Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So... How do YOU cook your Ramen?

Samrules350

If we're talking instant stuff, then I usually fry an egg (breaking the yolk, of course, because gooey yolk is gross as hell) to completion, and right before it's done I throw a bowl of already-hot water on it, either that I boiled before or just heated tap.

Let that sizzle like crazy, cool down, then I turn the heat up to max to boil again, and throw in the noodles. I don't let the noodles get soft while they're boiling- instead, I take them out and into the bowl once they're just barely starting to get soft, throw the egg on top, and then drop the water they were on slowly on both into the bowl. This way, they don't get soggy, while still being able to be in piping hot water.

Then I throw in the packet, some soy if I feel like it, and bam! Not-so-bad-for-you-anymore instant ramen.

As for regular ramen, I have no clue. Never cooked it before, although I have been to a legit ramen and udon shop before, albeit foreeeeeever ago.

Well ramen is ONLY when there is not much food around. It's not something I choose to have. I usually cook it as follows:

1. Boil water
  2. When it's boiling add ramen
  3. I usually boil it more than average
  4. Drain the juice (hate the juice)
  5. Add to bowl
  6. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top

?That's my way blink.png 

Hm... Recently I cooked something wonderful. I cooked the noodles as the instructions said. Then I drained the stuff, put it in a deep plate, added a spoon of butter, 2 spoons of soy sauce (aka shoyu), and half of the meat seasoning. I mixed it all together and bam, inta-deliciousness.

Ooh...this is such a great topic! Instant ramen can be used in SO many different ways. Most times, I simply like to boil the noodles and throw in some chives, gochujang, pork belly, and top it off with a  poached egg. The most adventurous thing I've done with ramen is make buttered gnocchi and cracked pepper beef tips.

I honestly just cooked them pretty normally, threw it in a bowl with water or whatever, added the flavor stuff and then cooked in the microwave. Then stir and enjoy ;p.

I never added anything crazy, and i haven't even eaten ramen in forever ;p.

After watching some YouTube videos, my whole ramen world has changed.  Instead of just college-style Mr. Noodles ramen, it's now 'authentic' Korean-Style Ramyeon.  BTW, this is Korean college-student, not Korean chef.  Here's the new method:

• Bring a little bit more than 2 cups of water, lidded, to a boil.  (I've also switched from gas to induction heating, which is way faster)
  • Drop in your whole ramen block, and DON'T TOUCH IT.  
  • Pour on your flavour packet (yes, right now), and I sprinkle on some pepper for personal preference.  Again, don't touch the noodle block.  
  • Put the lid back on, and wait about a minute. 
  • After that, take the lid off, and, if the noodle block is solid enough, try and flip it over.  If it's too much, try and control the damage as you flip it.  You may want to use tongs or a spatula.
  • Drop in a whole egg.  Cracked, but otherwise untouched.  To make it clear, we're going to poach it.  Try and jam it between the noodle block and the side of the pot, so the yolk won't break.
  • Without putting the lid back on, wait another minute.  In the meantime, chop up some vegetables (I like a ton of green onions in my soup) and unwrap a processed cheese slice (I'll explain in a minute).
  • Once a minute is up, check how the egg is doing.  If all of the white is a solid white, and offers some form of resistance (don't use a pointy thing, or you'll release the yolk too early), turn the heat off.  If it's almost there, leave it on, but on a lower temperature, if you can.
  • Slap your processed cheese slice on there, and gently stir the noodles (yes, you can touch them now), taking care not to break the egg.  If you lose it and you're worried your chopsticks/fork/whatever will poke it, stop stirring and bring it to the top.   You're not trying to make the noodles as loose as American ramen, but just so that it's not one dense brick.  Also, try and spread the cheese around until you can't see it anymore. 
  • If you haven't already, turn off the heat.
  • Sprinkle on your vegetables or any other garnish you want.
  • Poke the egg open and pull on the hole just a bit, that the broth just begins to mingle with the yolk.
  • Enjoy!

Now, as for the cheese...

Although adding processed cheese sounds weird as hell, all it really is is coagulated oils, so coating the noodles in it gives it them an almost lubricated texture, and leaves a strangely good mouthfeel.  Also, it thickens the broth just the tiniest bit.

I actually found this new way of cooking ramen so good, I'm going to start packing it in a thermos for lunch, as opposed to something I only eat at home.

Edited by ping111
  • Brohoof 1

1: Put ramen brick inside large bowl.

2: Put water in large bowl.

3: Make a microwave contain a large bowl, most often the one in which Ramen is contained.

4: Put some peanut butter in the bowl, and chopped carrots.

5: Microwave for 6 minutes.

6: Burn my hand on the bowl and flinch back violently.

7: Put some adobo and ramen shrimp flavoring inside le bowl.

8: Dip my face in the bowl and eat it all directly.

9: Stir.

10: NOM DAT THANG!

• Brohoof 1

if i have the ingredients on hand, i'll usually add shrimp and/or imitation crabmeat, sriacha sauce or peanut sauce, and a frozen mix of random asian vegetables into the soup. if not, i'll just boil it up and eat like normal. oh yeah, i usually only break the noodles in half, or not at all. i like the noodles really long and in a huge knot =P

Edited by crazitaco

I feel so uncreative after reading these posts.  The extent of my ramen making comes down to following the instructions on the packet & heating it up in the microwave.  Though when it comes to the actual eating, I like to make random Naruto references until I'm done...  It makes me feel better about eating ramen XD

• Brohoof 1

i dont personally cook my ramen

ramen is not that big in the uk so i just go to "YO, sushi"

i noticed that most american try to be cool by eating japanese/asian food, thats probably why its more common 

I go fairly vanilla on it, boil water, open packet, take out flavor packet, dump noodles in boiling water, let cook, pour the boiling water and noodles in a bowl, pour the chicken flavor packet, put an ice cube or two in it so I can eat it faster, then enjoy. I do, however, occasionally add a spike of Old Bay to it. Unfortunately, most people don't get to experience it because Old Bay is pretty much only sold around my area (Mid-atlantic) so unless you order it online and have it shipped to your house, you won't be tasting it.

• 9 years later...

I once mixed my Ramen in tomatoes soup I  ook them both separately in my microwave first the tomato soup and I put my bowl of water and Ramen I like using square bowls to cook the Ramen so I don't have too break that noodles and when Ramen is nice and soft Ì poor the Ramen  into the tomatoes soup while it is still warm and add the packet and put in some  goldfish  crackerz