Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Horrifying movie scenes as a child?

TigerGeekGuy

Well, who framed Roger rabbit horrified me when judge doom killed a helpless, innocent shoe. That was the first time I saw any character get killed rather than defeated or knocked out. Good thing I stopped watching before reaching the climax at the end >_>

On that note, I remembered just that scene, which I couldn't watch until I was 13.

This scene terrified me. Because Doom didn't look like a cartoon character at all, it was disturbing to see him move like that. And that whole... for lack of a better word, transformation was very scary. Not to mention those eyes. THOSE GODDAMN EYES! It's still quite scary.

Edit: Also, I remember this scene made it into one of WatchMojo.com's Top 10 deaths lists.

Edited by Koori
  • Brohoof 2

I remember Chicken Run scared me as a kid for some bizarre reason. I think it might have been something to do with the animation and character design. My memory's pretty foggy. And while I've never watched the Chucky movies, I did see a few screenshots when I was like 7 and just ahahaha nope.

When I was 5, my oldest sister decided to have a Pijama Party to celebrate her 11th birthday, and they rented (yes, Internet wasn't a thing yet at that time) Chucky. Like every 5 yo, I was curious, and when I looked at the screen there was this little toy bastard killing someone... gosh... almost died.

If you guys think that you have seen everything, you really got another thing comin.

Have fun and enjoy. ;)

• Brohoof 2

I remember being terrified by the Dr Who episode 'The Empty Child' ("Are you my mummy?") and I had night terrors for a whole week afterwards. To this day find it disconcerting.

I watched Watership Down when I was very young. I don't remember very much of it, but I do recall that I was really quite disturbed by some of it. Having read the book many years later, I can conclude that despite being about fluffy bunnies, it is NOT recommended for children. I would recommend the book for most other people, though.

post-34886-0-15365300-1441926935_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Watership Down, the scene where Bigwig gets caught in the snare...and EVERYTHING about General Woundwort gave me nightmares as a small child. Whoever said bunnies can't be terrifying never saw Woundwort. Take notes, Angel. XD

tumblr_njvkq8sGGv1qfugp3o1_500.jpg

But yes, despite being an animated movie (a very good one), WD really isn't "kid friendly". XD

• 7 months later...

The batwinged creature that turned some dude into sliny bones from the beastmaster.

Nightmare on Elm Street Dream Warriors. It was years before I could watch a Nightmare on Elm Street movie again.

To this day, the tarantulas in Arachnophobia scare the crap outta me.

When JAWS ate Quint.

When Mola Ramm pulled the heart out of that kid in Temple of Doom.

My Father allowed me and my younger Sister, to watch Chucky 1 and 2. Oh wait, that are the German Names, you all might know it under the name " Childs Play ".

And yes, both me and my sister got Nightmares of Chucky the Murder Doll, specially after he looked so creepy with his whole Body burned at the end of the Movie.

And Part 2 had also a few horrible Scenes, specially with the Machinery.

Weird... I can't recall really getting scared of a scene in a movie or cartoon as a kid. I mean, Disney death scenes are sad, but never made me creeped out, and I remember loving the pink elephant scene in Dumbo when I was little.

• Brohoof 2

I was born in '82; practically everything, animated or otherwise, was some degree of disturbing in the eighties.  "The Mouse and His Child," "The Secret of Nimh," and a film I think might have been "Wizards" come to mind.  I was even bothered by some body-snatching episode of "GoBots." xD

• Brohoof 1

While I do enjoy smart horror films now, when I was a child I was terrified of the scene in Poltergeist where the guy tears off his own face. 

Also this scene from the Adventures of Mark Twain which I rented once:

Though in hindsight I'm not sure if it gave me as many Nightmares as it made me start questioning humanity more than  I already was. 

Edited by Seraph
  • Brohoof 3

When it was my birthday and I sat there with my dad and saw Tony Soprano's therapist get raped in a parking garage stairwell. I fixated on that for a while because I hadn't seen that level of graphic sexual violence on tv before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been studying low-level necromancy for a while now, in a show of my newfound power, I shall revive this thread! Huzzah!

I have a few more to add myself:

As a child, I would always skip the first scene in Ghostbusters where the team is investigating the library. The library ghost transformation always scared me, the rest of the movie was fine, though.

Spoiler

Another one that scared me was the Brazilian birthday party scene in Signs.

Spoiler

Last but definitely not the least, was the "Gingerbread Man" scene in The Brothers Grimm. If you've seen the film, you know which one I'm talking about. No linked video for this one, might be a bit too much. If you're curious, you're gonna have to look it up yourself.

Entire War of the Worlds was quite a trauma for me due to how disastrous mankind's fate was in that movie and how real it looked to me back then. Today I am not really touched by it like I was, but I was creeped out each time I heard that super loud horn noise from the movie. 

• Brohoof 1

I can't recall one that I have, besides the Ice Princess' death in Batman Returns. It was one that also horrified my brother, because she falls and screams to her death, and then dies immediately from the impact. This was a PG-13 movie - some R rated movies don't even feature characters falling to their deaths, especially as graphic as this one!

I was scarred as a 6-7yo kid after watching a scene from Felidae:

(spoiler if someones sensitive about cartoon violence :P )

Spoiler

It was the scene where the main characters find a dead cat and she was pregnant and the little fetuses are spilling from her belly on the ground

• Brohoof 1

I remember waking up in the middle of the night to get some water and I saw my dad watching a movie named Apocalypto,the scene I saw was one were they villains were sacrificing people by chopping off their heads and taking out their heart. I didn't sleep for a month after watching it

• Brohoof 1