Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you know you became a brony/pegasister ?

Swift Marquis

This was the first pony video I watched.  I saw it and wanted to watch more, but I thought to myself "that's crazy, it's a show for little girls" so I would try to stay away from videos like that.  I ended up watching a bunch more pony videos, but I still didn't want to accept that I was becoming a brony.

That went on for maybe a month or two, then in July of 2012 I watched the first two episodes of season 1 and I was instantly hooked.

I started watching the show in Summer 2014 but I didn't really consider myself a Brony at first, just someone who liked to watch the show.

I decided to try reaching out to other members of the fandom after watching the Bronies documentary a couple of months later. I started referring to myself as a Brony after attending a meetup in London.

I first realized that I was actually becoming quite the fan of the show when I started listening to fan songs, and decided to check out a few of the episodes whenever and wherever I could find them. It was a great decision, because I soon came to terms with just how much I liked MLP. :squee:

I started watching a few episodes of Season 1 the summer after it finished. I have a couple little brothers who were around five at the time so they watched it when it was on. Then I started watching more and more. I didn't realize there was a community behind it until I went to school that fall and found out my friend was also enjoying the show. I then realized I wasn't the only one...

• Brohoof 2

I started with my first episode 'Lesson Zero'. At the time I'd never even heard of the Brony following. I just loved the show and found I couldn't wait to see another episode, and then another. I was addicted.

I soon learned about Bronies and started to notice MLP merchandise just here and there and soon after, joined a forum (EqF). Now I'm here and loving all the fun things MLP has brought with it. :P  

• Brohoof 1

Here we go.

I had already been watching the show since it began. It all started when I watched it on the day my uncle and aunt were away. I was essentially forced into babysitting my little cousin. It happened to fall on the day of the premiere on October 10, 2010, and at the time she was psyched to watch it. I was not for it, but did it anyway. After the first five or ten minutes I became so enthralled by it. I did not have my own laptop then so I was forced to secretly watch it in other tabs and with headphones when my class went to the computer lab and only on days when I could get the corner seat to turn the screen. When I discovered how to delete search history I would use my dads computer to watch it while he was at work.

Then I was in high school when my friend showed me a picture of MLP ponysuits at DragonCon 2011.  I was like, "that's cool." and my friend was stunned. He said, "you think bronies are cool?". Me at the time was scared of loosing my cool high school senior friends and I said, "no, forget about those weirdos" I actually saw nothing wrong with it, didn't know what bronies were, but recognized the characters they were dressed as. The 2011 parade was also my inspiration to get my own ponysuit. I looked up "brony" and found out that it was a fan of MLP FiM and that it was what I was the entire time. I was stunned that there were actually others who understood that show was great. When I got my own laptop(first one was given to me for the year as part of the schools new computer program, so for a long while I was skeptical of searching MLP related things until the latter part of my senior year after I didn't care anymore) But when I graduated I got my own computer to watch MLP and to even join an MLP site(here) and I was able to build up the guts to not have it be a guilty pleasure anymore. 

So that's my whole story and damn it was so long ago.

• Brohoof 2

I suppose when I went from watching a couple of episodes to finding myself actively seeking information about the show, looking up forums and reading wikis and such upon it. Then it just progressed naturally into merchandise and fan-fiction and the like.

I really have trouble with this sort of question though at times... probably because I don't see myself as a "typical brony" at times, or even at all sometimes I suppose. Mainly because the term is used either derogatorily by a large group of people to identify it as some sort of taboo outside of the accepting circle, or because a great many people (even in the fandom) use the term to somehow differentiate themselves in such a way as if they themselves are somehow committing a type of taboo or engaging in some sort of negative activity. I realize that is just an odd way of thinking or looking at it overall so maybe that does not make a lot of sense. It might also be because I don't know anyone around me who also enjoys the fandom.

I honestly just enjoy the show, adore the characters, like the universe it exists within and find the ideas and thoughts behind it all refreshing if not cliched or hackneyed at times. I don't feel like I "became a brony"... I feel like I discovered an amazing world with equally amazing potential and one I hope to continue exploring for several years to come.

It started when someone on another forum linked me to the Equestria Girls music video(Not the movies, the California Girls parody) So I watched it, liked what I saw, and looked it up on Youtube. 

I still remember the first episode I watched. It was Owl's Well That Ends Well. Alas, I binge watched the rest of the episodes. And here I am today.

I knew that I had become a brony after watching the first Equestria Girls movie at least three times, and began watching the first three seasons at the time in the span of a week.

Well it's going to sound crazy but I kind of went the opposite route to most early day bronies. That is to say, greeted with skepticism and slowly worn over. For me it was a little different.

I was watching an abridged series on youtube and there was a quick joke that used a sample from another video. It was a purple unicorn singing a song. To my surprise, the song wasn't from the show itself it was a dub. Here's the video:

(Still takes me back. :'D )

I watched the video again, and again, and again. Which struck me as odd because I actually didn't like a lot of the songs and artists being used. So what was it? Was it that the visuals were nice enough to rub out the bad elements of the songs? Was it just that it was spliced surprisingly well? For that matter, why would someone put this much talent and energy into this subject matter? So I looked up the show on tv tropes.org, found out it was made by Lauren Faust and that's also when I discovered the brony fanbase.

"Huh, well with her as the creator and an existing adult fan base . . . this show must actually be pretty good." So I hopped back to youtube to watch the first episode, then I watched the second to complete the pilot, then I watched the third. I've never looked back.  B)

Still consider it to be one of the best things to happen to me.

Can't say, it's been years. The beginning is so hazy. I only remember the moment where I decided to watch it, but I don't remember my initial reactions. I think it started when I actually decided to watch the show.

You see, at first I saw all these groups on this one site about MLP, and while looking through their chat they were all talking about "cupcakes". I decided to google it and I read the story, then somehow I saw bits of "party of one" so I decided to watch the whole thing. I think that was the point I became a 'brony'.

That's the shorthand of what happened just for the sake of answering the question.

2011, good times. Good times.

Edited by NotoriousSMALL