Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has My Little Pony been nothing but a joke all this time?

onlyone

It may be a joke to some, but it also means a lot to others. Just like everything else, the show means different things to different people. Also, it's a TV show, and like all other TV shows, the show and fans change as the show ages. That doesn't mean it has lost whatever it originally meant to you, unless you make a personal decision that it doesn't mean the same thing anymore. It's all up to you.

HOLY S!@#!!! CHILL MAN!!!!!! CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!! STOP SCREAMING!!!!!!!! WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait that is me...  :sunbutt:

In all seriousness though, I believe you are being a bit excessive. Just because some people don't like some episodes in season 6 does not mean that it is a bad show. Especially not the worst show. On my opinion, I have loved pretty much every episode of the show including season 6 (exception of Applejack's Day Off). Besides, what made this show popular in the first place was that it was a good show that some people liked, but more people hated it. So ignore other's opinions and just watch the show if you like it.

(edited)

The fandom...  Well...  How should I put this?

Oh, right.

The fandom is stupid.  *Shrugs.*  I can't put it any more point-blank than that.  Considered as a whole, the fandom has gotten so caught up in its own BS that it's become less about the show and more about itself.  A lot of the people who embraced MLP:FIM in the first place (for being something different or special) have largely lost interest or fallen off the bandwagon altogether.  If you're late to the party you aren't going to find near as many people who celebrate the series for being what it is.  What you WILL encounter are people who pick every minute of it apart, use it to attract attention to themselves and accumulate likes on Youtube, and / or write countless self-serving fanfictions.

That's the fandom today.

It's not about the show.  It's about self-preservation, at this point, and the sense of real appreciation that once fueled it creatively is gasping for air.  And this potentially applies to any fandom; they're more at home when they're miserable (or making someone else miserable).

Which is why it's so dangerous to focus on the fandom rather than the show.  Forget the fandom; watch the show if YOU want to watch it.  You'll get all the more enjoyment out of it if you steer clear of the analysts and drama and general toxicity.  There are still some worthwhile people here and there, but, when looked at from a distance, the fandom is a big steamy pile of dissatisfaction, self-importance, and constant point-missing.  Ignore that.  Ignore that because your only other option is to abandon something you might actually enjoy, and it would be far worse if it was the fandom surrounding the show that made you do that.

: D

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 8

I personally have been enjoying season 6 all the way through. I'm seeing a lot of hate towards Flutter Brutter, but in my opinion, I think the message was very helpful. I've had my handful of people who don't want to do the work themselves and expect their problems to be solved by others. So that episode helped me out quite a bit. I don't care that others hate it, because they just simply didn't relate to the problem.

You can enjoy the show regardless of what others think. I mean, my sister loves the Lion Guard and I hate it, but that doesn't stop her from enjoying it.

• Brohoof 1

All this drama circulating recently is making these forums a hell of a lot less fun, seriously, it's like NOTHING can happen without someone freaking the hell out anymore.

Seriously, I just want to talk about cute ponies doing cute things, on that show that I like about cute ponies that do cute things, why does there have to be so much DRAMA around it? It's turning the fandom pretty toxic. 

• Brohoof 1

The fandom...  Well...  How should I put this?

Oh, right.

The fandom is stupid.  *Shrugs.*  I can't put it any more point-blank than that.  Considered as a whole, the fandom has gotten so caught up in its own BS that it's become less about the show and more about itself.  A lot of the people who embraced MLP:FIM in the first place (for being something different or special) have largely lost interest or fallen off the bandwagon altogether.  If you're late to the party you aren't going to find near as many people who celebrate the series for being what it is.  What you WILL encounter are people who pick every minute of it apart, use it to attract attention to themselves and accumulate likes on Youtube, and / or write countless self-serving fanfictions.

That's the fandom today.

It's not about the show.  It's about self-preservation, at this point, and the sense of real appreciation that once fueled it creatively is gasping for air.  And this potentially applies to any fandom; they're more at home when they're miserable (or making someone else miserable).

Which is why it's so dangerous to focus on the fandom rather than the show.  Forget the fandom; watch the show if YOU want to watch it.  You'll get all the more enjoyment out of it if you steer clear of the analysts and drama and general toxicity.  There are still some worthwhile people here and there, but, when looked at from a distance, the fandom is a big steamy pile of dissatisfaction, self-importance, and constant point-missing.  Ignore that.  Ignore that because your only other option is to abandon something you might actually enjoy, and it would be far worse if it was the fandom surrounding the show that made you do that.

: D

I see you literally everywhere always criticizing everything about the fandom, without actually providing ways it can be fixed or even an ideal goal we should be striving for. You're no better than these Americans claiming to know about politics without actually providing plausible solutions to problems. I should know, because I'm from there.

All complaints, no solutions. So if you're willing, I'd like to ask you a question.

Why do you insist on fueling the very thing you so claim to hate?

quote: "they're more at home when they're miserable (or making someone else miserable)."

What you really should have put here was "We are more at home...", because I fail to see how you are any different from "us".

• Brohoof 1

Is the wish to enjoy the show and take its optimism to heart a lost cause?

I sincerely hope not, because I dearly want this, too.

A dream that is only conceived by naïve fools?

I share the same dream.  I think many do.  We just need to find ways to speak up.

Have I wasted approximately 4-5 years watching an imperfect show?

Of course not.  For starters, nothing is perfect, so that really shouldn't be a factor.  It's a great show and you love it.  Nothing was a waste.

Are the VAs and staff whom I so admire wasting their talents on this?

Of course not.  They bring much joy and positivity to the world.

Is the fandom really right about the show going down the drain?

Firstly, not everyone in the fandom feels that way.  Secondly, no, I really don't think it's "going down the drain."  As long as you still like it, that's all that should matter, but I understand how negativity can bring you down.  I still think the show has lots of great life in it.

Is My Little Pony one of the worst, no, the absolute worst thing to ever exist?

I think you know full well that's it's not.  I think you're engaging in a bit of reductio ad absurdum out of frustration, but that's okay--it's understandable sometimes.  I've been known to do it myself on these forums, notably during collisions with the Twilight Hate Club.  Of course MLP isn't horrible, though.  It's great.

Most importantly, should it all just disappear so there is one less imperfection in the world, TV quality shall soon be completely destroyed leading to its sad demise and the world should just go back to tearing itself apart?

If every imperfect thing disappeared, then there would be nothing left in this entire universe.  Just a black void.

Okay, so here's the thing--I get that it can be really frustrating when you feel like all you see are criticisms and negativity towards the show, but there's a few things you need to remember.  Firstly, I believe there is still far more positivity and love the show than there is negativity.  You just need to look in the right places.  Secondly, try to ignore the negativity if it upsets you.  Don't read the sharply critical threads.  I know it's easier said than done sometimes.  It often seems far easier and more tempting to focus on the negatives in life.  It's a problem that many people need to work on in order to be happier.  I know I certainly do.  Lastly, try to remember than criticism doesn't necessarily mean that someone hates the show, or that they are just here to rag on it and tear it apart.  I review every episode, and I can be harsh sometimes, and I criticize decisions I don't like.  I don't love every second indiscriminately, but I'm here everyday, and when I'm not here I'm usually making pony art, or out wearing pony shirts, or ponifying my games with Steam workshop mods, all because I love this show and its characters to pieces.  There are some decisions that have made me angry, and I've made that abundantly clear, but if I didn't love the show and believe in its morals, then I would still be here.  I'm not going to stick around just to complain about how crappy the show has gotten.  No, I still really love it.  Make no mistake about that.  This may sound a bit tripe, but I criticize out of love, because I think the show is easily good enough to warrant being held to a high level of quality.  It's really special, and it's had a tremendous impact on my life.  I'm passionate about things I love, and when I get passionate I tend to over-analyze and, admittedly, get a bit bent out of shape when something goes a direction I'm unhappy with.  But please don't mistake that for a hatred of the show.  Guess what?  I'm not a member of message boards for shows I hate because I don't watch them or give a crap about them.  People can analyze, and criticize, but still enjoy.  And try ignore those who just appear to do nothing but rip on the show.  From my experience, those folks tend not to stick around.  Keep your spirits up and keep enjoying what you love.

All complaints, no solutions.

I offered solutions to the OP; and for the problem the OP was seemingly facing.  I sympathized with the OP on some level, and I came in here to do (albeit more bluntly) what some of the other posters here were doing.  That is: 1. Dissuade the OP from abandoning something they enjoy.  2. Convince them that what the fandom thinks doesn't necessarily matter where their enjoyment of the show is concerned.  My solution was to separate the fandom from the show; to enjoy the show IN SPITE OF the fandom.  Something I've essentially had to do for a while now.  I was straightforward because anything less would have been disingenuous.  I didn't enter this topic with the ridiculous notion of repairing the fandom; I entered this topic with the intention of maybe helping a single person.

Why do you insist on fueling the very thing you so claim to hate?

So...  My being critical of the fandom is the same thing as the fandom being constantly and needlessly critical of a series intended for children?  Am I expected to believe that said series should be held to a higher standard than the people surrounding it?  Or that, while the show itself is open to all manner of criticism, anyone providing these exhaustive (and exhausting) critiques lies beyond reproach?  When you become a critic, you open yourself up to criticism.

Or are you implying that, by being critical of the fandom, I'm making matters worse?  Here's why that doesn't necessarily matter: I don't think there's any going back for the fandom.  Whether I say something or say nothing at all (and I've done both over the course of the two years I've been at MLPF), the fandom is likely never going to be what it once was; it's too far gone.  And even if I hadn't said anything, that wouldn't have changed that these issues exist.  I'm not making this shit up.  It might be my personal impression, but that impression is based on the real experiences I've had - and continue to have.

The moment someone takes issue with the analytical types and the in-fandom ponyhaters and the harshest critics of the show, someone inevitably says, "Well, the show isn't perfect!"  And you know what?  Neither is the fandom.  Neither is ANY fandom; which I essentially said in my initial post.  But nobody's focusing on those parts of my first post; nor the part where I said that worthwhile INDIVIDUALS do indeed exist within this fandom.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't enter this topic with the ridiculous notion of repairing the fandom; I entered this topic with the intention of maybe helping a single person.

Which you did by trying to show how separate he or she could be from the fandom. You say you are only talking about individuals, yet you continuously act like you and the OP are not a part of "the fandom", and that the fandom itself is somehow the bad guy. You keep referring to the fandom like you aren't a part of it, you say "it", "itself", "they", and "the fandom", but never "we", like it's some sort of goal to displace yourself from it.

Your entire first paragraph was hyper-opinionated trite that you couldn't push on anyone with at least a ounce of self-thinking. Why in the world is is so bad for us to criticize the show, but you can criticize the fandom all do-long day? Why is criticism even bad at all? It means people care about the show enough to point out it's flaws. I also noticed you failed to state the amount of threads about "favorite episode" or "favorite pony" that do literally nothing but praise the best parts of the show, the very thing you claim to be non-existent in "the fandom". It seems to me that your just upset the original people who joined the fandom, the "I'll-join-because-its-cool" people left, and now just the actual fans are staying behind. The ones who are willing to sit through a few sh*tter episodes to get to the good stuff.

So...  My being critical of the fandom is the same thing as the fandom being constantly and needlessly critical of a series intended for children?

That is the mindset on which the entire fandom is based against. Why the h*ll does it matter that the show is intended for children? By society's rules, that just means that it isn't worth anybodies times, right? That it's a sub-par show by default, and not live-action Hollywood drama. Those are what's meant to be taken seriously. 

Needlessly critical, huh? Critique is never ever needless. Again, we can just spout out "Oh, its a children's show", right? It's not even worth the time to try and fix with critique. I'd like you to tell that to any artist who you think is not worth the time to be critical. My Little Pony is an art form, no matter what you say. That is objective fact. And being an art form, it is always worthy of useful critiques that may help it become better in the future.

Or are you implying that, by being critical of the fandom, I'm making matters worse?  Here's why that doesn't necessarily matter: I don't think there's any going back for the fandom.

This is my favorite part of your entire little essay, where you pretty much say to my face that I'm right

Why are you being critical of the fandom... If you don't think it can be fixed? That means there is literally no reason to your critiques, which are really just insults you hide behind a nicer word. The only thing you intend to do here is insult the fandom. If there is truly no hope for the fandom, why even bother trying to critique it? You just want to insult the fandom, because you haven't gotten the experience you want. If you can't enjoy the fandom for what it is, you might as well tell everybody else why they can't either. You add fuel to the fire because you can, not because you think it will help in any way.

But you're right on one front. All the people who like the show at face value, all the people who hopped on the bandwagon, all the people who felt they were watching a children's show and nothing more... left years ago, and the only difference between them and you, is that for some reason, you didn't go with them.

My Little Pony is an art form, no matter what you say.
No. It is not. A individual show is not a art form. 

Why are you being critical of the fandom... If you don't think it can be fixed?
Why can't he be critical of the fandom if he don't think it can change? Also a user on this forum once said that :

Critique is never ever needless.

all the people who felt they were watching a children's show and nothing more... left years ago,
I'm still here so there's at least one of them left.

Literally I am amazed at the level of overreaction, not just by the OP. Seriously this is just a cartoon, it's not worth getting this upset over and seriously if other people don't like it you don't need to feel bad about liking it. Are you watching the show for yourself or for the fandom, because if you're watching for the fandom you are being foolish. From my experience fandoms can not be pleased and in many regards have bad seeds that try to spoil the fun for everyone, this one is no exception. Like what you like and ignore he stupid fandom.

(edited)

Another one of those threads. Seriously. Just watch the damn show. If you can't stand what other people are saying about the show, you can do one of two things: stop listening to what other people are saying about the show, or stop watching the show.

Is MLP nothing but a joke? Yes. It's just some crazy idea whose genesis involves a horse in Japan and the fantasies of some red-headed girl from Maryland when you get down to it. It's just that some are better at seeing more in it than others.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

No. It is not. A individual show is not a art form.

So this (http://bit.ly/298WKxt) isn't art either? By your logic "A individual" painting is also not art.

Why are you being critical of the fandom... If you don't think it can be fixed? Why can't he be critical of the fandom if he don't think it can change? Also a user on this forum once said that : SolyWack, on 30 Jun 2016 - 12:54 PM, said: Critique is never ever needless.

Nice try there smart guy, if you read what I wrote, I also said: 

That means there is literally no reason to your critiques, which are really just insults you hide behind a nicer word.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is dead to me. If you felt like Ziggy's stance was strong enough, you wouldn't need to hop in and protect him.

So this (http://bit.ly/298WKxt ) isn't art either? By your logic "A individual" painting is also not art

Never said that MLP isn't art. What I did say however is that it isn't a art form. You do know that it's a difference between those two.

Nice try there smart guy, if you read what I wrote, I also said:

I wouldn't say that what ziggy wrote was insults. It may be a little harsh but it's still criticism of the fandom. After all criticism is "a remark or comment that expresses disapproval of someone or something". And what Ziggy said was a comment that expresses disapproval in something. So by definition what he said is criticism.

If you felt like Ziggy's stance was strong enough, you wouldn't need to hop in and protect him.

I didn't join the discussion becausediscussion because I needed to help Ziggy, I did it because I wanted to join this discussion. It just so happens that I agree with what Ziggy is saying.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh, for crying out loud.... :dry:

Yet another thread offering a genuine opportunity to equate anyone who has criticisms of the show as a hater who is simply content to trash the show for all eternity. 

You know what, let's just lay it down straight: 

The show is perfect. It has been perfect, it always will be perfect. The notion that it has dropped in quality with season 6 is so outlandish that it cannot be entertained in the slightest. Because it's perfect. There is no such thing as a bad FiM episode. If this show has any problems at all, it's simply the haters who can't appreciate that every single episode is a work of art that is worthy of praise. 

Let's all just accept this, and move on.  :D
Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 4

So I've been watching this show from about halfway through the first season, and here's the thing: People have been saying the show is no longer good since the second season. Why does this happen? I have my own speculations about that, but there's no real way to prove any of them. In the end, histrionics about the show's quality are always going to be around. Someone's always going to be saying this episode or that signals the final downfall of this once great children's cartoon. I can't even say that the fandom drama has been recent. Maybe it has briefly spiked, but for me, it hasn't broken the noise floor yet, so I don't know.

The fact is, some of the show's absolute best episodes have been this season. The voice acting is as on point as ever, the music has been mostly superb, and the animation has literally never been better. Yes, we're in a thematically wholly different place from where we were in the first season, but even that isn't inherently bad. It's just different.

Point is, rather than listen to the people who are more concerned with why they didn't like this episode or that than why they liked it, just form your own opinions, and focus on the positives. Once it becomes consistently impossible for you to like anything about a season, then maybe it will be time to sound the death knell of My Little Pony. Until then, my advice having been in the game for over five years, is just have fun with it.

• Brohoof 2

So you heard some reviews about s6 being really bad and therefore you don't like the show that you've loved for years? that's......different.

(edited)

You know this problem of mine isn't going to vanish overnight. I want this thread to be made known to everyone who has already started deploring season 6.

I still want to watch but maybe I need to take time off. Until I get absolute, 101% that S6, when it ends, is enjoyed by the majority, this hurt isn't going to leave. That's the whole reason why I created this thread in the first place: to call out on those who have torn this season 6 to shreds until there isn't anything worthwhile to see it anymore.

Edited by onlyone

You know this problem of mine isn't going to vanish overnight. I want this thread to be made known to everyone who has already started deploring season 6.

I still want to watch but maybe I need to take time off. Until I get absolute, 101% that S6, when it ends, is enjoyed by the majority, this hurt isn't going to leave. That's the whole reason why I created this thread in the first place: to call out on those who have torn this season 6 to shreds until there isn't anything worthwhile to see it anymore.

Well I hate the show entirely now, and you probably won't ever change that.

The fact is, some of the show's absolute best episodes have been this season.

I didn't know that was a fact. 

• Brohoof 1

If people's opinions about your show affects you so greatly don't go looking for them. Just watch the show. Naruto has been an awesome show for me no matter how long the series has gotten and eventually there were tons of critical people that hate on it and call Naruto fans Narutards. What do I do with those people? Not go looking for them that's all.

That's the whole reason why I created this thread in the first place: to call out on those who have torn this season 6 to shreds until there isn't anything worthwhile to see it anymore.

Yes, each of those people should truly be ashamed of themselves for having opinions that make you feel insecure about the show. In fact, I'd say they all owe you an apology. 

Until I get absolute, 101% that S6, when it ends, is enjoyed by the majority, this hurt isn't going to leave

Ironically, I'm almost certain that the "majority" of the fandom have been mostly positive towards season 6. In fact, I would honestly wager that you've come across more people with mixed opinions towards it, and far less people who have flat-out hated it.

The reason you have insecurities is because you, like several others in the fandom, do not wish to entertain the notion that the show may have dropped in quality and season 6 really just isn't that good. So you've made this thread, probably hoping to create a circle-jerk of fans who are quick to proclaim the the show is still just as perfect as it ever was and that those who believe otherwise are simply content to hate it no matter what. 

Because clearly, it doesn't matter that many cartoons struggle to retain their quality once they move beyond 100 episodes.

Because clearly, it doesn't matter that nearly every single one of FiM's veteran writers have since left, which is normally something that almost never bodes well for a show's continued quality. 

Because clearly, it doesn't matter that seasonal rot is indeed a thing, and few cartoons manage to stay immune to it, especially when they cross over 100 episodes. 

Honestly, I truly doubt that there's a single person who has posted in this thread that truly cares whether or not you continue watching the show. It's perfectly fine if you continue watching and disagree with the notion that the show's quality has dropped, but it doesn't make the opposite opinion any less valid for those who hold it. 

• Brohoof 6

I didn't know that was a fact. 

Well, if you're dead set on believing otherwise, there's nothing I can do to convince you. I'm curious, though, what season you think has done better in their first half.

(edited)

I honestly cannot comprehend why others' opinion should affect your enjoyment of the show. Why do they matter so much to you? Everyone is entitled to have different opinions especially since MLPFIM isn't a perfect show. It was never a perfect show. It will never be a perfect show. What do I tell you? MLPFIM isn't an almighty perfect god or anything, and the internet as a whole isn't a big hugbox or safe space or whatever.

I know this thread concerns MLPFIM specifically, but I seriously hope you don't have the same outlook with other aspects of your life (following the logic of "I like X, but others don't like X, therefore I cannot enjoy X") because then where is your agency? Does your opinion on things heavily depend on whatever is the most agreed upon notion regardless of what it is? Maybe that's a stretch on my part, but I'm hoping that's not your mentality on things in general.

People have criticized MLPFIM for as long as it existed, but I enjoy the show regardless. If I ever stop enjoying the show, it will depend on my own enjoyment rather than others' enjoyment of the show. Another example, I enjoy playing COD despite being aware of many flaws and negative criticisms.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 3

As others have said, You can not base your like or dislike of something on what others say or do. 

MLPFiM and the fandom at large, is a very diverse and broad thing. At the end of the day you like what you like, you don't like what you don't like. It doesn't matter one iota what others think of that. Keep to what you enjoy, ignore the 'haters' as you young people like to call it. 

Just $.02 from a old earth pony. 

I mean, why bother letting other's opinions on the show or the show's direction bother you. I try to never let other's opinions on an episode bother me and guess what, I enjoy the show more. Imagine how painful it would be to have enjoyed an episode, then see one post or

video criticizing said episode, then deciding to change your whole opinion. Sure there's bringing a whole new prespective on the episode. But then there's just following someone else's points, parroting everything they said. I've unfortunatly seen this mentality with a lot of reviewers, both in this fandom and out. All you need to to is care about what your opinion is, not analyst #27's opinion.

• Brohoof 1