Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gen1 was not that bad...

Everleaf

This proves that you haven't seen Rescue at Midnight Castle. While I wouldn't call it a great work of entertainment, "girly" is not exactly an accurate description. It's actually darker than anything in G4 so far.

After all, I don't think any G4 villain has ever threatened to decapitate Spike.

That was a special, though. I lost interest far too early to delve into those.

It was really your average 80's cartoon, there's really nothing bad about, but it really didn't have anything that stood out either

Pretty much my assessment of G1 on the whole.

It's still G1.  You can't separate it out from the rest. 

(edited)

If not for Celestia, Luna, Mane 6, Discord, Derpy, and Lyra, I would almost prefer gen 1 over gen 4. Why? Much better villains. Sure, the ponies mostly looked/sounded the same. But I was willing to overlook all that, because the villains were believable, not some one shot villains who either got redeemed or destroyed in 1-2 episodes. And there were a lot more of them. Although g4 still has 5 years to go at least, so who knows? *shrugs*

Also, Firefly is one of my favorite ponies, because that pony was so brave she would probably put RD to shame (although she was a lot more reckless from what I remember).

Edited by Princess of the Sun

I don't think it matters whether it was good or bad, because it is good on its own so no one has to compare to its successors. We all have our opinions, let's leave it at that. Basically, it is fine on its own.

• Brohoof 1

Gen 1 might not have been that bad, but it wasn't that great either. It came from the beginning of a time when virtually every cartoon that was on tv was based on a line of toys. Cartoons became part of the marketing strategy for toys in the 80's, and MLP was right in there with it. Unfortunately, between being a show for a young female audience and basically a marketing campaign, it suffered from some not terribly good writing (worse than now, IMHO) and an attempt to increase sales by putting every pony they possibly could (how many G1 ponies were there?) into the show in a speaking role at some point. Granted, shows for boys like G.I. Joe and Transformers weren't much better on that point, but they did seem to take better care of storylines and more interesting plots than they did for MLP.

FIM, by comparison, has much better writing, a nice mix of humour and drama, tied in to real-world situations that children could relate to (not unlike what they did with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) and characters who, while all female and aimed at a female audience, don't attempt to talk down to girls with stereotypes.

In short, IMHO, the best part about G1 is that it led to G4, and if they'd made the show this good, with this interesting and complete of a world in the 80's I might have sat and watched it with my kid sister instead of fleeing the room.

(edited)

G1 was a lot darker then FIM by far but back then they didn't have those "politicly correct" issues.

If they were to try and do the things they did back then... heck all I gotta do is point to the whole Derpy snafu and y'all would know what I mean.

I liked G1 but the stories were kinda stupid and no real character development. G4 is way better in this

Overall I wouldn't mind a hybrid of both in a G5

I think Hasbro could really do something with this overall creation if they would stop being afraid of the dark

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

This was NOT the only special and many of the episodes itself was actually pretty dark rarely did they have a (girly) episode it just like this genenation was for both genders.

• Brohoof 1

Uh...what do you mean you lost interest far to early??? It was the very first MLP cartoon EVER...there was nothing before it...

1984 was when the first special aired on TV, then in 1985 they had a second 'special'.

It wasn't till 1986/87 that the cartoon started to air on TV.

In my opinion the only thing gen 1 had going for it was the villians. Tirek's pretty cool I have to admit. But, all of the ponies are bland and lifeless, the human characters are uninteresting, the art is really ugly to look at, the animation is sub-par, and the songs make my ears bleed. It's better than mlp tales and *shudder* Gen 3, but just about everything is.

In my opinion the only thing gen 1 had going for it was the villians. Tirek's pretty cool I have to admit. But, all of the ponies are bland and lifeless, the human characters are uninteresting, the art is really ugly to look at, the animation is sub-par, and the songs make my ears bleed. It's better than mlp tales and *shudder* Gen 3, but just about everything is.

I could sum up the flaws

Yes the villains has been awesome but still I like G4 villains just as much

Firefly had seemed to have a lot of life in her but some ponies do seem (lifeless) but back then shows did not seem to put much into their people

The songs are pretty normal for the 80s and for a 80s children cartoon song they are not so bad...

human I slightly agree 

the art for being hand drawn was actually pretty good plus back then no one could draw a horse...

the animation for traditional drawing was actually pretty amazing

and yes G3 was way worse

but I will get you this Fim is still top.. 

Some people are just gonna be negative and hateful about it, but I really do like rescue at midnight castle, one of my favorite MLP cartoons. I like it better than quite a few G4 episodes. Some of the songs in it are my favorite as well, and I prefer them to some of the G4 songs.

It's just a matter of taste and opinion and what you personally like.

Even though I find G1 boring, I have to admit, Rescue at Midnight Castle is actually kind of cool.

Y'all do realize that FIM S1E1&2, was a remake of Rescue at Midnight Castle. If you look at them close enough you can see the similarities between them

• 4 months later...

Y'all do realize that FIM S1E1&2, was a remake of Rescue at Midnight Castle. If you look at them close enough you can see the similarities between them

Yes I have noticed quite a while back however I like em, both.