Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Starlight Glimmer more powerful than Twilight?

Azureth

Twilight seemed really amazed at the kind of power SG showed by vastly boosting SWtB spell. Not even Twilight or even possibly the other Princess' can do that. 

I think that was just plot armour and Twilight also managed to perfect StarSwirl's spell which led to her ascension and during Twilight's and Starlight's first fight in the mountains Starlight said she tried mastering a spell for years and failed but Twilight mastered it thanks to her friends help.

• Brohoof 3

To be honest I think any pony or creature can be stronger then Twilight, Twilight is always unsure of herself and hesitates and she always needs somebody there to help her mostly her friends I understand that its a kids show and Hasbro wants it to be all about friendship, but she can't win alone I know in the time travel episode she was alone, but she still had Spike and Zecora had to tell her how to fix it then it went into a sob story of little Starlight Glimmer so she did not do it herself I know everybody is probably going to murder me for saying all this, but I felt like it had to be said so please people please don't murder me. :please:

• Brohoof 3

Starlight seems to know several spells Twilight doesn't but IMO Twilight has more raw power because she is an Alicorn & even as a Unicorn she lifted the Ursa Minor in Boast Buster

Starlight seems to know several spells Twilight doesn't but IMO Twilight has more raw power because she is an Alicorn & even as a Unicorn she lifted the Ursa Minor in B SWoast Buster

(edited)

I think that the question of who has more power is slightly null and void. I personally believe that they are both of equal power, if not, Twilight leads by a slim margin, which is completely extinguished by the fact that Starlight has a cunning and deceptive quality to her, and her diversity of her power is what can give her an "upper-hoof", if you will. Both Twilight and Starlight are wise beyond their years and have extensive knowledge of arcana.

Edited by Quill Waver

I am gonna say no. I have a feeling in overall magic, Twilight has the upper hoof. Starlight seems to know some spells that Twilight doesn't know and she probably has them mastered, but I feel like Twilight still knows more than Starlight does.

And if Starlight is more powerful, they better have a damn good explanation for Starlight, a Unicorn, being more powerful in magic than an Alicorn that is also the element of magic itself.

Maybe only in some areas, and certain spells. Twilight is an alicorn, who could probably overpower Starlight eventually, but they're pretty much tied.

If they fight each other equally, Starlight loses. Twilight's raw power will stomp her. However, Starlight is cunning and deceptive, Twilight is... predictable, so Starlight will OUT-PLAY Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

Both are very, very powerful in their own right, and they did fight to a stalemate in the finale, but Twilight just has more versatility than Starlight does. Starlight's been running a town under her own guise for years, but she's never expanded her knowledge and expertise past the cutie-mark stealing spell. She definitely has her own capacity to learn and build up in a short period of time.

Twilight, on the other hand, has had magical training and refined her abilities with Celestia as her mentor. Magic and it's capabilities as a source of power, a tool, and a weapon have been the main focus of her life before and throughout the show. She's been the vessel of three other alicorns' power, helped defend against a changeling siege, and defeated Tirek (but that was with her friends as well, so that might be debatable).

TL;DR, I'd say no.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Celestia shouldn't be defeated by a changeling, because it has only eaten from a single and not very special pony, but it happened anyway.

So yes, Starlight already is more powerful than Unicorn Twilight ever was and now she is at least on par with Princess Twilight. At least. Starlight in alicorn form would have pounded Tirek into dust. No doubts about that.

Edited by Swifty

(edited)

Id say that yes she is, or at least they are on the same level, and Starlight I would guess knows battle magic on a higher level than Twilight, being the kind of pony she was for so long. I do think Starlight, presumably being self trained which would limit her to some extent at least has more magical POTENTIAL than Twilight

Also everyone seems to assume "Twilight=Alicorn=Magical power went up" but has that ever really been CLEAR? like at all??? Has Alicorn Twilight ever done anything that far surpasses say, the whole Ursa Minor thing WAAAAY back in early S1? I Honestly don't think Twilight's magical abilities went up all that much when she transformed, Cadance too doesn't seem to be THAT magically powerful, like she's fairly powerful obviously to be able to put up that barrier she did in Crystal Empire, but Shining Armor was capable of huge barrier spells too. And it definitely feels like Celestia and Luna FAARRRR out match her and Twilight I think does too. Chrysalis was clearly capable of overpowering her too BEFORE she fed on Shining Armors love given how she was able to imprison her.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

I think that theyre at least evenly matched. Considering how many times they faught in the cutie map though, I guess people could use that as ground to say She is stronger then Twilight.

Not to mention she can use freaking levitation spells to fly!! And all this time I thought Little Pip was weird for being able to pull self levitation. But nope, it was done in the show. She didn't even dreak a sweat.

Though having lived in the mountains like that, I suppose she must have had a decent amount of practice. Must have come in handy.

She is certainly powerful alright, but on Twilight's level? No, she fall quite short of the mark there.

Yes, she technically "fought" Twilight to a standstill during the finale, but the fight was incredibly stacked in her favor. Take a look at what Twilight actually had to do:

She had to personally cast the time travel spell like a dozen times (and I doubt it's an easy spell to use), she had to deal with the shenanigans all the alternate worlds tossed at her in-between her brief fights with Starlight, and she had the task of beating Starlight without causing a big enough disturbance to derail the race and thus the timeline, forcing her to start all over again. And she looked like she was trying not to injure Starlight seriously (compare her mentality in Starlight's fight with the ruthlesness she displayed when truly pissed, aka her fight with Tirek).

Meanwhile, Starlight ... only had to stall Twilight - stall, not actually defeat - until she manages to do something random to derail the timeline. And didn't have to expand any extra energy in between their fights, unlike Twilight with her constant visit to other hostile worlds and constant recasting of the time travel spell.

It's actually pretty impressive from Twilight that she seemed to be tiring at the same rate as Starlight by the end of it, because she had by far the hardest job of the two. Yeah, they finished the race "even" - but only because Twilight was forced to take five steps for each of Starlight's one.

In a straight up brawl, with no timeline shenanigans that continuously force Twilight to expend extra magic and effort, while Starlight gets to rest, with Twilight playing for as much keeps as Starlight did, and with the fight actually going until one of them drops, not until a time vortex sucks Twilight away again because the surroundings were disturbed too much? Yeah, I don't think Starlight would be walking away from that one.

She strong and talented for sure, but a Twilight she is not.

• Brohoof 2

If she was, why would she be Twilight's student? I guess she needs to learn how to properly use it. Still, she doesn't seem to be more powerful than Twilight mostly, she just wants to show off more often, why Twilight seems more modest.

Then again, Twilight has liked to use interesting spells in front of others, but mostly for educational purposes I guess. In the season five finale they seemed mostly equal, without either having a major advantage. So I honestly think she is about equal to Twilight. 

I say Starlight studied the same spells as Twilight but doesn't think as much about the consequences of using the more powerful spells. When she used the time travel spell she just thought about how it could benefit her without thinking about what would happen in the long term

• Brohoof 1

Well, we have a scene where Twilight and Starlight fight, so we can analyse that.

In this fight, Starlight pretty much doesn't move at all, occasionally shooting a laser at Twilight. Twilight on the other hand, flies around a lot, tries her best to dodge Starlight's lasers, and fires a lot of lasers back as well. Most of them miss completely, and when they would've hit, Starlight dodges them easily.

At the end of the fight, they are both exhausted.

So to conclude, Twilight moved far more, shot far more, and in general used a lot more energy than Starlight, but she's just as exhausted as her.

This means that Twilight has more magical energy in general.

HOWEVER. Starlight just plainly outplays Twilight. She doesn't move much, dodges easily, etc.

So Twilight is more powerful, but Starlight is the better fighter. She was able to fight Twilight to a standstill by staying calm and using tactics.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I'm inclined to think Twilight is still the stronger mare by far.  It might be considered a bit of a hypocritical answer as the same excuse has been used with Celestia's fight with Chrysalis and I don't buy it there but I honestly think Twilight was holding back to a degree, deliberately avoiding permanent harm to any party, be it Starlight or any innocent bystanders as would be her priorities. 

In addition to unrefined combat skills and physically exerting herself in other ways as mentioned above it makes some sense.  Fighting isn't in Twilight's nature, not these days at least, she's willing to if pushed but she won't use it as a first resort when so many of her lessons have taught her there's a better way. 

(edited)

Starlight may have displayed some power when fighting Twilight, but her darker powers were only 'quicker, easier, more seductive' (to quote Yoda) and not more powerful. It may have looked effortless, but that's because it takes less effort and discipline to be evil. Twilight had to walk a finer line to maintain her standing for the side of good, and that always takes more effort, but that shouldn't reflect as a weakness in her powers. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Starlight seems to know several spells Twilight doesn't but IMO Twilight has more raw power because she is an Alicorn & even as a Unicorn she lifted the Ursa Minor in Boast Buster

Starlight seems to know several spells Twilight doesn't but IMO Twilight has more raw power because she is an Alicorn & even as a Unicorn she lifted the Ursa Minor in B SWoast Buster

See keyword Spells. Twilight knows mroe magic right? or is spell and magic the same? idk but taht's jut my thought