• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

Only recently, January 2016. I started watching it because my sister was watching it. And after I read all my mlp trading cards all over again and realized how little I knew...

Welp, 

Most definitely the music! Lots of great talent out there!  :P

Initially I had come across a mix put together by the Official DJpon3 mix artist while looking for some background music to study with. This was followed by a curiosity of "okay...what is the big deal about this mlp cartoon?"

That summer I had made a couple of CDs with bits of the fandom's music to help make the daily hour commute a bit more bearable. What can I say, I was "hooked"!  :derp:

-EF

I'd like to think I learned about the show the best way, on my own terms. I found a picture on the internet, wondering what it was. I learned it was a new My Little Pony, but it was made by Lauren Faust the producer for Powerpuff Girls. So I gave it a try (first one was Fall Weather Friends) and I liked it. I watched the rest of the episodes of Season 1 that was out at the time and I loved it too.

On the MLaaTR Rebooted forums, I was a huge fan of My Life as a Teenage Robot, then this one member was like "I think you'd like the series Overlord." On the My Little Pony topic. So I started watching the series. I didn't really understand why I was watching the show for the first bit, until after the tenth episode or so. I just loved the amazing quality and silly comedy throughout. :D Been a proud brony ever since.

I don't remember, but I think it was around the end of season 4 and beginning of season 5. I saw a video where he was watching a Deathbattle between Starscream and Rainbow Dash.

Before it started, he said he was a brony, and after seeing how RD beat Starscream, I went and marathoned the series on Netflix, and that was it. I finally admitted it to myself and joined up here, not to mention helping out at Whinny City con.

I work in support, so there are many days where I listen to the music (especially Pinkie's smile song) and it makes me forget about the stress of the day, something that I haven't been able to find many other ways.

• Brohoof 1

I became one because my sister started watching it. At first I hated this show. But my sister watched it so much that I started to like it.

I've been following the creations of the fandom for a while, but haven't actually watched the show until recently.  Marathoned the first 4 seasons in 2 days, realized it was an interesting binge, and I didn't really think I would gravitate to it (Considering the thing that caught my attention was the PMV "Rainbow Factory").  Then I ran into Applejack, Queen Chrysalis, Big Macintosh, and I was starting to gravitate towards these characters. 

Seeing all this creativity of the fanbase, and I consider myself a doodler, I thought I may use to as a reason to branch off and get back into illustrating.  Hopefully, what I come up with is worth while.

• 2 weeks later...

Being the generally negative person I am, I decided to watch the show out of spite. I had been neutral on it since the birth of bronies, since I had no real interaction with any of this and therefore no reason to have an opinion on it; so I thought I'd start it up to find a reason to hate it. Instead of a show like any other kids show, I found clever writing, fluid animation, and countless reasons to love it. I watched the first 13 episodes on some random streaming website, and I eventually decided to pirate it, not realizing the show had quietly snuck into my heart. 

Cut to march, 2016, I bought the first four seasons on DVD, and that's when I realized I had become a brony. Since then, I've been happily, and secretly, enjoying my new-found fandom.

• Brohoof 1

June 2013 by complete chance.

I stumbled upon a YouTube video about the brony fandom and explaining the show a little bit. Then out of curiousity I gave the show a chance and watched a few episodes.. It all went from there really. I got completely hooked to ponies and here I am today! ^^

• Brohoof 1

As of writing this, I have 99 active posts. This post will bring me up to 100 posts, which is something of a milestone, as well as a new rank, Parasprite. So I figured I would use this post to tell my story of becoming a Brony.

I first found out about this fandom around 2012. A youtuber I was subscribed to had a playlist of all the episodes up to that point. The description said it was his favorite show of all time. I thought, huh, he's kidding right? My Little Pony? I eventually found out that there was an entire fandom for the show. At first I thought it a bit strange, and made fun of it a bit, but as time went on I realized that it didn't make any sense to make fun of people for watching a show.

Fast forward to early last year. At this point, my stance on the fandom was "I'm not part of it, but I respect it." I was pretty bored one day, and had basically nothing to do. I decided to start watching a new show, as I do sometimes when I'm bored. After some consideration I decided "Meh, I got nothing better to do, let's see if My Little Pony is actually any good." I watched the pilot and a few more episodes that night, and I thought it was pretty good. As I watched more of season 1, I started liking it more and more, until the end of the season, by which point I officially loved the show. It was at this point I realized "Holy crap, I guess I'm a Brony!"

And that's my story. Like I said, this brings me up to 100 posts, so here's to 100 more!

A long time ago. I first learned about MLP trough random posts and videos popping up on youtube and google, and at first I hated it. Like most did.

I actually made a drawing of a Weavile holding the chopped off and bloody head of Pinkie Pie in her paw, and a knife in the other. Yeah, I was that much against getting MLP showed in my face whenever I checked my youtube feed or visited forums around the web, also with profile pictures everywhere and sprays in TF2. Like, guys, really?

So one day after I was done at school, I come home, crank up my laptop, make me some food, and sit down, wanting to watch something while I eat. Finding nothing though, I think to challenge myself; "Dude, why don't give it a shot? Let's see how bad it really is."

So I watched the first episode. And the second. Then the third. And onwards.

Today I own plushies, comics, clothes, wristbands, talk to other bronies online, have a picture folder of nothing but MLP art from Deviant, got lots of brony youtubers in my subscriptions, tries to voice act characters, and can't wait for season 5 of this goddamn amazing show to be released.

What happened!?

Hehe, you got sucked in. Welcome

I was watching some youtube gameplay videos of an old game, and then i saw some related videos with ponies instead of the game's character (one modded with fluttershy and one with rainbow dash).

At first i didnt think much of it (I didnt even know what MLP was), so i looked at the comments and saw some people bashing the mod and complaining that everything is being "ponified".

I found it halirious, so I started watching some related videos on youtube (Pokemon MLP, Yugioh MLP etc...).

After a week or so i finally decided to start watching a few episodesof the show, just for a good laugh.

It wasnt as bad or as childlish as I thought it would be, so i continued untill the end of season 1.

It was pretty good, but I still didnt find it good enough for people to like it THIS much.

Only after getting to the second half of season 2 and watching episodes like "Hurrican Fluttershy" and "A Canterlot Wedding" i really started to appreciate the show and like it as much as i do now.

• Brohoof 1

T'was back in the day, when the only thing I looked forward to was school assignments and homework. I was sittin' in the middle of class and my friend leans over and asks if Ive ever heard of Rainbow Factory, and of I course say no. Then after some convincing, I eventually look it up, oblivious to the fact that it is related to MLP in anyway, it takes a while, but I do finish it and enjoyed it.

Then about a month later, I search it up on YouTube (I don't know why) and I come across the BronyDanceParty PMV. This was the first time I've heard the song and I thouroughly enjoyed it. Then I decided to watch the Beyond Her Tomb PMV, which I also enjoyed, and this was before watching the show.

When I did watch the show the first ep I saw was Games Ponies Play, at the time I was thinking "what am I doing?!"

I got a third into the ep and was engrossed into the animation and the voice acting, so I decided to watch the series from the beginning.

So I marathoned the first three seasons and this is where I am now! :)

It was around July of 2015, quite recently, in the scheme of things. I knew about the large following the show had, and while I found it strange, I just left it alone. And then, one day, I watched the Pony.Mov series (strange place to start, isn't it?) Afterwards, I decided "why not" and watched an episode, and another, and another, and then another. Eventually, within a month, I had watched all the episodes up to that point (I think it was in the 1st half of Season 5 at that point). I liked it, but I thought "well, it looks like the show's pretty good, but I'm NOT gonna be one of those people who read the fanfiction, or watch videos about it, etc". And then, sure enough, I started reading Fallout:Equestria out of curiosity. It was great, and changed my perspective on fanfiction. Most of it is still terrible, but there's gems out there...  :)

Edited by Mr Unknown

on a saturday morning, I was on a couch watching tv. There was nothing good on so i went to the hub channel and watched the mlp episode Sleepless in ponyvile out of boredom. After watching that episode, I started to take an interest in the series

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I touched on this briefly in my intro post, I figured I should post a more in-depth explanation here-it was mid-December 2013, and I was at my mall's Hot Topic. And....I don't quite know what it was that struck me about MLP there, but seeing all it's merch alongside merchandise from things I liked, like Doctor Who & Adventure Time, got me curious. And while it took me a while to work up the nerve, I finally binged the first season on Netflix, and it was all downhill from there!

• 2 weeks later...

on a saturday morning, I was on a couch watching tv. There was nothing good on so i went to the hub channel and watched the mlp episode Sleepless in ponyvile out of boredom. After watching that episode, I started to take an interest in the series

That was the episode that made me love the show

• 2 weeks later...

I started watching My Little Pony around the time Magical Mystery Cure came out, so February 2013.

It was my first year in college and I was playing an online game in my dorm's computer lab (small lab, 4-5 computers). My roommate came in and was trying to bug me and distract me from my game. He got on the computer next to me and started playing the MLP extended intro pretty loud. It was kinda catchy and I started listening to it in the background while gaming the next day. I decided to give the first episode a try and before I knew it I was on episode 5, and the rest is history.

That roommate I had actually hadn't watched it yet, we ended up turning each other brony at the same time.

• Brohoof 2

Well, back in 2012 I've always been a fond of watching gmod videos, back when SFM wasn't even that popular. Some of it contained ponies and throughly mentioned the word 'Brony.' I didn't even know what that is, nevermore the fanbase. I was completely oblivious to it. I also had never heard of the show then. It was until 2015 when I stumble myself on a pony video. I got curious, so I checked out the show. I was surprised to know that there was a fanbase behid it. I thought it was weird for adults to watch a cartoon horse show, so I gave it a shot myself, as if it was a challenge not to turn into a Brony. I failed the challenge XD and after a couple of few episodes, I got instantly hooked to it. Finished all of them. All 5 seasons. And here I am, writing pony stories, didn't even know I write that good. If it weren't for MLP, I wouldn't have been a writer XD

Well, back in 2012 I've always been a fond of watching gmod videos, back when SFM wasn't even that popular. Some of it contained ponies and throughly mentioned the word 'Brony.' I didn't even know what that is, nevermore the fanbase. I was completely oblivious to it. I also had never heard of the show then. It was until 2015 when I stumble myself on a pony video. I got curious, so I checked out the show. I was surprised to know that there was a fanbase behid it. I thought it was weird for adults to watch a cartoon horse show, so I gave it a shot myself, as if it was a challenge not to turn into a Brony. I failed the challenge XD and after a couple of few episodes, I got instantly hooked to it. Finished all of them. All 5 seasons. And here I am, writing pony stories, didn't even know I write that good. If it weren't for MLP, I wouldn't have been a writer XD

• Brohoof 1

I was up early before work and my roommate at the time had it on TV. I didn't think much about it, assuming it was just another morning cartoon show. But I couldn't turn away from it and very nearly ended up late for my job! 

The episode was 'Lesson Zero' and it remains one of my top three (right behind 'Magical Mystery Cure' and 'Crusaders of the Lost Mark'). 

What a way to start the day! (Not to mention the rest of my life!) 

• Brohoof 2

It was July 2011. Buncha my friends wanted to watch it while we were hanging out. I think the first episode I ever saw was "Party of One", and we were all busting up at Pinkie going crazy :lol: We also watched "Griffon the Brush Off", then I went home and watched the rest of season 1. Have been hooked since.

• Brohoof 1

I joined the herd last year in October because of Screw attacks death battle of RainbowDash and Starscream.At first I ignored mlp but then that death battle kept coming into my head and then I decided to actually give the show a chance and once I did I was immediately hooked and the only thing I regret is not watching mlp sooner.

Edited by Midnight Seashell
  • Brohoof 2