Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like to go to the movies by your self?

SolidTwilight

Do you like to go to the movies by your self?  

73 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like to go to the movies by your self?

• Yes, its the best way to see a movie
    • No, it's boring and lonely
    • Some times.
    • I hate the movies, why would you go at all.

I like going with other people and I also like going by myself, usually though I just go with my parents and sit in a separate area (our theater is set up where the seats are separate). I do kind of like that, it's nice for me being by myself (or sitting by myself) b/c I just don't always like going and being that close to people, no I'm not claustrophobic, I'm just weird like that lol.  :lol:  :blink:

I've gone to the movies by myself sometimes, and other times I've gone with a friend or a family member. Both experiences are a lot of fun, but in different ways. Sometimes I enjoy experiencing a movie solo and therefore experience it in a more independent manner, while other times I enjoy sharing that experience with someone else and enjoying it with them. 

Both experiences are distinctly different for me, and which one I'm in the mood for varies. Regardless, I love both.

I don't generally go to the movies, but when I do there is usually one or more associates (usually family) with me.  I do fly solo from time to time, but it's quite less common.  To illustrate, the last movie that I saw by myself was the Wolverine movie that had the terrible Deadpool in it.

I really don't like going to the movies at all.  I don't like crowds, other people talk and make noise, no matter how many messages they put up on the screen telling everyone to turn their phones off, someone doesn't.  But the worst part for me is the volume level.  I have very sensitive hearing, and I simply cannot go to the movies without earplugs.  I would rather watch movies at home where I'm comfortable.  Back in the days of ye olde CRT TV's, movie theatres were a more important experience.  If you wanted an epic movie viewing experience, you had to go to theatre.  But now, in the modern age of massive, HD plasma TVs and superior sound quality, the theatre doesn't seem so important anymore, imo.  I have a better movie viewing experience at home where I have complete control.  Also, back in the days of yesteryear, if you missed a movie in the theatre, you had to wait a year for it to come out on video, and you'd be out of the loop.  Now it's like a week and it's everywhere.  It's at your fingertips on demand for so much cheaper than the theatre.  Now, I know that the point, really, is to get out and go to the movies with friends.  But that's another thing--I've never really enjoyed going to the movies with others.  If I'm going to go out with friends (or maybe a date someday, if that ever happens), I want to be able to visit with my friends or date.  Sitting in a movie theatre, staring at the screen is no way to get to know each other.  I want to do something that is actually social, where we can talk.  Watching movies at home with friends is great, because you can talk if you want without disturbing others.  Honestly, though, when I'm watching a movie I haven't seen before, something I've really been anticipating, I actually prefer to be alone.  I want full concentration, like @SolidTwilight.  When I watch movies with friends as a social activity, I prefer to watch something we've seen a bunch of times, and we'll basically do a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 with it. 

Sorry for rambling on so long.  If you've seen me around here a lot, you probably know that I love to write!

• Brohoof 1

I really don't like going to the movies at all. I don't like crowds, other people talk and make noise, no matter how many messages they put up on the screen telling everyone to turn their phones off, someone doesn't. But the worst part for me is the volume level. I have very sensitive hearing, and I simply cannot go to the movies without earplugs. I would rather watch movies at home where I'm comfortable. Back in the days of ye olde CRT TV's, movie theatres were a more important experience. If you wanted an epic movie viewing experience, you had to go to theatre. But now, in the modern age of massive, HD plasma TVs and superior sound quality, the theatre doesn't seem so important anymore, imo. I have a better movie viewing experience at home where I have complete control. Also, back in the days of yesteryear, if you missed a movie in the theatre, you had to wait a year for it to come out on video, and you'd be out of the loop. Now it's like a week and it's everywhere. It's at your fingertips on demand for so much cheaper than the theatre. Now, I know that the point, really, is to get out and go to the movies with friends. But that's another thing--I've never really enjoyed going to the movies with others. If I'm going to go out with friends (or maybe a date someday, if that ever happens), I want to be able to visit with my friends or date. Sitting in a movie theatre, staring at the screen is no way to get to know each other. I want to do something that is actually social, where we can talk. Watching movies at home with friends is great, because you can talk if you want without disturbing others. Honestly, though, when I'm watching a movie I haven't seen before, something I've really been anticipating, I actually prefer to be alone. I want full concentration, like @SolidTwilight. When I watch movies with friends as a social activity, I prefer to watch something we've seen a bunch of times, and we'll basically do a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 with it.

Sorry for rambling on so long. If you've seen me around here a lot, you probably know that I love to write!

I get what your saying about being at home is better but the funny thing is that at my house there is 4 other people there and someone is always making nose, fighting with someone or looking for me to do something, so at the movies is less distracting. at my ex girl friends place, we had a kick ass TV/movie setup with dark room, 46" HD TV, and a PS3 with an HDMI cable, and it was just the two of us, it was better then a movie theater! Just one of lots of stuff that I really miss about dating her.

anyway I am still amassed that most people main reason for going to the movies is not because they really loves movies and really want to see the one there going to.

I thrive on company, so I'd hate to go to the movies alone. Or any social place alone- theme parks, restaurants, etc. It's just lonely and boring. I'd have no one to share the fun or experience with...

The couple of times that I have went alone everytime there is no one right next to me either someone who talks to other people the whole movie sits there. Or some family I move a couple seats over for and there kids cry and scream. I still love the movies but those people are kind of annoying.

I started going by myself last year when we had a cinema in the town... And i had no friends to go with so i just went to catch a movie alone... i did it a few times...

I enjoy it, i mean it's like sitting and watching a movie at home, on a huge screen, with nobody chatting away in your ear or hogging the popcorn...

But then again you can't discuss the movie with anyone afterwards... both have their perks...

However I do miss being able to go to the movies on my own... I can't get to the nearest cinema any more because I moved home.... so I usually go with friends... My town needs a cinema :P

meh,it's ok going with yourself,but everyone else that goes to the movies goes with someone else.So it makes you feel like a huge mega loner.Although the time to think to yourself is nice.

(edited)

I did that a few times a while back when I didn't have any friends to go with and there were movies I wanted to see. It was all right. I liked going during the daytime because the theatres were almost empty. I guess it depends on the movies too, I remember seeing "No Country For Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood" alone and both of them were really immersive experiences, I liked that. Haven't been all that interested in movies lately though, it's been a few years since I went to a cinema  

I still go to music concerts alone, that can be pretty awkward, but when the concert start it doesn't really matter. You can jump and sing like an idiot, no one cares  :P

Edited by Jaref

I like bringing somebody with me, just so we can react to the twists / things going on / etc together. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

• 10 months later...

I would never go to the movies alone. Yeah watching a movie is enjoyable, but it's more enjoyable when you are with friends. Plus, I don't want to be that one person who's all alone in a movie theater; most people go with friends/family anyway.

I do not like going to the movies alone (I never have). I would rather want to enjoy a movie with someone than watch it alone :T.

I went to the movies alone sometimes, but I don't really prefer it. It does makes it kind of lonely when you go to the movies and sit all alone. With someone their you can at least share your thoughts, talk, or at least have the feeling that someone's there. 

I never go to the movies alone, never have and never will. It sucks not having anyone to enjoy it with.

Edited by Guest

Going to the cinema alone is just lonely i feel. I mean watching alone at home i can deal with, but going to the movies alone... no. Its not really fun if i can't experience it with others.

I have been to a few movies by myself and I really enjoyed it, for me though it really depends on what type,of movie you are watching, like if it's a comidy I want to watch with friends, but action movies I prefer alone

I sometimes go to a movie by myself, it depends on if I can find anyone to go with or the kind of movie. Usually if it's a horror movie I prefer to go with friends because I don't like being by myself scared. In most cases I'll go by myself or wait till it's out on DVD, since movies are way too expensive.

I watch movies with people almost all the time. I usually can't decide what I wanna watch so I need someone to help me choose, and if the movie isn't amazing in the first 10 minutes I stop paying attention. If I didn't have anybody to watch movies with I just wouldn't watch movies.

Now if I'm really looking foward to watch some specific movie i need to do it alone (Rainbow Rocks for example)

• 1 month later...
I rarely watch movies at all, let alone at the theater, but I prefer going alone when I do... especially since I have pretty much no-one to go with. x3 And watching it alone makes me feel less restrained about how I respond to what happens in the movie; if I don't mirror the reactions of the person/people that went with me, I start to feel uncomfortable, somehow. =/