Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does MLP deserve to be cancelled right now/abruptly/etc. for being imperfect?

meduni

Even the best shows have their flaws. Even MLP had flaws from the very beginning. For example, I still think they let Nightmare Moon/Princess Luna off the hook a little too easily. Plus, while I do agree with those that say the show isn't as good as it used to be, I don't think it's bad enough to warrant cancellation. If you want it to end before it gets too bad, I can understand that. Heck, as much as I'd hate to see the show end, I wouldn't mind that myself, but just because it has some flaws seems ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

The only way MLP would get cancelled is for one of two reasons, judging by the most recent trend in television. 

1. If MLP falls too fast in ratings then they may consider to be on the chopping block to be cancelled, which is why it's important to watch the episodes on Air or through something like Hulu or the like. As long as people are watching it, MLP will be considered profitable. 

2.People don't buy merchandise.  Merchandise, this is Hasbro after all and supporting the show means buying the official merchandise on occasion. Such as DVD sets, books, toys, or just silly novelty stuff.  Even if you don't necessarily want it, buy to support the show and if you really don't want it, give it to another member of the fandom or charity. Toys for Tots always has a huge request for MLP toys and they're the most loved toys at local shelters. Buying some new ones would make peoples days. 

Shows don't get cancelled for something like a bad episode, there are entire arcs in certain shows that are considered awful and yet they weren't cancelled. I don't think there needs to be any fear that MLP will be cancelled as long as the show is continuously supported by the public. 

Edited by Seraph
  • Brohoof 3

I will admit that I dislike S6.

however, I would not want it to be canceled atm; They can still turn things around and mostly its just "meh", not "Horrible". This could change, and I'm not liking the direction things have gone with the other 5 being cameos in two parters and movies (Them being glorified power batteries in Friendship games, and the last 2 Two parters have them as cameos), but at the moment, NO, they should not cancel it.

Additionally, sales are still strong: they dropped for the first time in a long time in the last quarter, but that was due to brexit, so its highly probable they'll bounce back up, especially if guardians of harmony takes off; and that ALONE is reason enough for me to want to see the show continue on, as I feel that has serious potential, as I've wanted more magical girl/action/adventure stuff since S1.

Plus, we still got the movie, and unless its terrible, that's something to look forward to.

• Brohoof 2

Not with the characters I've worked my flank off to create ALONG with the stories behind their personalities.

LOL, you can still keep your OC's after a show's been canceled :P

Look at how many random DBZ OC's existed after DBZ/GT ended.

Excuez mon français, but I have to shoot straight and say that this is one of the most idiotic and illegitimate questions I've ever heard asked on this forum, and I'm absolutely done with people griping over how others don't like Season 6 and are trying to project this on the show. I used to love the Show Discussion forum, but now I can't ignore these threads because of the sheer frequency at which the same questions come up, how stupid they all sound, and how the rest of us have to keep answering the same way.

There's just one simple answer to it. Think for yourself. If it's not good enough for you, don't watch it. If others aren't saying what you want to hear, formulate a good argument or get out of the way. Let Hasbro decide when to end it.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 3

MLP is not even perfect from the beginning, it should be erased from the beginning (yes that what i wanted when i was an anti-brony :orly:  and look at what i am now...  a fanboy of the show i hated).... Anyway, there is no such a perfect show, even a masterpiece can be full of holes if you nitpick too hard  :orly:

Cancelled abruptly? Nah, that would suck. Would I want it to end before it ends up like The Simpsons? Absolutely. I'd rather the series go out on a strong note than keep going and going while going through the motions of what made it great in the first place but clearly missing the spark that it was known for. Sure, it's debatable whether the series has jumped the shark by this point, and the last few episodes haven't been the strongest, not to mention that this season is more slice of lifey in nature and hasn't quite delivered what fans have been expecting, but it's still a decent series IMHO.

Apparently the writers actually write the endings of season finales to be open ended enough to keep fans wanting more while also allowing for the possibility of that being the series ending if the show is cancelled between seasons. It makes it sound like the writers aren't planning for a series finale, but are open to the possibility of the plug being pulled unexpectedly by either the network or Hasbro themselves. At least a season finale can make for a series ending that doesn't feel completely abrupt but my preferred way for the series to end would be for an ending that has been planned and ties up most if not all of the loose ends.

• Brohoof 1

While I'd rather not see the show outright canceled, it needs a break of 3-5 years while some behind the scenes restructuring occurs. The show was hit and miss from day one, but the overall quality has declined enormously with Season 6, a trend that I feel can be attributed to the massive influx of new writers, a rushed production schedule, and the lack of a strong showrunner and story editor. Josh Haber's own episodes have ranged from dull at best to utterly abysmal at worst, and it's absolutely baffling that he's now in charge and directing other writers. Put bluntly, I feel that the show would benefit greatly in quality if he was no longer involved with it.

The writing staff needs to be painstakingly overhauled from the ground up. While there are a handful of current writers that have shown promise and could merit staying, most of the recent additions deserve to go, if their early outings are anything to judge by. In their place, the staff needs writers who, going in, are already deeply familiar with the series and its characters, and who have a passion for the material they're working on. Friendship is Magic has a diehard fandom numbering in the millions, and while I realize that the overwhelming majority of those fans are neither superb writers nor qualified to craft stories geared toward television, rather than prose, in a timely manner, there has to be a handful of fans that meet those criteria.

The trick, then, is separating the needles from the hay, so to speak. One approach would be for Hasbro to organize some form of community contest, in which fans above a certain age post stories written in accordance with the standards of a script for a 22-minute television program. Given the massive flood of submissions such a contest would receive, early screening would be done by the community itself, with the best works rising to the top through peer review, similar to the voting system FimFiction has. A second round of review from among these candidates would be done by specifically appointed judges. Individuals that made it past this phase would then be rigorously interviewed and subjected to additional tests, such as writing a script focusing on a certain character or incorporating a corporate demand into a story. In the end, a small team of writers would be assembled from those left standing, ideally one selected to provide a balanced set of strengths.

The final component of the reorganized staff would be a new showrunner, someone who both has a strong understanding of the story material and possesses plenty of actual industry experience in management and editing, someone with a staunch dedication to quality control who knows when and how to salvage an idea and when to reject it entirely. Getting the right person for this position is absolutely crucial, and unfortunately would be no easy undertaking. Larson and McCarthy stand out as candidates, of course, both having held the position in the past; but while it is likely necessary for the showrunner to be someone who, in addition to being qualified, has actually worked on the show for a number of years, both Larson and McCarthy allowed numerous dismal scripts to pass through their scrutiny. Perhaps the position should be split, with a seasoned FiM staff member focusing on management and broad story direction, and another, potentially new, employee serving as story editor and quality control.

With its composition restructured, the writing staff would slowly take the time to plan and assemble a season's worth of scripts. With the show on hiatus, they would be allotted far more time than usual for writing, with Hasbro focusing on airing new content for other properties (with the animation teams and other members of the FiM staff being temporarily reassigned to these properties) while relying on reruns, the fandom, and new toys to keep FiM relevant. While this extended writing time would inflate production costs, the difference would be fairly minor, considering most of the cost of episodes comes from producing scripts rather than creating them. In addition, 'promoted' fan writers could have salaries less than those of normal industry professionals. Given that they'd still be getting to write for the series they're so passionate toward, I doubt many of them would be dissuaded by such an arrangement.

I freely admit that I have no inkling whether such an approach is genuinely plausible. I have no professional experience in any relevant area, and am ultimately basing my assertions on conjecture. However, I feel that this would ultimately result in FiM being better than ever, with episodes at worst still being fairly strong. Gone would be stories written by people who don't care about, or understand, the characters and are just writing for the next paycheck. In their place would be passionate love letters to characters that powerfully resonate with their writers. Even if this method cut into Hasbro's profits in the short term, it would rejuvenate the brand and help it remain strong for years to come, rather than gradually withering away as it draws closer and closer to becoming the sort of schlock that MLP was before Lauren Faust came along.

Edited by Captain Sorzo

what's with this "we all"?

I'm not angry at MLP at all and i still enjoy it and no show is perfect because you cant make everyone happy, someone always finds something to not like

• Brohoof 2

It's average tendencies and imperfection makes its quality shine even more when Hasbro/DHX get it right. The show steadily improved year on year every season up until this current one, and if they can iron out this seasons kinks, next season should be great (based on prior record).

So to answer the question, it doesn't deserve to be canceled due to this seasons' imperfect quality so far, that would be mad.

• Brohoof 2

By that logic, you might as well just shut down every TV show to the point where there's nothing left to watch.

Pretty much this. Every show has it's ups and downs, and you can't please everybody. 

No, of course not.  No show is perfect.  If you look hard enough, even the mighty Game of Thrones probably isn't absolutely perfect.  The difference for me is that this is the only show I review and analyze.  It's just something I enjoy doing.  It doesn't mean I hate it or think it should be cancelled.  @@meduni, you shouldn't let others' opinions or criticisms diminish your enjoyment of the show.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

Perfection is subject to perception. And since perception is subjective, therefore, yes and no at the same time.

It's doesn't matter, but then, nothing really does. Yet I seem to struggle within this thoughts.

Neglecting the opposite reflection reality offers to me, the same way I reject myself. Therefore I'm obsessed with perfection, something I'm not.

Meaningless

Not sure if you are being serious, or are just trolling to get us all riled up  :orly:. I'm gonna assume the former, and just say that every single tv show in history has always been imperfect. There has never been a show that was absolutely perfect with no flaws whatsoever.

That's just the nature of the fine arts. Whether it be film, TV, writing, music, artwork, etc... you will never create a product that will please everybody. You just learn to accept the shortcomings and enjoy what was produced. I love all of the imperfections that MLP has and wouldn't want it any other way  :proud:

I think, that a true fan would want it to end at S6. The show is dragged to the ground like The Simpsons and Fairy Odd Parents. It will be remembered not as a great show, but as some wierd occurance where it gain a world known popularity only to become an obscure meme 6 years after the initial hype. Just like Fairy Odd Parents, many people didn't realise that the show is still airing, even the original fans of the first series. We should just let MLP go and maybe wait for the new reboot.