Your (current or future) Career/Job

Anonymous~

I work at RCSS as a cashier. I make about $100 a week. I'm also a student, currently doing my work practicum at the Kamloops branch of BC Transit. I get paid nothing for dong that, sure paid a lot for 6 months of school though. I'm trying to become a Commercial Transport mechanic, by the way.

I'm a student in high school still, but I did hold a babysitting gig before I moved. At my old apartments I took care of a 7 year old kid every Saturday, started at 7:00 am when his mom left for work, got a 40 min. break for lunch when his mom came home to cook his food *they lived in the same complex as me so I could easily go to my place during break for some chow* go back and my gig ended at 5 pm. Roughly 10 hours of fun, video games, a dog, and a pretty nice kid. Oh and my salary $40! We had alot of fun together and frankly I miss babysitting. It's nice when you get an obedient kid who loves to have fun.

I'm still 14 so I can't really get a store job in my area, not until I'm 15. But oh well, come November! :);)

I do not have a job, I currently receive SSI for different problems, which I do not get very much.

Yeah, my life is pretty fucking pointless. You can kinda see why I really want to kill myself at this point. Yay for fear of death I guess.

I do not have a job, I currently receive SSI for different problems, which I do not get very much.

Yeah, my life is pretty fucking pointless. You can kinda see why I really want to kill myself at this point. Yay for fear of death I guess.

Aw that's too bad, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm pretty sure there's something in your life that doesn't make it pointless.

Anyway if you ever wanna chat, I'm right here friend!

(edited)

I work at a company called McLane.  It's a trucking company, I'm the one that goes into the wharehouse and brings the items to the door.  Then someone else loads it up. I've only had the job for 3 weeks now and stressing a little because they expect you to go at a certain speed by the end of your first 90 days, and if you don't make it you lose your job.  I'm at 60% speed right now and I'm running out of ideas on how to go faster.  Luckily I still got 60 days.  The hours are really long, we get over time virtually every day, which is a double edged sword.  On one hand I'm making insane amounts of money on the other hand my week days are pretty much work and sleep.

Edited by Discount_Flunky

(edited)

I just graduated from Hillsdale College this past spring; this summer I'm working two part-time jobs, an internship at Preserve Historic Sleeping Bear (a nonprofit group attached to Sleeping Bear Dunes), and a stocker job at a local grocery store since the internship only pays a limited stipend. Getting good experience with the internship, especially with the work I'm doing to organize this 5K run at the beginning of August, but it can get boring at times, mostly because my only coworker is my supervisor (really small group). The grocery store can sometimes have really long hours, but my coworkers are a pretty fun and friendly bunch. Between the two jobs I've got quite long hours right now. In the fall I'll be back home, maybe work at Best Buy or a local video rental store while I apply for graduate school and some full time jobs either with parks or museums, something that'll get me involved in some work at or with a historical location/objects.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

It may only be a summer job, but it's still a job! I'm working as an educational assistant for my professor. She makes science programs for homeschooled high school students. It's my job to revamp her workshop sections by creating new labs and by testing said labs out to see where improvements can be made. It's great for my career and I'm still able to carouse the forums in my job! It's very relaxing and thought provoking at the same time!

• Brohoof 2

In June of last year I started doing a paper route with my dad, I didn't really like it but it was all I could get really, I barely made anything since we split the pay but I made enough to get myself a few nice things if I saved up a bit. Since the end of May though, my dad has had another job, which has left me unemployed for a little while now, good riddance from that paper route though. I am trying my hardest to look for something else atm though.

• Brohoof 1

Well, at the moment I am unemployed due to leaving the Army. I was a truck driver in the military, working at least 8 hour days, some work periods lasting over 45 hours. I would spend several hours loading my truck to make maximum use of the space in my truck to haul the largest loads possible. One day I could be driving an Light Medium Tactical Vehicle, transporting a squad an infantry somewhere. The next I could be driving a M915 tractor trailer vehicle down state to drop some supplies for a National Guard base. I was an expert driver in my unit, for 2 years of drive time and over 10 thousand miles without incidents. 

post-7721-0-37492900-1373524027_thumb.jpg

Me at the very end of a 12 Mile road march. I'm the beautiful smiling guy.

In my off time I was a volunteer firefighter in one of the departments just outside the base. We had an average of 2 structure fires a month as well as several different types of calls as well. Motor Vehicle Accidents, outside fires, fire/CO2 alarms, and any other kind of miscellaneous events that firefighters and our equipment would be used for. My most memorable emergency alarm I've been on was a police/SWAT assist. Our department was the nearest department nearby with a rescue unit with portable lights as well as a light tower. They were at a standoff with an old Army vet who was suffering from PTSD and hallucinations and started shooting from his house. After the incident was over with, the SWAT team let us look around in their armored van and see and play with some of their toys. The mobile robot they used for negotiations and recon, some camera equipment and other cool toys. They had a truck that was specially designed to put holes in houses and insert SWAT members so they wouldn't have to cross a yard to get inside of a house. 

post-7721-0-47623500-1373524080.jpg

A shot a local news agency got of me on standby with a hoseline. Had it layed out due to fuel on the ground and a still live battery.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I work as a data analyst measuring broadband performance for various big clients around the world (won't give any names tho :P). My main task is to examine the data for any anomalies and identify trends, then writing reports for those clients in ways that are more understandable for those who're less tech savvy. I can easily say this is the best job I've ever had. Telecommunications and IT industry beat finance industry any day of the millennium. My previous jobs were within the latter.

Edited by Freedan

I'm a student still. So no job, i'm old enough i guess technically, but didn't take anything even this summer.

So I guess I don't have a job, besides school.

I actually work as an intern to the university I'm going to this fall. We plan campus events for the students, like "Wiener Takes All"- a free hotdog bbq and hotdog eating contest with a $100 bookstore gift card. We also had a free showing of the "Dark Knight Rises" on Wednesday for "Movie Knight" and gave out free popcorn and cotton candy...We just have a really fun time getting to plan out events for students.

Another bonus, the walls outside the room I work in are compatible for dry erase markers.

I'm currently waiting to start college in the fall. I've been volunteering as a zoo keeper for the past four and a half years now. I was offered a part time job there when I was fifteen, but the stupid laws in my state said that I could only work three hours a week and get paid. I'm really hoping that the job presents itself again this year.

I work for an outpatient care company that operates a number of clinics in several states. I'm one of the IT guys, so the short version of my job is that I fix things when they break either remotely or on-site as necessary, and assist with setting up new centers when we expand. Since I'm fairly new (this is my first week after nearly a year of unemployment) I haven't gotten to do much yet, but I think I'm going to like it there.

• Brohoof 2

I work for a company that makes systems that package and assemble objects with the use of robotic 6 axis arms. I work from

8am - 5pm. I mostly do 3D CADD in SolidWorks, machine parts, wiring, and programing... Sadly I only get paid $10 and hour. We use Epson, Unimates, Pumas, hell even Kawasaki has a robotics branch. These tools have the power to kill a person if struct'd at high speeds. These robots can range from 3 feet tall in home position (where they rest till next job) or 10 feet. These robots cost $$$,$$$.$$.

We recently did a job for hasbro where they changed the design of one of their games again and we had to make an assembler and packaging robot system. Don't ask if we did anything for MLP we haven't gotten a job for that yet lol

tPvNLqA.jpg

We just got this yesterday and I'm 6'3" and this thing is a foot taller then me...

• Brohoof 1

The only job I have is being a high school student. And right now, nothing at all really. Just sitting on my computer, or doing chores.

Hey, as long as you're keeping yourself busy.

Everyone here have some very interesting jobs. For those of you still in school, study hard and get those degree's. It's worth it in the long run.

I mostly do 3D CADD in SolidWorks, machine parts, wiring, and programing

Sounds like fun lol I too have to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours a day. I've used CAD in college but the company that I work for uses Wrightsoft for the type of work it do.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a student  and only 14 so no job for me.. yet. 

Does Homework count as a job? Because I get a lot of that. 

German homework, algebra homework, physics homework, english homework.... :3

It's alot and it's a job for me, honestly. 

I don't have a job. I'm 17 and like everyone in my grade has a job but me. I'll probably go to some sort of tech.school and I'll just get a job at a retail place (Target, Gamestop, whatever is near me) as I don't plan on owning a car (Cars are pricey. Why have one If I don't require one?) I'd like to get a decent paying computer-related job in the future. Until then, I remain jobless.

• Brohoof 1

Man someponys have really cool/ better  jobs.  well i am 25 and work at Publix Super Market 20-30 hours a week makeing 9.25 weekday and 10.25 sundays and holidays + some stock in the company for every 500$ i make.  been there for 5 years and i plan on going to college or trade school to learn something.

• Brohoof 1

My work involves bending sheet metal to be used for siding and roofing... it's about as interesting as it sounds. It's usually 40-45 hours a week, but sometimes I'll be required to work 50 hours weekly in the summer. The pay's not all that great and the work is extremely repetitive.

But, I'm planning to get back into school while I'm getting my welding ticket. So it's not that bad for something in the meantime.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Right now I work at a factory called Exmark Mowers. Wake up at 4:30 every morning take a shower put on my steel toed boots and leave by about 5:20. Start work at 6:00 and hang stuff on the paint line all day long then get off at 2:00. when it's 105 degrees outside it is about 130 in the plant.

We get 2 breaks 1 15 minute break in the morning and a half an hour break at noon.

Hate the job SO much but hey at least it's an honest days work and I do make VERY good money so I really can't complain to much.

So if you ever see a red mower with the word Exmark on it chances are I hung it on the paint line to get painted. ^_^

My work involves bending sheet metal to be used for siding and roofing... it's about as interesting as it sounds. It's usually 40-45 hours a week, but sometimes I'll be required to work 50 hours weekly in the summer. The pay's not all that great and the work is extremely repetitive.

But, I'm planning to get back into school while I'm getting my welding ticket. So it's not that bad for something in the meantime.

Yea be careful getting into the welding field. If you want to get into welding I would recommend the pipe line as some of those guys make BANK. Or possibly under water welding. But if your not careful you'll end up standing in the same spot all day welding the same pieces together for 8-10 hours in a factory for crap pay, coming from experience.

And a lot of those welders on the pipe line never even went to school they started out as a welders helper and from there worked their way up and eventually got the position of a welder.

Edited by buster500
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a University Student, studying Computer Science and I have no idea whatsoever what I want to do as a job when i leave University, I don't want my education to end simply because I don't know what to do afterwards.