Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like tradition?

Akemi Homura

I am diametrically opposed to entire concept of traditions.  I believe the concept is inherently harmful and can prevent clear thinking and progress.  There's nothing wrong with following innocuous traditions, but one should always have a valid, logical reason for what they do.  Simply, "because it's fun" is a perfectly fine reason for certain things, but doing something just because it's tradition, or just because it's the way we've always done it, and for no other reason, is a terrible reason for doing anything.

On 5/20/2018 at 2:57 PM, Dreambiscuit said:

I embrace tradition. One can't look forward without understanding the past, and traditions help us to understand the past. In matters of religion, what has been considered normal for thousands of years is only considered extremist now because there's so little understanding of it. Embracing tradition might have helped in that case. Traditions help us see through the eyes of those who have gone before us and the wisdom they've accumulated. To ignore that would be a waste of treasures we can never replace. 

The best response in this entire thread as I very much identify in the same way as @Dreambiscuit does. 

I treasure and honor tradition and I always seek to further understand it. I respect it. Do I follow every ounce of tradition? Probably not, but I don't directly dishonor it nor do I disrespect or spit on it, even if I may disagree with it. 

There are some traditional ways I live by and others I don't, simple as that really. 

I think some traditions are important while some can just go.  I sometimes find learning traditions empowering especially trying to get reacquainted with my heritage.  It's mostly up to the individual whether or not traditions are important to them or they can always make their own if need be. 

• 4 months later...

I like tradition because keeping it shows that you honor what your ancestor has worked hard for to keep it alive. It cringe me when someone tries to ruin it. 

• 8 months later...

As long as the traditions are fun and don’t harm anyone, I love them! For example, I make a huge batch of Pizzelles with my grandma every year before Christmas. A very nice tradition to have. :squee:

Depends on the kind of tradition! I always use to love going shooting on the farm with my dad, I guess that could be considered a tradition so then yes in that sense I very much do appreciate tradition. 

• Brohoof 3