Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming I Just Bought A PS1 - Any Games You Can Recommend?

OmegaBeamOfficial

OK, so I just bought the original PS1 off eBay, and I was wondering if anypony here either still plays or has played a PS1 in their lives could give me some recommendations for any games I should buy for it. Now I understand that whether certain games are good or bad are really subjective and depend on the player's opinion, but I want to hear what the community has to say regarding this kind of thing so I can maybe do a little more research on the game and decide if I want to buy it or not. Thanks guys, and if It's not too much hassle, although I will do further research on any recommendations I get, some basic information would be really appreciated, even if It's just the genre or whether It's part of a game series, or maybe even why you yourself enjoy it.

If you like platformers, the Crash Bandicoot trilogy would be some really good games to try. More specifically 2 and 3, which are a lot of fun to play through, and even more fun if you like going for 100%. 1's aged a bit and I wouldn't recommend it as highly, but it's still a good game. 2's probably the best starting point. Just recently played them myself and really enjoyed them.

If you like stealth and heavily story-based games, the first Metal Gear Solid is a pretty good choice. It's controls are a bit clunky, but the gameplay is still pretty enjoyable, and the story and writing are fantastic.

• Brohoof 4

The original Spyro and Crash Bandicoot Trilogies hold up even today if you can find them. The first one for both are bit rough around the edges, but the the rest are still solid and enjoyable collectathon games

If you're more in the mood for RPGs, I would recommend the cult classic Legend of Dragoon. The translation is a bit... blunt force, but the gameplay is engaging and fun.  

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 4

I could give you a fairly lengthy list of games, honestly. What do you like to play? RPGs? Platformers? Horror?

There's a lot out there. From lesser known but very creative (for the time) games like Granstream Saga to games based on cartoons like Looney Tunes: Lost In Time. Maybe some timeless classics that defined genres like Metal Gear Solid and Spyro the Dragon?

Galerians, a survival horror like Resident Evil but following the story of a kid who has mysterious psychic powers he can't explain that go haywire if you don't regularly medicate him?

Klonoa: Door the Phantomile, a mystical quest that starts out rather cartoony but turns into a much deeper adventure in order to save the world from eternal darkness?

Wild Arms 1 and 2, a fairly obscure RPG series that to this day has quite the fanbase that loves the sci-fi meets western setting and puzzle-based dungeons?

PS1 was the proving grounds for many modern gamers. It's how we learned to love the big games and appreciate the growing quality of lesser known ones.

• Brohoof 2

Other than the games already stated above, Digimon world 3 was one I really enjoyed

Digimon World games are also hella expensive though. A lot of PS1 games can be a bit pricey but if you want a Digimon World 3 that works you're going to be paying at least $200 usually unless you get really really lucky. :P

Lunar 2 is the same way. Unlike the first Lunar which was at least ported (remade?) to PSP later there are only two versions of Lunar 2: PS1 and Sega Saturn. Neither is cheap and both are rare. You will likely never find them on Playstation Network either making them that much harder to get a hold of.

• Brohoof 2

oh boy. where do I begin

Final Fantasy Tactics and Metal Gear Solid are my top pics, but aside from those

- Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX

- Metal Gear VR Missions

- Resident Evil 2 and 3

- Tekken 3

- Klonoa 

- Megaman X4 and X5(X6 is hard to recommend, give a try though if you enjoyed the other 2)

- Megaman Legends 1, 2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne

- Megaman 8

- Syphon Filter 1-3

- Legend of Dragoon

- Crash Trilogy

- Spyro Trilogy

- Symphony of the Night

- Silent Hill

Based on my personal experience, some of these games can be expensive though, like the Megaman Legends games and Klonoa

• Brohoof 3

oh boy. where do I begin

Final Fantasy Tactics and Metal Gear Solid are my top pics, but aside from those

- Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX

- Metal Gear VR Missions

- Resident Evil 2 and 3

- Tekken 3

- Klonoa 

- Megaman X4 and X5(X6 is hard to recommend, give a try though if you enjoyed the other 2)

- Megaman Legends 1, 2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne

- Megaman 8

- Syphon Filter 1-3

- Legend of Dragoon

- Crash Trilogy

- Spyro Trilogy

- Symphony of the Night

- Silent Hill

Based on my personal experience, some of these games can be expensive though, like the Megaman Legends games and Klonoa

A lot of these games can be obtained on the PS3 via Playstation Network too if that's also an option for you, OmegaBeam. It'll be a lot cheaper in the long run.

• Brohoof 2

Wow! This thread has strange timing... My brother recently acquired a refurbished PSOne! Like, two days ago!

I've been playing the first Wild ARMS game on it. It's pretty awesome!

post-29629-0-32409700-1472854132.png

I've played the PS2 version of the first game, before (Alter Code:F), but according to my brother, and my early experiences so far,

the PS2 version is not just a prettied up version of the PS1 Game.

They are, like, very different games.

Both are cool, though.

====================

He also got Wild Arms 2. I've only played it a little bit.

post-29629-0-17814600-1472855063_thumb.png

I'm not to sure about this game.

My brother says the storyline is kinda darker than the other games...

But I'm gonna try to be brave, and give it a go, after I finish playing the First Game. :awuh:

====================

A certain somepony wants me to mention an advantage you have, when playing PS1 games on a PS1, instead of a download from the Playstation Store...

post-29629-0-79481600-1472855387_thumb.png

Any old Gameshark will work on the gray Playstations,

but the GameShark Lite is designed to also be compatible with the white "slim/small" PSOne systems.

If you aren't in the USA, i think they call them Action Replay or Codebreaker or something like that...

• Brohoof 2

oh god, i have TONS of playstation games... they are all good, heres a quick list.

some of these will probably be said before, but this is my favs

castlevainia sotn

final fantacy anthology (ff6 is my fav of all ff games)

grand turismo (1 and 2)

all of the resident evils (director cuts if you can)

all of the metal gear solid games

twisted metal (any of them)

tales of destiny

beyond the beyond

final fantacy 7-8-9(i think they are all ps1)

nightmare creatures

red asphalt

colony wars

C&C

ridge racer

armored core masters of the arena (you can make and fight many, MANY, armored units!!!)

vagrent story

valkirye prophile

omega boost

ratchet and clank

jack and daxter

bloody roar ( any of them, but the new breed is my fav!)

thats all that i can think of at the moment...

• Brohoof 2

oh god, i have TONS of playstation games... they are all good, heres a quick list.

some of these will probably be said before, but this is my favs

castlevainia sotn

final fantacy anthology (ff6 is my fav of all ff games)

grand turismo (1 and 2)

all of the resident evils (director cuts if you can)

all of the metal gear solid games

twisted metal (any of them)

tales of destiny

beyond the beyond

final fantacy 7-8-9(i think they are all ps1)

nightmare creatures

red asphalt

colony wars

C&C

ridge racer

armored core masters of the arena (you can make and fight many, MANY, armored units!!!)

vagrent story

valkirye prophile

omega boost

ratchet and clank

jack and daxter

bloody roar ( any of them, but the new breed is my fav!)

thats all that i can think of at the moment...

Does Final Fantasy Anthology come with Chrono Trigger? Or is it the other FF-Pack thing?

Chrono Trigger is one of my all time fav SNES Games. I also have the DS Version, but haven't played it much cause I would rather play it on a TV.

I've been thinking about getting the Playstation version. I heard it has anime cutscenes and other extra stuff. :pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

Does Final Fantasy Anthology come with Chrono Trigger? Or is it the other FF-Pack thing?

Chrono Trigger is one of my all time fav SNES Games. I also have the DS Version, but haven't played it much cause I would rather play it on a TV.

I've been thinking about getting the Playstation version. I heard it has anime cutscenes and other extra stuff. :pinkie:

my anthology came with a bonus audio cd composed of some songs from ff5 and ff6.

and I forgot chrono trigger because my friends played that while I was playing others, I just never got the chance...

• Brohoof 2

Anthology comes with FFV and VI, Chronicles comes with IV and Chrono Trigger

• Brohoof 2

I also have three "Tales of" Games for PSone.

I'll take some photos, and talk about them, after I finish eating dinner.

One of them (Tales of Phantasia) never officially got an English version, but there's a patch available.

Also, Tales of Eternia was re-named "Tales of Destiny II" when released officially in the USA, which is confusing,

because Eternia is not a sequel to Destiny,

AND as there is a "Tales of Destiny II" game for PS2 that IS a sequel to Destiny. :confused:

• Brohoof 1

OK, so I just bought the original PS1 off eBay, and I was wondering if anypony here either still plays or has played a PS1 in their lives could give me some recommendations for any games I should buy for it. Now I understand that whether certain games are good or bad are really subjective and depend on the player's opinion, but I want to hear what the community has to say regarding this kind of thing so I can maybe do a little more research on the game and decide if I want to buy it or not. Thanks guys, and if It's not too much hassle, although I will do further research on any recommendations I get, some basic information would be really appreciated, even if It's just the genre or whether It's part of a game series, or maybe even why you yourself enjoy it.

The first Alundra

Lunar Silver Star Story

Castle Vania symphony of the night

Granstream Saga

Gran Turesmo 

Tobal

Final Fantasy VII (and Final Fantasy IX)

Rayman

Blood Omen Legacy of Kain

Twisted Metal

That's a partial list from memory

• Brohoof 2

"Tales of" Games Update

The Tales of games span across consoles, from the Super Nintendo, on through the Playstation 4.

I'm just gonna focus on the ones for the Playstation 1, since that's what this thread is all about.

My brother and I have played almost every Tales of game, together, since most are multiplayer (during the battles). These games are in the Japanese RPG genre, but with a twist. The battles are not menu-driven.

Well, to be fair, you can open a menu during battles, and it pauses the battle, and you can manually select items to use, change button layouts, spells, skills, and stuff, but really, you mostly are gonna be using button combos for your standard and special attacks.

The things I like the best about the Tales of Series, are the storylines, and the exploration.

Tales of Phantasia is a re-make of Namco's very first Tales of game.

It was originally made for the Super NES, and has been re-released on several platforms, including the PSOne.

post-29629-0-38492800-1472862004_thumb.png

The Disk Art shown above is not official. It's something my brother made for the English-Patched version of the Japanese game.

http://youtu.be/MHR6wdUBSgc

It's about a dude named Cress, and his best friend Chester, and there's Time Travel, and a Mana Tree, and there is a Half-Elf named Arche that rides on a broom. Hilarity ensues.

The PS1 version, of this game, never got an official English release,

but there's a link to a fan-made patch, a few posts above this one.

Tales of Destiny

post-29629-0-38082600-1472862057_thumb.png

http://youtu.be/hlkxTnjdLrk

It's about a dude named Stahn, who sleeps like a rock, and meets a Talking Sword,

and meets Other People, and more Talking Swords,

and they have to save the world, and stuff.

Tales of Destiny II (Eternia)

Synopsys Coming Soon!

===== Update =====

Tales of Destiny II (Eternia)

post-29629-0-46070200-1472865881.png

post-29629-0-92881900-1472865885_thumb.png

http://youtu.be/gV2LtbRgJ64 <-- Link to the YouTube video of the Opening Animation

There's no sound until the 15 second mark. That's normal.

Of the three, this one has the best storyline, IMHO.

It also features tons of English voice acting, and has lost of anime style cutscenes.

Reid and Farah, meet a strange girl named Meredy, in the forest, and they embark on a quest, to help out Meredy.

Edited by Onion Sing
  • Brohoof 2

Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Riot's Rage, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon are my top recommendations. The original Spyro trilogy really just means so much to me. <3

Aside from that I would also recommend Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, NFL Blitz, Crash Team Racing, and Disruptor.

• Brohoof 2

It depends on what type of games you're looking for, but these are the game that i may recommend, but these are the game I may have played previously although I haven't played some so I've only seen what my brothers play

Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9

Metal Gear Solid 1 - There's a MGS trilogy that comes with MGS1-3 so probably you can use that.

Legend of Mana

Dragon Quest / Warrior 7 - in 3DS version, it's called Dragon quest 7: Fragments of the forgotten past.

Digimon World 1-3

Final Fantasy Tactics

Star Ocean the second story

SaGa Frontier 1

Chrono Cross

Suikoden 1 and 2

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Mega Man X4, 5, and 6

Wild Arms 1

Einhander

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Soul Blade

Alundra 1

Ehrgeiz

R-Type Delta

Twisted Metal 2 and 3

Jet Moto 1

Tony Hawk Pro skater 1 and 2

Umjammer Lammy

Vagrant Story

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Vandal Hearts

and Xenogears - Not only this game is a single player, but there's also 2 player vs mode when you get to the point of the game

This is pretty much what I recommend so far, but it's what I played previously.

• Brohoof 2