Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If My Little Pony was about any other animal?

SteveMorison

Everything else (plots, locations, characters, 99% of dialogue) was the same but instead of ponies the characters were sheep or llama's for example, do you think the brony fandom would still exist and would you still be a part of it?

I don't think so... at least not if it was llamas :P. I think people are closer with ponies than with llamas x3. 

• Brohoof 1

Oddly enough, I don't think it would have taken off like it has if it was one of those species instead. I think one of the things that is so endearing about the show are the designs of the characters, specifically the ponies themselves. Most other species that we have seen in the show do not look as appealing in design as the ponies do.

My Little Pony also rolls off the tongue as a title I've noticed. :P

• Brohoof 1

The fandom wouldn't probably be the same. For instance, some people who don't like it because "ponies are only for girls" wouldn't have that argument. However, I think the main reason for the fandom's start is that people didn't think they would actually like a show with talking magical ponies, and when they did, they thought "I have to share this thing with everyone!" because it took them by surprise. It wouldn't have the same impact if they were talking magical llamas or sheep. Of course, it would still be surprising, but still, it wouldn't be the same.

TL;DR: It would be different, but we can't know if it would be better or worse. But I've gotta say, I'd totally have started watching it before if it was named "My Little Llama".

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It wouldn't have the same title if something else took over and we wouldn't be bronies anymore we'd be some other name. It wouldn't be the same! :(

Edited by BooshTheBrony
  • Brohoof 1

That would be interesting. Honestly though, the "ponies" bear little resemblance to real horses anyway. So if it were about any other animal, they'd likely be stylized in the same way and look as much not like that animal as ponies look like horses. Meaning they'd still have their appealing "cute" appearance. Llamas totally wouldn't work, but canines and felines are immensely popular, so it'd probably have much more of an appeal to people. Especially since most people seem to draw ponies looking like one of these creatures anyway. >_>

Though honestly, I agree with what another has said in this thread. For some reason, horses and ponies are the premier girly animal, (even though I think they look really masculine) so it wouldn't have caught as much attention and curiosity from men who were trying to figure out whether or not it was as bad as the title implies. I'm of the opinion that this entire fandom exists because people are overly impressed that a show about the girliest animal ever can be entertaining and not suck.

• Brohoof 4

I guess it would change the show, as ponies are more for girls. If it was dogs, and they changed the animations to darker colors and more jagged looking characters, it would have a different fan base.

• Brohoof 1

"My Little Wombat" doesn't sound nearly as appealing as the original. :P

I am doubtful it would be as popular as it is now, with almost any animal you put it doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't know the characters' species was what sold people on the show.

Oh yeah, I think for a lot of people, myself included, the equine species has great appeal.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had any desire to watch it if they were felines or canines for example.  But that's true for me irl as well.  I love horses, but I'm not a dog or cat person.

But horses really do have something special about them.  They've had a close relationship with humans for thousands of years, and have been the focal point of so much art and mythology.  It's no wonder the lore surrounding horses translates so well to the show.

Remember Fighting is Magic? The fan-made fighting game based on MLP that Hasbro slapped a C&D on? Lauren Faust offered to help the devs finish that game by giving them completely original character designs that are loosely based on the FIM cast. So loosely, in fact, that they're not even ponies anymore. I saw the silhouettes, and I remember a deer being one of them.

Bronies got pissed and lost all interest in the game. I don't think they'd bat an eye at the show if it was pony-less.

The show would confuse viewers into thinking that they are ponies, but they are actually squirrels. I think that the fandom would still exist, if the show was about talking squirrels. The fandom would be call Broirrels?

The previous gens yes!, but now it is amazing as heck!

Yep and that's just like Care Bears. No one cared about it then or now because it sucked and still sucks. Who says it wouldn't have become popular if it shared FiM's quality.
  • Brohoof 1

Yep and that's just like Care Bears. No one cared about it then or now because it sucked and still sucks. Who says it wouldn't have become popular if it shared FiM's quality.

Carebears I cannot see having a fandom as big as bronies or something honestly because there is not much story you can add to bears with a "Cutie Mark rip off" on their belly. But what am I to say right? possible,

Carebears I cannot see having a fandom as big as bronies or something honestly because there is not much story you can add to bears with a "Cutie Mark rip off" on their belly. But what am I to say right? possible,

Maybe not now but what if Care Bears was the first one to come good.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

There Is actually a joke relating to this in the MLP comic about the Power Ponies. At the very end they are all watching a show called My Little Donkey with the M6 as donkeys XD.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1