Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Had To Call 911, 999, or your country's assigned emergency service number?

Venomous

Well, no, I've never called 911 before, but there was this one time I was at tennis class and there was a man somewhere down by the river that's near the tennis court, and he was cussing; probably drunk or something. My teacher called the police.

We did joke a little bit about 911 though; my friends and I were making a video at my birthday party. The video was called something like "Attack of the Pillow Pet", and my sister's unicorn pillow pet would go around attacking people. I was the camera person and had to fall on the floor pointing the camera at my (dead) face. So my friend's character would pull out a toy Dora the Explorer phone and declare that she was calling 911; after looking at the phone she'd ask, "What's the number for 911?" It was fun.

here in Italy is 118 XD yep one time when a guy near me had an heart stroke.. normal routine for me since i am a paramedic ahah XD XD, they usually call ME XD XD

• Brohoof 1

Twice.

One time, my cousin and I (we were 8 years old) were upstairs at her house beside her M&Ms house phone. I thought it was fake because...well, it was made by a food company and it had the candy inside it. So I told my cousin that I was going to call 911 to see if the phone was fake. I was wrong. A dispatcher(I don't if I spelled it correctly) called back and my aunt had to pay a fine for doing a "prank call".  :huh:

The second time was painful for me...

I had a sleepover with my friend. At midnight, a shooting started at my apartment complex. I told my friend and her parents. Someone just got shot in the head. (His name was Ashton Foxx) My friend's mom was a medic once so she tried to help him. She was the first to help him, everyone else was just bystanding or panicking. I called 911 while looking out the window. Then the shooter found me and shot me on my arm. But the police and ambulance arrived,  the police arrested whatshisname, and the ambulance took me and Ashton to the hosptal. Next day, I heard that Ashton passed away. The news (News 11, WRAL News, etc.) reported what happened.

It was sad and my friend, her parents, and I went to his funeral with a special thanks and honor. :(

(Sorry for telling the whole story. I know it was probably unimportant.)

Like Doc said, I'm used to dealing with 911. If you call 911, I'm the one that shows up!

As for me calling it, yes I've done it once. Before I became an EMT, I was a manger at a Domino's. There was a burning smell inside the store and I couldn't figure out what it was. It got so strong that my driver and I could hardly breathe and I called 911. Turns out an electrical outlet hidden behind some boxes shorted out and caught on fire. So yeah, I got to go home early!

Edited by FMStorm
  • Brohoof 3

I've had to a few times. Most recently when I walked into a robbery in progress at a convenience store. I won't forget that muffled sound of shotgun blasts coming from inside the building. Dumbass thugs tried to open the atm with a 12 guage lol. Thankfully the cashier was ok and told me all about it the next day and hooked me up with a coffee for being the guy that spooked the thugs and called 911. They were caught that same night.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes when I was about 13 I caught my kitchen on fire by mircrowaving a chinese take out box & walking out of the room for about 5 minutes. Yes the whole half of the kitchen was in flames. I called 911. My parents were really pissed.

• Brohoof 1

A few times.

The earliest time I remember doing so, I was 12 and my parents were fighting.  I won't get into that.

More recently, I've called 911 a few times to report drunk drivers, especially after one very nearly crashed into me (the only reason he didn't was because I saw him coming and had enough room to get out of the way.)

Also called 911 once when I witnessed a rollover accident.  Thankfully, nobody was hurt, but the rolled-over car ended up on its roof and was totaled.  The driver was shaken, but she probably escaped serious harm by being one of the shortest drivers I've ever seen.

Nobody ever wants to have to call 911 for anything, but it's good to know that it's there.

I have. I was umm....little I guess, and in the public radio, and saw a payphone (with my knowledge, assuming every number needed money) so I just typed 911, not knowing it was free. A lady answered, and I got scared so I hung up. Then the librarian reported there was a 911 hang up in this location did we know anything? I was little so I was scared, but I told my dad, and he explained it, and all was good. But then I thought the cops would sertainly come after me. But they never did. Hehe.

Then when I got home I was in a coloring book, and it said "did you know that you don't have to pay to dile 911?"

That was something I would have liked to know earlier.

• Brohoof 1

No... But around a couple of years ago I would sometimes fall asleep with my phone on my bed, and somehow ended up rolling over on my phone and it dialed an emergency line... A couple of times. >.< And then they ended up calling me back and leaving a message wondering what was going on. it was incredibly embarrassing, because it probably looked like my phone was prank calling them, but it was just an accident.

I will never sleep with my phone on my bed ever again. lol. Although my phone was different back then, nw with an iPhone, I'd probably just crush it instead of dialing an emergency line. xD

Yeah, someone (I won't say who) had a loaded shotgun in my face and asked if I was ready to "meet my maker"

So, yes. I had to.

I have plenty of times, but the most crazy one is when I got robbed.

I was working at Pizza Hut at the time, I was a server and we had just closed for the night, I ducked outside to have a quick smoke, and as I was standing there I notice a guy in a mask come into the store...holding a gun!

I guess maybe it was the light glare on the window but he didn't see me at all, he forced my co-workers into the cooler at gun point. as soon as he was out of sight I ran as fast as I could across the street to a burger joint and called the cops.

they never did catch the guy, but damm what a super crazy night that was! 

Have you ever had to dial 911 or 999? (Or whatever you emergency number is).

I've only had to call 911 once.

I was 14 and a man kept asking me to get into his car.

He offered "A good time and ice cream".

I wasn't an idiot at that age surprisingly, so I ran off and dialed 911.

This is what your story reminded me of, although I'm glad you're okay and you had common sense.

post-9921-0-30839900-1395218846_thumb.png

Well here in Australia, emergency services is 000.

And yes - well, not me personally, but I've been there when they had to be called.

• My brother rode a bike into wall when going fast. Had to get an ambulance.
  • Drunk people (won't mention who) were fighting, a life was almost ended that night. Police were called.

Of course, but only I in dire situations.

A few years ago, my Uncle had a heart attack in the back yard in the middle of a terrible thunderstorm.

Thunder cracking so loud it literally made my ears ring.

My other Uncle called 911 before this, but I was told to call and make sure they were hurrying.

I told them "they had better be hauling some serious ass", which I thought was kind of funny. But then was not the time to kid around.

• 4 years later...