Did you like it?  

491 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

With the episode being oh-so crowded and busy, there was bound to be some moments that were hit or miss. Here we will talk about what we liked and disliked about it. Let me make clear this is NOT meant to mimic the review thread, but a place to go into more/personal detail about the "ups" and "downs" of the episode.

What I liked

Cranky and Matilda

Muffins

Especially since this is how I always thought of her personally: well-intentioned, but not-well-planned. Heck, the invitation mix-up could've happened to anyone!

Doc

I was actually dreading him getting some scenes, but that went MUCH better than I thought. They didn't bury us under Dr. Who references, and I for am GLAD he wasn't voiced by Tennant, which makes things more fun and interesting. I just love how they gave us a middle ground and had him be a total science geek.

Amethyst Star

Ya gotta love how they gave some depth and personality to a character even the fans never cared about. :D  

Steven Magnet

Bon-Bon

If making her a secret agent wasn't funny enough, using her other name REALLY got me! :lol:

What I didn't like

The Flower trio being flanderised

Them freaking out and fainting was funny in "Applebuck Season", but now it was just old. Especially after it being done to death in fan labor.

"Big Lebowski" references

It's a little personal because I don't like TBL (come at me, bros!), but it just felt awkward and inappropriate to me. Not used to random pop culture references here either.

Lyra & Bon-Bon's relationship.

I could live with them being best friends if I hadn't clearly smelled the yuri in their scenes...

Gummy

Reminded me too much of TBL as well. Not to mention the annoying narrators from other Cohen Bros. movies... :okiedokielokie:

Steven telling Matilda the wedding is what mattered

Not cool, Steve. Not cool. ESPECIALLY with that expression he had when he said it!\

Shining Armor, Cadence, and the Royal Sisters popping up in a story they had NO place in. Not to mention not helping out the Mane 6 (I'm used to that from Celestia, but not the rest :okiedokielokie:)

What about you guys? I'm sure we have at least SOME mixed feelings about this one and here's the place to talk about it.

• Brohoof 3

I didn't watch this and probably won't. But were Lyra and Bon Bon confirmed lesbians? I saw a screencap of them hugging.

They refer to one another as "best friends". Whether they're lesbians is left open; it depends on your interpretation of what exactly they meant by that.

Thing that did bother me most in episode is this: why are Equestrian royalties attending wedding of typical citizen? 

• Brohoof 1

There is having opinions, which i am fine with and then there is acting like an elitist; who thinks that he knows everything better then the others, who apparently "just eat things up."

You should stop that, because it makes you look like an unlikeable person

You can feel free not to like me and call me an elitist if you choose. It doesn't change how I feel. Do I feel like people are too easily pleased by fan service? Yes, I do. Does that change the validity of their opinions? No, it doesn't. If you enjoy the episode, don't let people like me stop you. I don't really care, nor do I think I'm better than you because you do, because I'd have to know a person more closely before I can make that judgement. Everyone has different opinions, so quality is in the eye of the beholder. There are times where I have also have been moved by fan service and eaten it all up. I'd even refer to it with the same terms - as eating my own fudge cake. It's just for this show, it doesn't work for me. Others have more investment than that, and I understand.

Next time, I'll have to word things more carefully and less harshly. So I'll fix that here:

Episode was decent, but not my cup of tea. I think people's overenthusiasm is silly and amusing because I saw it coming the moment I heard about the episode and it's funny sometimes when things are predictable.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They refer to one another as "best friends". Whether they're lesbians is left open; it depends on your interpretation of what exactly they meant by that.

Thing that did bother me most in episode is this: why are Equestrian royalties attending wedding of typical citizen?

Because confirmed Celestia and Luna are best background ponies lol

(that and "its good to be the princess"es)

Edited by Argumedies

With the episode being oh-so crowded and busy, there was bound to be some moments that were hit or miss. Here we will talk about what we liked and disliked about it. Let me make clear this is NOT meant to mimic the review thread, but a place to go into more/personal detail about the "ups" and "downs" of the episode.

What I liked

Cranky and Matilda

Muffins

Especially since this is how I always thought of her personally: well-intentioned, but not-well-planned. Heck, the invitation mix-up could've happened to anyone!

Doc

I was actually dreading him getting some scenes, but that went MUCH better than I thought. They didn't bury us under Dr. Who references, and I for am GLAD he wasn't voiced by Tennant, which makes things more fun and interesting. I just love how they gave us a middle ground and had him be a total science geek.

Amethyst Star

Ya gotta love how they gave some depth and personality to a character even the fans never cared about. :D

Steven Magnet

Bon-Bon

If making her a secret agent wasn't funny enough, using her other name REALLY got me! :lol:

What I didn't like

Them freaking out and fainting was funny in "Applebuck Season", but now it was just old. Especially after it being done to death in fan labor.

It's a little personal because I don't like TBL (come at me, bros!), but it just felt awkward and inappropriate to me. Not used to random pop culture references here either.

I could live with them being best friends if I hadn't clearly smelled the yuri in their scenes...

Gummy

Reminded me too much of TBL as well. Not to mention the annoying narrators from other Cohen Bros. movies... :okiedokielokie:

Not cool, Steve. Not cool. ESPECIALLY with that expression he had when he said it!\

Shining Armor, Cadence, and the Royal Sisters popping up in a story they had NO place in. Not to mention not helping out the Mane 6 (I'm used to that from Celestia, but not the rest :okiedokielokie:)

What about you guys? I'm sure we have at least SOME mixed feelings about this one and here's the place to talk about it.

Why does MLP keep doing this, Sonic Rainboom, Green isn't your colour, Filli Vanilli and now this. It's a joke that seems more in place for Spongebob or Family Guy than MLP.
  • Brohoof 1

honstly i was expecting worst

So you are saying you had a bugbear? ;)

Cranky apparently gets around :D

Actually this is simple to answer. Prior to the attack, Pinkie Pie was the wedding planner. It helps when your wedding planner knows all the Princesses and has actively saved the world.   The invitations were sent out before the attack, sooo there you go. 

, your topic was a general review of the episode instead of discussing a specific element. I moved it into the actual episode discussion topic. You could also blog that post as well. :)

It's cute if that is if this will be the only episode that Hasbro will f*ck up, but they better not continue this gross heavy pandering BS. Also I love Ditzy's new voice better, her voice matches her personality more. Oh! Mute Vinyl Scratch is cannon. Hooray for nonverbal ponies! :D

Im okay with Muffins but shell always be Derpy to me

Agreed, and the episode even acknowledged our tendency to adopt or hold on to our own names, so I take that as DHX saying, "We approve of that!". 

Derpy is what I shall always call her. 

• Brohoof 1

This was basically a "22 Short Films About Springfield" episode, which was presented as a barrel of fun that tracked the adventures of the minor cast. 

Star Trek and SG-1 did background character episodes too, and I love that sort of thing. Well Done, Larson. Knocked this out of the park.

I liked some of the realism thrown in here too. 

(Such as Luna & Celestia bickering like actual siblings, Steven shooting down Matilda's idealism, etc)

It might have sounded mean, but it was true. 

90% of the guests care more about the ceremony itself than the marriage, which is why so many brides stress out about making it perfect.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

With the episode being oh-so crowded and busy, there was bound to be some moments that were hit or miss. Here we will talk about what we liked and disliked about it. Let me make clear this is NOT meant to mimic the review thread, but a place to go into more/personal detail about the "ups" and "downs" of the episode.

What I liked

Cranky and Matilda

Muffins

Doc

I was actually dreading him getting some scenes, but that went MUCH better than I thought. They didn't bury us under Dr. Who references, and I for am GLAD he wasn't voiced by Tennant, which makes things more fun and interesting. I just love how they gave us a middle ground and had him be a total science geek.

Amethyst Star

Ya gotta love how they gave some depth and personality to a character even the fans never cared about. :D

Steven Magnet

Bon-Bon

What I didn't like

Gummy

Really? The flower fillies was the only part of this episode I actually laughed.

And why are people getting upset about Steven Magnet crushing her assurance, that is a commonly used gag. Get angry at the writers if you feel they were insensitive about the joke.

Edited by cider float

(edited)

I'm just about to watch it. Got the video open in another tab.

I've avoided spoilers completely so far and I'm honestly a bit terrified.

Here we go.

--

Adding reactions to this post as I watch.

I laughed when Derpy was the one to mess up the wedding invitations. I don't care for her fanon personality, but it was funny. Hopefully her lines are minimized, though. I still don't like that voice.

Was hoping for a special opening theme, but whatever.

I like how Derpy's eyes switch between being focused and wall-eyed. It's great that they didn't attempt to censor her eyes, but also good that the effect isn't completely overwhelming.

Doctor Whooves's accent is awful. "Ever since a particularly traumatic instance as a foal"--what the hell is that supposed to mean? Sounds like the backstory of a bad OC.

Not enjoying it so far. The voices don't sound right and the writing feels forced. I'd rather they'd stuck to what they knew they could pull off, rather than attempting to shoehorn in background characters to appease the fans. It's not easy to create a canon/in-show episode specifically for the fans and actually have them like it (EqG is a good example of something bad being made because of the fandom).

Vinyl's introduction was fun (that music isn't dubstep, but dubstep would be a bit hard to fit in). Warming up to Whooves.

I like how they're varying enough from the Doctor's character to make Whooves distinct.

Pinkie Pie... as a wedding planner? Is that really a good idea?

It's great to see Lyra and Bon Bon as canonical best friends. I don't have a problem with their voices or personalities so far. I'm a bit curious to see if they'll in any way address Bon Bon's voice inconsistencies from the past.

Pfft, Special Agent Sweetie Drops? Ha, that's actually pretty funny. I don't have an issue with this.

Poor Lyra. "The benches we sat on" line is a great way to be silly and also give a nod to Lyra's odd sitting position.

Vinyl and Octavia are roommates! :D

Gummy's inner monologue was surprisingly morose for the show.

I love seeing Celestia and Luna argue. Great peek into their sisterly relationship.

Seeing a Changeling at the wedding is interesting. Are some of them now integrated across Equestria? Very cool. I support Changelings joining Equestrian society in whatever way possible.

This was pretty good overall. The only part I disliked was the Derpy-Doctor segment. That was too forced for my liking.

There were some really great one-liners:

"'Me'? What an unfortunate name."

"Maybe it's just a friendship problem, and it'll all be cleared up in half an hour or so."

"There's some monster attacking Ponyville or something."

"But--but the lunches. The long talks! The benches we sat on!"

Edited by Abia

That was one of the best episodes ever!  :wub:

I found myself smiling the whole way through. Derpy was so adorable and the Doctor was great. 

Who knew Gummy was such a philosopher?  :lol:

Most of the voiceacting was well done, but Aloe/lotus (I still cannot tell them apart)...I was expecting the cute accent from the comics, but they sunded like a russian pelt vendour.
I will still say Derpy, not Muffins.

Oh, and Vinyl? WHY YOU NOT TALK?! :angry:

Plot teist: She is physically not ableto speak, like being born without vocal cords or so :wau:

(edited)

I guess I take back all my preconceptions about this episode. I thought this episode was going to be boring because of how little plot it has, and that it will try and make up for it with fan service. Granted that's kind of what the episode is, but the reason why it works is because they managed to make each scene interesting to watch, and the episode still works as a standalone story. They establish each character's personality quickly, and you don't have to understand the references to enjoy the episode.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 4

I think I might have stumbled upon the inspiration for Gummies monolog.

Alligators on the TV?

3qdfnr.jpg

Didn't Larson even wrote an Episode for Gravity Falls? It would make this seem even more legit.

• Brohoof 2

Most of the voiceacting was well done, but Aloe/lotus (I still cannot tell them apart)...I was expecting the cute accent from the comics, but they sunded like a russian pelt vendour.

I will still say Derpy, not Muffins.

Oh, and Vinyl? WHY YOU NOT TALK?! :angry:

Plot teist: She is physically not ableto speak, like being born without vocal cords or so :wau:

For some reason I'm thinking someone already began making fanfiction about this.

(edited)

God, that was... bad. I won't lie, I enjoyed a little bit of Doctor Who references (well, more like "so in your face, you'd have to be way out of the loop to not notice" references >.>), but aside from that I really didn't enjoy it at all... And even the Doctor Who references were waaayyy over-the-top.

FiM writers: Do not do that ever again.

I skipped over the whole Octavia/Vinyl part because it was painful enough to watch the first time in the teaser. I could not bear to watch it again. It's just not FiM. It's Brony-level material. Ugh.

Also... "Best friends"... Right...

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

FiM writers: Do not do that ever again.

I don't think they will or at least not for long time. This was probably a one time thing in which they wanted to make an episode more specifically for Bronies. As I've said before, it would be bad if they did this often but I'm very happy they did it at least once.

• Brohoof 1