Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Movies and side love stories, do they ever bother you?

Oblivion

Really, you watch any movie especially action movies, or even anything that's supposed to be somewhat true and the directors ALWAYS tend to throw in a side love story and the main protagonist ends up hooking up with the "hot babe" as he brings her down on a bed passionately in a 3 minute sex scene....

I just don't get it, why take the time out of the main plot to include love when often times it plays little roll in the actual story telling itself, not to mention if you're still bitter from a previous experience it might not be the best thing to watch to begin with.....

So, with the above being said, to such things sort of bother you and get on your nerves to an extent, I mean, I can understand if the plot revolves around out hero protecting his love from some thugs or something which for the most part does a good job of adding more feeling to a film, but just in general I don't see the point of it, and many times 2 or 3 kissing and love scenes throughout a film just take time away from the plot itself..... >_>

• Brohoof 1

I don't like them when they feel forced, just as a romantic at heart. This usually comes down to writing and chemistry between the actors. I mean, if it's a subplot fine, most stories need a b plot of some kind to act as relief or compliment the a plot. In some movies, the romance IS the a plot, most of them romances.

• Brohoof 2

Most of the time, my reaction is something along the lines of "Ugh, just get it over with already.". However, I can excuse it if it's well-written or appropriate with the story.

But of course, truth be told, I'd rather see the main protagonist and the "love interest" just be friends throughout the movie. Not everything has to be romantic. :P

• Brohoof 2

Most of the time, my reaction is something along the lines of "Ugh, just get it over with already.". However, I can excuse it if it's well-written or appropriate with the story.

But of course, truth be told, I'd rather see the main protagonist and the "love interest" just be friends throughout the movie. Not everything has to be romantic. :P

YEAH, not kidding, you don't have to hookup with someone and sleep with someone just cause the main badass is well, a badass. Though I guess that just reinforces the thought that he is a badass in all aspects.  -_-

I definitely do not like forced romance stories or sex scenes that are thrown in just cuz.  A really like a good love story if that the whole point, like Beauty & the Beast (one of my all time favorite movies).  I hate the sexist, cliché James Bond-ish trope that the male hero needs a woman as essentially an objectified prize, a trend that, surprisingly, is still quite common.  And even if the woman isn't objectified, it amazing how common it still is today for the male characters in movies to be trying to rescue their love, or win her back in some way.  I feel like often times the women in movies are just there as a plot device so the hero has a prize to trying get, which is very sad.  It never seems to be the other way around.  This is one of the reasons I love FIM so much; because it has a dynamic cast of female characters who are accessories to no one.  Anyway, that might have been a little tangential, but to circle back, it seems like love stories are often shoehorned in just because the filmmakers think that the public won't be satisfied without them, even if it's cheesy has no relevance to the story.

(May contain spoilers for the movie Lucy)

When they seem rushed/forced, yeah they annoy me. Like in Lucy between Lucy and the police officer. There's this great, tense rush in the second half of the movie to get that blue drug stuff (forgot what it was called) that she needs and as the audience you're put on the edge of your seat as she not only tries to retrieve that blue stuff, but also needs to upload everything she knows into a computer while simultaneously being hunted down by some Asian organised-gang. And then to completely ruin this feeling of tension they slow down the movie to this love stuff between Lucy and that police officer who follows her.  I can't even remember the police officer's name, that just goes to show he really didn't play much role except to be a cheesy romance character.

Edited by Holiday
  • Brohoof 2

Then you get movies where the aliens taking over the world by possessing people's bodies and now there's maybe hundreds of humans left is the subplot and the romance takes up the majority of the movie.

<_< Fucking "The Host" looking like it could have been a great sci-fi movie but nooooo they had to throw the romance in like it was some hot shit...

Then you get movies where the aliens taking over the world by possessing people's bodies and now there's maybe hundreds of humans left is the subplot and the romance takes up the majority of the movie.

<_< Fucking "The Host" looking like it could have been a great sci-fi movie but nooooo they had to throw the romance in like it was some hot shit...

Well, the novel it was based on was written by Stephenie Meyer.

Well, the novel it was based on was written by Stephenie Meyer.

I'm aware. Doesn't make it any less dumb. Either she or the movie creators could have done something great with that setting. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Holy shit yes.

I saw The 5th Wave with dad yesterday. The movie was all fine and well, until this guy (Evan) saved the main character (Cassie). Every time they kissed - twice - I made gagging noises. Ugh. It bothers me quite a bit, luckily it didn't last long.

Yes, they annoy me sometimes. They annoy me more because most of them are heterosexual and have barely any variety and it's the same thing in every movie, especially the teen ones. :/

It's more about how a substantial amount of romance scenes in movies feel out of place and rushed, almost like these movies are just desperately trying to throw in a bit of romance no matter what they are about.

• 4 years later...

I don't watch much moves. I guess they need to include some love story to make it more interesting for the people who don't just watch it for action scenes. Still, I cannot stop thinking about how important it was for Hasbro to get Twilight a boyfriend in Equestria Girls (technically a movie and technically action?)

• Brohoof 1

Only if they’re pointless. I always like a good love story, but If you can take out the romantic subplot and it doesn’t affect the rest of the plot at all it doesn’t need to be there.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It does if they're forced and end up contributing nothing to the grand scheme of things. I just roll my eyes to it, unless it actually leads up to something important.

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Forced romance sucks. If I'm watching a movie about robots shellacking the shit out of each other, I don't want to see a bunch of pointless romance scenes. Enough plot, more violence.

Joking aside, there shouldn't be romance unless it contributes to the plot significantly. Really, everything happening in any type of story should contribute to the plot, even small stuff, but that's not always easy to do. I'm definitely guilty of putting pointless stuff in my stories (including romance), but I'm getting better at keeping things clean as I learn more about plot and character development.

Edited by Booker
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah I'm not a fan of "boy meet girl" thing in movies. Unless it's a movie series like a trilogy or more because it's usually gets done right. I found it redundant for a guy and girl who just happen to like each other when they only know each other for less than a week, let alone hitting off. Animations movies I don't mind at all for some reason, maybe because they tends to do it better than live actions. Like Disney for example. Overall I hate cliche romances in general if it feel stereo-typically forced.

It really depends on the relevance of the romance to the plot. I prefer it when the romance doesn't take the foreground much, just builds up in a natural way, and then ties in to the plot in a meaningful way. If it's just there for the sake of it, I'd prefer it to be taken out because it just detracts from the movie/story. Speaking as someone who only writes stories that include some kind of shipping, I'm definitely not against it on principle.

I really enjoy romance (a lot, actually) but only when it’s appropriate.

In action or horror movies, it does feel forced and unnecessary. But in a drama film or book, romance can fit nicely.

I also enjoy fanfiction. Like, say there’s a action or horror or sci-fi movie, and then someone ELSE makes a little fanfic about it involving two characters being shipped/romantically involved. Totally okay! Because it fits. Just my opinion though.

(edited)

No, I like it. I like a love story but I can't watch a movie that's NOTHING but a love story so I need something like a galactic war around it(Han and Leia).

The reason why is just to bring in a wider audience. It's cliche but, for example, a little love story can help a guy drag his girlfriend to an action movie.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 1

I think it’s often gratuitous, to cover as many demographics as possible with a minimum of effort. If it’s incongruous to the story it should be cut, or written in a way that actually contributes something besides a three-minute quickie.

• Brohoof 3