Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Online Chatting Habits

Inactive01

Something struck my mind when it came to online chats. When it comes to talking with people in person, you have facial expressions and body language that suggests what the person's thinking at the time they say something. Connotations and implications, so to speak.

When you chat online though, sarcasm and other hidden thoughts are often hidden away much better. So I was wondering. When you type something online, does it often represent your emotions and thoughts properly? If not, what do you guys do to remedy that problem?

I like using emoticons like this :squee: to show how I'm feeling towards others when I say something so that people can know better how I'm feeling. I also like to make sure I don't add any hint of sarcasm in my speech unless I add a :P to show that I'm being sarcastic.

• Brohoof 2

I know exactly what you mean. I don't use emoticons.

So, when I talk, people say that I sound cold and aggressive.

In fact, I am never sarcastic but still, people will think that I am and misinterpret my thoughts.

Yeah, I guess people read a bit too far and try to find hidden meanings when there isn't any.

Really sad, don't you think ?

EDIT: I don't use emoticons because I don't know what they mean. The only ones I know are those.

:(

:)

:lol:

And, for example, what is this supposed to represent ?  :nom:

Edited by boiteporte

When you chat online though, sarcasm and other hidden thoughts are often hidden away much better. So I was wondering. When you type something online, does it often represent your emotions and thoughts properly? If not, what do you guys do to remedy that problem?

For sarcasm if there is a whistle emoticon I use that, but if there is none I just do this. *whistle* (I only use sarcasm when I'm debating with someone. Mainly on youtube)

I like using emoticons like this :squee: to show how I'm feeling towards others when I say something so that people can know better how I'm feeling. I also like to make sure I don't add any hint of sarcasm in my

Emoticons I personally think are the best way to show emotions on the Internet environment.

• Brohoof 4

I always try to minimize the risk that I'm misunderstood by choosing words that can't be misunderstood that easy. And if I see any possibilities of misunderstandings after I have read my post couple times I add one of these.  ;)

Edited by ooBrony
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I use a lot of emoticons in chatting online, especially the :P face. I just use it a lot, maybe to much really.

I try my best to make my tone clear somehow, either by word choice, or emoticons or something.

But I don't think people always get the right tone I have when I'm speaking. Especially since I am sarcastic quite often.

I try my best to make my tone clear though.

• Brohoof 4

I try my best to make my tone clear though.

I think that's the hardest part with online conversations in general. You can't express inflections that can emphasize specific words and play down other words. I find that capitalizing the world LIKE THIS helps me to hone in on specific words for my recipient to understand. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Brohoof 1

At least I'm not the only one that uses :P as sarcasm.

I don't use emoticons too much when I chat online, especially if I'm playing a game online.

But, I do use them a lot on a forum that I've been a part of for a period of time.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, I've been chatting online for so long that I don't worry about my style too much.  I do use a certain amount of emoticons to convey emotions and reactions to what others say.  With that said, I try not to overuse them.  Just enough to get the point across.  :) 

I try to avoid hidden sarcasm or other things by either using an appropriate emoticon or saying something like *sarcastic tone of voice*.  But yeah, that's pretty much it.  As along as people understand what I'm trying to say, I'm doing pretty good, right?  :huh: 

• Brohoof 2

I love using emoticons! :) I often use the smiley face, or the :P face when I'm joking. I actually feel like I'm more expressive online than in real life. :wacko:

I love that this forum has so many cool emotes; I especially like using the :squee: and :wub: faces when I'm talking with... a special someone ;)

• Brohoof 1

I always try to use emotes. Reason for that is that a post without emotes seems very neutral and "meh", so I try not to make others think that I'm neutral or sad while I post :P. Not that I think all people who rarely use them are always sad or indifferent, of course.

Sarcasm.. I try to use italics or /these/ slashes to emphasize certain words... Or I'll use the :comeatus: emote if if works well in the situation.

• Brohoof 2

How odd, i was under the impression that i'm much more candid when typing online. Body language, expressions, even your tone of voice can betray what leaves your mouth. I feel much more expressive when i use my keyboard to communicate as opposed to my voice. :)

Forum posting style for me is pretty much dependent on the mood I'm in. You see, I'm typing in a casual sorta way right now. Informal as the grammar is crap. Why? Welllll .... I'm in a mellow mood I guess. My online emotions and persona are pretty much what you get with me in the real word. The only difference is that my face and voice are infinitely more animated at times. Nervous energy FTW.

All that said ... there are times that my more introspective posts may influence how people real the casual silliness in my other posts. Recently I was trying hard to bring levity to a topic that was being heated and suspected during the discussion that my comments were ... um ... still being read too seriously. I asked anyone reading my posts to imagine the voice of Kermit the Frog. One reply actually thought that was me being super cereal. O-o

Yeah, no.

I always say that the onus is on the writer to effectively convey his or her emotions. When I'm read the wrong way ... I blame myself. Either I chose the wrong words or got lazy (happens when I'm on mobile ... Sue me). I like the emotes because they are ... well ... cute ... but they are not sophisticated enough to really convey everything I want to say. The written word is a magical thing.

'Cause reasons

I haz more to say on this topic but I have to throw ice on my daughter :D

• Brohoof 3

I rely heavily on visual cues when talking with people, so text devoid of emoticons and playful verbiage can seem a bit mechanical to me. Cold, perhaps. But this is actually how I spoke for a long time, because I've seen so many people use emoticons ironically and sarcastically that I interpreted them as veiled hostility in any context. Coming here is actually what changed that perception because I saw so many people using them to convey sincere lightheartedness and to make conversations more pleasant.

Now I put more effort into reading between the lines instead and have become very adept at it, so I appreciate the abundant use of emoticons now. I use them as often as I can to lighten things up. :D

If it is a serious discussion topic though and I have something kind of deep to convey, I will take on a more serious tone.

I love using emoticons! :) I often use the smiley face, or the :P face when I'm joking. I actually feel like I'm more expressive online than in real life. :wacko:

So do I. Not that I'm completely emotionless irl, but I am a very mellow and subdued person most of the time. That's just how I roll. Perpetually chill. Funny that I can seem more lively through text on a screen. x)

• Brohoof 3

I always end up using too many periods... I guess it's because I don't want to sound overly enthusiastic, and it just makes me sound not enthusiastic at all.  :maud:

Plus, in real life, I use a lot of hand motions and etc. when I speak, and it's pretty much impossible to portray those in text.

Like MacArthur before me,  I have returned as promised.

I let Crimson and everyone know that I put some effort in having some sync between my present mood and the style I use to type. There is a caveat to that though. If a post is going to be long winded, what happens sometimes is that I get pulled away to do something else. By the time I return I may be in a slightly different mood or mindset, leaving my style a little disjointed. (note ... this is why I do not stop a novel or story mid paragraph).

Also, there is the other online medium of communication - chat. A few of you have Skyped with me. I can be just as casual on skype as I can be here ... but until I know you better I have several rules I follow. For example, I don't swear in chat unless I hear you do it first. This is exactly the same rule I follow in real life. I'm also a little more conversational if there really isn't a purpose to the convo. If I'm working with you on something, I may crack a joke, but I come closer to the more 'professional' version of me in style. If I'm helping with an app, writing, etc ... its more business Jeric ... well mostly. For the most part though,  when I chat I do so like here and IRL.

Also in chat, and some may have noticed this, I will end a conversation like *snaps* that if I am needed elsewhere. I will say why I am done, and be done. If that comes across as rude, I don't know. It may. I'm long winded at times, and can hold a longer conversation, so an abrupt end to it may be odd to those I am talking too.

• Brohoof 3

I use emoticons a lot! Maybe a little more than I should.  :unsure:  But they are a good way to express emotions over the internet!

I mean seriously who even uses that Diamond dog emote?!

The only times I don't really use emoticons is when I'm being stone cold serious, and even then sometimes I'll use  :okiedokielokie: .

• Brohoof 1

I personally like to use emoticons a lot and make sure I have really good grammar when I say something. I don't want people struggling to understand what I'm trying to say because the way I arrange my words (syntax + grammar) is so confusing :unsure: .

I love emoticons! Like, I've used them in 99% of my posts here alone have at least some form of them in them... :wacko:

So yeah, when commenting on things or chatting/texting I certainly use them there as well, to help convey tone. I'm also way better at wordsmithing myself and generally knowing what to say when typing text than when physically talking, I like to think... all the social awkwardness just goes away when the words come straight from the mind for me I guess. :lol:;)

• Brohoof 1

I have tons of people on chat, and i don't know what to do with them :o

I just think its cool to dicuss stuff to people with similar interest. So whether they use a giant cake as an emoticon, then thats fine with me :D

Edited by ShintX

I must admit that even when I'm online it's pretty similar to when I'm talking in person, I'll even include little things such as "er" "um" "Hmm.." and other kinds of silly little pauses!

I think it helps a lot. Emoticons are handy as a substitute for facial expressions though, I must admit! 

• Brohoof 2