Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Does Everypony Think Of FlutterCord?

Saphipony

Fluttershy and Discord friends?  Yes.  Romantic partners?  Sorry, just can't picture it.  I really can't picture Discord shipping with anypony.  And if I imagine Discord with Celestia, all I can picture is Janeway and Q.  HEY, now THERE'S a great idea for an episode!

• Brohoof 1

And if I imagine Discord with Celestia, all I can picture is Janeway and Q.  HEY, now THERE'S a great idea for an episode!

That's actually funny, 'cause Meghan herself said that Discord and Fluttershy reminded of Q and Janeway.

• Brohoof 1

I really don't see Discord being shipped with anyone to be a good idea. Probably because I still cling to the whole "essence of chaos," aspect and convince myself that no matter how much the others try Discord is simply not Huma- er... Pony.

Fluttershy and Discord friends?  Yes.  Romantic partners?  Sorry, just can't picture it.  I really can't picture Discord shipping with anypony.  And if I imagine Discord with Celestia, all I can picture is Janeway and Q.  HEY, now THERE'S a great idea for an episode!

Meghan is thinking the same thing.

full.jpg

• Brohoof 3

• 2 months later...

I think official IDW comics ship them so its half canon if not entirely and we may have Discord in similar role as Spike with Rarity with the difference that he will feel troubled to express himself or accept it

(i cut spoiler panels that not fit as a shipping tease)

post-22941-0-09031400-1412776379_thumb.png

It is that kind of thing

that could become all

romance and such or

a very deep type of friendship!

If anything, I like both and it gives

Fluttershy someone outside the

Mane Six to have  a bound with!

I kinda have mixed feelings on Fluttercord...I absolutely adore their friendship, how Fluttershy was the only one willing to see the good in Discord when nopony else could, how he shows more affection and respect for her than anypony else (except maybe Celestia), and think it's an awesome part of both their character development. I'm just not sure I see it as romantic, although S4 and especially the finale  - she writes to him! he has a picture of them! "mostly for Fluttershy"! :yay: - tipped me over into thinking "okay maybe I could ship this..."  - but while I don't hate the idea, I ship them both with others way more (Discord with Celestia, Fluttershy with Pinkie or Rarity) and like them better as best bros ^^

I definitely don't want it to be canon though, for many reasons...I generally want to stick to "no love interests for the Mane 6" unless it's with each other (yeah, I know Flashlight's a thing, but it seems to be in EQG only and doesn't affect the show in a major way?), because honestly it's just nice to have a show with lots of awesome female characters who aren't motivated/defined primarily by their relationships with men...I know relationships can be written well, but honestly, it just feels unnecessary at this point when there are way more interesting stories they could tell with this world and these characters. I'd personally much rather they leave shipping to the fans in general and concentrate on writing more awesome plots for S5 :please:

• Brohoof 1

I kinda have mixed feelings on Fluttercord...I absolutely adore their friendship, how Fluttershy was the only one willing to see the good in Discord when nopony else could, how he shows more affection and respect for her than anypony else (except maybe Celestia), and think it's an awesome part of both their character development. I'm just not sure I see it as romantic, although S4 and especially the finale  - she writes to him! he has a picture of them! "mostly for Fluttershy"! :yay: - tipped me over into thinking "okay maybe I could ship this..."  - but while I don't hate the idea, I ship them both with others way more (Discord with Celestia, Fluttershy with Pinkie or Rarity) and like them better as best bros ^^

I definitely don't want it to be canon though, for many reasons...I generally want to stick to "no love interests for the Mane 6" unless it's with each other (yeah, I know Flashlight's a thing, but it seems to be in EQG only and doesn't affect the show in a major way?), because honestly it's just nice to have a show with lots of awesome female characters who aren't motivated/defined primarily by their relationships with men...I know relationships can be written well, but honestly, it just feels unnecessary at this point when there are way more interesting stories they could tell with this world and these characters. I'd personally much rather they leave shipping to the fans in general and concentrate on writing more awesome plots for S5 :please:

Fluttercord is currently the shipping that got most fuel recently with a good chance of becoming the next sparity (aside from FlashLight), while Celestcord has parctically none and is purely based on some headcanons.

Like it or not, its could really become something serious.

• Brohoof 1

Fluttercord is currently the shipping that got most fuel recently with a good chance of becoming the next sparity (aside from FlashLight), while Celestcord has parctically none and is purely based on some headcanons.

Like it or not, its could really become something serious.

True :) I have no problem accepting that if it happens! I just don't have to like it if it does, lol - I guess you could argue it depends on what you interpret as actual romantic hints rather than just friendship (for example, Applejack saying "good things are better when they're a Rarity *wink*" totally comes off like flirting to me, but I know that it probably wasn't intended as anything more than friendship - same with Discord giving Celestia the flowers, I can enjoy the fanon interpretation while understanding it doesn't mean/imply there'll be a romantic relationship in canon? I hope that makes sense, sorry ^^; ) ? But even from that perspective, yeah, there's lots more fuel for Fluttercord shipping.

If they did make it canon, though, honestly...I think it would be quite a bold move? An interspecies pairing with a considerable age difference, not to mention that Discord has canonically hurt and betrayed Fluttershy several times - which doesn't mean he can't be redeemed or doesn't truly care for her now, but I would expect it to complicate things at least a little... -  so it could very easily fall into the ~redeemed by love~ trope. Which again, you could argue (not saying this is what I personally think...it would all depend on the way it's handled) doesn't send out the greatest message for young girls and boys watching? I mean, all of those complications is what makes their platonic dynamic so interesting to me, but as a show for kids I would have thought the writers would be hyper-aware of what they're portraying as a healthy relationship. Sparity is still only one-sided canon, and it's portrayed as a cute, harmless crush like many kids might have on their older sister's friend (but not reciprocated by the older party, because that'd seem kinda creepy without aging Spike up) - I could see them doing that with Fluttershy->Discord, maybe, though I could personally see Discord->Fluttershy more easily at this point, but I think that's riskier unless they're going to totally ignore the age difference. There are no such issues with FlashLight, since it's a relationship between people/ponies of roughly the same age with no significant power differentials or controversial aspects (disclaimer: I haven't seen RR yet so I don't know if that changes, but I can't imagine it does unless Flash turns evil or something, which would make him a lot more interesting :lol: ).

Sorry, that got long!  :blush:  I'm not trying to argue with anyone or say that canon Fluttercord would definitely be terrible - just that I think it would need to be done very carefully to work, especially in the FiM show itself (I'm not up to date with the IDW comics but they seem to have a bit more leeway there, and it's optional whether you consider them canon or not?), because there's more to consider actually making something canon vs when it's just fans shipping. I think it's an interesting debate :)

also, relevant to none of the above, but on Tomodachi Life my Discord and Fluttershy Miis are married with a kid. Maybe it's a sign of...something X3

Edited by Coco before Pommel
  • Brohoof 1

IDW support it. And with them, also Hasbro who check any plotpoints. Which mean that a hint of their relationship in newest comic doesnt interfer with Season 5 in the slightest. That mean that none of them will find any other character attractive or that they will actually going to make an episode with them and the comic only serve as a "more bonding time"

img-2619902-1-BnS3H4eCMAAV5H8.png

I JUST NOTICED

THE PETALS OF THOSE FLOWERS

THE COAT COLOURS OF THE MANE 6 

OH MY GOD

I JUST NOTICED THAT

My sudden discovery aside, I think that there's been a lot of Fluttercord snuck in the show, especially in the finale, and that it's the most almost-canon ship in the series.

Or, they're just trolling with us by making it seem like Discord is slightly obsessed with Fluttershy.

If the show says they're friends, they're JUST friends. Bottom line, end of story, case closed.

I JUST NOTICED

THE PETALS OF THOSE FLOWERS
THE COAT COLOURS OF THE MANE 6 
OH MY GOD
I JUST NOTICED THAT

My sudden discovery aside, I think that there's been a lot of Fluttercord snuck in the show, especially in the finale, and that it's the most almost-canon ship in the series.

Or, they're just trolling with us by making it seem like Discord is slightly obsessed with Fluttershy.

all the more reason to show that the writers are wanting them as friends. FRIENDS. Since the flowers reflect the mane 6's coat color's, and they, too, are all FRIENDS.

Because FRIENDship is magic.

• Brohoof 1

If the show says they're friends, they're JUST friends. Bottom line, end of story, case closed.

all the more reason to show that the writers are wanting them as friends. FRIENDS. Since the flowers reflect the mane 6's coat color's, and they, too, are all FRIENDS.

Because FRIENDship is magic.

regarding "just friends"

post-22941-0-93000700-1412872753.png

• Brohoof 2