Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Big Macintosh mentally handicapped or a genius?

Phosphorous

38 users have voted

1. 1. Is Big Macintosh...?

• Mentally Handicapped
    • A Genius
    • -other-

(edited)

Sometimes I wonder whether Big Macintosh is intellectually handicapped and cannot talk, or is a genius, and refuses to talk.

What do you guys think?

Perhaps Big Macintosh is much more smart than all of the other ponies. He says what he wants in the least words possible to not upset anypony, and also because he finds their communication inefficient and futile.

Maybe he knows no other pony intellectually advanced as him to be able to discuss serious matters such as Quantum Physics, the world economy, etc. with. Also, since he is an Earth pony, he is stereotyped as not-very-bright by Unicorns, so they (the elitist Unicorns) refuse to talk to him.

tumblr_lxyqh8ZHI51r0z1wao1_400.gif

Another point is that he is a pony Ubermensch in terms of strength, so why not in intellect too.

Edited by Phosphorous
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

How about neither? Likely he's just a reserved individual of modest intelligence who prefers to let his actions speak for him. When he does speak more than two words though, ponies shut up and listen. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 3

I think Bigmac is just shy, I don't think he's really dumb or necessarily a genius either. Just shy and typically quiet. 

Maybe not a genius in the whole sense of the word. He does strike me as very intelligent though. On the rare occasions where he chooses to speak more than a word, he usually has a lot of insight on the situation.

• Brohoof 1

This again? Look just because someone doesn't talk much or seems boring, odd or disagreeable to your tastes or the norm, a la Maud Pie, doesn't mean they have some mental disorder or are somehow inferior to others, nor does it suggest that they are some savant prodigy either.

If anything, Big Mac has shown himself to be very capable, responsible and smart, being able to run Sweet Apple Acres alongside Applejack and Granny Smith and take care of his family. The few instances that he does talk Big Mac actually sounds a lot smarter and more clever than most of the characters at times. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XIF0qz5dsE

How do you like them apples?  :mellow:

He's secretly an alicorn.

Lol!  My favorite post so far.

Ummm...  Why does it have to be one of two extremes lol??  He doesn't strike me as either some reserved, introspective genius or as a pony that is somehow mentally impaired (resulting in limited vocalization).  I don't think his IQ is particularly high or particularly low.  He's just a regular dude. xD

• Brohoof 1

I definitely think he's just a normal pony who doesn't like to talk that much.

I feel like this topic is looking too deep into Big Mac's character tbh.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Lol!  My favorite post so far.

Ummm...  Why does it have to be one of two extremes lol??  He doesn't strike me as either some reserved, introspective genius or as a pony that is somehow mentally impaired (resulting in limited vocalization).  I don't think his IQ is particularly high or particularly low.  He's just a regular dude. xD

"And now a performance from Squidward's clarinet. Thank you, thank you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWAV_cbz7s

Edited by RainbowDangerDashie
  • Brohoof 1

In many other forms of media and sometimes in real life, individuals that are "super" are targeted against because of the perceived threat to current leadership. For example, in "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut, the government tries to prosecute Harrison because of his superior abilities. Also, in Cybersix (if you haven't watched it, do it now), the Cybers are mass murdered because their strength and abilities were way above what Von Richter expected. They were replaced with humanoids with less ability that could be controlled more easily. For a real-life example, many intellectuals, especially those that were mentally and physically healthy, were persecuted more readily than average people with the same standings (The Third Reich). Even after dictatorships, "super" people who were involved were chased after while ignoring the less intelligent involvees.

Big Macintosh also usually hides his maximum strength, which we got a glimsp of in "Hearts and Hooves Day", and even then, the spell "dumbed him down". It may as well be an act so he would not be targeted by Celestia. For one thing, we know that Applejack and her loyal-to-the-crown family would not be able to keep a secret, even for their brother's life. If Celestia found out, she would consider him a threat. Plus, who said that Alicorn magic can always beat pure force and tactic?

I do believe he's a genius, and I do have some evidence to support my claim, even if it's admittedly not completely solid. When he was Discorded in Return of Harmony, he started acting like a dog. Since Discord changes you into an opposite of yourself, this could mean he normally has as many IQ points above the average pony as a dog has IQ points below the average pony, or something like that. Also, in Pinkie Apple Pie, it showed the ending of what was likely a very deep and philosophical conversation. 

• Brohoof 1

I loved how he was portrayed in the comics. In his arc "The Art of Gazebo Repair," he rarely talked, but you could  tell he had plenty to say in his thoughts. He just kept those thoughts to himself. ;)

Also, Fleetfoot's fantasy...175221.png?1394769173

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

In "Ponyville Confidential", he spoke perfectly well when yelling at "Gabby Gums". He's just a stallion of few words, is all. I don't think he's a genius, either, though.

And again with the assumption that a cartoon character has to have a real world psychological problem to account for their behaviour?

Edited by Sunny Fox