Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you believe in ghosts?

Member Berry

(edited)

I don't know how I feel about it. I believe there are things we can't sometimes explain. 

My dog keeps randomly barking at thin air in the bathroom and wagging her tail. My mother's convinced it's ghosts. It's weird but I don't think it's a "ghost" exactly.

I've been watching Ghost Adventures lately too and think there's a lot of odd things going on there. Of course some of it could be set up but if half of that is real then it's really odd.

What do you think?

Edited by Kayleigh

the word ghost makes me cringe

Despite being a complete atheist, I practically know spirits exist. From the amount of times my cats have reacted strangely to nothing being there, to me seeing the spirits of my pets who passed, and even being out on vacation/out in public and feeling, or seeing something. At this point, denying it would make me look like an idiot.

(edited)

It's weird, right? I don't really like going in the bathroom after she does that :P She acts like there is a person there. 

I'm an Atheist too so I'm naturally more sceptical. 

Edited by Kayleigh

The answer depends on what you call by "ghosts".

If for by "ghost" you mean disembodied spirits of people wandering in our world, then, no, I don't think they can do that. So in this sense you can say I don't believe in ghosts.

But I do think that people have spiritual souls, which leave this world when the body dies. I don't think that "ghost" is a good term to refer to the human soul, as the theological concept of soul is much deeper that the caricature of some floating semitransparent thing wearing a white sheet. But if you use "ghost" as a synonym for "soul", then, yes, I do believe.

On a related note, I would like to say to not get scared of people who have died. Your loved ones would not scare or do anything to harm you. And even the people who would do that, they aren't exactly in a position where they could.

• Brohoof 3

Well its just my opinion but it goes like this in my mind:

1)There is a posibility that people with unfinished business and such become ghosts and perhaps even people that just want to keep an eye on their family or someone they care of

2)There is a posibility that we totally disappear once we stop living

3)There is a posibility that we go in a place people call heaven

4)There is a posibility the place we call haven to be actually some sort of dream you get into when you leave this world ... After life meaning the life you wanted to live in your own universe or dimension ... Something like a second life.

5)There is a posibility you just get born again (<-i dont believe this one)

However I really hope number 4 would be the real one

Anyway concluding what I wrote I would say there is less that 20% for ghosts to actually exist there is a bigger chance for a scientific strange thing happening that we cant explain 

Hm... This reminds me I had a dream last night with ghosts. It was very strange, like ghost Roman chariots (ghost horses and all) charging through my backyard. o.o Creepy.

...But no, I don't believe in ghosts, because our consciousnesses are the result of chemical interactions in our brains, when our brains cease to function, so does our consciousness. Saddening.

• Brohoof 1

Not anymore. I did for the longest time, but staying at Waverly Hills Sanitarium for like 4 hours and experiencing absolute nothing was enough for me to give up the concept, I already had a lot of doubts. Shows like Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters could easily be faked. Studio money is powerful. Ghosts are a very creepy concept though, so I like the idea in terms of something scary.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not anymore. I did for the longest time, but staying at Waverly Hills Sanitarium for like 4 hours and experiencing absolute nothing was enough for me to give up the concept, I already had a lot of doubts. Shows like Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters could easily be faked. Studio money is powerful. Ghosts are a very creepy concept though, so I like the idea in terms of something scary.

I mostly binge watch them for entertainment value :P I'm re-watching this one right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzXKex54r4

If it wasn't fake then it's really weird and creepy. It's not like I work for the show so I can't say it's certainly real or it's certainly fake.

Edited by Kayleigh

I do believe in ghosts somewhat, but there's no evidence that there are really spiritual beings around us unless one believes there to be. Reading ghost stories do make me think that they are real, but then again anything can happen as a matter of coincidence.

(edited)

When you die you die, there's no sort of afterlife in a spiritual form. Your body is no longer functional meaning you don't know you're dead, but you're just dead.

Edited by Holiday

I tend to believe in ghosts. I absolutely believe we go on in spirit after we expire from out mortal meat suits. But I believe we go on to the next world. In the cases of spirits who seem to linger here, I would think they have either decided not to move on or have yet to accept the world beyond this one as the ultimate destination. 

I don't buy into the theory frequently put forth on ghost hunting shows that a person lingers because they don't know they're dead. Honestly, that seems preposterous! How could anyone still possessing any state of consciousness not be aware of something so obvious? Did they just figure people stopped interacting with them because they have bad breath or something? The suddenness of some deaths may take a person off-guard enough to have some confusion as to what to do or where to go next, so they might cling to the place they do know and understand, which could be interpreted as a haunting. 

In some cases, loved ones may stick around to watch over family members. Members of my own family have encountered lost loved ones shortly before their own time came, and they were always loving, encouraging experiences. 

Residual hauntings can be an imprint of a traumatic experience that was recorded in a time and place but have no conscious spiritual entity involved. 

I stayed at a reputedly haunted hacienda in Sonora, Mexico where the original owner was often seen or detected by dogs, who would sit up and wag their tails. I did hear footsteps without anyone apparently there. I've also heard disembodied footsteps at a place I once worked (also reputedly haunted), but that could have other explanations.

I'm not going to jump and say everything unexplained is a ghost, but I don't close my mind to any possibility that might exist. There's too much evidence to ignore. So my mind is open and certainly believing in worlds beyond our narrow scope of understanding. 

• Brohoof 1

They very much are a real thing. Yes, there is a chance the shows on TV could be faked, but it's not like the places they go to aren't exactly empty spaces...

There is a ghost in my house. I know because I've seen, heard, and felt it's presence.

(edited)

Has anybody here ever used a Ouija Board? What happened? I was a weird gothic teenager so wanted to :P nobody would ever do it with me though. I don't really want to use one now. 

Edited by Kayleigh

No, but I've never experienced anything myself so there hasn't been anything to convince me to believe in them.

From a purely scientific and sceptical point of view I do find the subject interesting though and I do watch some ghost/paranormal shows on TV.

I'm a skeptic, but I'd love to be proven wrong one day. I'm not opposed to the idea of ghosts, but a lot of the paranormal is either a clever ruse or the quirky normal, like a leaky toilet causing itself to flush at 3 am

I believe ghosts are real, but not in the normal sense. I don't believe they're human souls/spirits as is expected. No. I think they're celestial beings that are made of energy. Sort of like an elemental from WoW, but extremely transparent. I believe their energy composition is extremely weak and they drain power sources (batteries, for example) to power themselves further, but are forced to waste it on communication because humans are stupid...