Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

FNAF beat us?

cider float

The 5 WORST Fanbases (2015)

Hold up, MLP is no longer the hot shot anymore? FNAF took over as worst fanbase?

EDIT: Removed youtube link because it might be considered explicit material. But that's the title of the youtube video I got this from. But if you want to find it type "The 5 WORST Fanbases on the youtube search bar for the video. The video itself isn't flagged for adult though so yeah.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

Having a top 5 worst fanbases is weird to me, as honestly any and all fanbases can be equally terrible, it's just a matter of how deep you are willing to look into the fandom.

• Brohoof 6

FNAF is new so it's the cool thing to hate right now.....

Though releasing 4-5 games within the span of a few months doesn't help much either

• Brohoof 1

Having a top 5 worst fanbases is weird to me, as honestly any and all fanbases can be equally terrible, it's just a matter of how deep you are willing to look into the fandom.

The Earthbound fandom is one of the best. Fandoms only become toxic when they're hugely popular and content is readily available. It spoils the fans.

There's only a couple major forum sites for Earthbound and from my experience, it's nowhere near as bad as the MLP fandom and FNAF fandoms have been. No kids becoming hostile at the first sign of cricitism. Just a relatively small number of fans coming together over a common interest.

And while there are bound to be bad apples in any fandom, size makes a difference.

Even if out of 10,000 bronies, 1,000 are the toxic vocal minority, it's still a big number. Same with clop. It may be the minority, but that minority number is still big enough to be so widespread and an annoyance to the internet.

With smaller fandoms, you're more likely to not step out because there are so many less bad apples.

With MLP, a hugely popular show that has a sizeable teen and tween fanbase, they're more likely to get that hive mind mentality, jump on "haters" together, and spam MLP in places where it's not needed/wanted (as Teens and Tweens rarely make the best judgement calls) and all this is a recipe for hated fandoms.

That's my personal explanation.

The bigger a fandom is, the more hated it will be, not simply because of size, but because the 1/10th toxic members grows as the rest of the 9/10th Non-toxic members grow with them.

1 toxic member out of 10? Not that bad.

10,000 toxic members out of 100,000 suddenly becomes a problem, even if it's still the minority.

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 6

The Earthbound fandom is one of the best. Fandoms only become toxic when they're hugely popular and content is readily available. It spoils the fans.

There's only a couple major forum sites for Earthbound and from my experience, it's nowhere near as bad as the MLP fandom and FNAF fandoms have been. No kids becoming hostile at the first sign of cricitism. Just a relatively small number of fans coming together over a common interest.

And while there are bound to be bad apples in any fandom, size makes a difference.

Even if out of 10,000 bronies, 1,000 are the toxic vocal minority, it's still a big number. Same with clop. It may be the minority, but that minority number is still big enough to be so widespread and an annoyance to the internet.

With smaller fandoms, you're more likely to not step out because there are so many less bad apples.

With MLP, a hugely popular show that has a sizeable teen and tween fanbase, they're more likely to get that hive mind mentality, jump on "haters" together, and spam MLP in places where it's not needed/wanted (as Teens and Tweens rarely make the best judgement calls) and all this is a recipe for hated fandoms.

The bigger a fandom is, the more hated it will be, not simply because of size, but because the 1/10th toxic members grows as the rest of the 9/10th Non-toxic members grow with them.

10,000 toxic members out of 100,000 suddenly becomes a problem, even if it's still the minority.

Hmm, very fair point. Though it still sucks when you get thrown under the same boat as the toxic members of the fanbases you are in. (Unless I actually am one and I don't realize it :v)

(edited)

This is somewhat true. But at the same time the bigger your fandom the more normal and chill people you can find since it's even more diverse the larger it gets.

On another note about that video, it's interesting because many MLP fans are somewhat from Sonic fanbases and video game fans are also found in MLP/Sonic fanbases. So they sort of stand on all fanbases. Surprised furries didn't make it there, better luck next time I guess furries.

Edited by cider float

I still find our fandom to be pretty cancerous. FNAF fandom is pretty bad but I haven't seen that much of it and I understand why there could be more hate at the moment pointed at them.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I still find our fandom to be pretty cancerous. FNAF fandom is pretty bad but I haven't seen that much of it and I understand why there could be more hate at the moment pointed at them.

Yeah I haven't really seen much of FNAF but the way people rave about how the FNAF fandom is so bad makes me wonder.

The thing is when you hear about the fandom before the game you know it's big.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Um, okay.

I mean, I know the MLP:FiM fandom can certainly be annoying at times, but it doesn't need to have an impact on your life or anything. It's best to use your hatred on something more productive, anyway.

Edited by Odyssey

I though the new Fandom everybody hates now ( because that one famous person mentioned it )

was Reactionist.

Okay, they are not really a Group of Fans but a Group of people who does the same thing basically.

I still dont understand the whole " Worst Fandom " thing.

Everyone Fandom has a bad side.

I dont know, how you can even rank them.

But okay, we are not the worst anymore...or with other words :

We are not the newest Fanbase anymore and they are tons of hate things already about us, so the new thing that would give People attention would be FNAF.

But that goes away.

I think the worst Fandom, is always the one who is the newest, so that those " Haters " can be the first to hate on it to get Attention. ( which in their eyes means " being cool " )

I never actively hated on anything and i dont see any reason why i should.

• Brohoof 1

I just don't get any fandom hatred. I mean I guess there are extremists in any form if anything that creates passion, from video games to religion, but why judge a large group of fans on that. But I see a crazy anger towards the MLP group, and now the FNAF group...especially on youtube which has become worse than yahoo comments used to be.I guess it's the ones who comment on Carmen videos or go fanboy when the regular English word mangled is mentioned without context. Furries - makes no sense to me, but do I feel hatred? Nah. That's pointless. Let people enjoy their stuff.

It's basically like "oooh look, accepted bigotry. Count me in!"

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 2

I though the new Fandom everybody hates now ( because that one famous person mentioned it )

was Reactionist.

Okay, they are not really a Group of Fans but a Group of people who does the same thing basically.

I still dont understand the whole " Worst Fandom " thing.

Everyone Fandom has a bad side.

I dont know, how you can even rank them.

But okay, we are not the worst anymore...or with other words :

We are not the newest Fanbase anymore and they are tons of hate things already about us, so the new thing that would give People attention would be FNAF.

But that goes away.

I think the worst Fandom, is always the one who is the newest, so that those " Haters " can be the first to hate on it to get Attention. ( which in their eyes means " being cool " )

I never actively hated on anything and i dont see any reason why i should.

For the case of Bronydom, though we're still relatively new as a fandom, I get sense that people eventually accepted it as a norm of the internet rather than abomination. Not saying that the fandom isn't hated as it most certainly is by some, but, for instance, is far more rare for me to see people react strongly towards someone who happens to have a Fluttershy avatar in Youtube comments.

Even people in this forum have mentioned hatred towards certain fandoms. But for me personally, it's quite unfair to generalize an entire fandom which honestly have people only united by usually one common thing and all else potentially differing.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's because it's a franchise which hand't had much public exposure that contributed to a big fanbase. I bet most people know more about Earthbound via Smash Bros rather than the actual games. Of course, being a cult classic, it has a share of dedicated fans, but their reduced numbers  also leads to less bad apples. Besides, Earthbound was released in a time where not everyone had internet.

Ponies in contrast, much public exposure, it's been around for decades, it's mainstream, and FiM, being the magnum opus of MLP, flourished in a time where we are slaves of the net, AND, the sudden male fanbase put the world's eyes on us

How exactly are bronies a bad fanbase though? Is it just because alot of them are perverts? If people have had the kind of experience I've had with them though then I can understand it. Because I've encountered a good many hypocrites in this fanbase. They claim to "love and tolerate" but what do they do when they misunderstand me because of my Asperger's? They'll judge me and they'll either unfriend and/or block me or they'll say things to me to troll me and piss me off and act like total dicks...

How exactly are bronies a bad fanbase though? Is it just because alot of them are perverts? If people have had the kind of experience I've had with them though then I can understand it. Because I've encountered a good many hypocrites in this fanbase. They claim to "love and tolerate" but what do they do when they misunderstand me because of my Asperger's? They'll judge me and they'll either unfriend and/or block me or they'll say things to me to troll me and piss me off and act like total dicks...

From what I've noticed, it's mix of hypocrites, perverts, and all of the bad apples mixed together and those turn out to be the vocal minority that draws a lot of negative attention on the fandom. It's what usually gets people to look at how bad a fandom is but every fandom has their share of those kinds of people. This fandom's really big with it being large enough to not go unnoticed wherever you go on the internet. You're bound to run into a brony on the internet with ease.  

Some interesting a cogent points made here. I appreciate the link to the video being removed. That said ... the views here are predicated on viewing said video, and it is one we can't direct members to as it does come across as a bit much. Locking the topic.