Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trixie was better as an antagonist

Unlikeable Pony

I think that having Trixie be redeemed was honestly a bit of a mistake, as she really feels best and most entertaining when she's an antagonist. Look at Rainbow rocks for example, trixie is incredibly loveable in that universe due to being egotistical and antagonistic to the others which allows her to really ham it up. Similarly, in her last two roles, being opposed to the mane six, even villainous in the case of magic duel, really worked well to let her character shine.

But with her good, alot of her charm seems to be gone, as its honestly harder to think up ways for her to shine; the best part of trixie was seeing her butt heads with others, but if she's redeemed and turned over a new leaf, that seems to be gone.

Your views on trixie?

large.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Trixie was never a villain. Egotistical maybe, but not the villain. Infact, the mane 6 where actually in the wrong of being about trixie and her magic show, because she just doing her thing, being a showmare. And the only reason why she was evil in Magic Duel, was because she was possesed and not because she was truly evil.

So no, Trixie isn't a villain.

• Brohoof 5

I think her being good there could be more synergy but at the cost of her showmanship for their sake. Because its not as exagerrated doesn't mean she won't be as interesting it means she won't be as obvious or intense. 

We really haven't seen Trixie act as a true protagonist...

So, I can't really say I like her better as a villian ir a good guy.

But I suppose her being a villian would make the most sense.

(edited)

Nice, I like that idea.  Who else would be in it?

One would assume the stakes would be fairly low key for the group if it was a low level legion of doom, since they'd just be wanting revenge on the mane six and not wanting to destroy equestria or anything-- so big name villains on the team would probably be a no go (no chrysalis, tirek, sirens, ect.). Lightning dust and Suri are good go to's, and if they weren't hyping up starlight to big bad two parter villain tier in the finale I'd have said her too as a good twilight nemesis. Wind rider's another good option.

They're already doing something like that in the comics, but IMO they're doing it poorly by mixing in the low tier villains with high tier villains which clashes massively with motivations and whatnot. For a low level legion of doom team up I'd assume most of the villains would just want to humiliate the mane six or mess with their lives.

large.png

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

She could still be self-centered. We haven't seen her since her episode in season 3 and considering how well they handled the reformed Discord (who still exhibits signs of self-centered chaotic rudness), Trixie could still be interesting.

Maybe not as sinister as in Rainbow Rocks, but I doubt she'd be a shadow of her former self. She wouldn't be as power hungry, but I bet she'd still have a bit of a showoff attitude. Even at the end of her season 3 episode, she ironically bragged about how humble she now was.

So she could still be the same interesting character as before but with new depth as she can now explore a new side that she had never tried to channel before.

The great thing about Trixie is that she doesn't have to be "good" or "bad" to be antagonistic.  She works well as a minor villain but could just as easily befriend the Mane 6 and be just as obnoxious (or lovable) without having to change anything about her character.  

It really can't be said wether Trixie is better as an antagonist or on the protagonist side because we've never really SEEN post-reform Trixie out of the comics (and I though her one shot with Dash there was pretty funny)

I've been thinking this for a while(though villain isn't a word I'd use, more like antagonist). Besides the fact that I still think her "redemption" was awful, she had more charm as a bad guy, and this was reinforced with how fun she was as a secondary antagonist in Rainbow Rocks

And despite all that, I still think her Friends Forever comic with Rainbow Dash is still one of the best in that comic's run :P

Edited by ChicksDigGiantRobots
  • Brohoof 1

I see.some people saying Trixie wasn't a villain but not once did I see Unlikable Pony ever call her villain. They called her an antagonist which was indeed the appropriate term.

But to be fair.....I see no huge difference from her being an antagonist to becoming....well.... there was no transition at all. She realized her mistakes, and made her "grand" leave and that was it. We've yet to see her take ANY action to categorize her as a protagonist so by this point, she's merely a background pony out there somewhere doing her own thing.

She still seems to be egotistical given her big " LOOK HOW HUMBLE I AM" outburst when she apologized to Twilight by the end of "Magic Duel". Nothing dramatically changed with her. You could almost put her in the same category with Discord for simply not playing the role of an antagonist but also not being a protaganist 100%.

• Brohoof 1

Since she hasn't been back in the show, it's hard to say how the idiot writing staff will have her.

The comics on the other hand, have her with the same style of character, but more humble about it. I also like how, she formed a sisterly bond with Babs, when Trixie was framed for jewel theft.

Ahem. I believe some clarification is needed here.

post-30550-0-94477500-1446680861.png

post-30550-0-39474900-1446680913.png

I'm not sure if anyone else here knows this or not but the definition of a character does not only fall on the duality of protagonist/antagonist. Those terms are generally reserved for the primary characters in a plot as the focus of personal conflict. There are supporting characters, side characters and background characters that are not necessarily the main focus of conflict which is a position Trixie could theoretically hold.

Another point I'd like to make is that the role of protagonist and antagonist is not identical to that of any one definition of good or bad. Personalities and character elements are not the same as plot roles and just because a clear character may posses traits that you like or dislike does not determine their primary role in a story. There are anti-heroes, sympathetic villains and all assortments of character types with sometimes conflicting attributes.

post-30550-0-89327700-1446681037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roughshod