Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The most strict teacher you've had

~Sugar Sprinkles~

I am bored, so thought of this. I am not in school anymore, but I started thinking about school in the past.

So, who was the most strict teacher you've ever had? And if you never had a super strict one, who was at least the MOST strict you know? It doesn't have to be BADLY. What did this teacher do? What subject(s) did they teach?

The most strict teacher I have ever had would be my History/Psychology teacher. I had him for 2 years, his name was Mr. Williamson. He was an okay guy outside of school. Come to find out, he went out and partied and drank. I hear from a lot of people, he was decent as a person, but as a teacher, no one liked him. He was pretty strict. You could never talk without him having a fit, he wouldn't let you go to the bathroom that easily unless it was BAD, you couldn't barely joke with him, etc. I think he was just not a morning person, because he always seemed so grumpy, but yet outside of school, he was this cool person.

He was so strict as a teacher.....

Luckily, I've never had a strict teacher. The worst teacher I've had was just the type who wouldn't let you speak. But that was fine, my class that year was annoying anyway.

The most strict teacher I ever had was my 9th grade drafting teacher.  He made an effort to improve our linguistic skills, so every time we said "uh", "um", "like", or "you know", we had to sit on the steel diamondplate steps in the class (it was a shop classroom) and write half a page of lettering.  It not only improved our speaking skills, but our lettering skills, as well.

He also got us into the habit of saving our work regularly.  We would be doing some 3D modeling on our computers, and all of the sudden, he would shut off the power to the computers, shutting everything down.  Then he would ask, "Did you save?"  Needless to say, we quickly learned to save our work frequently.

With all of that, he was easily my favorite teacher up to this point.

• Brohoof 1

Back when I was in school, they still let teachers spank students.  (There was an episode of King of the Hill that went into this).

However, the strictest I ever had was my 3rd grade teacher.  I dared to read ahead in my reading book after finishing my math homework instead of sitting quietly & staring at the wall.  So, I got my hands taped to the desk for the rest of the day & missed recess for my 1st detention.  Principal called my mother & said if it happened again, I'd get expelled.  (My mom wound up running for school board (long story) but they backed off on their threat)

For some reason I had really strict bus drivers. Or at least some of them were. All the bus drivers I had were either petty tyrants or completely chill with nothing in between.

For some reason being a school bus driver makes some people go mad with power.

Requisite Kids in the Hall Sketch:

• Brohoof 1

Does college count?

One female professor last year required s***loads of writing every week, deducted significant points for even the smallest mistakes, and refused to allow any do-overs.

Me escaping her class with an A- overall was beyond a miracle.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

The most strict teacher I can remember was my grade school music teacher. If we didn't play perfect first try, she would make us play over and over again until we got it right. I remember on multiple occasions she forced us to stay 10-15 minutes after the lunch bell had already rung until the entire class could play a line perfectly. Not to mention at one point I made a mistake and she singled me out and outright told me to put down my instrument and just sit quietly for being so horrible, which did wonders for my self-esteem.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

My 6th grade math teacher was quite strict. I was a very well-behaved, authority-fearing student with straight A's; I didn't ever get in trouble... Except in her class. She would get upset if I did anything with my hands when we were supposed to be watching her. Also if I ever said anything, even at a whisper level to someone right across the table from me (like "can I borrow your eraser?"), she'd say something about it and call me out. Ironically, whenever she would call on me to answer, she would always be like, "Speak up, Jenna!" And in my head id be like, "...So you can hear me whispering when you're across the room, but you CAN'T hear me speak normally...?" It would get so frustrating and I'd get so embarrassed repeating myself over and over. I don't even talk quietly. I think she just really didn't like me :/

I don't think being strict is bad. Some would say I'm a strict teacher. But you have to strict about the right things. I don't think a student who doodles quietly during a lecture or dares to whisper something to a tablemate when they need help deserve to be called out in front of the class and embarrassed.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 2

In 4th grade, I had a teacher who was rather unpleasant. Her teaching and grading weren't bad, she would even smile sometimes, but she seemed bitter most of the time like she wanted to yell at people and scowl at them. She was also a nun before ever teaching at my school, and let's just say she's the reason I still don't like nuns very much.

My food tech teacher Mrs kowal, she was strict with how you did your cooking and would u militate you if your finished food that you cooked was crp. If your written work was not to her standard she would rip your work up in front of the whole class. It was like gordan ramseys kitchen.

Personally I never thought my teacher from last year was as bad as people made her out to be. She was nice to me, I only had her for like 2 months since I moved states.

Stalder was known to be quite mean and strict from what I was told by a ton of people. The chick walking me around to my classes while she told me about some of my teachers told me she was praying for me when we got to my ap English door. Literally on the second day of that class my friends were like "I'm surprised you came back. Literally everyone who came in to the class in the middle of the year switched out cause they hated it." No joke, one person switched into the class, asked to go to the bathroom and never came back.

Edited by Cupcakes14
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I've ever had a strict teacher, except for my current art teacher. She gets mad when we get up without asking. Heck, she even sent some girl to the office just because she was picking up a piece of paper from the floor that she dropped. Don't get me wrong, she can be nice, but most of the time she's yelling at students. I don't blame her though, our class can be pretty chaotic. :muffins:

We also have a running gag that the teacher gave my friend "ebola" just for accidentally coughing when she was standing next to her. :P

My music teacher from back in Secondary School was a nightmare to deal with.. She actually made me hate music as a subject for a while. Everything with her was to the book and if you ever messed with instruments in any way without her permission it was like you'd just vulgarly insulted her. She refused to take anyone else's opinions, she was always in the right and us kiddo's could basically never have anything coherent to say by her idea.. I love music as a kind of freedom of expression but she was like the absolute worst thing I could've gotten in counter to that.

Probably my psych teacher

But that makes him all the better for it. He was right about everything in college. I'm really grateful that he was so strict because it gave me a new level of preparation. 

Now, there's difference between being strict and being a dick, kids. I've had a few that were both and that just doesn't work ;) Your teacher making you think critically about things is a good thing, a very good thing.

I remember writing this on the worst teacher you've ever had, but my eighth grade Algebra 1 teacher. Berated me in class for not knowing answers, made me look like a fool constantly, and made me cry a few times. He just said it was tough love, but wow was he mean. After that, I never liked math again.

English 100 teacher in college, he would rip you apart for the slightest mistake; I remember alot of lectures where we would actually read previously submitted essays in class and he would jump on the slightest mistake. He was quite hilarious though, he once joke about this local place being "a great place to get STD's". He wasn't mean or anything he was just a hardass perfectionist who also happened to be a bit of a smartass.

Most strict teacher? Definitely my choir/voice teacher at college. She's very particular, and can give you some serious tongue-burn if you tick her off. However, when you meet her expectations she's very nice and a wonderful person, and she can give you some killer recommendations when you apply for 4-year colleges.

My third grade teacher was the worse.

We'd have math homework in these workbooks. You take them home, you do what you need to do, you bring them back the next morning in a tray. Her method of finding out who didn't do their homework was to have us all stand, and she'll start calling out the names of those who had their work turned in. People whose names she called sat down; kids who didn't do it continued standing in shame until she was done, to walk to her desk for her to write notes for parents. That absolutely ruined me.

She needed parent signatures every night to verify that we did what we were supposed to. I lived with my grandma, who is disabled. She would sign the paper for me. And whenever my teacher looked at it, she'd say, "What do you think this is? A joke? Did a toddler scribble this?"

Overall, she acted like she hated her job. She'd yell half the time, and school-appropriately cussed us all out. She grabbed one of my classmates by the collar of his shirt, once, to yell at him- he was an 8 year old with ADHD. Yeah. She believed strongly in negative reinforcement, and it certainly took a toll on me.

For me, there are two candidates for that, and out of respect to them I won't mention their names.

One was my high school algebra teacher. Unlike most math teachers, she really stuck with one certain path to figuring out problems. That made it REALLY hard for someone like me to grasp her teaching methods. I NEVER got an A or B in her class, and I'm someone who normally gets As & Bs in ALL of my classes. Hell, I was failing her class at one point, and I was stumped. I even attended her tutoring sessions, and while I got problems solved, I never understood her methods. I'm thankful I passed with a C in that class. To be fair I think she knew that I was trying, and I mean REALLY trying, so she was sympathetic, but was still very strict in her style.

However, my high school computer teacher was probably worse. While I did fine in the class grade-wise, the way he ran his classes was NOTHING like I had seen before or since. Specifically, he ran by the creed that we were NOT allowed to ask questions in his class. If we even raised our hand he would tell us to put it down. If we missed ONE thing from his lesson, he'd tell us too bad. He ran by the belief that "your employer expects you to know everything from day one, they do not like questions, and they will not help or train you on the job."

HOW do you believe something like that! I have never, or at least rarely, heard of a work-place that works like that! NEVER! >_<