Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you automatically do before a fight?

Ninja Derpy

I don't get into fights. I imagine if I did it would be a case of me thinking we're having a calm verbal argument and the other person getting mad and punching me. No time for preparation there.

I never leave home with my taser. Be it school or work, I always bring it with me.

This is what happened after a couple of months ago.

>Tough punk dude @ school gets angry at me

>I don't know why. I don't even know him [i'm an introvert and normally don't talk to people. I just don't like the feel :/]

>approaches and pushes me

>say that I don't want to fight

>He did the first punch

>hurts like hell

>Taser time.

>he goes to clinic while I go to principal's office

>defend myself by telling them that I just know body weak points and never mention anything about the taser

>*this is where reviewing our school's rules and laws pays off*

>get my butt clean, suspend/expel Taser'd guy

1. Check my spell-list, ready my potions

2. Roll initiative.

3. Take at least 70% cover in case of long range weapons and wait for my turn

4. Blast them with all i got

• Brohoof 3

Good point. I will just use a 9-inch long knife I always have in my jacket from now on.This is what you do before a fight. Not what you do in it.

Cool. What kind of knife do you have?

My normal carry is an Osborne 940; it's a axis lock folder with a three and a half inch reverse tanto blade (overall length is just under eight inches) made of S30V steel. It's made by a local company here in Oregon called Benchmade; their knives can be a little dull out of the box, but the quality of the metal used in the blade is such that they're nice and easy to sharpen up after the fact.

With that said, I don't carry it with the intent of using it as a weapon. It's damn helpful at work, or when I'm out camping or boating (I've used it to rescue more than one animal that has been caught in discarded fishing line while out canoeing, for example), as well as in a number of other situations. I don't make a habit of brandishing it around at people, or of flipping it out at the first sign of trouble. Threatening people with a deadly weapon without an extremely good reason is idiotic beyond belief or measure (as the brother and father of one of my friends recently learned, as they're currently in the process of being charged with multiple felonies for doing just that), and a good way to get yourself into a situation that would make having a busted nose look attractive.

With all that said and done, on the extremely slim chance that you are actually being truthful about carrying a nine inch knife around with you... what sort of use does a twelve year old expect to get out of carrying such a thing? Not trying to be mean or anything, but are you going to wave it at a bully at school or something? Do you plan on trying to use it should a random adult stranger attack you on a street?

• Brohoof 1

Good point. I will just use a 9-inch long knife I always have in my jacket from now on.

Is it a nine inch blade? Because keeping that in a jacket would be cumbersome and anyone seeing you reach into your jacket prior to a fight would have you on the ground before you could make use of such an overly large blade.

• Brohoof 1

1. Check my spell-list, ready my potions

2. Roll initiative.

3. Take at least 70% cover in case of long range weapons and wait for my turn

4. Blast them with all i got

If you're 9th level or above, you could blast them with five d4+1 using magic missle! #nerd

But in all seriousness, I'd grab some sticks and dole out the beatings, eskrima style. And in all non-seriousness, I'd take off my pants and confuse the hell out of everyone involved.

(edited)

Run and Hide

walk up to them, show them I'm not afraid, and occasionally give them the seriousness face

but I haven't gotten into fights recently xD

Edited by Pinkazoid

Is it a nine inch blade? Because keeping that in a jacket would be cumbersome and anyone seeing you reach into your jacket prior to a fight would have you on the ground before you could make use of such an overly large blade.

Not if they are far away....

I get into the proper position, amazing I know.

You guys with knifes and guns here better not pull out one in the middle of a fist fight, very disrespectful.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I get into the proper position, amazing I know.

You guys with knifes and guns here better not pull out one in the middle of a fist fight, very disrespectful.

Good point. I guess I should just try and maneuver my way around the guy and study the weak points. Edited by Ninja Derpy

• 2 years later...

I observe my surroundings, trying to gain an advantage over defense more than attack. Depends on if I'm encountered by a group or just a single individual. I think of Bruce Lee a lot in any heated moment, I think about what he would do, which would probably be along the lines of avoiding the fight altogether. If I should fight to defend myself, I would recall my experience in learning JKD (Jeet Kune Do), which I haven't learned much but it's still valuable to me. I would remember what I read in books about the martial art, the stances and maneuvers like keeping your dominate hand in front and using your less dominate foot to push and gain momentum into striking with the dominate hand, which causes power. I would try to use my legs to kick them at any opening I could see, trying to end it as quickly as possible. Also, if the person has a weapon or obtains one, then of course my objective would be to get it away from them by disarming techniques or simply giving it a quick-kick out of their hands.

Yeah I kinda went on a roll there. 

• Brohoof 1

I fight back. Mostly because nowadays, I'm sick of people thinking I'm weak or can't stand up for myself. I won't let anyone walk all over me any longer either. I'm not afraid to drop someone out of my life for trying to start shit. However, if things get to rough for me... I will walk away. I do have those moments where I feel like fighting with a person isn't really worth it. However, if it was a physical fight... I'd walk away. Like, no thank you. Violence never solves anything.

Edited by AdorbzFangirl

I only fight when i'm angry, really angry. This happened a lot during my school days, but nowadays nearly never.

While detrimental to fighting in some cases, i actually focus on whatever makes me mad and extrapolate even further anger from that. I can almost feel the blood boiling in my veins when i'm lashing out at an opponent. Most physical movesets and self-defense lessons iv'e taken in the past have been absorbed into the back of my mind, so i just act on them with instinct and fervor rather than a clear-cut strategy. The brute mentality behind getting angry for me, is that if i'm willing to put this much passion into a fight, then i'll be able to suppress some of the pains, fears and regrets before the fight is over.

Wish I could say I was as cool, calm, and collected as the OP.

I tense up, lower into a fighting stance, and stare directly into my foe's eyes. This has had the effect of unnerving some, but that's less the intention than trying to read them. You can see a man's intent of attack in his eyes. 

I get into the proper position, amazing I know. You guys with knifes and guns here better not pull out one in the middle of a fist fight, very disrespectful.

True, but if they pull either one, than using your own weapon would be appropriate. Meet escalating force with escalating force.

Kunoichi, that's somewhat strange. There's no need to always walk around with improvised weaponry. When I think spray paint, I think graffiti or substance abuse... and not makeshift flamethrower. I have a five pound bag of coins I'm exchanging today, should I consider their viability as a weapon á la FFV's Gil Toss? While I'd be admittedly OP throwing that cash money at people, it's not the first thing that comes to mind.

Ooh, not to mention that I neglect you've tried this. It's really easy to smack something like that out of your hands before you get the flame out or even aim it.

You'd rather him carry something for the use of vandalism or substance abuse rather than for the purpose of self defense?

wow you guys seem to get in an awful lot of fights considering you are bronies. I personally try to keep myself out of any discussion and fights, I consider myself a pacifist, and really havent been in a fight since sixth grade

Just because we're bronies, and try to seek the path of peace, doesn't mean we will just lay down and be taken advantage of those on the warpath.

I'm still taking TKD. :)

Amen to Boromir's statement there.

Kenpo Karate, German Longsword, Tai Chi, Aikido, and O-Mei Wushu are the styles I've had experience with.

I got into several but i really have a faint memory of them, and i really never got into any at school itself, i really don't know if people found me imitating or not a threat at all

Most of them were play fights with my big brother  :P

and i remember i fight a girl in the 5th grade (i was in the 3rd grade), if i know im going to get into a fight, i tense up and keep calm and analyze but if you don't keep your eye on me, i can strike as quick as a black mamba in any moment  >_>

Edited by Amourie

I rarely ever get into fights, but when I do...

I think about, if a guy, the best way to be able to kick them in de nutz, and if a girl, the best way to bite them.

Of corse by then I would be fueled by rage if I was about to be in a fight, so it wouldn't work anyways.

I rarely ever get into fights, but when I do...

I think about, if a guy, the best way to be able to kick them in de nutz, and if a girl, the best way to bite them.

Of corse by then I would be fueled by rage if I was about to be in a fight, so it wouldn't work anyways.

Particularly because both of those have very easy defenses against.

For the former, pivot to the side and side kick the ribs, or if you're feeling confident you could catch the kick in your hand and follow up with a cross punch.

For the latter . . . it's a bite! One sock to the open mouth and the attacker is eating their own teeth.

• 3 weeks later...

I shout, "HOLY S***, LOOK AT THAT!"  And point in a very exaggerated but still somehow convincing manner.  Obviously my would-be opponent looks in the direction of my dramatic pointing, and I'm long gone by the time they look my way again.

So you wouldn't take the opportunity to land a haymaker on your opponent when he's looking away? (Back to the Future style.) I mean, it's a sucker punch and I find such distasteful, but if he's already dumb enough to fall for that and means to hurt you . . .

Second of all, what would you then do if he just sneered and said, "you've got to be kidding me." Becoming more offended at the implication that you believe them stupid and thus more dead set on hurting you. What then?

(Besides, the better thing to say would be "Shit, it's the cops!" and THEN run.)

• 3 years later...