• For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils
    • Leap of Faith
    • Testing Testing 1, 2, 3
    • Trade Ya!
    • Inspiration Manifestation
    • Equestrian Games
    • Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1 + 2

1. Bats!

Amazing song, and I loved Flutterbat. Overall it's a flawless episode.

2. Caste Mane-ia

I loved Pinkie Pie playing the organ, and great ambiance throughout the episode. I want more "dark" episodes like this one.

3. Twilight's Kingdom

The fight, the plot, Discord (...) were excellent. The end was a bit rushed though.

4. Rainbow Falls

I liked this episode but I understand those who didn't. I enjoyed Derpy's comeback and the Rainbow Falls (the place)

5. It's Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Mostly for Seabreeze, awesome little guy.

1. Rarity Takes Manehattan - I don't really need to explain why I've felt this is the best episode of the series, because I've explained why I've felt that way countless times :D It's just...perfect! :wub:

2. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils - This episode was an emotional thrill ride for me, and I remember getting a bit nauseous during the dream sequence because of how much it made my heart rate pick up - easily second best episode of the season :D

3. Maud Pie - This is where we draw the line between "Forever imprinted in my mind" and "One of the best of the season." It was a great episode and Maud was a total badass :D There's a reason everyone flipped out for her and there was an influx of Maud Pie avatars for a long time :D She rocked.

4. Simple Ways - the dynamic between AJ and Rarity was one that I found to be extremely enjoyable, and I thought Rarihick was so cute :wub: This is one of the better episodes in this season for me, Trendersuck and all :D

5. Pinkie Pride - As overrated as I feel this episode is, I've got to give the devil his due and make it one of the 5 best of this season - I stand firmly by my conviction that people got jaded over this episode because of the Weird Al appearance, and it's far from the best of the season, but just because something's overrated doesn't mean that it's bad at all :D This was a very enjoyable episode and definitely one of the best this season, and possibly even the series :D

Since people seem to be putting down their worsts as well, I'll go ahead and list off my 3 worst - 

1. Rainbow Falls

2. Flight to the Finish

3. Trade Ya!

3 blemishes on an otherwise perfect season :D

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

First off, I love all of these because they are great episodes! ^U^ The other reasons are just there because.

1. Twilight's Kingdom (for being freaking awesome, having best two songs and an incredibly epic battle scene...but not for destroying Golden Oak Library.)

2. Pinkie Pride (for having tie for third best song and creating CheesyPie)

3. Maud Pie (for being so darn funny!)

4. Filli Vanilli (for having tie for third best song)

5. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils (for amazing visuals, Luna, and Sweetie Belle)

Worst:
1. Rainbow Falls (only redeeming factor: Derpy and some funny Bulk Biceps scenes)

2. Equestria Games (only redeeming factor...none)

3. Twilight Time (only redeeming factor: the revealing of horseshoe fries :P)

Edited by yayayayayala

I chose:

"Pinkie Pride" - Songs were amazing, Cheese Sandwich was great

"Maud Pie" - Great character development from every pony, and Maud was really funny.

"For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" - The dream sequence was just fantastic, and the message was good.

"Testing Testing 1,2,3" - I really liked Rainbow Dash here, and who could forget Pinkie Pie's rap video?

"Twilight's Kindgom" - Fantastic plot, exciting, animation was great, the villain and the battle scene was awesome, and of course Discord was great. Best of the season for sure.

Honorable mentions:

"Rarity Takes Manehattan"

"Filli Vanilli"

In No Order:

- Pinkie Apple Pie

- Rarity Takes Manehatten

- Testing, Testing 1 2 3

- Trade Ya!

- Pinkie Pride

Honorable Mentions: Power Ponies, Twilight's Kingdom 1 +2, and Maud Pie

Least Favorite Episodes:

- Daring Don't

- Fili Vanili

- Bats!

- Rainbow Falls

- Somepony to Watch Over Me

Dishonorable Mentions: Simple Ways, Castle Mane-ia, and Three's A Crowd.

• Brohoof 1

These are my favorites in order:

1. Twilight's Kingdom P1 & 2 - HOLY CRAP IT'S HARRY POTTER, BUT WITH PONIES.

2. Inspiration Manifestation -  Insane Rarity up on the scene! Hmm.... love it when ponies go insane.

3. Somepony to Watch Over Me - This is basically my life.

4. Testing, Testing, 1 2 3 - SCIENCE AND COSPLAY

5. Bats! - Nananananananananana Flutterbat. Aww, Flutterbat is so cute <3

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Not in any particular order...

1. Twilight's Kingdom
2. Pinkie Pride
3. Daring Don't
4. Rarity Takes Manehattan
5. Bats!

Edit: Shit, I wanna be cool. I'll put my five worsts as well.

1. Inspiration Manifestation
2. Somepony to Watch Over Me
3. Castle Mane-ia
4. Simple Ways
5. Filli Vanilli

Edited by Flooter Do

Just hammered out a post about my least favorite, so time for some much-needed positivity

1: Testing, Testing, 1 2 3

Not sure if I'm ready to give it the label of best episode in the series (need to rewatch a few of the other candidates first, y'see :ph34r: ), but this one takes the cake for Season 4 at least. Brilliant characterization for all of the Mane Six and Spike, Twilight's best performance in a long while, Dash's best performance in a long while, great humor, and addressing a mature problem about people getting down on themselves for learning differently, I loved all of it. Beginning to end, I was involved in the story and enjoying it all the way. The conclusion was quite beautiful too :). Here's a more extensive post about why I liked it, since I'm more or less rehashing.

2: For Whom The Sweetie Belle Tolls

Another episode that gives a great look into Rarity and Sweetie Belle's unique bond as siblings. Sweetie was a massive brat, but she was a relatable massive brat. Jealousy causes people to do really stupid things, and I think many of us have been in that position. The dream sequences (something I always like in cartoons, incidentally) were gorgeous, and I loved seeing more of Luna making an effort to help little kids bond with their elder sisters. It's very touching to see, especially since all her problems came from sisterly spats and jealousy much like Sweetie's when it comes down to it. I also came out of this episode with an enormous amount of respect for Rarity, and just how great of a person and sister she is.

3: Pinkie Pride

Most everyone's talked about this, so I'll keep it simple. Cheese Sandwich and his confession at the end :wub:. Songs :wub: :wub:. Pinkie introspection and character development :wub: :wub: :wub:. This and Rarity Takes Manehattan are exactly what key episodes should look like.

4: Pinkie Apple Pie

Just one of those episodes where I had a smile on my face the entire time :). I was very excited to see an episode starring my second and third favorite ponies, and Levinger most certainly delivered. Some great moments out of each of the Apples (and the possible Apple), and AJ and Pinkie's sheer excitement and joy over being related was completely contagious. Sure, everything fell to heck as it always does with families on road trips, but they made it right anyway, as AJ and Pinkie do. And hey, it had a catchy song too.

5: Equestria Games

In which Mr. The Dragon became best pony. I'm exaggerating, but Season 4 was amazing for Spike and my appreciation for him has shot up like a rocket. I often see people complaining about the lengthy, awkward moments like the anthem and the "I can set fire to things with my miiiind" scenes, but I think that they helped me relate to Spike more, if anything. Sympathy shame is definitely a thing :(. It was also very funny, had some great moments out of Dash and Scootaloo that showed their character development from earlier, and delivered one of the best and most uplifting morals the show's dealt with yet. Spike is great, and this episode was all about him (and maybe some of us) realizing that too. I wanted to have Rarity Takes Manehattan in this list--it's an amazing episode that definitely deserves all the acclaim it gets-- but since it and Equestria Games are pretty even in my book, I decided to be a no good hipster write about the one that less people had talked about. There's a lot of love in here for RTM already, and that makes me happy to see.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

1. Pinkie Pride - My new favorite episode of the series. Not much else to say, really. 

2. Equestria Games - Ok, I know this episode is VERY polarizing. If you don't like it, fine. It's your opinion, but to me this episode fixed up Spike's character, much like I feel Pinkie's was fixed up in a A Friend In Deed. Spike was stupid at times, but don't we all have our moments? Anyway, I think it shows Spike at his highest highs, his lowest lows, and blends his previously inconsistent portrayals into a cohesive character (plus, it helps that I very much relate to the moral).

3. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils - Just like the other two I mentioned so far I think that this is a great episode that I find extremely relatable.

4. Rarity Takes Manehattan - Basically tied with #3, for just being a brilliant portrayal of the give and take of generosity.

5. Pinkie Apple Pie - This episode was hilarious and heartwarming to me. It could have easily stumbled down the path of mediocrity give its premise, but it didn't miss a single comedic or emotional beat on its journey, in my opinion.

Edited by Dry Colt
  • Brohoof 4

I only like 3 episodes this entire season, tbh:

Rainbow Falls - Like ghostie and his obsession with Rarity, :lol:, i like this episode b/c its feature my waifu, Spitfire.  

Daring Don't - I was hoping Daring Do would make an appearance and with Rainbow Dash, being her biggest fan, it was a quite exciting episode.

Twilight's Kingdom - I think most of us all agree that these episodes were just intense.  That includes Tirek making an appearance and I praise the voice actor on his extraordinary performance. 

(edited)

Aw man, I can't do this!!

*sigh*

(Wait, I need to edit. Needs to be in order with some explanation. lol)

Twilight's Kingdom 1 and 2
I love this episode for many reasons. First and foremost reason.

It felt like the writers had taken a thread straight out of one of my headcanons of Discord!

I always slightly doubted that he was reformed, and I knew there had to be something that would cement his position with the ponies. One of my ideas was to have him betray them, and then be betrayed in the same way. It was perfect and awesome! And the way they showed his guilt throughout the episode? GREAT.

PLUS, did you see his pure magic when Tirek sucked it from him?!
post-11173-0-54705300-1401304651_thumb.png
That was so cool! Sad, but cool! :wub:
Inspiration Manifestation

RARITY FINALLY WENT INSANE!!! YESSSSSS

Three's A Crowd
Discord sang an entire song about a glass of water.

And made it epic.

John. De Lancie.

Sang.

What was there not to love?!?!?! :muffins:

Filli Vanilli
The music in this episode was astounding.

I loved the quartet, vocal harmony stuff they had going there! It was great!

Not to mention, Fluttershy character development! Always great!

Leap Of Faith
At the end of the episode, I just suddenly realized how much I adore the Flim Flam Brothers. :D

Bats! and Maud Pie are the honorable mentions.

That was so hard. *cries* :(

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos
  • Brohoof 1

1. Twilight KIngdom 1+2

2. Testing, Testing 1,2,3

3. Inspiration Manifestation

4. Pinkie Pride

5. Rarity Takes Manehattan

HM: Castle Mane-ia, For Whom The Sweetie Belle Tolls, Filli Vanilli.

I don't have any worst episode. Just not so memorable ones, which is every other episodes.

• Brohoof 1

From best to least best:

1. Twilight's Kingdom - Fantastically epic, great songs, wonderful plot, rainbow power, and lots of Twilight Sparkle.

2. Princess Twilight Sparkle - Provided further depth to Equestria's history with the key scenes showing Nightmare Moon and Discord, along with the Tree of Harmony.  Also, Twilight Sparkle.

3. Testing Testing 1 2 3 - Twiley and Dashie make a great on-screen team, they're hilarious together and half this episode featured the two of them.  The rest was full of cuteness, from the animal show to Pinkie's rap to Rarity's costume show.  It was a really fun episode.  Also, Twilight Sparkle.

4. Twilight Time - Not usually a CMC fan, still this did seem to advance their cutie mark arc (and perhaps in directions different than what was originally hinted at in The Show Stoppers).  Also, Twilight Sparkle.

5. Daring Don't - This was a really fun episode, and I loved the chance to explore tropes from the Indiana Jones franchise.  Daring Do was awesome as a character, and I hope to see more of her adventures in the future...or read about them in the soon-to-be-released book :)

All right, I'll have a go at this, considering that I've had several forum members tell me that I overthink or overanalyze episodes, even to the point of ruining the watching experience, and I've had discussions with a few forum members (@@Pixel Stick@@) about whether I even enjoy the show. I will admit that my posts about episodes focus on "negative" aspects (inconsistencies, questionable character actions, unrealistic phenomena, etc.) while almost never emphasizing the parts of the episodes which I enjoyed. So, in this post, I'll try to break from my usual routine and write about some episodes which have things that I like.

This will still be a little difficult for me, for at least a couple of reasons. One is that it's hard to motivate myself to write about the things I like in episodes of the show, since they seem trivial and uninteresting compared to my "negative" questions and observations, which seem much more substantive and worthy of contribution, and which I feel more able to discuss and defend. Furthermore, I think I like individual moments and scenes of the show more so than entire episodes, each of which inevitably has things that I question and/or dislike. (Consequently, there are many moments and scenes I liked in episodes other than the ones I'm listing here.)

So below are five episodes of this season I think I might have liked the most overall. I'll try to focus on the positives, since I've already written lengthy posts about each episode which detail most of my other questions and issues. Also, I don't feel able to attach a ranking or rating to these episodes, so I'll just write about them in the order that I think of them.

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 (Episode 21): This is probably the most obvious pick for me. What I like the most in this episode is Twilight's and Rainbow Dash's dialogue and interactions with each other, which are natural, engaging, and relatable. I liked watching Rainbow Dash's antics and Twilight's reaction to them in the first part of the episode. I also really liked the last third or so of the episode, when we see Rainbow Dash being despondent and Twilight trying to cheer her up. It's nice to see Rainbow Dash venture a little outside of her box of typical behavior, and consequently see an expansion of her character (which I also enjoy watching in previous episodes like Party Of One and Lesson Zero). The episode also comes to a nice feel-good conclusion - the Mane Six's efforts and concern throughout the episode pay off, and Rainbow Dash passes the test.

Twilight's Kingdom (Episodes 25 & 26): Overall, these episodes are pretty engaging, and there are several good parts in particular. Twilight's concerns about how her role as a princess doesn't amount to much are very relatable and realistic, since we haven't really seen her performing many significant duties as princess; I find myself nodding and saying "Yep" to most of Twilight's dialogue on the matter. It's interesting to watch Discord turn to the dark side and see how the uneasy partnership of Tirek and Discord pans out. Watching Twilight try to control herself while holding all the princesses' magic is funny. Finally, the epic battle between Tirek and Twilight is good action entertainment, and the destruction of the library was a genuine surprise.

Princess Twilight Sparkle (Episodes 1 & 2): Again, these episodes are engaging overall. The scenes and jokes about Twilight learning to fly and being the leading princess in Celestia's and Luna's absence are humorous. Twilight's flashbacks are interesting and entertaining, particularly the flashback to Nightmare Moon's banishment, and I like watching Twilight react as though the first flashback is real. Finally, some of Discord's antics in these episodes are pretty funny.

Flight To The Finish (Episode 5): I like that this episode covers some fairly mature subject matter regarding Scootaloo's identity as a pegasus who isn't yet able to fly. The whole scene with Miss Harshwhinny and Rainbow Dash explaining the competition to be flag carriers is particularly funny and entertaining, especially Miss Harshwhinny's attitude, facial expressions, and reaction to Rainbow Dash's enthusiasm. The Cutie Mark Crusaders' routine actually is impressive. It's nice to see more interaction between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash, and to see Scootaloo's enthusiasm return even as her eventual ability to fly is still in doubt. Finally, it is exciting to see the Cutie Mark Crusaders actually win the competition to be Ponyville's flag carriers, since we've been rooting for them through the whole episode (and the show).

Power Ponies (Episode 6): I really struggled to decide the fifth episode for this list, and my reasons for liking this episode seem particularly superficial. Spike's feeling useless is understandable, though a bit overplayed, and consequently, I do like seeing the Mane Six praise him while talking to the Mane-iac, even if that praise seems to come out of nowhere. I like watching Twilight's interaction with Spike in this episode and her words of encouragement to him. It's nice to see Spike using a little ingenuity and bravery to save the day. Finally, the Mane Six's costumes and powers are kind of cool to see.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Holy shit some of the names in here! 

I recall this topic, I voted but didn't post because I was carefully trying to find the third rail and stuff in the community and was a little cautious at the time. This was the season I became a fan, so it holds some nostalgic power. Back in 2014 I believe I said 

Flight to the Finish

Rarity Takes Manehattan

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils 

Simple Ways 

Twilight's Kingdom

I don't know what order I would have had them. Guess what? Over three years and multiple viewings later, it has changed -- a lot. 

5 - Inspiration Manifestation

4 - Flight to the Finish

3 - Testing 1-2-3

2 - Pinkie Pride 

1 - Rarity Tales Manehattan

Only two survived my initial reaction. Legit. Simple Ways still has my favorite Rarity line to randomly scream at a con. :D

• Brohoof 2

My Top 5 Season 4 Episodes:

1. Testing, Testing, 1,2,3                                     (I don't know why I love this episode so much, I just do.) :P
  2. Pinkie Pride                                                    (Awesome songs!)
  3. Rarity Takes Manehattan                               (Generosity & it's reprise are amazazing, IMO.)
  4. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils                 (I LOVE "Christmas Carol" adaptations so this one was really fun for me.)
  5. Maud Pie                                                       (Maud Pie's dry humor is hilarious, IMO.)
Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1