Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Deepest song you've listened to?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

A few choices. One that really struck me was last to know by Three Days Grace, about being left behind by someone you cared about.

Another by Machine head, a very personal piece by front man Robb Flynn. A message to the parents that abandoned him at birth. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

(edited)

ICP - Miracles is the most deep song I've ever heard. They explain all of the mysteries of life, including magnets, giraffes, musical theory, pellicans eating cell phones at the beach, and scientists fuckin' lyin' and shit.

lol. jk

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 1

I've come across a variety over the years honestly, and listen to them all on a regular basis :D

Wake Up by EDEN is definitely one of the best though, and the lyrics are so emotional and beautiful <3

ICP - Miracles is the most deep song I've ever heard. They explain all of the mysteries of life, including magnets, giraffes, musical theory, pellicans eating cell phones at the beach, and scientists fuckin' lyin' and shit.

lol. jk

02014_2.gif

mOtHeRfUcKiN. mIrAcLeS.

• Brohoof 1

I'd be inclined to go with "I Am a Rock" by Simon & Garfunkel. "Sound of Silence" (another song by Simon & Garfunkel) and "American Pie" by John McLean would be right up there, too.

I think I'm generally a sucker for melancholic 60s music.

• Brohoof 2

I have listened to a good amount of "deep" songs, but I chose to mention Into the Ocean by Blue October.

"I wanna swim away but don't know how. Sometimes it feels just like i'm falling in the ocean. Let the waves up take me down. Let the hurricane set in motion, yeah. Let the rain of what I feel right now come down... Let the rain come down".

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hard to gauge the "deepest," but I will say a song that actually makes my chest ache every time would be (as overplayed as it is) Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." But only when Cohen performs it. The covers of this song sound so cheap - like someone heard something "deep" and wanted to mimic it. 

But you can't mimic it. You can't recreate it. Cohen's poetry and music possess such powerful confessional tones and they come from his life and experiences. You can try to recreate his words and music as much as you'd like but this is his life painted in song. It just sounds empty coming from anybody else, because chances are nobody will ever really know what those words meant to him when he wrote them. Hallelujah is his confession, his prostration, and his celebration. It's not about having the best pipes or the most emotional voice...it's about baring yourself before a greater power. Whether that be a god, or the god of song he names in the piece. It's just so lovely. I'll stop rambling now.

Here's a version of the song I really enjoy. Such a voice. ♥

And my next one is Black Coffee. Ella Fitzgerald is my number one lady and this song brings me back to dark days of tough relationships when I'd barely sleep and get by on coffee, spending my days wallowing in unrequited feelings...when I was in a committed relationship. The song has a huge presence and so much soul. She got me through some times.♥

Also I hate to be that person who brings NMH into things but Oh Comely has some really striking poetic imagery and I am still in awe of it to this day. Even though it's the biggest hipster/snob thing in the world to love NMH, I stand by this album and especially this tune. Read the lyrics and let yourself be carried away in a weird, sensual, rotten,raw, awed and strangely innocent visual journey. 

Edited by Ghostweaver

"somewhere over the rainbow" has it all.  quite soulful, a bit hopeful about things getting better, and then the last line hits you.

I love that some of you have submitted some pretty rockin' examples.  some people have a lot of depth that is hidden, and made more interesting by the trappings of the song.

For instance, "one" by metallica has a very sad story behind it.

And "Hey Ya" is a super high energy fun song that has no business being super high energy and fun because it is so sad.  

In fact, there is a really interesting cover of hey ya that matches the music to the words: