Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

Well the title says all. Do you judge people by their avatar, it is one thing I do all the time, I always say people are girls because they have Fluttershy as their avatar or I think people who do horrific duck faces are stupid when sometimes they are not. So what is your opinion...

• Brohoof 18

(edited)

Well, I would have an avatar of Fluttershy as I love that character and is my absolute favorite, but I would rather keep an avatar of my ponysona. 

But I sometimes make predictions on what a person is like based on their avatars. But I won't treat them any differently and won't judge them.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't normally judge people in general I think it would be rather silly to judge someone by a picture they have beside their name so no I don't judge people by there avatar. 

Edited by NightOwl

Only the good judging. That sounds bad, but basically, if I see someone with a DBZ avatar, that means they're cool and Dragonballer like me, so I friend them.

That's it, though.

• Brohoof 1

Looking at a user's avatar tells me a few things (which may or may not be true) about the user. Usually, this pertains to interests. For example, if the avatar were a canon pony, I'd assume that the pony is the user's favorite. I could make assumptions about the user's personality from there. If he had a Pinkie Pie avatar, for example, I might think he's a hyper, happy individual. People do tend to pick favorites based on how much they can relate, after all. If they had a band, I could assume they like that band and the band's genre. If they had a hammer-and-sickle, I'd make assumptions about their political beliefs. 

To answer your question, I do judge a user to some extent. Since users add their own avatars, there's undoubtedly an element of personality in their avatars. It's impossible to judge a user in his entirety, however, as the avatar is only best used as a snapshot of the personality. For something like that, I'd have to read his profile, view his posts, etc.  

• Brohoof 29

I'm not going to lie and say I don't. Usually someone with a really generic or low-quality avatar is newer and probably hasn't left much of an impression on me. This is only furthered by their avatar.

Conversely, if someone has a really nice avatar, I do feel a bit more compelled to learn more about them. It proves that they've put in more effort than the person who didn't use a nice avatar.

• Brohoof 2

I don't judge people by their avatars at all. There usually isn't a reason to judge anyone by their avatar in a negative way. No judging from this guy.

• Brohoof 2

No really. I read their about me page, then I see if  want to be their friend. Judging by an avatar is not really a good way of getting to know someone. Ever heard the saying don't judge a book by it's cover?

/)

• Brohoof 1

Looking at a user's avatar tells me a few things (which may or may not be true) about the user. Usually, this pertains to interests. For example, if the avatar were a canon pony, I'd assume that the pony is the user's favorite. I could make assumptions about the user's personality from there. If he had a Pinkie Pie avatar, for example, I might think he's a hyper, happy individual. People do tend to pick favorites based on how much they can relate, after all. If they had a band, I could assume they like that band and the band's genre. If they had a hammer-and-sickle, I'd make assumptions about their political beliefs. 

To answer your question, I do judge a user to some extent. Since users add their own avatars, there's undoubtedly an element of personality in their avatars. It's impossible to judge a user in his entirety, however, as the avatar is only best used as a snapshot of the personality. For something like that, I'd have to read his profile, view his posts, etc.  

This is what I meant! I wouldn't literally judge someone by their avatar, I am not that mean :3. Thats why I visit so many people profiles, because there avatar makes me click it :3

• Brohoof 1

Hello!

To be really honest, perhaps a little bit... A choosing of an avatar can show their liking and taste... Don't get me wrong, I don't judge people in a bad way... :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't judge anypony based on their avatar, to be honest. Everyone likes what they like. Even if I did have an opinion, I wouldn't judge them based on it.

• Brohoof 1

Well, most of the times no, however, sometimes, an avatar may tell about someone's behavior.

For example, I know a girl with an anime avatar, and when I talked to her, she was a huge fanatic of anime!

Sometimes you CAN tell someone by their avatar, but I personally don't agree all the way.

I don't judge of what I see, I judge once I know it.

• Brohoof 2

Well I'm not going to lie.. Sometimes I do. It depends what the avatar is. I shouldn't do that since I don't want people to judge me by seeing my Freddy Krueger..

Do you guys believe I'm some sort of guy who always wear black clothes and watch people killing eachother all days? :o

..Well I do watch horror way too much.. But I'm actually a very kind person who's quite emotional :o

• Brohoof 2

I was actually gonna start a thread like this. XD

Anyway, yes, I actually do sometimes. I thought a lot of the guys here were girls at first. :P

And if someone has an avatar with an angry pony on it I automatically assume that the person is like that. :lol:

I figure they're not pretty quickly, but still.

• Brohoof 1

It's kinda hard not to. It's nature to judge people by how they look, face-wise, in person, even if it's a subconscious thing you don't think about. An avatar is a personal chosen image that an individual uses to represent their online self. It's their internet face, for all intents and purposes. I know that a person's avatar is often used to remember a user just as much as their username.

• Brohoof 4

I don't infer much based on people's avatars.

If someone has an avatar referencing a video game, show, etc., I assume they like whatever it is(my avi). And, on this forum in particular, I assume whichever pony is on their avi is their favourite.

By the way, I am male, and I would be using a Fluttershy avi if I weren't so psyched for Last Light. 10 more days. ;-;

(edited)

Somewhat. If you have a poorly cropped, mediocre-looking OC as your avatar, I probably won't think too highly of you.

What I tend to judge people the most by is their posting—particularly grammar and content. If you don't make obvious grammatical errors on a consistent basis and have some nice content to go along with it, you're likely to get a good rep from me. 

Not that you should be concerned with what I think of you...

Edited by Kenny
  • Brohoof 1

It makes about as much of an impression as the clothes that someone is wearing when you meet them.  It gives you some of their style and interest.

• Brohoof 1

Not really.

I don't judge a person by their avatar however, I do see what the person is interested in. For an example a look at my avatar would prove that I'm a fan of both MLP and Adventure Time.

Now people who also like Adventure Time will get along with me well.

• Brohoof 2

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Man! Have I realized this multiple times!

Some of the most interesting and pleasant people I have encountered on the internet had a borderline repulsive outer presentation.

Nope. I judge them by the content of their posts. Seems rather silly to judge someone based on something as arbitrary as an avatar or signature.

Unless their avatar is overtly sexual, I try not to judge. Even then, It just sets me back a step. Like Dowlphin said, dont judge a book by its cover, as I've also made that mistake a few times.

• Brohoof 1

I think most of us do on a subconscious level because lets face it someone's avatar while it may not tell the whole story about them does tell you something about them. If it is a pony then it might be their favorite pony or possible even second or third favorite,considering all the avatars I have had I am surprised that this is only my second avatar with Applejack in it considering that I am one of the most outspoken Applejack fans on here, though I think much of that had to do with the fact that most of the time I had a signature it was an Applejack one.

And this can sometimes tell a bit about a person, alot of people relate strongly to certain ponies so that can tell a bit about their personality but again not everything. Someone could have a Fluttershy avatar for example and be a total jackass, or someone could have a Rainbow Dash avatar and be the most humble person here so really you never know.

Avatars are a user's online face. That's how I picture a user... I think everyone links an avatar to a name in the way we link our friends' faces to their names/personalities in real life. I don't judge based on an avatar, but those with better avatars catch my attention in the same way attractive people catch my attention in real life. :P There are very nice parallels to be drawn between digital culture and real life culture. 

• Brohoof 2