Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did Bronies get lumped into the "nice guy" neckbeard stereotype?

Grumpy Enchantress

(edited)

"Nice guy" is a term that to my understanding is supposed to refer to guys who only act "nice" so they can get laid and get pissed when they don't. 

So now your insulting the fandom in whole?

Mostly everyone on this fandom acts "nice"

If we weren't "nice" bronies would be no more than the trolls crawling on 4chan

oh come on, you can count how many bronies will respect your opinion

Edited by TheChosenPony

(edited)

I think Enchantress means that there are nice guys and "nice guys". Nice guys are just genuinely good dudes. "Nice Guys" are afraid to tell a girl their feelings, so they deceive them, pretend to be their friend, and then out of the blue ask them out. When they are told that they should stay friends, they throw it back in the girls face and whine they were "friendzoned", which isn't a very nice thing to do at all to a girl who just said she wants to keep being thier friend, despite thier deception.

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 3

Uh, you read what I said right? I'm not talking about generally nice people I'm talking about the stereotype of the term "nice guy" for people who only act nice to get laid, it's not exclusive to the Brony community and what I was actually questioning in the thread is why it's associated with it now.

(edited)

Uh, you read what I said right? I'm not talking about generally nice people I'm talking about the stereotype of the term "nice guy" for people who only act nice to get laid, it's not exclusive to the Brony community and what I was actually questioning in the thread is why it's associated with it now.

You were quoting to somebody who was a brony, thats why I got offended, sorry for my misunderstanding

I didn't know you meant those people in general

Edited by TheChosenPony
  • Brohoof 1

I know I'm a really nice guy (been told many times, even called a teddy bear), but I'm not afraid to go asshole on people if need be. And when I go asshole, I really push the limits lol.

• Brohoof 1

"Nice guy" is a term that to my understanding is supposed to refer to guys who only act "nice" so they can get laid and get pissed when they don't.

Not the best of resources to use from the internet but here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nice%20guy

A few from that page.

The whole ‘nice guy’ phenomenon really supports the idea that people primarily care about physical appearances and that shrewdness, selfishness and narcissism will always triumph over compassion, rapport and “inner beauty.”

A man who you can call late at night just because you're looking for someone to talk to. He would never speak ill of anyone, never harm a person unless absolutely necessary, never cheat and is always honest. Will help you move just because you're friends and doesn't ask for favors in return. Isn't sleazy and wouldn't take advantage of a person in a drunken or mourning state.

Often times, this nice guy doesn't have a girlfriend because women usually go for jerks and just make friends with the nice guy.

A male who can't get a girlfriend, never mind get laid, because he DOESN'T treat women like sh...

In my case I "ended up with the girl" because I was the "nice guy" and the other guy was a "jerk'.  She saw this and was smart enough not to fall for the guy that just wanted to get in her pants.

Nice Guys do win.  We just have to be patient about it and maybe a bit more social.

• Brohoof 1

About the "nice" comment in the pictures:

It's there for a reason. Why? Because it's basically common knowledge that not only is it men who title themselves as "nice guys" (in the sense of "nice guys finish last" with women) but there is also something really important to remember:

If you have to tell other people you're nice? You're probably not a nice guy.

Men who complain that they are "friendzoned" (which is not even a real thing) always pull the, "women don't like nice guys, they only like douche bags" bit.

So the whole "I'm nice" comment is likely supposed to represent that sexist attitude a lot of extremely vocal bronies have, unfortunately.

To be honest, People with neckbeards are particularly more fun to be with.

Markus Persson, Creator of Minecraft has a neckbeard

img-2360643-1-150px-Notch3.jpg

That's technically not a neck beard X3 a neck beard encompasses specifically the neck only. He has hair above his jawline and over his lips so it's not a neck beard :P

• Brohoof 1

They have that stereoptype because it's certainly not uncommon to see bronies like that. Especially some of the first ones. I've see that stereoptype fulfilled on several occasions.

What haters think a prototype brony looks like

img-2360467-1-402831__safe_pinkie%20pie_

What most bronies actually look like

img-2360602-2-Brony_meetup.jpg

What the prototype brony actually looks like

metal-gear-solid-5-cinematic-opening-wit

Conclusion: I don't know where the haters got those stereotypes...

• Brohoof 2

Before becoming a voyeur of this fandom. That's right I don't consider myself part of the fandom because a lit of the people in it..well that's another topic. Point is I only ever came across the 'nice guy' thing through the fandom. I think that's simply because of the association the fandom has with tumblr scum and social justice douschebags. In any case pretending like getting laid isn't on your mind is a lie. The only difference is some people like myself are actually sensitive and caring towards others at the same time.

I like the NRA sign in the background! :3

And, ugh...I actually have a neck beard if I don't shave for a while (cannot grow a full one yet!)

What the heck is up with the second image?? Libertarians are NOT the same as Republicans! Libertarians are socially liberal, and thus in favor of gender, racial, and sexuality equality! 

That image aside, have you seen the pictures of Bronies who go to cons and meetups? They're cringeworthy, and fit the stereotypes to a tee. Plus, Bronies have whined on social media before of being "Nice guys" who always get "friendzoned", so they fit that stereotype too. 

img-2360602-3-highres_161490912.jpeg

And BAM! There's ample cannon fodder for guys to laugh at Bronies and lump them in with neckbeard fedora types who whine about being friendzoned. Its not fair, nice, or representative, but its understandable of how it happens. 

Wait, I can see where the second picture might be off-putting, but what's wrong with the first? They just look like a bunch of normal people to me. 

I never said you can tell anything about them. All they do is fit the visual stereotypes to a tee. (Fedoras, odd facial hair, awkward body language, strange clothing) Now, for all we know these guys are super chill bros who are all on the lax team or the coolest guys at their schools.... but come on dude, we know they aren't. Is it a fair judgement? No, but their physical appearance is all the detractors of the fandom need to lump us all into one big negative category. And this is why I never mention liking this show to anyone.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/20-reasons-you-shouldnt-date-men-who-wear-fedoras

Use this as a reference if you don't believe me. The guys in that list might be super cool, awesome guys... but first impressions and physical appearances count for a lot in our society.

While I do understand your point, you can't accept bad behavior like judging people based on appearance as inevitable and turn a blind eye to it(or maybe even go as far as taking part in it in some really bad cases). You have to be part of the solution by not condoning or engaging in said behavior yourself.  

What the heck is up with the second image?? Libertarians are NOT the same as Republicans! Libertarians are socially liberal, and thus in favor of gender, racial, and sexuality equality! 

That image aside, have you seen the pictures of Bronies who go to cons and meetups? They're cringeworthy, and fit the stereotypes to a tee. Plus, Bronies have whined on social media before of being "Nice guys" who always get "friendzoned", so they fit that stereotype too. 

that guy at the bottom right, freaking awesome.

• Brohoof 1

In any case pretending like getting laid isn't on your mind is a lie. 

I disagree, I don't make new friends on the bases that they'll have sex with me, I just make friends because I want friends. Yes, it applies that way for females too.  :derp: That's not to say I'm anti-getting laid it's just not usually on my mind.  :P

I disagree, I don't make new friends on the bases that they'll have sex with me, I just make friends because I want friends. Yes, it applies that way for females too.  :derp: That's not to say I'm anti-getting laid it's just not usually on my mind.  :P

I guess you never heard that classic line from 'harry met sally'

Somepony here probably knows it.

What haters think a prototype brony looks like

img-2360467-1-402831__safe_pinkie%20pie_

What most bronies actually look like

What the prototype brony actually looks like

img-2360802-3-metal-gear-solid-5-cinemat

Conclusion: I don't know where the haters got those stereotypes...

Is it wrong that I think that the guy in the first picture looks a lot like the character ''Soos'' from Gravity Falls

post-17988-0-11934300-1393805103_thumb.png

So now we are basing people's personality just by the way they look? Great. This shows how stupid our society can be. Sure maybe a small percentage of neckbeards are crappy to one another but it doesn't mean that ALL neckbeards act like this, its just pointless. A bad person is a bad person regardless of how they look.

• Brohoof 2

What, you mean I wasn't supposed to grow a neckbeard, and buy a fedora? B-but, I was told that that was the initiation for becoming a full-fledged brony! 

I'm just kidding of course. I don't know how this stereotype came to be.

• Brohoof 1

I have a beard to protect me from the harsh winter weather while I work everyday, I had a fedora when I was a child but got rid of it, I'm straight, I dated a few women, I'm perfectly fit for my age.

Your move stereotype lol.

(edited)

I'm probably going to get attacked for this, but there have only been a small handful of bronies I've met online/IRL who have been genuinely nice, good people.

The rest? Well, I don't know everyone, so I'm not going to say every other brony I don't know is like this.

The majority, however, have left a sour taste in my mouth which has even led me to abandon the "brony/pegasister" title and remain "closeted".

Might I ask what they did to cause you to come to this decision? I respect your decision as it is yours to make on whether you take on a title or not, but other than some minor annoyances here and there, I have never encounter something from this fandom that would cause me to feel uncomfortable with the title. But I admit that is me, to each their own I guess.

Edited by LordDiscord
  • Brohoof 1