Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been singled out in class before?

Moonlight

Every day, back in primary and secondary school.<br /><br />Being the lonely fat literate athiest rationalist ginger kid in a class full of chavs that prove Idiocracy true was not a fun experience.<br /><br />And now, in college, I'm the designated "Call him over, he knows the answer, even if I don't and neither does the teacher" guy.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, 'tis the life of a bassoon player. Especially in band a year and a half ago when I was the only bassoon player. Somehow I managed that really well and miss it. =(

• Brohoof 2

Sometimes I would get blamed or accused of something, that mostly happened in my elementary school years where I was a pretty crazy boy. When it came to high school, it wasn't so bad since I was usually being asked for an answer or to read something aloud. Overall, being singled out hasn't been all that bad even though I don't like attention that much.

• Brohoof 1

During a presentation in my biology class I kinda just got stared at with fucking daggers and I kept mumbling and tripping in words and losing my place. This one kid kept making a big deal of my nervousness and I eventually just gave up and walked away and went into my music.

In ninth grade the principal called me on the loudspeaker by first name only like it was routine and I was asked through the halls "Was it weed?" And they'd laugh. My teacher use to swerve around my questions saying it was wrong because I didn't understand the question apparently.

I never really smile but I'm not mean either I can't tell why and some times I can why they avoid and make fun of me

• Brohoof 1

I had to make an oral presentation once in elementary school. For reasons I don't quite understand even now, I chose prosthetic limbs as my topic. (I was a bit precocious back then, but WTF was I thinking?!?) I was so nervous  I could hardly stand, but I managed to get through it. Everyone seemed to like the large hand drawn copy I made of a woodcut from the encyclopedia showing an artificial leg from the early 1800's. I was shocked to actually get an "A"! I thought I was going to fail because I as so nervous. I'm 35 now, and I remember how nervous I felt, as if it was only yesterday!

• Brohoof 1

Hell yeah I have been, and it felt GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know I hate PE anyways and screw football, running is better recreation.

Yes, but not necessarily for a bad thing exactly.

Since I was homeschooled all my life until I went into public school in 8th grade, I had plenty of times early on where teachers will have stuff to explain to me, and of course when I first came to class and was introduced.

Also one of the teachers gave me the tour around the school since i didn't know anything about it, if that really counts.

Also one of my teachers had to explain how one of the tests they did worked, which I guess was kinda regardless, but it wasn't that difficult to get :P.

All of the teachers knew I was homeschooled though, so they all gave me slightly special treatment at times. Not necessarily good since I'm not one for a lot of attention.

Also most of 8th grade knew me for being homeschooled anyways, but eh thats kinda irrelevant to this question xD.

But yeah I have been singled out alot last year, or 8th grade year or whatever year that'd be. Not really much though anymore 9th grade.

We have the same situation, except when I went into 8th grade after home-school I didn't get an orientation, I ended up getting in trouble for not knowing what a pass was and a lot of other stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Yes......... alllll the time. Even by my teacher lol. Its always in good fun though. Im the one in class thats like the underdog, that has to work harder to understand and comprehend lessons and pass test, so ill get called out, not directly but he will look at me when he says it lol.

• Brohoof 1

I, along with everyone else, would get singled out in my Spanish class during senior year of high school.  The Spanish 4 teacher was notorious for being extremely strict.  Oh, there be many a nickname for that woman to describe her cruelty.  And I hated foreign language.  I was a great student, and excelled at everything else, but I sucked at foreign language, so that didn't help.  Her class was so infamous, so hated, that the students looked like they were being herded into the Russian Gulag, or a Nazi concentration camp.  It was horrible.  That teacher's entire teaching method revolved around singling students out and doing her best to humiliate them.  Everyone in that class practiced the art of invisibility.  Problem is, when everyone is trying to blend in, then no one does.  Rather than actually teach us, she would basically just select students at random, make them stand up, and then reprimand them and make them explain to the whole class why they didn't do as good a job on the assignment as they could have or something like that.  All in Spanish, of course.  If you didn't know the Spanish, then Hell's fire, Mother Night, and may the Darkness be merciful--you were screwed.  I despised that class so much that I used to refer to that classroom as The House of Blood.  Basically, going in there was like some torture chamber from Hostel or something.  And I didn't learn sh*t in that class.  That was no way to teach.  All it did was make students hate foreign language and dread learning it.

And then there was the stark opposite--my college English class.  It was a small, low-key class, and the teacher was only 5 years older than the students.  If the weather was nice and sunny and warm, he'd blow off class and take us outside to sit on the grass and talk about our favorite TV shows.  Yeah, I didn't learn anything in that class, either, but it sure was fun.

• Brohoof 1

Several times my teachers have called on me when I wasn't expecting it, but they never made me stand up in front of the class or do something like that. They probably just did it to make sure that I was paying attention, since I tend to get distracted easily :P

• Brohoof 1

People tried to single me out constantly until recently. I was always the kid that knew the answer, so teachers said to be more like Casey, and then someone yelled out, "you mean be a total fag?" and then all the students, and the teacher, laughed. 

The badgering got so bad at home and school, that I decided to bring it up to a point where people got awkward and would have to embarrass themselves more than the embarrassment of me would make up for. for example:

"Can anybody tell me what Pavlov's dog is?" inquired Kevvy G. (That's what I call the teacher for the lack of respect.)

"That's where a man named Pavlov took a bell and rang the bell before he fed his dog to the point where the sound of the bell ringing is connected to food." replied Casey, after 90 seconds of silence.

"That's correct. Why can't you be like Casey?"

A voice grumbled in the back, "You mean be a raging faggot?" The classroom filled with laughter, including a chuckle from the teacher.

Casey slammed on the table and yelled, "How dare you call me a faggot I ought to suck your dick for that."

And that's when the detentions came in.

• Brohoof 1

When I was in fourth grade, I learned how to roll my eyes, and I was practicing it in class when my teacher spotted me and thought I was mocking her.  She forced me to stand in the hallway for the remainder of the math lesson, and I promptly began to cry.

I did the same thing when I learned how to slide bases in baseball.  My little league coach yelled at me for sliding every single base going around when I learned how to do it.

There was also an instance in calculus class (another math class!) where my professor directly addressed me to find out if I was playing games on my graphing calculator, which I was.  He didn't really care, though, and just remarked on how far technology has come.

• Brohoof 1

I remember once, in grade school, where we had this stupid class grouping activity where i had to mimic an animal and the class had to guess which animal i was Mimicking. Except somebody rigged it so that i'll try jumping around pretending i'm a frog and everyone else name any other animal but a frog. I caught on when one of the students yelled 'Frog!' by accident and everyone looked at him as he tried to correct himself.

• Brohoof 1

I was a teacher's pet, so I was singled out a lot through my schooling years...I don't know why...maybe it's just because I loved school and learning so much....

Heck, even now, I'm a teacher's pet, but that's because I'm the only girl in my welding program...

• Brohoof 1

Well when I was little there was a friend of mine that was dyslexic. My Italian teacher made up, or misunderstood something I said, and she thought that I was making fun of him. So she made me read a poetry about dyslexia in front of all the class. But I swear, he was my friend, I couldn't be mean to him! 

• Brohoof 1

Of course I have, but every will have been at some time within their lives :) I've had an embarrassing story or two and although it's not funny at the time, you'll look back on it in alter life and have a little chuckle. 

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, this happened to me a lot at school. The reason was always the same, I got singled out for being the teacher's ideal student. Whilst admittedly somewhat flattering, it certainly didn't help when I was getting bullied enough as it was already.

There was one time I fell asleep in class. This when I found out I snore cuz when I was woken up everyone was looking at me, I was drooling and the teacher asked me if I wanted to go to the nurse's office. Someone next to me said I snored and the whoooooole class was staring at me. :lol:

• Brohoof 1