Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should there be an Equestria Girls show?

Forlong

Well that's the million bit question, isn't it?  Now that the movie has set things up and made it clear that there is a Twilight Sparkle in that universe, should they make a show of it?

I think they should.  They'd be able to tell a lot of interesting and funny stories with this new world of characters.

• Brohoof 7

it would be interesting how they would make this new world relevant now that princess twilight sparkle has gone back to equestria

but i think the movie was enough for hasbro. to go further into the development of this new world wold just make the fans upset just as the announcement of this movie did. people would start to think  they were replacing FIM. 

i sincerely hope they do not tun this movie into a full blown series as the movie was good enough for me. any more would spoil it.      

• Brohoof 7

As much drama and outrage there was with this one-shot movie i think it would just be elongating all those problems if they continued it into a tv series. Not to say that it couldn't be done but if you take all the talent of the mlp team and put it into 2 rival shows (one being ON TOPIC (ie My Little PONY)) that both would suffer quite a bit. We are already waiting nearly a FULL year for season 4 and frankly that is WAY too long, I don't think the fanbase is holding up that well or that splitting it further would be advisable for the benefit of ugly toy sales. Just because Equestria Girls isn't awful as was initially feared doesn't mean that it has full community support or that it even makes sense as a franchise.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

No.

And no again. Equestria was quite okay actually, and it had it's funny moments. It was much better than I expected it to be. But this whole ponies in our world thing is a one-time thing. Twilight had to go there to get her crown and if those series would be her going back for fun it would just be stupid. Twilight Sparkle belongs in her own world.

And even if that show would be just about the human-dimension-mane5, it would just be weird.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

I doubt it. We're already getting comics and a novelazation, what more do we need? Besides, with the way the movie was structured as a stand alone experience, it wouldn't make sense to continue it as a storyline

I know I haven't seen it yet, but its rather clear to me from the title and also the general reception that both the 'Ponies' and 'Friendship' side of the show took a back seat for the movie. I want to see those to elements be at the forefront of every related production. This is what EG needed to be a success. No girls, just flat out ponies, friendship and magic. That's what I want to see, and Hasbro should take full responsibility for shoving out content that most of us aren't interested in rather than believing that they can make all of their money off 6-13 year old girls.

So please, stick with MLP FiM. We don't need anything more.

I would rather it stay just the movie. After all, it feels good to just stay as a fun experience for twilight. They could do it sure, but what would it be about? there is no intriguing plot they could go after that we haven't seen. I do like Sunset Shimmer sorta but she's been in a disney channel highschool mindset for a while so she is hardly redeemable in my mind.

(edited)

I loved the movie a lot, but I think the human universe should be left to the imagination as I don’t think there’s much point to a whole show of Equastia Girls.

I think the stories that could be told with them as humans, could be told much more original and unique in Equastia with them as ponies: because as good as the movie was in my opinion, I'm sure there’s lots of shows about teen humans in a high school, but there’s not many I’d imagine about ponies in a magical land like Equastia

Edited by Asherdangerdash

I'd kinda like to see what would've happened if Twilight remained a human due to, I don't wanna spoiler so I'm just gonna say "hammer",

But it'd take them more to complete a fim season. Soooo, no.

Sure why not. You never know until you give it a chance ;)

I wouldn't mind a spinoff series, it must air in between FiM seasons though, IMO. I think that would work the best. I think the series would be really good. (Don't kill me). I LOVED the movie, so I know I'll LOVE the show. It's seperate from the FiM world, theres a Twilight in that universe, so why not. Take a shot at it, I would definately watch it for sure. I know some people would hate the idea but I will give it a chance no matter what. You never know until you give it a chance, keep that in mind ;)

• Brohoof 1

I really liked the movie, and I think it adapted the concept of friendship really well to the high school setting. Considering all the drama and cliques it's comprised of, high school is actually a setting that is very much in need of friendship lessons. We can see that adult fans are able to apply morals found in the series to their own lives, and high school years tend to be a time that people get lost and could use moral guides.

Bronies aren't MLP's target audience, and Hasbro shouldn't have to bow to the whim of anyone other than the little girls (and big girls) it wants to market to.

I say that there should indeed be an Equestria Girls series, but I don't know how they would get it to work alongside the pony universe (or how they would get enough manpower to keep both series going nicely). The movie ending allows for some interesting potential that's beyond just high school drama, so that would be something to look forward to.

Thinking about it though, where is the original human Twilight Sparkle? All of her friends had counterparts...Sounds like a "find the princess" Sailor Moon plot could be in order for episode one. Original human Twilight could take the lead role, with the pony universe just something they all acknowledge but nothing more. Future episodes could even include crossovers, where the ponies visit every 30 moons!

Honestly, the idea sounds exciting to me.

• Brohoof 1

Here's what I think: the Equestria Girls movie had something running for it since it was about Twilight, a pony, exploring a strange new world unfamiliar to her for reasons that were at least somewhat investing, setting it apart from what otherwise could have been a shallow high school tween drama that made up the first five-or-so seconds of ZXInsanity's first parody of the subject. Unless the show continues this "fish out of water" element, it had better offer something that doesn't give more weight to the original negative assumption of the show.

Although I love the movie I don't think they should. Since it would take away from the show it's self. Plus they might not be able to afford two shows at a time so it would be a waste of time and money. Also people might forget about the original MLP:FiM which no one wants. 

(edited)

Nope.

While I loved the Equestria Girls movie, I feel that there isn't enough content left in that world to sustain an actual television show. We had a nice story in the movie and I think that's enough. Also, considering that there are basically the same characters in the human world as there are in Equestria; there wouldn't really be much of a point creating another show for Equestria Girls.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 3

Dear Celestia! NO! Like yeah, it was a good movie but a series!?!?!?!? seriously whoever would even try to make this I shall LOVE AND TOLERATE THE CRAP OUT OF THEM! 

~Tri-Dart

post-17346-0-35587500-1372463106.jpg

(edited)

The "fish out of water" element, as nice as it was, took away what other potential the movie could have offered. The movie has a time limit, and they had to shorten a lot of other stuff to include all the detail regarding Twilight's adaptation to the new world.

For example, the main cast's problems with each other were introduced and fixed in just one scene. If they had gone deeper into the character's emotions regarding the "betrayals" of each other that resulted in a close friendship now broken, it would have really struck a chord instead of coming off as shallow bickering.

Sunset Shimmer's actions were petty, but actually exemplified the sneaky passive-aggressive backstabbing behavior found commonly in high school. Rather than ignore that facet in favor of making something else up, I think using reality as a reference helped the movie be more believable. Again, if more time was spent showing the depth of her emotions, Sunset Shimmer's actions would be understood as more dire than the typical "I don't like her, so I'm, like, totally gonna be mean to her" impression we get from many shallow tween dramas.

To compare it to the ponyverse, in Sweet and Elite, the plot is very shallow and overdone. Rarity must decide whether to make a friend's birthday present, or become popular with fancy bigwigs (alternatively, "the cool kids"). Naturally, things escalate and she has to decide between who she wants to hang out with.

I've seen this plot done badly many times, but in MLP's case, we understand that this is a very serious situation with Rarity. She's very generous and caring about her friends, but at the same time, Canterlot and high society has been her dream since we first met her. This situation is essentially making Rarity choose between her friends and her dearest dreams. In this way, emotion turned an otherwise shallow plot into a very tough emotional decision that's relatable to the audience.

In the same way, Sunset Shimmer has a lot of potential as a deep character, but there was simply no time to portray her as anything other than a conniving, shallow villian. Similarly, while the main cast showed that they didn't like each other, there wasn't enough time to show how pained they were to have their friends "betray" them in the first place, which would have then understandably led to their avoidance of the matter, which would then turn the audience's impression of the situation from "tween drama" to "psychological pain that's very relatable".

tl;dr: "Fish out of water" concept being replaced by emotional depth sound like a winning strategy.

Edited by Blique
  • Brohoof 4

So it seems the general reaction is:

I'm rather amused by this.  You're not content with saying you'd rather there not be a show, you have to try and convince everypony that it would be the worst think ever.  You know, the exact same thing that was said about this movie.

• Brohoof 1

They kinda did leave it open at the end for a continuation didn't they?

-Spoilers-

I mean the way Twilight left Sunset Shimmers with the pony human friends so that she could learn about friendship.

But to be honest, any show following that premise would really just be going over most of the stuff already covered in MLP, The movie was a good movie but in my opinion it should stay as a standalone thing.