Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming saddest video game moments to you

TheScarfedOne

Emmeryn's 'death' in Fire Emblem Awakening. It made me really feel for Chrom :(

I also felt bad for zant when he figured out that Ganondorf was just using him... (Twilight Princess)

Edited by Diamondeye83

Let's be honest, this guy makes us all have the feels if you know his story: thrown out of his kingdom, alone, finds out his wife died, and then his daughter is forced to kill him ;-; 

post-12867-0-39613200-1389330727.jpg

• Brohoof 1

The ending to Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. That just gets me every time. You spend the entire game, which depending on how good you are, can be between 8 hours or 20+ hours, getting to know the characters and becoming attached to them, but then that ending. 10 minutes of depression, sadness and feels.

Let's be honest, this guy makes us all have the feels if you know his story: thrown out of his kingdom, alone, finds out his wife died, and then his daughter is forced to kill him ;-; 

And ontop of all that, he's the nicest person you meet throughout the entire game and always seems to be trying his best. We will never forget you Siegmeyer of Catarina.

Arnhem Knights from Medal of Honor: Frontlines to me had some of the saddest moments in a video game. It was difficult to save as many British paras as I wanted, and when they fell my heart would sink, plus the soundtrack for this level was powerful, Michael Giacchino did a fantastic job composing, I also experienced mood swings, I would get angry at the Germans for killing a para, then I would go on a rampage, after that I would get dour for killing the German soldiers or losing another British para. To me Arnhem Knights gave me a different point of view no first person shooter game gave me at the time, what a soldier could experience from sight and sound, then from an emotional perspective, as we get a chance to feel how hard a combat experience could be, and to feel what a soldier might feel whether current or former, so Arnhem Knights will always remain to me the saddest and most powerful moment I ever had in a video game.     

Edited by Emperor Peter
  • Brohoof 1

When I accidentally killed Lydia in Skyrim. lol

The other two are sort of story spoilers so...

Metal Gear Solid  3

When THE BOSS died in MGS 3.

Farcry 3

Farcry 3 when or if you kill your friends 

Edited by Onylex

... it made me cry... 

Ah, In the "Last Of Us" when the fathers... ahh daughter gets shot... and its right at the start of the game to.. I had to stop playing and sit there for a moment. 

Ah. When Dom Die's in Gears of War 3... I disliked that part a great deal.. because I know how Marches Feels..

• Brohoof 1

Saddest games moments...

The ending of FF-X just freaking killed me in how it ends with Tidus and Yuna.

The ending of Zelda  OOT,  when he just gets sent back like that after all

he did for such. Now as a Kid he has to live with all those memories and such...

Star Fox,  when i beat the game....

Since this could contain spoilers, I'll mention the game and then spoiler the sad moment

Final Fantasy 4

So many people died in this game. And if they didn't die, I was always kind of upset when I was under the impression that someone had died. The major loss came at the end when Tellah cast Meteor and pretty much sacrificed himself for the greater good. What a trouper. Salute that man.

Super Paper Mario

Just the whole climax and resolution of the story was both sad and happy for me. My thoughts of Bleck were thrown askew with the way the story was turning out. A kind of twist that was hinted at through the whole game, but i just didn't really see until he starts begging for his own death to save the universe. After the way the game ended, I was content with it. It was so amazing, but I just can't ever play the game again.

Zelda - Twilight Princess

Midna. At first, she was kinda snooty and bossy, but as I kept going, I couldn't help but to fall in love with this strangely cute character. As her bond with Link strengthened throughout the game, it also strengthens with the player. When she has to leave, it's something you expected all along, but never wanted to happen. And when it did happen, it was far too soon

Grand Theft Auto IV

For a game centered around a guy who turns into a pretty cold blooded killer, GTA IV actually showed plenty of emotion. Niko Bellic is, by far, my favorite GTA character so far (until there's a PC release of GTA V, I can't say anything for that one). So when it comes to the final mission and either Kate or Ramon die, it's not a moment that makes me cry, but it's something that legitimately pissed me off. The worst part about it is that if you want to finish the game, one of them has to die, and you don't want either one of them to die! I played both endings. Either way, the end of the game is very satisfying. But with Kate or Roman dead, I just went the way I did with Super Paper Mario. I can't really play it the same way anymore.

Anyway, that's just from the ones I've played that just came to mind. I'm sure there are tons of other sad moments in games that I haven't played yet. 

• Brohoof 2

The only game that has ever made me cry was Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness at the end of the main story. Not only do you end up losing the person who was your best friend that you couldn't remember, but then you fix time and start to disappear yourself as you're walking with your partner, staying strong for him and knowing what's happening to you and then saying a final goodbye as you disappear in front of him into a bunch of bubbles of light.

• Brohoof 3

It's actually possible for Siegmeyer to have a happy ending with his daughter still alive, though it is quite difficult. If you follow his quest and story through to the end and find him in Lost Izalith, follow him down into the pit to battle the 4 tentacle beasts and if he makes it out of there without losing more than what is I believe 20% of his health he and his daughter will both survive in the end. Don't do what I did and accidentally plunge attack him in a misguided attempt to save him.

More Dark Souls Moments:

Following on the Dark Souls theme, I also find that Queelag's sister has a terribly sad story, as well as that of Great Grey Wolf Sif (especially when you get the special cinematic before fighting him if you saved him in the DLC first). It's horribly sad to kill the proud guy when all he's doing is protecting his master's treasure and honor. And, of course, there's the time you undoubtedly stumble across Knight Solaire in Lost Izalith having not killed the bugs and must fight his hollow form after all of the help he has offered you before. Having to kill him made me more sad than anything else in the game, I'd say.

As for other games, there is of course the Walking Dead Season 1, though there are several moments I found as sad as, if not sadder than, the ending.

- When Kenny loses Katja and Duck at the same time and you have to decide whether to let him kill his son or not.

- When Lilly loses her head and shoots Carly in a heated argument.

- When Benjamin, after so long dragging everyone down, ultimately sacrifices himself for your survival.

I'm sure there are plenty more sad moments, but I'll list them later as I think of them.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Final Fantasy XIII (13). Specifically the end of Nautilus Park.

--Spoiler Alert--

Sazh, on the run from the police, gets a surprised to find his son, Dajh. However, just as they get done hugging, Dajh completes his focus and turns into crystal. In strolls Jill Nabaat, explaining that his son was meant to find Pulse l'Cie. Then she reveals that Vanille, your partner, is pretty much the entire reason his son was cursed as a l'Cie, and in a roundabout way why Sazh and all your other temporarily missing party members are. This is especially painful as the entire chapter, Vanille was trying to explain this to him but couldn't bring herself to do it. But it doesn't end there. Vanille flees into a clocktower only to be meet by a dead end and a figment of her imagination telling her to confess and let it end already. When Sazh comes up to confront her, she plees for him to kill her. But Sazh knows that won't help anything. Vanille begs for him to say how she can atone to which he replies that he doesn't know. Sazh's indecision on what to do with Vanille and what to do with himself causes his Eidolon Brynhildr to appear, but Sazh won't let it kill Vanille. One tough boss battle later, Sazh decides that he can't kill the girl. So instead, unable to live with all this, he turns his gun on himself and commits suicide.

--Spoilers End--

Those cutscenes remain some of the most emotional scenes I have seen. I would easily put them as one of my top dramatic moments on a list I don't have anything else for. So much emotion.

When EA butchered the gaming industry and closed companies since the 90's.

Some bit of correction there.

I still don't like...and well...it makes a knot in my throat everytime I see the Russian veteran, Mikhail in Resident Evil 3, sacrifice himself. He played a minor role, but he won my heart.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

THE COMPANION CUBBEEEEEEEE WHYYYY?!!!?!??!?!?!!?!?!?

lol no. but seriously - no one's mentioned Drawn To Life? Saddest game ever. The second one is a mind-flipper. . .XD

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team was also a tear-jerker. The other Rescue series/Explorers are tearers as well. . . But I remember tearing up at the first one I beat - Blue Rescue Team. Also, I think I remember a little bit of hmm some Mario Games? Cant remember which but they had some tearjerkers. Like IDK but I was young then.