Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Has the writing gotten less competent?

ggg-2

I'm not saying the show has gotten bad, but lately it seems like i've been noticing more continuity errors, episodes have been focusing on only one character, 2 or 3 at most, and to make matters worse episode 7 makes it seem like they're booting out Rainbow Dash.

There's usually been continuity errors (Ponyville being around hundreds of years according to WWU or since Granny Smith's family settled?), episodes only focusing on a few characters has been a complaint since season 2, and we don't know don't how episode 7 is supposed to go so until it airs it can't realy be used as a complaint about incompetent writing.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not saying the show has gotten bad, but lately it seems like i've been noticing more continuity errors, episodes have been focusing on only one character, 2 or 3 at most, and to make matters worse episode 7 makes it seem like they're booting out Rainbow Dash.

To be fair I think you're overanalyzing a kids show. I was thinking the same things while watching spongebob, but yeah its just a cartoon.

• Brohoof 1

Continuity hasn't been MLP's best traits. I'm thinking in-line for redressing or referencing certain previous plot points instead.

It's still better compared to other cartoons where they screw with continuity like Mario stomps on goombas  :orly:

episodes have been focusing on only one character, 2 or 3 at most

I couldn't help but notice this statement. Yeah, it's true, but how is that bad exactly? If anything, I think focusing on less characters at once is great. I always thought the earlier seasons crammed too many characters at once making them harder to flesh out (i.e. the pilot episode). In my opinion, it's much better to have episodes focusing on just one character or only a few of them.

So no, I don't think the writing has gotten less competent. There have always been continuity errors and something minor like that isn't really a big deal.

I couldn't help but notice this statement. Yeah, it's true, but how is that bad exactly? If anything, I think focusing on less characters at once is great. I always thought the earlier seasons crammed too many characters at once making them harder to flesh out (i.e. the pilot episode). In my opinion, it's much better to have episodes focusing on just one character or only a few of them.

So no, I don't think the writing has gotten less competent. There have always been continuity errors and something minor like that isn't really a big deal.

In a sense I agree but at the same time, the way they're handling it now is a bit problematic and makes for uneven, or even unbalanced screentime. I mean in the first half we've gotten/we're getting several episodes heavy on Twilight, Rarity and Starlight(who's a brand new character for starters), meanwhile, while we know AJ, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy(who kind of got neglected in S5) are getting a focus episode, but they've also had 3 straight episodes in a row where they were completely MIA, which would easily upset fans of those characters. Not every character needs to be in every episode, but their appearances need to be spread out enough where it feels like they're all getting enough attention or else people start worrying. Having 3 mane characters nowhere to be found after the premiere will definitely make fans worried for them in later episodes

I mean, people are already making conspiracy theories about how they're taking away focus from some or the rest of the mane 6 in order to focus on Starlight. I don't know what to think of it(I don't think it's true), but if it if there is some truth to it, taking away focus from any of the original cast to focus on the new character(one who's already pretty divisive on the fans no less) is usually a good way to get fans to resent the new character even more instead

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

To be fair I think you're overanalyzing a kids show. I was thinking the same things while watching spongebob, but yeah its just a cartoon.

Apples and oranges. Spongebob Squarepants is a self-contained cartoon, and comedy is its signature theme. On the other hand, FIM's continuity's overt, and it's character-development-driven. As such, continuity is much more important in FIM than SS.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

I think a lot of the conventional types of stories were played out in the first three seasons. FiM very well could have been one of those 65-episode cartoons that wraps up neatly with all the to-do list items checked off. The season-long arc format introduced with Season 4 seems like the most likely and logical place to go for a show renewed for additional seasons. It's a good way to cultivate long-term interest.

Now that the show has stretched out well over 100 episodes, I think the perception that the writing quality is becoming listless lies in the fact that many of the familiar types of traditional TV stories have already been done in the show. Such tropes are fun to see, (that's part of the reason they are tropes) but eventually with the development away from traditional stories a show does run the risk of losing sustained critical interest among its fans. There have been awesome episodes, there have been "meh" episodes, there have poorly-executed episodes. I think the episodic focus on 2 or 3 main characters in recent seasons is a good way to continue to portray friendship in the show, for such situations allow different dynamics to be explored and develop subtly to a larger story.

I'm not sure I would describe the writing these days as "less competent"; I'd be more comfortable calling it "matured". The basic principles and friendship-based morality in the show have long been established so the natural thing to do is develop new or fresh looks on individuals or between characters to tell the story in a relevant way. There will be some filler, there will be some ambition, there might even be a spinoff, but the way the story is told must continue to be of interest so one can expect new things and non-traditional ideas.

• Brohoof 1

They are not booting out Rainbow, she has just a job change from a weather pony to a Wonderbolt and will do most of her job off-screen.

There has been far more attention to continuity than in the early seasons, I do think this has had continuity errors at all. I know you think that Starlight not funding her way around is a continuity error and all that but it is not to me (for reasons I have stated before).

The episodes have been a bit less innovative lately however and more predictable. But it is not an issue if it does not continue. I think it is partly born out of the limits continuity in fact places to the show. You have more rules and expectations to do certain storylines and have certain character development etc. Such as everyone expected an episode where the CMC deal with having their cutie marks. The episode adressed all the concerns people had but did not have much room for more unique ideas.

Edited by snowflame

In a sense I agree but at the same time, the way they're handling it now is a bit problematic and makes for uneven, or even unbalanced screentime. I mean in the first half we've gotten/we're getting several episodes heavy on Twilight, Rarity and Starlight(who's a brand new character for starters), meanwhile, while we know AJ, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy(who kind of got neglected in S5) are getting a focus episode, but they've also had 3 straight episodes in a row where they were completely MIA, which would easily upset fans of those characters. Not every character needs to be in every episode, but their appearances need to be spread out enough where it feels like they're all getting enough attention or else people start worrying. Having 3 mane characters nowhere to be found after the premiere will definitely make fans worried for them in later episodes

I mean, people are already making conspiracy theories about how they're taking away focus from some or the rest of the mane 6 in order to focus on Starlight. I don't know what to think of it(I don't think it's true), but if it if there is some truth to it, taking away focus from any of the original cast to focus on the new character(one who's already pretty divisive on the fans no less) is usually a good way to get fans to resent the new character instead

I don't worry about it too much since I'm sure they'll get a focus episode at some point in the season. I can see why it would worry fans at times, but making conspiracy theories about booting out mane 6 characters is kind of jumping to conclusions. I really do wish that appearances were spread out more (like season 5, 3 rarity episodes in a row??) but it doesn't bother me too much.

And personally, I prefer waiting for a certain character to get an individual episode than having them forced in a two parter episode where they barely get any lines at all.

The question you should be asking yourself is: Has the world gotten over MLP?

A new character here, a “new location” there, and that’s that. This is as far as it can go and it ain’t no FPS to roll along like Ouroboros. FIM is more like Starcraft: it came as a vanguard and it will shrivel into obscurity, remembered fondly by its fans, mocked for its lack of insight by the next generation. Will these be the fans of the next generation, or the next generation of general cartoon fans, now that is something only H-Bro can influence.

• Brohoof 1

Less competent writing with continuity errors? Sometimes but I mostly see this as a "depending on the writer" case. If it is a really big contradiction over past events, it will be noticeable but for the most part, I won't let minor inconsistencies ruin the show for me.

As for episode 7 sounding like Dash is getting booted from the Wonderbolts, I doubt that will happen. From the synopsis, it seems like Dashie got into an embarrassing situation and her fellow Wonderbolts give her a "mortifying nickname" to go with it. I think in the air force, a new pilot sometimes gets a call sign or nickname that is related to something they screwed up in when they first started out. Same thing goes with Dash in the episode, I guess.   

Edited by EQ_Theta
  • Brohoof 1

I do think the writing as gotten less competent, but in my view this is a very recent thing, seemingly beginning at season 6. Now before I go on, let's establish that MLP has been a show that regularly and consistently used continuity to flesh out its characters and world, even having an effect on various plots later on in the series. Sometimes this continuity hasn't been the most consistent, probably due to the fluid change of story editors between and sometimes during seasons, and rarely has anything been retconned to any drastic degree. Let's also establish that the dialogue in this show (script wise and performance wise) has consistently been very natural, aside from a few clunky lines here and there, I haven't seen very many people criticize the show for stifled dialogue. Characterization has been very strong throughout the shows run, this is probably one of the shows strongest points, and conflicts are usually interesting enough and progress smoothly enough to keep the audience engaged, although FiM is no stranger to seemly quick heel turns and sometimes story lines that leave heads scratching, though luckily these instances are usually few and far between.

Now season 6 seems to be doing something different. The dialogue to me comes off as much more precise, direct, on the nose, stifled. The writers have chosen this season, rather then have characters do more natural things, like express their thought or feelings through actions or indirect dialogue, they now seem to directly answer back to each other in a very expository sense. I've noticed the voice acting also feels a bit stifled in quite a few scenes, obviously the script will directly contribute to how the voice acting comes out, and I'd imagine this is the reason. Perhaps this is due to the addition of a new director, and Josh heading the story editor position this season. It's hard to say.

Continuity wise, so far things seem okay, although Gautlent of Fires showcase of dragon culture seems to frame the dragon race as different than what we were initially shown during FiMs earlier seasons. Dragons were once regarded as extremely dangerous, instinctual, and fierce creatures. Gautlent of Fire chooses to ignore the adult dragons, and rather only uses campy adolescents to participate in an event that chooses the next lord of the dragons. The stakes are high sure, but the logical process is baffling, even juvenile, more so than what I've come to expect from this series, which honestly isn't all that much. This was clearly done for the convenience of writing Spike into the competition. This effects previously established continuity, and is a massive contrivance. Usually FiM avoids these kind of very blatant and obvious consistency issues with the writing, it was unfortunate for such an oversight to occur.

These are the two biggest issues I've seen so far this season regarding the writing, there's other stuff but I don't want to write a novel over the matter lol. I'm not too concerned though, we're only in season six's infancy, so things could change quickly very easily.  There was a small block before the mid season break during season 5 that had me a little worried, but season 5 turned out to be my favorite season of this entire show.

Here's to hopefully another fantastic season of horse! :)

Edited by bamboozled321

Less competent writing with continuity errors? Sometimes but I mostly see this as a "depending on the writer" case. If it is a really big contradiction over past events, it will be noticeable but for the most part, I won't let minor inconsistencies ruin the show for me.

As for episode 7 sounding like Dash is getting booted from the Wonderbolts, I doubt that will happen. From the synopsis, it seems like Dashie got into an embarrassing situation and her fellow Wonderbolts give her a "mortifying nickname" to go with it. I think in the air force, a new pilot sometimes gets a call sign or nickname that is related to something they screwed up in when they first started out. Same thing goes with Dash in the episode, I guess.   

Not booted from the Wonderbolts, booted from screentime. Dash has TONS of fans, and her friends, and, honestly have you ever heard of a military career doing GOOD things for a person's social life?

Not booted from the Wonderbolts, booted from screentime. Dash has TONS of fans, and her friends, and, honestly have you ever heard of a military career doing GOOD things for a person's social life?

I really doubt they'll give her a totally realistic military life. Most of her busy working time will probably happen off-screen, or in episodes directly dealing with Dash herself, when the writers want to use Dash for something they'll probably just use her. Remember, we don't see all the characters time, there's plenty of "In-Universe" stuff happening off screen.

Dash will be busy when it's useful for the plot or she's not necessary, and have free time when the writers wish.

*sigh* Here we go again...

Less...competent? Competent means accomplishing your work. The writers have been churning out television-quality scripts in faster time than ever as of late, so no. The writing has not gotten "less competent".

If you mean that the writing's not been as good...that is very debatable. I've not been seeing any "continuity errors", especially not recently. It's not like Starlight Glimmer and the map have just disappeared. Focusing on one character? Not one episode in this season so far has focused on just one character. I don't even count Gauntlet of Fire because that had several other characters who got plenty of screen time. And like it's already been mentioned, they've always had episodes like that where only one or a few main characters have a prominent role.

And finally...booting out Rainbow Dash?! That one baffles me the most. What gives fans even the slightest hint that a toy promotion show would just decide out of nowhere to get rid of or give the backstage to one of the main characters in the line of toys it promotes?! I remember when people were saying that they could "phase out Applejack" and just sighing in response. But at the very least, I understood the logic because Applejack was a least favorite Mane 6 character of many at the time. Rainbow, in contrast, was always a favorite Mane 6 character. But even forgetting the fact that Rainbow Dash has always been a fan favorite even in her waning years of popularity, saying that she'll be taken off the show based off a plot summary implying she might not actually become a Wonderbolt (or actually become a Wonderbolt, whatever)...is ludicrous. :okiedokieloki:    

If this is meant to be a joke...cool. But if this is meant to be serious, I suggest rethinking your stance on this because these points are simply not adding up. :confused:  

• Brohoof 4

The only time I think there was a lot of incompetent writing was in the season 5 finale, and maybe some other places here and there, but it never has been that bad overall. Yeah, the show has continuity errors here and there, but it has a looooooooooooooooooot less than what might expect form a show like this, so I can live with it. 

Imo, the writing with each season has actually gotten better, instead of worse, like many believe. Really, that's just subjective whether you think the writing is good or bad (evidenced by this thread, Lol). Many may deny that, but it's true.

As for continuity errors, sure, there's been some minor ones, but generally those could be resolved with some thought and theories from the fans (i.e Trouble Shoes' ambiguous cutie mark). Plus, aren't there really continuity errors with every show? Look at Gravity Falls, the location of the town has a lot of continuity errors, but no one really cares. After all, in both shows, there hasn't been anything so far that's really changing everything based off of one big error.

And for the Dashie thing, while I have yet to read the synopsis, I doubt that they'll 'boot her' off the show. She's a main character, it'd just be a really dumb decision to do that. I see a lot of fans jumping the gun on new episodes because they try something new or anything along those lines, and they instantly assume it's bad. Now, if we end up seeing the episode and you don't like it due to you thinking the writing's bad, that's fine since it's your perspective, but you can't just assume an episode will be good or bad based on a synopsis.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I have more of a problem when it comes to the unbalanced character screentime we have been getting season Rarity's treatment in season 3, and especially what happened in season 5 with Fluttershy, and how so far we still haven't seen much of her yet in season 6.

As well as how the timeline of the continuity of the show is kind of hard to deal with nowadays.

I could except the first 3 seasons happening in one year, but I find it really hard to buy that season 6 happens one year after the events of season 5.

Especially with the two HWE episodes.

There has been character centric episodes in the past so I don't see how that's a problem per say. Continuity is a cruel mistress to master because some episodes connect with others or reference the past, other episodes tend to focus on its own thing.

Dash on the other hand, won't get booteed since she is one of the main characters.

*sigh* Here we go again...

Less...competent? Competent means accomplishing your work. The writers have been churning out television-quality scripts in faster time than ever as of late, so no. The writing has not gotten "less competent".

If you mean that the writing's not been as good...that is very debatable. I've not been seeing any "continuity errors", especially not recently. It's not like Starlight Glimmer and the map have just disappeared. Focusing on one character? Not one episode in this season so far has focused on just one character. I don't even count Gauntlet of Fire because that had several other characters who got plenty of screen time. And like it's already been mentioned, they've always had episodes like that where only one or a few main characters have a prominent role.

And finally...booting out Rainbow Dash?! That one baffles me the most. What gives fans even the slightest hint that a toy promotion show would just decide out of nowhere to get rid of or give the backstage to one of the main characters in the line of toys it promotes?! I remember when people were saying that they could "phase out Applejack" and just sighing in response. But at the very least, I understood the logic because Applejack was a least favorite Mane 6 character of many at the time. Rainbow, in contrast, was always a favorite Mane 6 character. But even forgetting the fact that Rainbow Dash has always been a fan favorite even in her waning years of popularity, saying that she'll be taken off the show based off a plot summary implying she might not actually become a Wonderbolt (or actually become a Wonderbolt, whatever)...is ludicrous. :okiedokieloki:    

If this is meant to be a joke...cool. But if this is meant to be serious, I suggest rethinking your stance on this because these points are simply not adding up. :confused:  

Continuity errors: Starlight not being able to find the throne room despite doing so in the previous episodes. The CMC saying they only used to do things to get their cutie marks, which is not true. Yes they've done episodes based of one character before, but for the most part featured the others as well, Fluttershy hasn't even appeared since the season premiere. It's been uneven. As for Dash being a Wonderbolt, The Wonderbolts seem to be a military-like career, and are based on the Blue Angels, a flying team that, according to my research, are part of the Navy. People in the military don't get much of a social life.

I misunderstood the question but I think it's too early to say if Dashie is getting less screen time from a synopsis. I honestly thought the episode was focusing on Rainbow Dash so it would mean she would be getting a lot of the episode to herself.  For the second question, I haven't heard of military careers doing positive things to social life but I'm not in the military so I really don't have a say in it. 

Edited by EQ_Theta

I feel that everyone in the thread seems to be overthinking it. Imo it is all about perception and how when something is new and exciting(like early mlp) you tend to create fond memories of it. along with this you tend to think that things arent as good as they used to be. Its called nostalgia. Anyway, when you look back at the memories, you will think more fondly. Anyway, the reason why people are seeing the old episodes this way is the same reason why people look back at music from the 70's fondly and say things like"remember x song. it is miles ahead of anything today." the reason for this skewed perception is that there were plenty of terrible songs in the 70's, but people remember the good songs. I guess what i am trying to say is that there have been bad episodes in the earlier seasons too. but when you compare all the memorable episodes to new episodes, you are making invalid comparisons.

TLDR

when you compare new episodes to the most memorable episodes of the past, you are bound to be more critical of the newer material