Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like tradition?

Akemi Homura

I personally dislike tradition.

IMO, it keeps generations of families from moving forward.

For example, some families take religion to a level where you can consider them as extremist, also known as extreme right wingers (this isn't picking on religion in any way BTW, I just gave an example).

And some families have the mindset that their children MUST marry people from their own race... which leads to arranged marriages, and such. Don't like this example at all.

What do you think?

• Brohoof 4

That's really dependent for me. It's not something I can say "yes" or "no" on. Some traditions, I feel, are important to keep. Cultural traditions and the like. Something that preserves a piece of cultural identity for a form of native art or something like that. I suppose the same goes for family traditions. Maybe not so much the kind like the arranged marriages. I personally don't agree with that one. But it's also one of things where it isn't my place to say, personally. In terms of what they can and can't do.

So I guess the tl;dr version is that it's simply circumstantial for me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't care for them, but some aren't so bad.

What I can't stand though is when you're berated for not following a tradition. I do try to respect traditions, but just because something is a tradition doesn't mean you have to participate, as something simply being a tradition isn't reason enough to force someone into participation.

Edited by RagingTwilight
  • Brohoof 1

He is how I see it.

I will look to tradition for suggestions, but I will never make myself bound by tradition.

I will go with whatever works, regardless of if it's tradition or not.

It depends on the kind of tradition.

It's tradition to give lots of presents at Christmas, where I hear others get only one.That's the kind of tradition that goes over well.

However forcing jobs, educations, sports, religious views, political views because it is the tradition and the whole family does it is wrong.

For example, I was baptized because of tradition, I resent that and feel it was actually a violation on my person, I understand it was done out of tradition, but won't force this on my children.

• Brohoof 1

Well, in my family we don't have other real traditions than meet ups and stuff like going on a trip at summer and visiting our summerhouse. So in my family's case I would say that, yes I like tradition but when it comes to stuff like religion, occupation, politics and arranged marriages I strongly disapprove of them. I generally don't like the though of people being forced into doing something that they haven't decided themselves.

Annoying...

Every Holiday I sit around listening to some monstrously obese kids drone on and on about random and/or stupid traditions...

Cool, you open a present on Christmas Eve just like half the other people I talk to... Now you have one less present Christmas Day...

Not just annoying...But also traditions destroy originality. Eventually the traditions spread and soon enough everyone is doing it. No-Shave-Vember, Rainy-Day Jar, Swear Jar, or even that early present thing before the <p> tag. Creativity is always the start of unoriginality and mimics. Imitation may be said to be the most sincere form of flattery, but it is also the most obnoxious.

Honestly, I don't care about anyone's traditions as long they do not affect me. As long as they keep their silly little traditions to themselves, I will keep my silly little traditions to myself. In the words of the Duchess (yeah, I am reading a book!) "If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does."

Traditions is something that you must follow in Argentina, which i am disagree but if you don't follow the traditions you can get into trouble, like in a fight.

For example: Pass the salt from hand to hand = Get screamed and punched.

I know right?

A tradition that goes in the community I live in is that one has to marry by a certain age or be disowned, so I got that going for me. The problem is that with the current generation that's just not feasible, hell I don't blame them since the region is changing.

Depends on the tradition you're talking about.

For example, one where the whole family gets together on New Year's Eve isn't bad.

However, if a tradition would be something like having to marry a very close family friend, then that'd be wrong. That'd be being extreme.

Tradition is for the ones who think keeping up with the times is bad, come on, move forward in this great era of common sense and thinking!

Some traditions are OK, but I prefer to try what works for me.

Relevant Qoutes:

As soon as tradition has come to be recognized as tradition, it is dead.

-Allan Bloom

For God's sake build not your faith upon Tradition, 'tis as rotten as a rotten Post.

-Nichola Culpeper

Free yourself from the rigid conduct of tradition and open yourself to the new forms of probability.

-Hans Bender

My family isn't really about tradition. We have the Christmas get togethers and the New Year Eve parties, but that's about it. And honestly, I love the whole New Years thing. All I can think about when I hear that holiday is 'party'. I'm usually shocked when I hear people saying that they don't do anything on New Years. I even had a house party this year to make sure everyone had something on New Years! XD

I like fun traditions because most people usually like following them anyways and if not i think its best not to try to impose. putting yourself in their shoes would be nice. for example; i was in marching band once and when you first start off if your the most improved newbie you get to pie the leader in the face sometime after. I don't know about you but pie to the face is always awesome in my books :)

I don't mind going along with most traditions, but this really is a circumstantial question that relies heavily on scenarios. If a tradition is simply irrational and over the top of course I wouldn't follow it.

Some traditions are good enough to be kept indefinitely, like being respectful to the elders, always return to your home at a certain holiday when you're working overseas, or giving your younger relatives few cash at the said holiday.

But some others, especially the religion related ones, are just obviously meant to be expired ages ago. Thanks to all those ambiguous tradition, now I'm a baptized santri who once blessed by a Buddhist monk. Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

I embrace tradition. One can't look forward without understanding the past, and traditions help us to understand the past. In matters of religion, what has been considered normal for thousands of years is only considered extremist now because there's so little understanding of it. Embracing tradition might have helped in that case. Traditions help us see through the eyes of those who have gone before us and the wisdom they've accumulated. To ignore that would be a waste of treasures we can never replace. 

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...