Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will we ever see an actual MLP novel?

ManaMinori

Preferably one for MLP:FIM and one for EQG (Specifically Sunset Shimmer). I mean, so far, a long 5 years into the series, we've only gotten either journals, character & wordbuilding compilation, or short chapter/ activity page books. I wonder if we'll ever see a nice, meaty novel. I'm talking 25 chapters AT LEAST, with each chapter having about 10 pages, and each page having around 250 words a page. So around 62,500 words, and no quick, one-day read, like the type of child-play books that already exist.

Frankly, I'd love it even more if such MLP (or EQG) novels were given in sequels or trilogy's; competing with the length of fanworks, such as FoE or its spinoffs. What do you guys think?

Well, there's the comic series, which are twenty-four pages a piece, and there has already been thirty issues released (and it's still ongoing), which gives you a total of 720 pages. That's pretty lengthy.

There's also fanfiction if you'd prefer something non-illustrated. Some of the lengthiest My Little Pony fanfictions I know of are Fallout Equestria, Past Sins, and The Life and Times of a Winning Pony, and all of those are great reads.

But yeah, while I'm satisfied with that; it would be cool to see official novels.

• Brohoof 2

Well, there's the comic series, which are twenty-four pages a piece, and there has already been thirty issues released (and it's still ongoing), which gives you a total of 720 pages. That's pretty lengthy.

There's also fanfiction if you'd prefer something non-illustrated. Some of the lengthiest My Little Pony fanfictions I know of are Fallout Equestria, Past Sins, and The Life and Times of a Winning Pony, and all of those are great reads.

But yeah, while I'm satisfied with that; it would be cool to see official novels.

well comics are mostly picture books. Sure, there's text, but I really wouldn't even begin to compare it to a novel in terms of page bulk or weighty reading. Fanfiction is completely out of the question, because it's non-official.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the publications we have so far, it's just what we have isn't catering to the people who might want a meal rather than appetizers (I mean, even the Daring Do book trilogy was pretty much light reading, and padded out with short chapters with massive font)

That would be cool but I'm not sure there would be enough of a market for it. MLP fans are mostly little kids or people in their teen and early twenties and I get the feeling they don't read much.

Also think about how I story that big would effect the show.

• Brohoof 3

Novels would be interesting, but Fluttershutter makes a good point - a novel length story would have a massive impact on the show. Honestly, the best possible option would be to finish the canon with a novel or novel series, SO LONG AS IT STAYS CONCISE!

I love MLP, but its best for a show/story concept to end well than push on long after it has gone stale......*cough* Once Upon A Time *cough* The Simpsons *cough*.....sorry about that, had something horribly stale in my throat.

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly hope so but since the original MLP was aimed at children who probably didn't have the attention span for novels it doesn't seem likely. But it would be AMAZING if it happened.

I can't see an official novel coming out, but I have read Past Sins. Now that is novel length, style and incredibly well written. I don't read many fanfics but Past Sins just made me love the fandom more. 

It is not entirely outside the realm of possibility but is a tad unlikely. Since MLP is regarded as a "kids show" the books though they can technically be called novels aren't as long as what you are describing here. Also people just don't read as much as they used to which is actually not a good thing and rather ironic considering that Twilight is a total bookworm and is one of the most popular ponies. A graphic novel is a tad more likely, for those of you that don't know a graphic novel is like a regular comic except for its length being a tad longer.

• 1 month later...

I'd love it, but I don't see it as being likely.  Or if one does ever come out in an "official" sense, I don't see it being canon.  This may not bother most, but if something is mass market and has permission from Hasbro... I really like it to be canon.  Maybe I'm just being a bit to uptight about it.  Though I have no problem with unofficial, non canonical works.

The books are aimed at 6+ kids, I don't think you're going to find a market for LOTR level books here.

Habro or whoever makes the books knows there's older fans, some of which are parents to the younger ones, and fans themselves. They wouldn't know if an MLP novel would sell to them, until they try, though.

Habro or whoever makes the books knows there's older fans, some of which are parents to the younger ones, and fans themselves. They wouldn't know if an MLP novel would sell to them, until they try, though.

yes, but the thing is they wouldn't know it WOULD sell either; and hasbro's shown itself to be incredibly timid when it comes to taking risks if they don't have good assurances of a profit.

It took them all the way to NOW to get a movie in the works, and the show's peak was S4.

So I don't see hasbro execs being brave enough to try

yes, but the thing is they wouldn't know it WOULD sell either; and hasbro's shown itself to be incredibly timid when it comes to taking risks if they don't have good assurances of a profit.

It took them all the way to NOW to get a movie in the works, and the show's peak was S4.

So I don't see hasbro execs being brave enough to try

no risk, no reward. They had to try all what they did so far, without knowing if it'd be successful, didn't they? The entire magcal pony idea, Equestria Girls, etc.

I am still unsure how these do not qualify.

0GInM.jpg

first of all, it's based off a crossver between two completely diffeent series. Secondly, it's fanwork, not officially made by the company who own ponies.

first of all, it's based off a crossver between two completely diffeent series. Secondly, it's fanwork, not officially made by the company who own ponies.

It's still an "actual MLP novel".  I see where you're coming from, but in my opinion we already have novels.

It's still an "actual MLP novel".  I see where you're coming from, but in my opinion we already have novels.

it's more Fallout than it is MLP, though, so it's not an actual MLP novel, in My opinion.

But I guess we can agree to disagree

no risk, no reward. They had to try all what they did so far, without knowing if it'd be successful, didn't they? The entire magcal pony idea, Equestria Girls, etc.

actually I'll disagree with you there. They had a very good idea that Equestria girls could provide profit due to looking at Monster high; they went in with data about how much little girls will buy humanoid girl dolls, and were aiming to poach that from Mattelle (hence the monster high styled art used for advertising).

I don't think equestria girls was a shot in the dark so much as a VERY carefully calculated move on hasbro's part with lots of assurances and data that it would yield a profit.