Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Do you buy your games pre-owned or new?

Jibbs93

Pre-owned or New?  

57 users have voted

1. 1. Pre-owned or New?

• Pre-owned
    • New

Mostly new because I like things, well... shiny and new. I don't like to wait for bargain prices either. The only time I may buy a game used is if it was one that I was curious about and it's a great price that I won't feel bad about spending if the game sucks.

I'm a Pc-gamer, so I don't get to choose and either way I like to support the game developer, so I wouldn't buy used games.

I like having the feeling of supporting something, I think is good, which also results in me not buying games from certain developers.

This is also part of the reason, why I don't Torrent games.

Almost always new

Why?

Used games or at least the popularity of them are ruining the industry. Developers make the games, developers depend on publishers to sell the games, and they both depend on NEW sales. (They receive no profit from used) Used games are great because one can go buy and replay classics, but now it seems that used game sales are buy the game a month later to save a few bucks. This is killing the publishers which is harming the developers.

As much fun as it is to see big publishers like EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Activision, etc. cry, I find it sad that we are in the end paying the price for it. Irony? We save a few bucks now, but pay later! There's already the war on used games with pre-order bonuses, retail exclusives, and worse of all online passes! But these awful weapons (and yes there's worse) is if the new console generation "goes nuclear"! As in the consoles themselves limit used discs or just omit them entirely! D:

So call me a hippie, but I try to buy new when possible! Even call me a hipster because I try not to support evil publishers like EA, Capcom, or Ubisoft whenever possible. And hell I stopped going to Game Stop so I can support my local game store because they are freakin' amazing, but struggling to sell new games because Retail exclusives! :(

I do not play video games as often as I did when I was younger, but I buy both new and used games depending on the circumstances. For instance, I often buy PS3 games on the "Greatest Hits" list, given that they are cheap to begin with. However, I will also look around ebay for used games in good condition (some of these used games came in like-new condition for a good price).

When it comes to paying the full $60.00 for a brand new game, I do not do this often, and I only pay this much for a game when I am eagerly anticipating the game (I recently bought a new copy of Skyrim, and this was the first time I paid $60.00 for a game in quite awhile. Admittedly, paying $60.00 more often for a game would not kill me financially speaking, but I prefer to spend my spare cash on firearms, ammunition, reloading/handloading components, and books.

Edited by M14Brony

I learned my lesson with Dead Space 2. Always buy new.

Bought it used for $25 and then got home and found out I needed to buy a $10 online pass. I ended up paying $35 for a used game when I couldve bought new for $30.

Ever since then, I have to be the sole owner of the game.

Why not both?

All though, owning only a PS2, I've been getting pre-owned games now from a local video game store.

Put both as an option please.

• 1 month later...

New releases, obviously, I buy new. But for any game that's been around for more than a few months, used. Most places who sell them offer a warranty, so if the game is unplayable you can get a different copy without charge.

I hardly ever buy any new games, so my answer would be used.

I usually buy my games new. I have no reservations about buying used games but I typically get the games I want very shortly after their release so used is rarely an option; and if it is an option so early on, that just clues me in that I probably shouldn't bother.

I can't answer the poll because there's no both =p I tend to buy them used if there's a big price difference. Otherwise I buy the game new. It also matters if there's any problems with the pre owned copy.

Some times I buy my games used but other times if its a game I really want I saved up money and buy it new tho.But mostly half the time I buy my games used cause today the prices for new games is extremely high its just like how the nes and other retro video games used to be back then.

If I remember correctly the old retro games used to cost like 70 to 80 dollars back then at toys r us.

It depends if I'm desperate for the game. If it's a hard-to-find game and you have to order it via internet to get it as new, finding it pre-owned is a blessing (since I can't order stuff via internet).

I usually like to buy pre-owned, because it's cheaper and slightly more environment-friendly.

Depends on the game really. Some, like Skyrim... I must have the day they come out, however others I am willing to wait a few months and pick up a used copy online.

I always buy new. I've only bought one pre-owned game in my life, and that was because it was M. I had to make my dad buy the game, since I didn't want to get the employee fired. He made the dumb decision of getting a pre-owned copy. The only reason I would ever consider buying pre-owned ever again is for the large number of PowerUp Rewards points I would get.