Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been singled out in class before?

Moonlight

Well I had this one teacher that would always use my art as an example for the class, "Do this," or, "Don't do this," it was pretty embarrassing for me at the time and he never let me explain why I did what I did with my artwork.  

This other time I had a computer teacher that would always chew me out in front of everyone if I didn't get something perfect and would always knock me back a grade or outright fail my school work(surprise surprise, I failed his class because of it).  it started shortly after we had a discussion and I mentioned that I was actually mixed(I look white as hell so it's always a shock to people) and I noticed a pattern to his madness.  He would only do stuff like this to the mixed kids in his classes, not any other minority but only to mixed kids for some odd reason.  People did complain to the principal but nothing ever came out of it.  It made my year feel like I was being dragged through hot coals.

• Brohoof 1

In highschool I used to fall asleep in class a lot. Mostly in English, so my teacher moved me to the front so she could slam a book on my desk without having to walk to the back of the room. Other than the times I fall asleep, I just play it off. I don't talk much but when I get called on for something I would do some little skit off the top of my head.

• Brohoof 1

My Junior year in High school, it was math class and I guess someone previous from the class drew a pile of poop on the white board.  Our math teacher never gave a crap what we did, except the helper for the Special Ed kids, She was a major b**ch!!! I was in IEP due to Anxiety problems.

Well, our entire class was making jokes about the poop doodle on the board, and this one kid was like "Preston, did you draw that?" Jokingly of course. He was class clown. Preston was my one friend in Special Ed. So, the same kid made a few more jokes and the entire class started giggling. The b**ch of the IEP help was like "Everyone in this room, quit laughing, including you Sam and Preston". She totally singled me and Preston out of everyone, alls because we are her only two Special ed kids in that class.

It wasn't embarrassing, but uncalled for. Really? The entire class laughed....

• Brohoof 1

Oh, 'tis the life of a bassoon player. Especially in band a year and a half ago when I was the only bassoon player. Somehow I managed that really well and miss it. =(

As a bass clarinet player, I know how you feel.  ^_^

I had sort of an interesting situation in my 11th grade English class.  Due to a bizarre scheduling conflict, I ended up taking the 12th grade English class.  That was all fine and good, except that the seniors in high school are released several weeks before everyone else, so after that point, I was literally the only student in the class and the teacher had no choice but to single me out.  I felt bad for her since I was basically ruining her free period, but she seemed fine with it and was a great teacher overall, so I didn't mind.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it was quite a while ago but my family and I moved houses again, that meant moving to a new school. It was half way through the year, so everyone was already friends and who wants to be friends with the new kid who has a really strong foreign accent? I was singled out all the time for like 6 months.

it's ok, it was a long time ago

Emma-Stone.gif

Yeah...actually this one was completely insane.

So...as a kid, I sucked at organization...to be honest, I still kinda do, but I'm a lot better than I was...

So, one day, I'm sitting at my desk in class I think I was in the 5th grade...

My desk was one of these.

category18.jpg

and me being unorganized, had shoved some of my things in there, without really having time to "put everything in order."

Well...my teacher was very strict, and very OCD...baaaad combination.

So we're in class right? and my teacher asks me for an assignment, so I start rummaging around a little to get out the paper,

and she goes "your work area is hideous! This is unacceptable!" and legitimately flips my desk over so everything falls out onto the floor.

Right in front of the whole class!

Now let me be clear, I was bullied from around 1st grade through 9th, so everyone in class took that as even more ammunition to make my life

miserable. I'm a grown adult now, and I still cringe thinking about that moment...so humilating.

teachers knew not to call on me because I will just stair at them I hated having to go up infornt of the class because of my problems with scopophobia that no one seems to understand in most of my schools I was known as "the mute" I would sometimes talk but rarely

as for a time I got singled out..... there was this one moment but I thought it was more funny then anything it was cosplay day for my Junior year and I dressed up as a RED Scout I also shaved and got a haircut I sat in my normal spot in Chemistry the teacher came in and stared at me then everyone was staring he walks up to me and says "what are you doing" someone answers for me saying I signed up for the cosplay competition  the teacher then said "okay but please get back to your class" I had to explain to him who I was then the entire class started to laugh

if you want to know how the competition went

I have a flawless RED scout outfit and they don't put me in the honorable mention my friend is wearing a Japanese club shit and a skirt and says she is a Japanese school girl of course she gets second place damn Japanese club and their biasness to Japan

• 7 years later...

Many times for many reasons. Most of the time it's for something that was taught when I was not in school.

"You should have been paying attention yesterday" 

"I was in Fargo yesterday 400 miles away"

"Well you shouldn't have went"

"Yeah well not all of us have lake houses we can go to all summer"

And so on into an argument. Teachers eventually figured out that if they didn't poke at me, I stayed quiet. Unless it was history, then...well long story short I wasn't afraid to correct history lessons and have physical evidence to back up my claims.

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 2

• 9 months later...

Funny how reversed I was in school. Public school I was singled out as one of those kids who doesn’t care about school, have the lowest grades, and gets in trouble even when troubles was the first to find me, compared to most of my classmates. Except 6th grade. We’re all pretty much blended altogether. While in private school up to high school, I was an opposite of that. Lots of my classmate here in high school struggled with most lessons since my school teaches us to be set for college. And I was only the few with the highest grade, always get my work done and straight A’s. Let alone are a bit more matured, shrewd, hard worker, and staying out of troubles, than most of my classmates my age. But all the same I’m always been the ‘lone wolf type’ in all schools. 

• 5 months later...

A few times back in elementary school, though I can't remember what for. High school was fine, but funnily enough, it happened several times in college classes, too.

That happened to me a couple of times. I had the habit of falling asleep during class, so I don't think those teachers were too happy about that. :p

• 2 months later...

A ton. Grade school becuse I threw up ALL the time. I had some kind of thing that made me sick all the time so I’d have everyone staring at me when I got up to the trash or puking all over the desk! 

then 3rd grade the teacher was so mad at my messy desk she was yelling and even flipped my desk over in front of everyone. 

5th grade every day i didn’t understand any of the math so my teacher would always make me cry and single me out to go to the chalk board and explain things. He was a mean old man made lots of kids cry to.

then 5th I was out half the year cus I had back surgery and when I came back everyone knew and kids where always wanting me to show them my scar.

middle school and high school mostly because I was the quiet kid and everyone was acted shocked if I ever talked or made any sound at all. Witch got hard in high school my Tourette’s spiking up and I would flick my hand and pencil flying across the room or I’d make odd noises and busted pens for pushing on the paper with scribbles. Luckily I didn’t have to bad vocal tics around then though.

then anything else we’re just bullies. :Cozy:

On 2023-09-08 at 4:23 PM, Clawdeen said:

Yeah I was a few times….

Oof I feel that growing up. Especially when I was helping people out and then I would become an example by a teacher. I remember getting suspended a few times between 1st thru 3rd grade for trying to explain myself too. 

Yup, it seems like a bunch of times. I got sick of it so I started making these uncomfortable situations pay off. If the teacher singled me out I enjoyed replying in a way that made him/her seem like they were the one under the spotlight. If they asked a question I didn’t know the answer to in order to generate ridicule, I told them I didn’t know because I was lulled to a stupor by rote teaching methods designed more for treating insomnia than engaging the mind. Obviously they didn’t appreciate being treated on an equal basis, and sent me to detention for it or called my parents. But it was so worth it because I never had to feel like the victim after that. Some things are worth being punished for, and they didn’t single me out quite as much after that. 

Many times for good and bad things.

I'm not going to go over the bad stuff because it is just depressing and led to a lot of social trauma. (Obligatory boot to the head to whoever said "School days are the happiest days of your life.")

But one fond hindsight thing that I remember was during my first or second year of infant school. I was one of these types of children that didn't really understand the concept of school. For me back then, it was just some weird place that the grown ups stuck me. First day of school, my mum and my first year teacher had to literally pull me off the car door. But that's irrelevant to the story.

Anyway. Like I said. I had absolutely no idea why I was in school or the whole social concept of it. So I was pretty much a loner just sitting there looking around aimlessly and just doing whatever the teacher wanted without really getting what it was I was doing or why. Just something the grown ups wanted me to do and that was that. One lesson, we were given this mathematics work book. And by book, I mean a flimsy 3 pages stapled together which was all sums with the usual spaces you had to fill in with the answer.

I ended up doing the whole thing within minutes without really knowing what I was doing. Just put what I felt made sense.

Anyway. It turned out I wasn't supposed to have done the whole 3 pages and was supposed to have only done the first 10 on the first page. I completed the whole thing in the time it took everyone else to struggle with the first 5. Also got a a vast majority of them right. The teacher stopped the whole class to praise my work. Yet I had absolutely no idea what was going on. :sealed:

Then things were expected of me... Wasn't allowed the 'sin' of failure. :sunny:

In 8th grade, my math teacher loved to single me and a few other kids out.

One time I remember twirling the calculator around while listening and he stopped the lesson to shame me for doing that, saying I (and the other specific kids too) would fail unlike everyone else.

I had the last laugh though. I still fidgeted with my stuff and got decent passing grades all the way up to 12th grade and graduated perfectly fine. Never changed my studying habits either since I had a system that worked well enough :P