

Someone taught me a simple, horrible-for-you but tasty ramen recipe I've played with over the years.

Cook your ramen noodles like usual, but omit the seasoning packet.

While your water is boiling, etc. open a can of cream of mushroom soup, and either heat it on the stove (boo, time consuming) or cook it in a covered bowl in the microwave (yay, instant gratification!)  Either way you go, add a can of drained tuna to the soup, and some ground coriander (the seeds, not the herbs, for our UK bronies.)

When the ramen and soup mixtures are both cooked, drain the ramen (you don't have to get every drop, just make sure it isn't waterlogged) and combine them, stirring well.  This is the stage I would add fresh-grated parm or romano cheese if you'd like.

The resulting mess looks like BRAINS but it's delicious.

If you have company, you can make a casserole version!  Follow the above directions but double everything, (don't bother cooking the soup/tuna) and pour the resulting mixture into a rectangular casserole dish.  

You can add peas, or broccoli florets to make it slightly healthier.  

Instead of mixing the cheese into it (or in addition to, 6,6 )  top with parm/romano or even sharp cheddar, bake at 350 for 30 minutes, and for the last 5-10 minutes of baking pour on some French fried onions.  Watch them carefully, those suckers love to burn.  

WARNING: this casserole is extremely dense.  Eat slowly, or you will find yourself feeling like you've just eaten a cinder block.

As Brisineo mentioned, when cooking more conventional ramen you can crack a raw egg into the cooking noodles and it will cook right there with your ramen.  Try to add the egg in a slow stream instead of a big plop, or the egg will sink to the bottom of the pot and stick there.  x,x

My step by step procedure on how to make perfect ramen.

Step one: Find a bowl that the brick of ramen will fit in.

Step two: empty one packet of Ramen into said bowl

Step three: Run water into bowl until it just barely covers the top of the Ramen Brick

Step four: Microwave on High for Three Minutes, Thirty-five seconds. I have found this to be the best time for Microwave ramen as the noodles are always perfect.

Step Five: Remove ramen from microwave and drain.

Step six: Add a select amount of cold water to the bowl. (depending on how brothy you like your noodles. This also allowed noodles to be eaten immediately without burning your mouth.)

Step seven: Add flavoring packet and Enjoy.

Depends. As its only instant ramen, I do it two ways:

Cheap rubbish (Nissin "Top Ramen", Maruchan and the likes): Boil some water, cook noodles for 2-3 minutes, drain, dump seasoning in with some leftover water, mix and enjoy the salt.

Not cheap rubbish (Sapporo Ichiban, Anything with Asian characters rather than an alphabet/costs more than a quarter per pack): Boil the 2 cups of water that they usually require, dump the seasoning in the water along with the noodles, cook for the recommended time and pour into a bowl. Occasionally I add some ritz or some teriyaki beef from a local store.

(edited)
  1. Boil some water
  2. Add some actual chili (usually I cut it with a scissor)
  3. Throw the seasonings in including the chili powder
  4. Cut (still with scissor) some vegetables (maybe spinach) and put it in
  5. Stir
  6. Put the noodle in a bowl
  7. Crack some eggs and put them into the bowl
  8. Stir the noodle and the egg so that the eggs will cover the noodle
  9. Throw it to the boiling water
  10. Keep stirring as it cooks,
  11. Add another egg (don't make this one cover the noodle)
  12. Get a bucking spoon
  13. Give it to your cat or gobble it by yourself
post-10241-0-59968900-1355149338.jpg

What? Asian love eggs.

Edited by Sky Warden

You may find this incredibly strange, but I usually don't cook ramen before I eat it. Just crush it up in the bag and eat it like it's chips (I do this when I run out of chips). Doesn't taste bad, but doesn't taste great. When I actually do cook ramen, I usually just follow the basic instructions, nothing too fancy. I remember one time I did add some spices to it,  but I don't remember if it was good or not.(probably not). 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You may find this incredibly strange, but I usually don't cook ramen before I eat it. Just crush it up in the bag and eat it like it's chips (I do this when I run out of chips). Doesn't taste bad, but doesn't taste great. When I actually do cook ramen, I usually just follow the basic instructions, nothing too fancy. I remember one time I did add some spices to it,  but I don't remember if it was good or not.(probably not). 

post-10241-0-50285000-1357896454.jpg

I do that too dude. I usually put the powders in (usually also with the oil), crush the noodle, and shake it. It tastes like uhm...

post-10241-0-27091100-1359802931.jpg

I- I will go back after a moment.

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 1

1: crush up ramen in bag

2: pour ramen into mouth

3: drink some boiling water

4: add seasoning

Lol actually I just cook it normally and sometimes add chicken chunks.

Step one: Retrieve.

Step two: Ask a parent to cook it

I don't trust myself in a kitchen. Mainly because I can't cook. And I don't feel like starting a fire.

Ramen is overrated. For someone who actually cares about food, it gets old quick. Soup in general gets old quick. After awhile, the thought of imbibing liquid as food makes me sick.

• Brohoof 1

I eat it dry most of the time.

Open the top of the bag,take out the flavoring,crush the ramen,put the flavoring on ramen,and then shake the bag up.Very unhealthy,but very delicious. wub.png

Cook it like usual then add some Tabasco, Soy sauce, Sesame seed oil spam, (or maybe beef...any other kind of meet that tastes good!) Eggs and Seaweed. That's a lot but i don't always have ALL of that together. But i always must have my Tabasco. My mom puts sour cream...i haven't tried that tho...