• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

I was on the internet doing nothing (as usual) when I see a video of a game related to ponies, I watched the video and I became interested about the show, so I started researching on the show, and here I am.

• Brohoof 1

Now that I think about it, I can remember it having something to do with first watching a pony parody video and later checking out some of the episodes. Pretty much the usual way. It was enough to convince me to watch more. I quickly grew fond of the show as well as the characters, so I also begun to draw them. They weren't masterpieces during that time but at least I had fun. 

Even before that though, I had seen a bunch of pony pictures going around the internet and I got interested because the old ponies I had as a kid had changed so much.

I think I might be the most recent one to join the herd. Here's my story.

Sometime in February of 2016, while lurking on YouTube, I saw a video called "Animated Atrocities," by a YouTuber called TheMysteriousMrEnter, pop up in the recommended videos pane.

Out of curiosity, I clicked on it and watched. I liked the video series enough to continue watching more and more episodes, and along the way I noticed how Mr. Enter was blatant about himself being a brony.

I wondered to myself, "what is so great about MLP that caused such a huge fanbase?"

By the time I started wondering this, it was already midway through March. I had read some basic background information about the show from various websites, and I decided "hey, maybe I should give it a shot."

So, on March 28th, I sat down at my computer, pulled up KissCartoon, found MLP, and started off fairly enough at the very beginning, watching it with an open mind. After watching a few episodes, I found the show to be plenty good enough to warrant such a large and devoted legion of fans.

"And that's how Equestria was made!"

• Brohoof 1

I don't even remember when it was, but it started on a sunday after church. we were bored so we loaded up netflix and watched the first two episodes, and poof. We watch the show almost every day now. Me and my fam.

• Brohoof 1

To think its been five years since i started watching the show. Wow this feels weird looking back. 
Saw tons of pony memes infecting every forum i went to. Watched it only to get in on the jokes, well jokes on me i love this show.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never cared about My Little Pony much, or ponies in general. However, I have a love for cuteness and girly stuff, so when a close, long time friend of mine (who also has an account here on this very forum) told me about the show, my reaction was probably different than most. It wasn't the fact that it was girly, or the fact that it was aimed at kids (to give you an idea, I also happened to like Hello Kitty, Littlest Pet Shop and Neopets). It was just that ponies didn't interest me, though I did like unicorns. I wasn't interested much in seeing the show yet. This was around spring 2011, I believe.

When I went to stores like Wal-Mart, I almost always took a trip down the "pink isle", since I loved collecting cute toys. One day while I was there I happened to see the MLP brushables and one of them caught my eye. A Rarity brushable, who was a Unicorn and had beautiful purple hair that reminded me of Evanescence for some reason. I liked it so much that I got it, and then I tried the show. At the time, probably still around spring 2011, I was mainly into the toys. I saw some eps and liked them, though I wasn't interested in the brony community yet.

Then in October 2011 I got access to the Hub channel, and everything changed. I started watching the eps, both old and new, as they were recorded on the DVR. At first the adorable, beautiful and amazing art and animation drew me in. The wonderful writing got me hooked. Then the community and the feelings I had kept me there. I gradually became a bigger and bigger fan, and one day I realized something wonderful; I was a brony! I've been a brony ever since, and I have loads and loads of MLP merch and such. FiM is my favorie show and it and the fandom in general have done so much for me over the years. It helped me endure some of the worst times of my life, sometimes even turning some of the worst times into better, even good times. I have schizophrenia and MLP gave me hope in so many dark times, and helped me learn how to cope with the horrors of my illness. In the three hospital stays I've had since 2012, I always managed to keep ponies in my life even then. I couldn't watch the show or use the internet at the hospital, but I had coloring books to color in, comics to read, ponies to draw during art therapy, and toys to brighten up my hospital room. I'm not sure what I would have done without MLP in my life.

Back in 2011; I was going to watch Jimmy Neutron or Spongebob but my sister was watching Over a Barrel (which I had mistaken for Fairly Odd Parents at the point I had walked in and wondered why every thing was more colorful than usual and what's up with the style of the train), and since I liked trains (still do), I continued to watch for a moment until I saw the ponies, so I was confused about the show. At that point, I decided to continue watching instead of bolting from the room (I usually ran every time the theme song played but it was not fast enough), and so I have been watching MLP:FIM ever since. At first I did not know about the fandom until mid 2012 (and have not seen or heard from the brony responsible for me finding TF2 ponies, EQD, and the rest of the fanbase since 2013). I was not part of any Brony groups until a few days ago, and I have had a slight interest in G3 again since 2005.

I am a late, late, LATE bloomer when it comes to being a Brony.
I had been watching some of the MLP Reviews on Youtube (Mainly Joshscorcher) for a year but it wasn't until April of THIS YEAR that I decided to finally watch an episode of the series and after a fortnight of watching the entire Show from Season 1 to the end of Season 5 I became a brony. 

I think it all began with me being a kid who always liked to watch cartoons which has animals involved (like bugs bunny, donald duck and many others) that tends to lead to cartoons from the 80’s & 90’s (like count duckula, garfield, tmnt, etc), yeah I love animals, specially mammals. One of my hobbies is drawing and since I like animals so much, I lurked for some advice in that area, letting me know the furry fandom and getting myself immerse into it a lot of time ago.

By the time MLP came to TV, I was pretty busy working and studying at the university, so it wasn’t until now that I get used to the fact it is a very good show and there is a fandom behind it.

What I liked the most about this community is the acceptance and kindness of its members.
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of season 1 back in 2010 with my cousin just for fun then in june of this year i watched a brony tale the documentary by Ashleigh Ball and it reminded me why i watched those 2 or 3 episodes back in 2010 now i am all caught up with season 5 and some of season 6

Somewhere in the latter half of 2013. I binge-watched the first three series on Netflix, then caught up with season four through wholly legitimate means (*shifty eyes*). I'd been aware of the show and its fandom for a couple of years prior (thanks to the Fluttershy Dragonshy meme mostly), but I didn't have the opportunity to actually watch it until then.

I was babysitting for one of my neighbors and the little kid love MLP so she made me watch everyday and I really liked it so I watched some at home too.

It sort of happened over a long period of time.

I've been familiar with the show since season 1. My little sister loves the show. Every once in a while, I would watch it with her when I was bored, but I never really payed too much attention to it. I would sit on the couch on my phone and kind of watch it in the background. I didn't consider myself a brony because, even though I thought the show was good, I didn't like it enough to watch it on my own or participate in the community.

When I truly was like "this show is awesome" was when I started noticing some of the references to other things I liked. I thought it was cool they had a character based off of Dr Who and another character based off of Indiana Jones. The real one was when I noticed theses guys:

post-35640-0-79396400-1467440038_thumb.jpg

The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie, and I've never seen any show (let alone a kids show) reference it. I thought that was awesome. After that i started paying more attention to the show when my sister was watching it and realized I actually liked it.

But then I sort of forgot about the show for a while until I started seeing stuff about it more often online and at stores like Hot Topic. Eventually, I got curious and started looking into the community online. It's the community that really pulled me in. THAT'S when I started considering myself a brony.

• 2 weeks later...

I began watching the show for a bit while channel surfing ,  It's About Time was the first episode that I properly watched. I can't say when I first became a brony, I remember seeing a trailer for the crystal empire later on and being awstroke, but that was on british TV, so I don't know when it was. I was introduced to the concept of a brony through youtube, and found a great community and a way to identify myself. I started watching episodes online and on Netflix and amazon prime, and I've been a brony since

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of a strange thing, saw people with pony avatar pics on facebook and i am like wtf. Then i start ranting with things like " Whats with the pony pictures " it got me so upset that i decide to watch generation 4 with a disgust look at the show. Strangely the show turn it around after i watch a few episode. Fast forward to today and i can't wait till a new episode hits.

It was Jul, 2015, in my summer vacation.

My friends were discussing the MLP stuff and sending several MLP memes and pics, I asked the one with a pink pony in his personal sign that what's that funny stuff? They soon sent me the links to the episode and saying how great, awesome MLP it is. I was not interested in that looked like a 'girly and stupid stuff' as the childlish, unbearable and IQ-damaing cartoons on my country's TV.

I remember it's a sunday afternoon, i had done enough with my homework, and idk what could i did, the MLP flew up to my mind. I checked the links my friends sent and watched some episodes, OMG, it is really good! I can't believe it! I love a show for little girls! How could it possible?

I think I should talk about my school life, our brain-missing government says we shall go to school for 12 years(6~18), learning the useless stuff we completely not interested in and 

stay in school over 12 hours

well i should avoid keeping complaining how bad the education system is in my country.

After I watched the episode that CMC first met, the Twilight said a ultra classic sentence:

"..you can enjoy the learning..." (kinda like that, maybe).

Regardless, 99% teenagers in my country are blank-flank because the adults always telling us:

"Study, stusdy, a, take grade so you'll be successed"(completety bullshit).

And we ARE NOT ENJOY WHAT WE ARE LEARNING NOW.

Twilight!!! Are you satirizing me :(

Soon i realized...MLP is not just a cartoon, the story is not only good, but also super meaningful!

God, I loved this show so much ! I can't stop watching MLP, I even forgot to grab my dinner that day.

Loving the show so I'm a brony? NO

Loving the show can only be a FAN, after I finished the MLP:FIM, I asked my friends where can I find more poines, they introduced me this amazing fandom, so many things to watch, impossible to see all through...it means: UNLIMITED PONIES!

I become a brony since I understood the histroy of MLP, from the 4chan, /mlp/...to now, the world really leaked the love and tolerate, so I made my mind, start to tolerate the haters(very hard, though)

and start connect the whole world.

• Brohoof 1

I became a brony back in August of 2015. The events leading up the that quiet Sunday night were difficult to trace, but it all started back in March of 2013. One of my friends had told me that he was a brony. Unaware of the term, I went back home and did a little digging, and I found out that there was an entire culture of adults who enjoyed and watched the show. However, it was not enough to pique my interest. Flash forward two years later when a different friend of mine brought up the term again, reminding me that this was very much a thing. He did so by directing me to an online reviewer whose series went under the name Headhunter Reviews. In these reviews, he used Rainbow Dash recolors to express his emotions while talking. This gave me an idea of the art style the show put forth, and I found it very intriguing as well as aesthetically pleasing. Then, on August 16, 2015, I looked up the songs from the show on Youtube just out of curiosity. I was introduced to a world of fantastic songwriting. And so it was that I became a brony; not by watching one of the episodes, but by inspired songwriting and a visually pleasing art style. I had no qualms about bingeing every single episode over the next several days.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, I know, Equestria Daily already did it, but this is a different community, so it'd just be a little something interesting! Self explanatory, what month did you officially become a Brony? I can't remember exactly when I did, but I'm thinking it was somewhere around May.

are you...okay your twitching violently. are you going spontaneously combust? yes...no...maybe.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't remember exactly when, I think it was mid-summer 2015. I remember browsing different animations and found a mlp one, it was a disturbing one, not the smile one btw. But after, I remember being like 'man, this is a really popular show, I wonder what it's really like', so I watched the first two episodes and huzzah! A brony was born!