Do You Touch Type or Hunt and Peck?

camsterman101

Woohoo, poll time!  

25 users have voted

1. 1. How do you type?

• Touch type
    • Hunt and peck

Hello there!

Technology has become such a big part of our everyday life these days, A lot of us do not even know how to type though!

(If you don't, that is totally fine! :) )

The question is: Do you know how to type, Or do you just look down on "Chicken Peck" the keyboard?

Leave your answer below!

post-24743-0-95582500-1392781056_thumb.png

Edited by Aquila
Added poll
  • Brohoof 2

I learned how to type with extreme efficiency in a computer apps class a while ago.  I basically have the layout of a keyboard memorized at this point, and my top recorded speed is ~80 gross words a minute.  My days of being a Scootaloo are far behind me.

I can type freely if there is a light. Even if I don't look at my keyboard, I feel much more disoriented when I can't see the movements of my hands. Although, I do make small mistakes that I've adapted to correct quickly when I type. And, along with that, I sometimes type things that make no sense when read aloud, but I don't realize when I type this quickly.

My typing isn't perfect, but I definitely don't "Chicken Peck" the keyboard.

• Brohoof 1

I don't type the normal QWERTY proper way, but I don't chicken peck either. I have typed so long I don't look down at the keyboard often, but I don't type the proper way. I just know where the keys are and the last time I checked I type about 40-50 words per minute.

• Brohoof 1

I know how to type well, even if I don't use that "home row" crap...I hated using it way back when I was in school. I never needed it either, and I type really bloody fast.

• Brohoof 2

I do this weird sort of rapidfire peck typing. I know where all the keys are by memory and everything, but never really learned the proper typing form. I'd like to someday though. I imagine it'd let me hammer out papers way quicker and make less dumb errors to boot.

• Brohoof 6

I learned how to type because of my desk, I couldn't see the keyboard so I had to memorize the letters and where they're at, so now I don't need to look at them, kinda weird too I must admit I sometimes wonder how I do it :P

I also sometimes get asked how I type so fast, not even I know

Edited by Treecut

I'm a touch typist, for the most of the keys on the keyboard.  The only time i have to look at the keys are if I have to type any numbers.  i use those so seldom I've not gotten those into kinetic memory, I think it would be called.    My speed was awful at first.  it has gotten better over the years from typing.  No idea what my speed is currently. 

I think you guys are missing what a chicken peck is... At least, I think so.

Chicken peck is when you're new to that proper keyboarding business and you don't know how to type properly. So instead, use you one finger for one key at a time. That, I think is what chicken peck is... Right? :P

Anyways, I know how to type properly. :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't really know how to describe my method of typing; I don't use the home rows or anything, I just kind of hover my hands over the keyboard and know where everything is from memory. I learned the proper way to type back in high school, but it just wasn't very comfortable to me. Now, the only fingers I don't really use are my pinkies, everything else is typing away. It's worked out for me pretty well. 

Edited by Sabrinie
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, I know how to type properly. Learned at an early age thanks to this one typing program my elementary school offered. It taught us how to touch type, and it really helped. I've used computers all my life, so I've gotten pretty fast and accurate over the years :P

• Brohoof 1

Nope, I never chicken peck. I am a very skilled typist. I type faster than most peoples and looking off to the side or closing my eyes doesn't effect my speed or anything either :DD I do make a couple mistakes here and there but I can type even as much as this with complete accuracy and in only seconds d: 

Touch type, as when I went to high school computers were just being introduced into the classroom. You had to take a year of typing before you could take computers, believe it or not. I used to be able to do stenograph typing as well, but it's been decades since I've done that, so I doubt I could make it work anymore.

Just for because it's funny, and vaguely related to typing, I'll tell you my first 'real' job was transferring data from punched cards to punch tape and visa-versa for a payroll system at a Texaco oil refinery. The actual payroll accounting system was on a minicomputer that was programmed via punch tape, but the regular accounting system that cut the cheques was on some heavy iron that would only accept punch cards. I'm not *that* old, it's just the oil industry is usually about ten-twenty years behind in technology at any given point in time. :)

• Brohoof 2

I use my pointer finger the most. I just now realized that, too. I usually will rarely, use my pinkie or my middle finger. Sometimes, my ring finger, but mostly my pointer finger. I type very, very fast, too. All the teachers at my school get angry at me and say "THAT'S NOT HOW YOU TYPE!" and I'm just like "This is how I type." I can't type the "proper way." It slows me down. Anyways, no, I don't "chicken peck" the keyboard. I've been typing since I was 6, and I'm 14, now, so I'm very efficient at typing while looking off the screen or at the screen.

Edited by lazyfireball7889
  • Brohoof 1