Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Equestria Games have focused on the actual games?

Grumpy Enchantress

Should Equestria Games have focused on the games?  

70 users have voted

1. 1. Should Equestria Games have focused on the games?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Half the episode should have
    • I don't care

(edited)

This is a complaint I've already been hearing a lot and I just don't get it. Who would want to watch an entire episode about a fictional sporting event instead of an actual eternal conflict with character development? What do you guys think?

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 7

i liked this EP just the way it was i'd love to see the twi sitting and comforting him though... but thats just me

(edited)

I think the episode was fine the way it is. I'm a little surprised it was given to Spike and not Twilight because there seemed to be a lot of building up to The Equestrian Games compared to any other event. So yeah, think it could have benefited Twilight more than it did Spike but still enjoyed it. As for watching 24 minutes of ponies I don't really care about competing in sports... probably not as interesting.

Edited by Bucky McGillyCuddy

Just a bit more.

It was really centered on Spike, and only on Spike. I was also disappointed not to see the actual Equestria Games, but just a few seconds more would have been enough.

• Brohoof 1

Ehhh...not really, it felt to me like they already did the sports thing with 'Rainbow Falls' so if they went back to that, it would have felt redundant.

Plus, the fact that the Equestria Games have literally been hyped since last season which means that a few people are bound to be disappointed after they were so overhyped it's unlikely that they would have been satisfactory even IF they were the prime focus given how overhyped they were.

• Brohoof 2

It would have been nice to have a sped up montage of the different competitions and cut out some of the less needed scenes but otherwise the episode was fine... except for spikes singing.

This is a complaint I've already been hearing a lot and I just don't get it. Who would want to watch an entire episode about a fictional sporting event instead of an actual eternal conflict with character development? What do you guys think?

I don't see what's wrong with it. Sure character development is important, but who says that every episode needs it? They brought up a new concept, and it would have been much better if they explored it instead of focusing on developing Spike. Imagine all the games that Equestria has! Imagine bronies trying to play them at conventions! I just really thought that the Equestria Games would be more than an ice arrow shooting competition and a relay. :/

• Brohoof 1

Nope, and the absence of the events onscreen allows for a lot of fan related content that may actually be cannon-proof because of the gaps they left.

I do wonder if 1/3 of the Pony population would feel discriminated against since one of their defining traits is basically banned.

(edited)

A scene in an hour and a half long movie isn't comparable to wasting an entire episode of a half hour show on it. Besides, I hate Harry Potter.  :P

I don't see what's wrong with it. Sure character development is important, but who says that every episode needs it? They brought up a new concept, and it would have been much better if they explored it instead of focusing on developing Spike. Imagine all the games that Equestria has! Imagine bronies trying to play them at conventions! I just really thought that the Equestria Games would be more than an ice arrow shooting competition and a relay. :/

It'd be so boring, though. We got to see lots of cool games in the background, but I think we'd all be bored to tears if they focused on that for 22 minutes.  -_-

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 1

My opinion is that this episode could have benefited from more creativity in the sports. The problem is that they needed to tell a story. They could have gone with another character and maybe explored cheating in sports or some other moral revolving about this. But I think that the moral they pursued worked great. If they added more stuff about the games, it would have been detrimental to the story they were telling. 

The solution might have been to turn this into two episodes. But this would have made Spike's conflict drag on for too long.

Personally, I would have excused that, because I really wanted to see more of the games, ponies competing, learn more about those ponies that shared the VIP area with the princesses. BLUEBLOOD! I WANTED TO SEE RARITY GUTTING HIM WITH HER HORN! Maybe learn a little about how Equestria works. What are those other ponies in relation to the princesses? I think that Equestria needs to be fleshed out better, and it feels like a wasted opportunity. But I bet people would have thought the episode was boring if they did what I just said.

• Brohoof 1

I can understand the complaint, because there was so much build up to the games.

A scene in an hour and a half long movie isn't comparable to wasting an entire episode of a half hour show on it. Besides, I hate Harry Potter.  :P

It'd be so boring, though. We got to see lots of cool games in the background, but I think we'd all be bored to tears if they focused on that for 22 minutes.  -_-

Soccer games have 90 minutes and people still watch them every day. :P

Anyways, I'm just saying that they could have focused a little bit more on the Equestria Games. It was a concept that was being worked since the end of Season 3 and it turned out to be such a small part in the episode. It had lots of potential to create more Equestrian culture, but instead we got Spike development.

I'm not saying that the episode should have been 100% Equestria Games, but it would be nicer to see more of it. Like, it could have the same dynamics as "Just For Sidekicks" and "Games Ponies Play", where two episodes happen simultaneously. Spike could have been developed in one, and Rainbow Dash and her team could have been focused in the other one. That way we would get the best of both worlds.

Yes, they should have focused more on the games. I thought that mostly Spike was shown, and we hardly got to see anypony compete except for the Aerial Race and the Ice Archery. The rest was all focused on Spike, which isn't fair to some scenes in the episode. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, as much as like liked how they managed Spikey-Wikey in this episode, can't help but get curious about the games themselves

Some short clips here and there would've been nice.

They spent all those episodes having characters make a big deal out of the games...and then they're turned into an afterthought.

I'm all for Spike getting some development (and better episodes), but did it have to involve turning magical Olympics into a mere plot point?

At the very least I'd like them to do a "Just for Sidekicks"/"Games Ponies Play" and give us an episode about the actual games later...

• Brohoof 1

They really should have made it a saga of three or more episodes.

• They could have had this episode with Spike's thing going on.
  • They should have had an episode about Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.  Add in some side stories about the other competitors and maybe a spectator trying to sabotage them to give his/her hometown a better chance at winning.
  • They could have had an episode all about Trixie prior to the games, contemplating entering.  Have her go through hell and high water to win the gold in the end.
  • One or more of these stories could have explored the nature of other locations in Equestria.
  • They also should have saved this for season 5.  The season premiere, perhaps.  They were fully capable of doing this because they actually had scripts for 27 episodes this season, so they did can one (or save it for season 5).
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

They really should have made it a saga of three or more episodes.

I thought of this too, I'd have prefered they do exactly what they did with Games Ponies Play and Just for Sidekicks.

The first episode would have been Spike's story, and then the second episode would start like the first one, and then focus on the games. :)

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

We've been building up the EQ games ALL season long and it was completely overshadowed by a badly written Spike episode. If he's afraid of crowds he shouldn't have wanted to go up there a second time. The back and forth between cocky and confident and scared Spike made little sense. If a dangerous frozen cloud was threatening the crowd then the princesses (the most powerful ponies in equestria) and other ponies should have stepped in. It frankly really ruined what should have been an important episode. We saw very LITTLE of the EQ games and of Twilight's role in a princess position. Instead we got yet another Spike episode that made little sense, wasn't enjoyable, and yet again the show suffered for it. Most Spike focused episodes aren't very good and this especially isn't an exception.

img-2602405-1-tumblr_n52dcpMf5L1rd23b5o1

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 3

We've been building up the EQ games ALL season long and it was completely overshadowed by a badly written Spike episode. If he's afraid of crowds he shouldn't have wanted to go up there a second time. The back and forth between cocky and confident and scared Spike made little sense. If a dangerous frozen cloud was threatening the crowd then the princesses (the most powerful ponies in equestria) and other ponies should have stepped in. It frankly really ruined what should have been an important episode. We saw very LITTLE of the EQ games and of Twilight's role in a princess position. Instead we got yet another Spike episode that made little sense, wasn't enjoyable, and yet again the show suffered for it. Most Spike focused episodes aren't very good and this especially isn't an exception.

Thanks for saving the day, Spike.  If we had to do something, we might have chipped a hoof.

But in all seriousness, they may have froze in a moment of shock, like Twilight.  Do I think it would have been better if they at least added an animation of them flying over to help?  Yes.  Especially Luna.  Don't throw away your reputation as Princess of Getting Shit Done.

(edited)

We've been building up the EQ games ALL season long and it was completely overshadowed by a badly written Spike episode. If he's afraid of crowds he shouldn't have wanted to go up there a second time. The back and forth between cocky and confident and scared Spike made little sense.

It makes little sense that he's more than a one dimensional character and wants attention while at the same time is easily intimidated by the crowds? I think it makes perfect sense to anyone expecting more than the most basic undeveloped character ever. It's called an internal conflict. I actually have no idea how someone could not get this.

You know their magic was disabled to avoid cheating right? The episode explained this. Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

(edited)

I guess some people have spelled out that they "capped" all the unicorns magic as part of the security measures when they entered the stadium over concern for cheating. However,

tumblr_n543fm2hgc1rd23b5o1_500.jpg

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 2

I guess some people have spelled out that they "capped" all the unicorns magic as part of the security measures when they entered the stadium over concern for cheating. However,

tumblr_n543fm2hgc1rd23b5o1_500.jpg

Too bad Twilight showed willingness to cheat when she used her fire spell so it was completely justifiable. :P

• Brohoof 1

The princesses have wings. They could have gone up to help. In fact, Twilight seemed ready to do it when Spike ran by her.

But this is so expected in FIM... Cadance and Twilight are the only princesses that actually do something on-screen, with rare exceptions.